Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

I tried this 8 Degrees Simcoe rye. Very nice.

But the piece de resistance was a bottle of lovely Orval, which I was just in the mood for. Delicious.

I have a bottle of Full Sail to go.

Does anyone know of other 'sour' beers for sale around Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

sarkozy wrote: »
    I tried this 8 Degrees Simcoe rye. Very nice.

But the piece de resistance was a bottle of lovely Orval, which I was just in the mood for. Delicious.

I have a bottle of Full Sail to go.

Brown paper bag Gose is very good

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

sarkozy wrote: »
    Boon is easy enough found in the good beer off licences: Oude Gueze Boon and Mariage Parfait are what you want, avoid the fruit ones. Some of the better offies have Cantillon beer too. All their stuff is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

BeerNut wrote: »
    Boon is easy enough found in the good beer off licences: Oude Gueze Boon and Mariage Parfait are what you want, avoid the fruit ones. Some of the better offies have Cantillon beer too. All their stuff is excellent.
    ..... including their fruit ones! ☺

lk67 wrote: »
    ..... including their fruit ones! ☺

Sorry, posted before I meant to, better to post again rather than edit! So plus one on BNs Cantillon suggestion but try some fruit sours.

Straffe Hendrik Wild has a similar brett quality to Orval and I think Mikkeller did an Orval tribute too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Simcoe rye-tis very nice but to me it doesn't taste like a rye beer, all the others have a taste in common which i dont like, i would never guess this has rye.

Rogue brutal ipa - i don't think ill buy rogue again, not at the very top end as beer goes for me. Add i the high price and defo not.

Magic rocks ringmaster, a session ale on cask, quite drinkable but not incredibly remarkable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

adamski8 wrote: »
    Simcoe rye-tis very nice but to me it doesn't taste like a rye beer, all the others have a taste in common which i dont like, i would never guess this has rye.

First rye beer I've really enjoyed as well, doesn't have that "nutty" taste that rye normally gives off.

irish_goat wrote: »
    First rye beer I've really enjoyed as well, doesn't have that "nutty" taste that rye normally gives off.

Yeah exactly, what is actually rye about it? It must use very little of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

It's light on the rye alright, but also very, very nice. I supplemented my bottle with Galway Bay Full Sail, which seemed to taste surprisingly similar. I had to check the bottle to see if there was any rye in this IPA. Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Had Evil Twin's Heretic Red Ale, nice but not outstanding. Good malt/hop balance.
    Also had the single hop Equinox in Sierra Nevadas Harvest Range, not crazy about it to be honest. They use equinox in Ruthless Rye apparently, but I only got a faint peppery taste and for some reason I thought it smelled like a lager.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Couple of Amber Adventures tonight, nice beer, and at 4.1% is good for midweek beers at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

Heading to Copenhagen for the weekend. Can anyone recommend any good pubs? I know there are two Mikkeller bars there, any other good ones?

Ipso wrote: »
    Had Evil Twin's Heretic Red Ale...

Or vice versa?:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 Hidden Cyclone

Hilden Twisted Hop

I had this a while back and seem to remember it packing more of a punch. This bottle was mediocre

Or am I mixing it up with Headless Dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Hilden Twisted Hop

I had this a while back and seem to remember it packing more of a punch. This bottle was mediocre

Or am I mixing it up with Headless Dog?

Nope. They've definitely reduced the hops. I had at the Beerfest a couple of years ago and thought it was amazing. Was delighted to see it in bottles but was really disappointed with it. It just tasted bland and insipid.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Nope. They've definitely reduced the hops. I had at the Beerfest a couple of years ago and thought it was amazing. Was delighted to see it in bottles but was really disappointed with it. It just tasted bland and insipid.

So its not just me!

Echo what you said above, remember it being very nice the last time I tasted it but the bottle I just had was very mediocre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Sierra Nevada Tumbler Brown Ale, lovely beer with a nice toasty taste.
    It's part of their fall pack, looking forward to trying the Oktoberfest and Vienna Lager.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I miss Tumbler. And Anchor Humming. Two beers that I'm really disappointed those companies discontinued.

Also, I had a Twisted Hop in Belfast the the day and it was very weak alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

Heading to Copenhagen for the weekend. Can anyone recommend any good pubs? I know there are two Mikkeller bars there, any other good ones?
    They have a Mikkeller off licence at Stefansgade in the Nørrebro district that's worth a visit...expensive though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Heading to Copenhagen for the weekend. Can anyone recommend any good pubs?
    Fermentoren is really good. I also liked the Lord Nelson. Charlie's is fun too, if it's not too packed. It's a long time since I've been to Nørrebro Bryghus but the beers are generally very good. BrewPub is less consistent but worth a look if you're passing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Speaking of Norrebro Bryghus, anybody seen any of their Little Korkney ale(barleywine) around Dublin still ?

I liked Ørsted Ølbar. It was one of the friendliest bars we were in in Copenhagen. Just mind the steps if you've had a few!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A pint of Red Mist from Stone Barrell. Very enjoyable.

Picked up another few Buried At Sea

Also bought one Of Foam & Fury. Pricier than I usually go for but will keep it to share with a friend (a full bottle would probably floor me!)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I had Of Foam and Fury on tap in the Salt House last night. Such a beautiful beer. Hope they'll have it if/when GBB open in Limerick!

Alas, I couldn't find Buried At Sea in my usual offie tonight. Picked up a BPBP: Pleasant Porter and a Dark Arts Porter instead. Can't complain. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Drinking a Tiny Rebel Hadouken, very nice it is too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Had the GBB/Begyles offering in Salt House last night, damn nice, marmaladey kinda smell and a nice rounded bitterness with some sweetness......i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Had the GBB/Begyles offering in Salt House last night, damn nice, marmaladey kinda smell and a nice rounded bitterness with some sweetness......i think.

Had this in ATG, another excellent beer from GBB

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I had a Bath Ales Barnsey Dark Bitter a while ago and it just showed me that I don't understand the RateBeer marking system. It scores 96% on style and given that I was viewing on my mobile I went with that. Upon tasting the rather bland beer I was disappointed to realise that it had not received near universal acclaim. I thought it was a fairly standard English bitter with very little of the roasty flavour I expected the 'dark' element to impart.

• Advertisement

It confuses me too. It seems out of 100 overall but the individual rating seems to be overall out of 5 and the the individual aspects of the beers out of 10!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement