Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,148 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I had Boon geuze in the Salthouse, Galway this week.

It was on draught.

I have never seen geuze on draught in Belguim - does it even exist?

Quite flat, none of the fizz that you usually see, no head.

6 euro for 33cl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Had evil twins Ying and Yang. Had half of one then half of the other then mixed the two half's and had that.

The mix was the best but all 3 were fairly meh for me. Grand like but I really don't see what the big deal about Evil Twin is supposed to be. Anything I've had so far has been OK, and that's the best I could say. Don't think I'd buy any if them a second time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

adamski8 wrote: »
    It confuses me too. It seems out of 100 overall but the individual rating seems to be overall out of 5 and the the individual aspects of the beers out of 10!

The 'overall rating' is simply the percentile which the score falls in. They show this for the particular style and overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

drumswan wrote: »
    The 'overall rating' is simply the percentile which the score falls in. They show this for the particular style and overall.

So if a beer scorces a 60 it doesn't mean its bad just that 40% of the beers rated are better than it?

adamski8 wrote: »
    So if a beer scorces a 60 it doesn't mean its bad just that 40% of the beers rated are better than it?

Exactly.

Thats why they show the rating for style also, an overall rating doesnt mean that much on its own. A beer could be the top rated pale lager on ratebeer and still only have a rating in the twenties (say) because every triple double extra chocolate IPA is rated ahead of it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 markhogan

gonna be pauliner for me this weekend maybe some craft beer too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

drumswan wrote: »
    Exactly.

Thats why they show the rating for style also, an overall rating doesnt mean that much on its own. A beer could be the top rated pale lager on ratebeer and still only have a rating in the twenties (say) because every triple double extra chocolate IPA is rated ahead of it.

I could have just read the explanation but I do like to complain! The wonderful world of percentiles.

So when going into individuals ratings, what should you look out for? Everything over 4 is top quality?

Ratings are subjective so individual ratings arent much use. I used RB when I was new to a beer style or to prioritise when in a new country and there was far more beer available than I could drink any time soon. They are a good general guide to good beer, strongly skewed toward certain styles and very US-centric.

Once youve caught up with all the beer on the market in a country, I tend to just buy whatever new stuff comes to market rather than what is rated highest.

One hugely underrated feature of RB is the places ratings, it allows you to home in on the top craft places just about anywhere.

Im coming up on 1000 ratings, and while it was addictive at first and the statistics generated are fun, Im a bit exhausted with the whole thing and think ill knock it on the head to focus on homebrewing after I hit four figures.

I like the scanning feature when in an offie. If i scanned a bottle with an 90+ id defo get it if it was in the 60s/70s i wouldn't bother. Maybe ive made a huge mistake.

Although when i have tasted a beer and then looked at the ratings my opinion is usually about right and the 60/70s have been poor or not up to much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Beavertown 8 Ball Rye IPA. Very nice indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Just back from San Francisco. What a beer heaven that place is. Everywhere, even little crappy cafes, have awesome beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

slayerking wrote: »
    Just back from San Francisco. What a beer heaven that place is. Everywhere, even little crappy cafes, have awesome beer.

Any particular favourites?

Ipso wrote: »
    Any particular favourites?

Pliny the elder, bit of a obvious one. Brought 4 bottles home also. Bottled last Tuesday, so fresh.
    Some amazing sour beers on draft in the mikkeller bar also, Bockor Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge being one of the standouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Having a few goodbye blue Mondays, may be my favorite thing gbb have done, just fantastic.

Pliny the elder, bit of a obvious one. Brought 4 bottles home also. Bottled last Tuesday, so fresh.
    Some amazing sour beers on draft in the mikkeller bar also, Bockor Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge being one of the standouts.

Did you try any of Lagunitas, Bear Republic, Drakes, Deschutes etc?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 Hidden Cyclone

Pliny the elder, bit of a obvious one

What do these cost on San Fran?

Ipso wrote: »
    Did you try any of Lagunitas, Bear Republic, Drakes, Deschutes etc?

I tried beer from all those breweries.

Lagunitas little sumptin, hopped stoopid and a few others from them, all exceptional.
    Bear Republic racer 5 also amazing.
    Had a pale ale from drakes, super aswell.
    Deschutes black butte Porter, very nice.

Man, it's some spot for a beer geek!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Not quite today but I had a few pints of the Sheep Stealer Saison from Black Donkey. Really enjoyable pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Deschutes black butte Porter, very nice.

I am off to Portland for a week in October and that is one of the main beers I want to sample! glad to hear it is good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I am off to Portland for a week in October

Nothing personal but I hate you.

What do these cost on San Fran?

Pliny the elder was 5 dollars for a pint bottle in a store.
    On draft, can't remember exactly but around 7 dollars I think.

I am off to Portland for a week in October and that is one of the main beers I want to sample! glad to hear it is good!

I had it out of the bottle in a plastic cup on a ferry! Not the ideal way to sample it but it still tasted great. I'm sure it tastes way better on draft. Portland, awesome.
    I'd be seeking out Rogue and looking to try some voodoo doughnuts, they look amazing!

I think there are barrel aged versions available also. The Obsidian Stout is also nice.
    Keep an eye out for their Fresh Squeezed IPA and Chain Breaker White IPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Worked my way through the menu at Brewdog Cardiff today :drool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Anderson Valley Poleeko pale ale, very nice 5%

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Galway bay Table beer. Really is a nice beer. At €4 too plus my Beoir voucher bringing it to €3.50 made it taste better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Picked up a few Dungarvans American Pale Ale for my consideration tonight :)

Anyone know where to get Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus steadily in the D15 or city center area?

It is one of the best beers i have ever tried but only seems to be stocked sporadically in the SuperValu on the quays and haven't seen it in Molloys of Clonsilla yet! Although i did ask the man today to stock it :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Had an 8 Degrees Vic Secret Black IPA in the Purty Kitchen this afternoon. A curious one, I found. Quite hoppy but with a menthol-like aftertaste. In the end I found the full pint a bit much. I'm sure it will suit other people's tastes very well though. I love what 8 Degrees have been doing recently anyway.

• Advertisement

Pliny the elder was 5 dollars for a pint bottle in a store.
    On draft, can't remember exactly but around 7 dollars I think.

Same price in Santa Rosa for the bottles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement