Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Same price in Santa Rosa for the bottles.

Got it in a bar on Haight Street for $5 one time. Great value to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Had an 8 Degrees Vic Secret Black IPA in the Purty Kitchen this afternoon. A curious one, I found. Quite hoppy but with a menthol-like aftertaste. In the end I found the full pint a bit much. I'm sure it will suit other people's tastes very well though. I love what 8 Degrees have been doing recently anyway.

Had a pint of that myself there recently. I thought it was more like a highly hopped stout than an IPA (black or otherwise), very full bodied. I enjoyed the pint I had but switched to something else after, I don't think I'd be able to have more than one in succession.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The wind and rain have blown me into a Stormy Port! I know I tried it at some stage last year and didn't like it as much as the Buried At Sea, but I'm loving it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Had a Dogfish head 90 minute IPA last night, and wasn't blown away by it. Nice big juicy malt backbone but lacked a bit in the aroma department. Might be because it was a few months old. Or it might have been because I had just had a Pliny the Elder before it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭GY A1

a couple kepplers cider, on the strong side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Not a big cider fan, but had a bottle of Longueville Cider last night and thought it was pretty spectacular. I've been a fan of their Apple brandy for a while now, so it was great to enjoy the same underlying flavours in something more drinkable. It's not cheap, but nice on a special occasion when looking for something different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Some tempted cider on draught in mulligans grocer. Have to say it was absolutely excellent as ive been disappointed in stonewells draught version.

I had the wild hop (2nd in the series) of this years southern harvest by sierra nevada. Wasn't a great fan of last years southern and much preferred the norhtern version. This one however was lovely. Nice floraly taste and the bomber was gone in no time.

Troubles lazy day saison. Great beer, saisons can be quite harsh but it seems they have tamed it and its exactly the way id like them to be. Great dry finish to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

8 Degrees Simcoe Rye Ale.

So, soooo good.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

A bottle of Jack Codys Smiggy Amber Ale. Tis grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Had a bottle of Carsons "Crisp Armagh Cider" in the PorterHouse over the weekend. Refreshing and nice.

The other choices were Bulmers, random cider, or Aspall cider on tap. Dislike Bulmers, and I can't really drink Aspall cider. Well, not cold. Shall try it room temp, though. Did an eeny meeny miney moe, between two random ciders and picked the bottle of Carsons. Shall try the other random cider next time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Had Sierra Nevada's Oktoberfest and Vienna Lager. Both were lovely, the Oktoberfest being my favourite.
    I thought they both had a malty taste similar to New Belgium's Fat Tyre Ale, with very subtle hops.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 Hidden Cyclone

From The Three Tun Tavern on Twitter:

NEWSFLASH: Staropramen, Tetleys, Hobgoblin & Ghostship are all €1.99 due to surplus stocks!! When it's gone! It's gone! #blackrock #dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Ghostship at 2e a pint (i take it its a pint) is pretty incredible. Hmmm im tempted

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Even if it was a 330ml bottle it'd still be a bargain. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Weird Beard brewery, Little Things That Kill. Amazing session ale, only 3% but not thin or watery at all. Well balanced and a lovely floral hoppy aroma. Best sub 4% beer I've had, and up there with one of the nicest I had at all. Top notch!

(The one I've had is batch 7, apparently they play around with the recipe with each batch)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

A friend told me he heard that of foam and fury is ment to be very like Pliny the elder so I decided to try them blind.

World's apart, not sure if I got a bad bottle of of foam and fury but it tasted and smelt like a mess vs Pliny, which is perfectly constructed and balanced. Very interesting trying them next to each other. Not sure whether it's just tasting it next to Pliny but ofaf doesn't taste as nice as I remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Had some of this last night:
    beer_274665.jpg

Lovely stuff. The only other brown ale I've had was of the Newcastle variety but this was much richer and flavoursome.

This was nice too:
    Highlander.jpg?itok=ZLMW8drk

Nothing to write home about just a good solid ale.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Einstok Toasted Porter last night. Strong coffee flavours at first, but not so noticeable after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

An File wrote: »
    Einstok Toasted Porter last night. Strong coffee flavours at first, but not so noticeable after that.

Ya was disappointed with this when i had it a few months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Currently having Goodbye blue Monday in Alfie Byrnes. Really nice and hoppy, similar I think to Amber Ella although I haven't had that for a few months.
    On the other hand, don't know where the oatmeal is in it!:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

is the oatmeal not giving it some smoothness in the mouthfeel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

is the oatmeal not giving it some smoothness in the mouthfeel?

I dunno, although it did feel smooth. Suppose I'd have to try the same beer without the oatmeal to be able to tell the difference.
    That said I'd buy it again, there's very few beers that I've drank and bought again.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

10513505_10152312911439290_4719379786448365570_n.jpg?oh=b2e06eab2974fde59badbdc6f1a1d39b&oe=546B31F1&__gda__=1415593447_1e3371826f83911427d03aa22d30242a
    (in Copehagen)

the crooked stave beers were just perfect. hopefully get to get cheaper bottles in the states in november!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone had long board lager before? Saw it in super value and it was nearly 3euro for 330ml bottle :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Anyone had long board lager before? Saw it in super value and it was nearly 3euro for 330ml bottle :/

That's from Kona Brewing isn't it? I'm sure I've had it alright. Think it's brewed with Citra hops, so has a gorgeous aroma. But the taste doesn't really live up to the aroma. So it's nothing special. I remember liking their Fire Rock Pale Ale though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

That's the one ya thanks,MIght try it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Anyone had that new Sharps Cornish Pilsner? Seems to be on offer in a few places atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Anyone had that new Sharps Cornish Pilsner? Seems to be on offer in a few places atm

Dont think its particularly new. Think these are a Molson Coors owned outfit, your man Rick Stein has something to do with them. The few Ive had from their range have been unremarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,458 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Doombar is nice from a cask but, as you said, unremarkable out of a bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Metalman, just announced that they have ordered a canning line

http://www.metalmanbrewing.com/yes-we-can-boom-boom/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement