Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Had a bottle of To Øl Fůck Art The Heathens Are Coming.
    Beautiful balanced hoppy pale beer with a lovely dry finish.
    Goes on the list of beers I wish were less expensive along with BPBP Gøse, Goose Island Sofie and Westvleteren blond. Beers I'd drink more often if they weren't so dear.
    Why are all these beers all considerably more expensive than, say, Orval (which is pretty scarce atm)?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Have a bottle of Brewdog Dog B that I'm looking for an excuse to open. Has anyone tried it? At 15%, I'm not sure Sunday night is the right time!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Plates wrote: »
    Have a bottle of Brewdog Dog B that I'm looking for an excuse to open. Has anyone tried it? At 15%, I'm not sure Sunday night is the right time!

I have a bottle of it that I've been waiting try for a while. Be interested to hear what you make of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I have a bottle of it that I've been waiting try for a while. Be interested to hear what you make of it.

Ah go on, both of yez, open it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

I had it when it was abstrakt 04, and was one of the few beers that I had to throw down the sink, so maybe share it with somebody

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

jsa112 wrote: »
    I had it when it was abstrakt 04, and was one of the few beers that I had to throw down the sink, so maybe share it with somebody

Because it was too much for one, or because you didn't like it? Only beer I've chucked down the sink recently was O'Haras Double IPA. Manky.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

I didn't like it, but even if you do, it's a tough one to get through, real sipper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭flas

A can of this my uncle brought him with him from Denmark,he brought home loads more but this is only one I took photo of! 8.5% as well!big brown head on it and quiet smooth going down,chocolaty!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Because it was too much for one, or because you didn't like it? Only beer I've chucked down the sink recently was O'Haras Double IPA. Manky.

Ah give over will ya, O Haras is a decent double ipa. Nothing amazing but most definitely not manky.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I think it's actually manky. The ones I had a few months ago, anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Ah give over will ya, O Haras is a decent double ipa. Nothing amazing but most definitely not manky.

Im a fan of O'Haras but the last bottle of their DIPA I sampled nearly put me off the brewery for life. Atrocious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

they are shocking at anything that isn't their core range of 3 years ago.

Their red ale is, imo, the best of the style. Their Irish Pale Ale is a decent sessionable beer, and their two stouts are excellent.

Anything outside of those, and you're on seriously dodgy ground.

Their Amber Ale is alright. But maybe I'm just surprised it wasn't a stinker after their DIPA and Winter Star which was dishwater.

they are shocking at anything that isn't their core range of 3 years ago.

Their red ale is, imo, the best of the style. Their Irish Pale Ale is a decent sessionable beer, and their two stouts are excellent.

Anything outside of those, and you're on seriously dodgy ground.

Even though I love their Pale Ale, I wouldn't call it sessionable as it tends to be quite harsh on the aul taste buds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Only beer I've chucked down the sink recently was O'Haras Double IPA. Manky.

This is one of the few beers I would probably refuse if offered to me. I found it to be very poor indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Their core are so damn good but yes their specials do let them down.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Their Amber Ale is alright. But maybe I'm just surprised it wasn't a stinker after their DIPA and Winter Star which was dishwater.
    Actually, yeah, the Amber Adventure is a very good addition. Good point.
    Even though I love their Pale Ale, I wouldn't call it sessionable as it tends to be quite harsh on the aul taste buds.

Really? Harsh? I find it so un-harsh as to be almost a blonde!

That's a n exaggeration, obviously, but it's no hop bomb, is it?

Really? Harsh? I find it so un-harsh as to be almost a blonde!

That's a n exaggeration, obviously, but it's no hop bomb, is it?
    Not a huge hop bomb no, but I think it's the bitterness that ends up stripping my taste buds if I have too much of it, and as a result I would never consider it a session beer.

I thought you didn't like hoppy beers anyway? ;)

I thought you didn't like hoppy beers anyway? ;)

haha, my tastebuds have obviously "evolved" .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

Not a beer but I tried Woodchuck Granny Smith hard cider at the weekend & found it very refreshing.

http://www.woodchuck.com/

Apparently bought by C&C 2 years ago & available in Tesco's, knocks spots of most of the ciders I've tasted including David Llewllyn's offerings IMHO

• Advertisement

After i loved beavertowns smog rocket. I had a gamma ray and black betty. Another two great beers. All in cans and just excellent taste with restraint on not going overboard with anything.

I did notice they all poured a super big head and retain an interesting fluffy one two. I wonder what they do to achieve this or its by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

What's all of this O'Hara's bashing?:)

Their core range is excellent. Amber Adventure is very good. Their Helles is sublime and underrated. Lublin/Dublin was one of the best stouts I had this year. Even their Aldi beers are fine or maybe better than that.

Their IPA like a blond beer? Now you're just being silly! ;)

I love their DIPA, but the biggest issue is that people get hung up on the DIPA bit and think American DIPA. Style labelling is at best a vague guideline to taste.

A think a blind tasting is called for...

Admittedly their recent barrel aged range lacked depth and complexity.

I can never understand why people say a beer is terrible or dishwater. No beers from ANY brewer deserve that unless they have become infected or have a similar issue.

Oh yes actually the lublin to dublin one is actually great, couldn't drink a amber adventure though.

I think just for a such a now established brewery with a great core people actually wish they had better limited editions rather than hating on them for no reason.

I always buy a few oharas now and then but if i went to the rds festival no way would i buy a oharas ipa, id be looking for a special that i hadnt tried. Its nothing personal against the brewery but they just havent lived up to their others beers maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

adamski8 wrote: »
    Oh yes actually the lublin to dublin one is actually great, couldn't drink a amber adventure though.

I think just for a such a now established brewery with a great core people actually wish they had better limited editions rather than hating on them for no reason.

I always buy a few oharas now and then but if i went to the rds festival no way would i buy a oharas ipa, id be looking for a special that i hadnt tried. Its nothing personal against the brewery but they just havent lived up to their others beers maybe!

I also think the arrival/improvement of some breweries over the last few years has taken the sheen of them.
    Whereas a few years ago, them and franciscan well were the go to beers, with the improvement of trouble, 8 degrees and Galway bay, as well as the arrival of blacks and the likes of white hag, their specials just seem a bit meh.
    Theirs nothing kind of new about them, although Lublin was great. It's just annoying when a special is bland and boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

0_hara_s_curim_gold_50_cl.jpg

O'Hara's Curim
    Wheat Beer

Quite a tasty beer. Distinctive aroma and but little carbonation. Rather nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

I do know what you mean - and I wasn't having a go - but I think that it's just that they are clever business people. They know where the money is and it's not with the nerds like us! Although we are good marketeers...

I just think that there's enough good beer to go around and that we shouldn't pigeon hole styles and be swayed by what we perceive they should taste like. Also derogatory comments don't highlight what a person doesn't like about the beer so is not helpful to others.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

With all this debate going on, I had to go out and get my hands on an Amber Adventure. Got the last bottle in my local Dunnes. Lovely stuff!

lk67 wrote: »
    I can never understand why people say a beer is terrible or dishwater. No beers from ANY brewer deserve that unless they have become infected or have a similar issue.

When I put them in my mouth they tasted really bad. Not bland, or just not as good as other beers, just bad tasting... badness. Also, there are loads of beers from good and bad brewers that taste bad.

Bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

lk67 wrote: »
    I love their DIPA, but the biggest issue is that people get hung up on the DIPA bit and think American DIPA.
    What other DIPA is there? Putting the words 'Double IPA' on the bottle when the beer inside has little to do with that style shows a lack of understanding of their market IMO.
    I for one was talking about a particular bottle of beer with strong off flavours. Previous bottles Ive had were just mediocre and I drank them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

After i loved beavertowns smog rocket. I had a gamma ray and black betty. Another two great beers. All in cans and just excellent taste with restraint on not going overboard with anything.

I did notice they all poured a super big head and retain an interesting fluffy one two. I wonder what they do to achieve this or its by accident.

Same as that, Gamma ray is one of my favourites at the moment but the head on it is crazy no matter what way you pour it. I usually get it in bottles btw.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement