Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Also, that map ... really cool. Irish Brewing Company's 'Brew No. 1' ... now that was a really good lager (if memory serves, but I'd just started drinking then).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

sarkozy wrote: »
    Also, that map ... really cool. Irish Brewing Company's 'Brew No. 1' ... now that was a really good lager (if memory serves, but I'd just started drinking then).

It was really good at the beginning but then they lowered the abv and changed the yeast.
    My first experience of Irish non mainstream beer:D
    Good times!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

8 Degrees Simcoe Rye.

Can these guys do no wrong?

Full Irish, Hurricane, Cyclone, Vic Secret, Zeus, Simcoe Rye, Amber Ella and probably another few world class beers brewed in the last 12 months that I can't recall.

Their consistency in making one seriously good beer after another never fails to astound me. Long may it last.
    I tasted the Simcoe alongside Founders Centennial yesterday and preferred the 8 degrees! Way cheaper too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Sarky wrote: »
    Was at Rising Sons opening tonight in Cork. The place is quite nice, if a bit "we've just opened" rough around the edges, but the beer is really good. Handsum ipa is gorgeous, and that Gráinne Ale is delicious in a summery like-Hoegarden-but-better sort of way. Definitely one to visit again this weekend.
    Tried the Rising Sons IPA and Hemp Steeple last night.
    Both very good beers.
    Hemp Steeple is like a really good twist on an Irish Red.
    Great opening night.

Yes, the Vic Secret is an amazing BIPA - I liked their Zeus but this is better.

Completely forgot about this place opening, can't wait to get back to Cork now! All I've tasted from them at this stage is MiDaza, and exactly as it says on the tin, it was gorgeous.
    8 Degrees Simcoe Rye.

Full Irish, Hurricane, Cyclone, Vic Secret, Zeus, Simcoe Rye, Amber Ella and probably another few world class beers brewed in the last 12 months that I can't recall.

Their consistency in making one seriously good beer after another never fails to astound me. Long may it last.
    I tasted the Simcoe alongside Founders Centennial yesterday and preferred the 8 degrees! Way cheaper too:D

8 Degrees are probably my favourite Irish brewery tbh, just so many fantastic beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Better than Rustbucket?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

RasTa wrote: »
    Better than Rustbucket?
    I'd place the Eight Degrees Simcoe Rye Ale a notch above Dublin Brewer Rye Pale Ale, itself one step ahead of Rustbucket, which is an excellent beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

BeerNut wrote: »
    I'd place the Eight Degrees Simcoe Rye Ale a notch above Dublin Brewer Rye Pale Ale, itself one step ahead of Rustbucket, which is an excellent beer.

No Simcoe in my local unfortunately, so more Vic Secret it is :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

a couple Tyskie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Full Sail IPA and a bottle of Founders Porter, after a week back home in County Roscommon with no craft in any of the pubs they are a welcome change. I did however meet the owner of the new Brewery which is opening beside my old homeplace. Black Donkey Brewery which will be launching soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

BeerNut wrote: »

Where's the Dublin Brewer available?

Loved the Simcoe and loved the Rustbucket but last pint I had of it in Alfie Byrne's didn't seem as nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Amazing weekend in London, highlights included The Kernel, Magic Rock, Buxton, Partizan, Siren, Pressure Drop and Weird Beard. They are miles ahead of us in terms of quality and interesting brews over there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Staropramen nefiltrovný an old favorite when in Prague.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Where's the Dublin Brewer available?
    The Larder. It's brewed by Independent. There's a Blonde as well but it's nowhere near as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭baron von something

had a couple of pints of bru ri ipa last night.its quite nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

I've been mostly drinking Rothaus Pils and Rothaus Tannenzapfle pils, and after that: Augustiner helles, Berliner, Jever and Wernesgruner.

The Rothaus beers are something else, but I just couldn't justifying paying that much for it at home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Lots of craft beer explorations in Madrid to post about another day, some of which have been pleasantly surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭fearrua

My cousin got me a voucher for the local offie for my birthday, stocked up on Tom Crean lager, Trouble Brewing and Leffe. Delish.

Pivovar Kocour IPA Samurai - a nice Czech styled IPA. Hoppy and dry but not overboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

8 Degrees Simcoe Rye.

Had the new 8 Degrees Single Hop Black IPA (Vic Secret) the other day, another excellent beer from a top class brewery! Their Hurricane IPA is one of the best Irish brewed IPA's I've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

TO ØL "dangerously close to stupid"
    It's a double IPA comes in around 9.2% it's a really beautiful beer it's somewhere between a flour/fruity DIPA but has the finish of a Belgian style beer .

• Advertisement

Two Tales Bohemian Pale Ale : local czech styled IPA which was a red brown colour with lots of head.

Nice subtle hops but lots of tropical fruit goings on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

One of the great things about Madrid and indeed many other places in Spain is the vermouth taps in a lot of bars - delightful mystery vermouth, sometimes even from gravity casks. Sure beats Martini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Drinking a Jack Codys Smiggy Amber Ale, its terrible, Ive produced far better efforts in a bucket in my wardrobe. Im giving up buying beer from new Irish brewers and sticking to the mature ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭baron von something

drumswan wrote: »
    Drinking a Jack Codys Smiggy Amber Ale, its terrible, Ive produced far better efforts in a bucket in my wardrobe. Im giving up buying beer from new Irish brewers and sticking to the mature ones.

i'm glad.i almost got a job brewing for these

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

i'm glad.i almost got a job brewing for these

you're so bitter you'd probably improve their ale.

Mikkeller Koppi Coffee IPA is really good. Major citrus hop flavour and a hint of coffee.
    It's weird flavours but I really like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

just a bottle of Saint for me tonight, but hitting The Norseman tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Coisbo Astoria Black is a delicious Imperial Stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Mikkeller Beer Geek Bacon. A smoked oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Not sure where the "bacon" is coming from. It does have a really strong roasted malt flavour but it's not like the bacon taste you can get from a rauschbier, which can be really off putting.
    It's a nice roasted stout, that's strong on the roasted element, but nothing spectacular.

I had a Beavertown Neck Oil Session IPA earlier. Ok, but nothing to write home about.

• Advertisement

Tonight just got better !

8 Degrees Single Hop Black IPA (Vic Secret) this is a wonderfull smokey malty and hoppy beer. What more could I ask for.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement