Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Seaneh wrote: »
    evicting the overdue tennant?

he lasted til this morning.

Westy tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Westy tonight.

Enjoy the drink as best you can.

Congrats by the way and good luck the next few weeks. I found the first few weeks tiring but you get used to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Westy tonight.

Congrats daddy Baldy!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah, congratulations! It's all ahead of ya now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,761 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sincerest congratulations, dude! All the best of health & happiness to you & your family.

Prostli!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

bottle of Trouble Dark Arts. I haven't had one in a while, it tastes a lot chocolatier than I rememberer...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Harviestoun Ola Dubh 12. I've seen it in a few offies and always ignored it, but finally giving it a go tonight. Very interesting stuff. One to buy again. :)

An File wrote: »
    Harviestoun Ola Dubh 12. I've seen it in a few offies and always ignored it, but finally giving it a go tonight. Very interesting stuff. One to buy again. :)

Beautiful beer, one of my favourites, was told once that a certain Irish craft brewer worked for a time at Harviestoun during/after his studies in scotland and a well loved Irish stout with an Irish name (also one of my favourite stouts) takes a lot of inspiration from old engine oil ( another beauty of a stout, the basis for Ola Dubh), though I'm not sure how true the story is.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Would that be Braon Blasta or Leann Folláin? Two more of my favourites, either way.

I'm just coming to the end of the Ola Dubh now anyway. Seemed to get better the more I had. Always a good thing!

An File wrote: »
    Would that be Braon Blasta or Leann Folláin? Two more of my favourites, either way.

I'm just coming to the end of the Ola Dubh now anyway. Seemed to get better the more I had. Always a good thing!

The latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sharpe's 6 Hop IPA. €2 a pint in The Abbot's, Cork. Not an IPA as we've come to know it and the 6 hop thing is a bit asking for disappointment but a very nice 3.8% English pale ale cask for €2 can only be a good thing.

Crisis averted re: Sweetmans price rise.

Still doing pitchers (2.5 pints) for €10. Might head there myself to watch the match tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

does that include the 7.5% barrelhead pale ale ? was delicious

jsa112 wrote: »
    does that include the 7.5% barrelhead amber ale ? was delicious

Fixed your post there.

Inter Galactic no, that's not sold in pints and they don't sell it in pitchers (they could do, and just charge a little more, but they don't) and AFAIK it's gone from the pub now anyway, there was only 1 batch and once it's gone it's gone.

I have asked and been served pitchers of it before, but the manager told me the last time I ordered a pitcher of it that it's not sold in pitchers. Guess it depends who you catch.

Edit: still pouring! Not available in pitchers though.

Having a can of Beamish with me dinner and I have to say lads, tis a grand stout. For €1.89 per can you really couldn't knock it.

I actually went to Tesco in the hopes of getting O'Hara's stout but they didn't have any, picked up a bottle of the red anyway, on my way through lidl while picking up some fruit for the week (2kg of apples for €1.99, couldn't bate it with a big schtick) and noticed how cheap Beamish was and decided to grab 2 cans, 1 to cook and 1 to drink, just to try it in the stew and delighted with the results.

Much better stout for cooking with than Guinness anyway and I reckon it's the best of the "big 3".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Mikkeler I Beat You. Finally getting around to trying this. I had a bottle of it in the fridge a while back and the father in law helped himself to it (along with a few other tasty treats) while over for the baby's birthday party. :( I only have myself to blame though as I was the one that got him into "fancy beers"

Glad I got another one as it's beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Much prefer the Murphy's can to Beamish or Guinness, I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Irish DIPA Head to head tonight, Beoir #1 vs Of Foam And Fury (shared the bottles, 1 litre of 9% beer is pushing it for a school night!)
    Didn't think I'd be saying this but the Beoir #1 edges it for me. The sweetness of OFAF gets a bit cloying after a bit, Beoir #1 is less sweet but with a similar smooth bitterness. Both have lovely aromas, OFAF is slightly more pronounced.

slayerking wrote: »
    Irish DIPA Head to head tonight, Beoir #1 vs Of Foam And Fury (shared the bottles, 1 litre of 9% beer is pushing it for a school night!)
    Didn't think I'd be saying this but the Beoir #1 edges it for me. The sweetness of OFAF gets a bit cloying after a bit, Beoir #1 is less sweet but with a similar smooth bitterness. Both have lovely aromas, OFAF is slightly more pronounced.

I'd disagree.
    Had both head to head last Friday evening (Alfie Brynes, €4.50 for a beoir 2/3 pint) and OFAF and beats Beoir #1 on all fronts for me, and it's not even close.
    I could drink several OFAF's over a night out, but 1 or 2 Beoir #1's and I'd quickly be moving on to something less one dimensional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I enjoyed B#1 more than OFAF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'll try this new challenger to the throne at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

New Belgium's Rye PA; very enjoyable beer. Not too hoppy, a nice rye taste and a similar malt taste to Fat Tyre, but like that I thought it was a bit on the thin side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

I enjoyed B#1 more than OFAF

So did I. I'm growing a bit tired of OFAF. It's not as nice as I first thought. Maybe the same will happen with Beoir No. 1, but I don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

So did I. I'm growing a bit tired of OFAF. It's not as nice as I first thought. Maybe the same will happen with Beoir No. 1, but I don't think so.

I prefer the Beoir No. 1 too. Might pop in somewhere for one thus evening actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I'd disagree.

I expected you would! :-)

For the record, I'm finding the bottles of Beoir #1 much nicer than the draft version.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Mikkeler I Beat You. Finally getting around to trying this. I had a bottle of it in the fridge a while back and the father in law helped himself to it (along with a few other tasty treats) while over for the baby's birthday party. :( I only have myself to blame though as I was the one that got him into "fancy beers"

Glad I got another one as it's beautiful.

Ha ha I hate that.:p

I enjoyed my bottle of I Beat you alot last week if that makes you feel better.

slayerking wrote: »
    I expected you would! :-)

For the record, I'm finding the bottles of Beoir #1 much nicer than the draft version.

I'm not lucky enough to have tried the bottles because I wasn't involved in the production of the beer unfortunately.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I'm not lucky enough to have tried the bottles because I wasn't involved in the production of the beer unfortunately.

If I'm down in Dublin this weekend I'll bring ye a bottle.

irish_goat wrote: »
    If I'm down in Dublin this weekend I'll bring ye a bottle.

That would be lovely... I wish I had a rarity to give you in return but my beer "collection" which consists of a few bottles of aging Belgian quads and doubles and a few barley wines and stouts is living in Athlone...

• Advertisement

That would be lovely... I wish I had a rarity to give you in return but my beer "collection" which consists of a few bottles of aging Belgian quads and doubles and a few barley wines and stouts is living in Athlone...

How convenient ! :P:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement