Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I too still think Jack Hammer is good. Not great value though, which would stop it being a regular pick up.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've a bottle of Founders Dirty Bastard in the fridge, but I don't know if I should open it or not. Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Heroditas wrote: »
    Moved on to a Carrig Pipers Pale Ale.
    Reminds me of earlier versions of Sabotage but not as nice.
    Still, not bad for a relatively new brewery.

Where are they from?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

An File wrote: »
    I've a bottle of Founders Dirty Bastard in the fridge, but I don't know if I should open it or not. Hmmm.

Don't open it from the fridge anyway!

Leave it sitting out for a while before you drink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Seaneh wrote: »
    I haven't tasted it yet so I can't pass comment on the beer itself besides pointing out that it's a long way from the coast of Kerry it was brewed.

Brewed and bottled in Little Island according to the label. And hour and a half?

If Galway Hooker can be brewed in Roscommon, fair enough I suppose....

Oh and Muckish Mountain Miners Red Ale is brewed and bottled in Mitchelstown which is a hike

• Advertisement

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Where are they from?

Leitrim I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Grayditch wrote: »
    I too still think Jack Hammer is good. Not great value though, which would stop it being a regular pick up.

Agree

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Brewed and bottled in Little Island according to the label. And hour and a half?

If Galway Hooker can be brewed in Roscommon, fair enough I suppose....

Oh and Muckish Mountain Miners Red Ale is brewed and bottled in Mitchelstown which is a hike

Bottled maybe, AFAIK it's being brewed in Meath. Hooker never claimed to be brewed in Galway, they just named their brewery after a type of boat.

Kenmare is being brewed for C&R by Bru in Meath.

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Where are they from?

Leitrim but were being brewed in Offaly (at Bo Bristle/Brew Eyed) until very recently.

Bottled maybe, AFAIK it's being brewed in Meath. Hooker never claimed to be brewed in Galway, they just named their brewery after a type of boat.

Kenmare is being brewed for C&R by Bru in Meath.

Sorry, I see now that it is brewed and bottled for... Little Island Brewing Company etc.

Anyway, I didn't buy it because I thought it was from the coast of Kerry but because it was Irish.

Makes sense, I found it in SuperValu in Maynooth who just started stocking Bru.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I see now that it is brewed and bottled for... Little Island Brewing Company etc.

Anyway, I didn't buy it because I thought it was from the coast of Kerry but because it was Irish.

Makes sense, I found it in SuperValu in Maynooth who just started stocking Bru.

I've actually since found out it's brewed in Meath and bottled up north.

Bru make a good stout and a good Red Ale though, so I'd expect Kenmare to be decent enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭upforit101

Is is that good? I'm not really a fan of pale lagers, but I'll try anything once, I don't mind the likes of spaten...

It's far superior to Spaten - although I'd much prefer Augustiner Edelstoff over the Helles.

It's €7 a pint in the brewdock :eek:

At that price I won't be bothering; a lot more than what I paid for it in Munich - €3.50 and Bergamo, Italy - €5.50.

I've actually since found out it's brewed in Meath and bottled up north.

Bru make a good stout and a good Red Ale though, so I'd expect Kenmare to be decent enough.

Bottled at Hilden?

I like the Bru Ri and Rua. I have both in the fridge so I'll be able to compare the Ri to the Kenmare later. I'm just back from SuperValu and see they now have the Kenmare Red, so I must try that at some stage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Bottled at Hilden?
    At Armagh Cider, I believe, as is Fulcrum. Hilden send their own stuff to Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Bottled at Hilden?

I like the Bru Ri and Rua. I have both in the fridge so I'll be able to compare the Ri to the Kenmare later. I'm just back from SuperValu and see they now have the Kenmare Red, so I must try that at some stage.

Rí is streets ahead of kenmare IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Agreed. I really enjoyed the Rí. Kenmare pale is forgettable (haven't tried the red).

Got me some Great Danes; TO OL Reparationsbajer and Mikkeller Green gold - Six for the price of five in O'Briens wines over the BH weekend.

Beer001_zps8cb8680d.jpg

Going to head into the Black sheep & Brew Dock later on with the Bro for some sample trays of all the new beers!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Finally getting to try my first Of Foam and Fury in Alfie Byrne's right now. So excited. :)

Finally getting to try my first Of Foam and Fury in Alfie Byrne's right now. So excited. :)

Don't get too ahead of yourself, at the end of the day tis only beer, it's not going to change your life (unless you make it, sell it and make a fortune off of it).

Fully agree, the 'India' makes all the difference. Bit of sweetness to the Ri, Kenmare is more bitter/sharp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Picked up a bottle of Full Sail earlier. I think it's changed again, no bad thing as it's really nice. Carbonation is spot on (big problem last time), but super cloudy, which I don't mind as it gives it lovely body.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Picked up a bottle of Full Sail earlier. I think it's changed again, no bad thing as it's really nice. Carbonation is spot on (big problem last time), but super cloudy, which I don't mind as it gives it lovely body.

I had one last week and I noticed it was cloudy too, sent Chris a tweet asking if it they had started bottle conditioning and he replied this:
    Nope, no warehouse space for proper bottle conditioning, but the beer is unpasteurised & unfiltered.Which means occasionally there'll be a bit of sediment.

The new recipe is 5.8% abv and they've amped up the malt profile to support the hops, I think it's better too as I found the old recipe quite unbalanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

surely with the growth of craft beer in the country, it'd make sense for some of the brewers to come together and invest in a bottling line set up in a location central to everywhere?
    If say 10 breweries were to band together and invest in it and run it together, surely it'd be cheaper than sending it to the UK over the long run, not to mention fresher as well :)

surely with the growth of craft beer in the country, it'd make sense for some of the brewers to come together and invest in a bottling line set up in a location central to everywhere?
    If say 10 breweries were to band together and invest in it and run it together, surely it'd be cheaper than sending it to the UK over the long run, not to mention fresher as well :)

Well some breweries have their own bottling facilities, Eight Degrees,Galway Bay, and Independent to name but 3. They are small scale and not very highly automated.

I have actually wondered once or twice myself why breweries don't pool together and have a sort of "co-op" for bulk buying grains, hops, glassware, bottling and that sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Grayditch wrote: »
    Sierra Nevada Beer Camp #95 Imperial Red Ale.

Hadn't seen this one before, so an "imperial red ale" interested me. It's what you'd expect, from SN, quality wise. Got quite strong as it warmed in the hand. Not sure I'd trust this type of drink from many other breweries, infact has anyone ever had another imperial red ale?

Oskar Blues G'Knight is supposed to be very good. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm intrigued.
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2681/8919/

Bro brought back some cans of these from his trip to Iceland; "Egils Gull"

Nice, smooth, very drinkable lager.

Voted best standard lager at the world beer awards 2011.

http://www.icenews.is/2011/11/16/27770/

IcelandicBeer001_zps60cd1acb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Buxton Stronge Extra Stout, another absolute cracker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Fruh Kolsch.... Mmmmmm Lecker!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

2014 SN Bigfoot. So well balanced, really enjoying it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

revz wrote: »
    2014 SN Bigfoot. So well balanced, really enjoying it

Keep meaning to get some and age a couple bottles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement