Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

drumswan wrote: »
    OFAF & Beoir #1 are double IPAs.
    I thought the Full Irish was like 7+ but looks like it's only 6.0%! So yeah not really directly comparable to OFAF and #1 but packs enough flavour to be ranked among them anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Is the ohara's double ipa worth a purchase?

Having fallen in love with Of Foam and Fury I'm getting into this area a bit more.

I love Sierra Nevada Torpedo too. Have 2 cans in the fridge currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It depends on what you expect the "I" to stand for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I have to goto Johnnie Foxes later so hopefully they still have 5 lamps lager on tap..

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭baron von something

Ssampled some hammer of Thor.it got the thumbs up round the table but i felt it a little bit bitter.gonna leave it another few weeks in the bottle.
    had an Adnams ghost ship.didnt like it

bow on to hardknott azimuth ipa.it smells so nice and tastes real good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭baron von something

Having fallen in love with Of Foam and Fury I'm getting into this area a bit more.

I love Sierra Nevada Torpedo too. Have 2 cans in the fridge currently.

had a bottle of torpedo last nite.not a fan i must say

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Surprised to find my local Centra has improved on their previous beer "selection" of lager, Smithwicks and Guinness. They now have Hoegaardan, Leffe and a number of ales. Very premium pricing, but as I don't have a car, it has at least become an option. I picked up a couple of Hobgoblin off them tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Seaneh wrote: »
    ASK HER!!!

Yep, it was bought in Kenny's in Lucan - according to the guy in the off-licence they're the only place in Ireland currently stocking it and they only have a limited stock!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Enjoying a bottle of Riptide now. Very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Modus Hoperandi it's just so good I went over budget (again) for these tasty beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Modus Hoperandi it's just so good I went over budget (again) for these tasty beers.

Trying to stick to a budget myself so I just picked up a load of the O'Sheas Pale Ale from Aldi for €1.89 a bottle. For that price it's a great deal imo, roughly half the price of most craft beers, yet still tasty and satisfying. Just a bit annoying that it's consistently sold out in most aldi stores that I visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

In bits today thanks to this 3 bottles of this stuff. Tastes ok and is cheap however I did have a Leann folláin before hand. Bloody Russians...

tumblr_m728tn3KoK1qznrq7.jpg

Trying to stick to a budget myself so I just picked up a load of the O'Sheas Pale Ale from Aldi for €1.89 a bottle. For that price it's a great deal imo, roughly half the price of most craft beers, yet still tasty and satisfying. Just a bit annoying that it's consistently sold out in most aldi stores that I visit.

I find that stuff piss poor to be honest. Not hoppy enough and lacks strength that for me a good IPA needs ie 5% +

I've tried it a couple of times and felt let down each time.

The stout is the best of the bunch there imo. The red ale is average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

I find that stuff piss poor to be honest. Not hoppy enough and lacks strength that for me a good IPA needs ie 5% +
    Its not an IPA

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

OFAF has a slimmer sweet spot regarding temperature that most beers I've encountered. You don't notice it on draught, but in the bottle, if you linger too long on it, you really notice it.

Its not an IPA

fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Its not an IPA

Exactly. It's half the price of most IPAs, so it's not gonna be a double dry hopped bomb. However as a session ale, I find it very tasty and refreshing, and superior to most of bland English IPAs that seem to be in most supermarkets at the moment. In summary: It's the best sub €2 drink IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Exactly. It's half the price of most IPAs, so it's not gonna be a double dry hopped bomb. However as a session ale, I find it very tasty and refreshing, and superior to most of bland English IPAs that seem to be in most supermarkets at the moment. In summary: It's the best sub €2 drink IMO.

Isn't the O'Sheas rebranded O'Haras? I might be wrong but either lidl or aldi used to have one

matrim wrote: »
    Isn't the O'Sheas rebranded O'Haras? I might be wrong but either lidl or aldi used to have one

It's not "rebranded" it's just made by O'Haras/Carlow Brewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Had a glass of Dan Kelly's cider with the dinner tonight. Both myself and the Mammy were well impressed by it; plenty of apple giving it a tasty bite yet it's not overly sweet and very very drinkable. Although it is a tad to dear to make it a quaffer or sessioner, it is most definitely worth a try, either as a one off or an alternative to a meal time glass of wine.

• Advertisement

Had a glass of Dan Kelly's cider with the dinner tonight. Both myself and the Mammy were well impressed by it; plenty of apple giving it a tasty bite yet it's not overly sweet and very very drinkable. Although it is a tad to dear to make it a quaffer or sessioner, it is most definitely worth a try, either as a one off or an alternative to a meal time glass of wine.

Nice, i.e. proper, cider is not cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

BaZmO* wrote: »

5 litres, using your own plastic container is around £7 from Wilkins Cider Farm in Somerset. An extra quid or £1.50 if you need to buy the container as well. Great stuff - spent a lovely afternoon there before Glastonbury last year - seems to be unlimited half pints of samplers if you intend to buy some. He does phone orders as well (£38 for 20 litres), but expect delivery to here would be prohibitive? http://wilkinscider.com

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Hadn't heard of this till just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

BaZmO* wrote: »

Tell me about it! €4+ per bottle makes craft cider and perry unattractive as a session brew at home so it won't stop me from having 6 cans of Bulmers mid week when I fall off the craft wagon.

However, it's priced very well as an alternative to a glass of wine plus it compares favourably given a choice of 5-6 of craft cider at home or 5-6 Bulmers in a bar or indeed having a few bottles of the more unique craft beers at home.

As to it being worth the price? Yes it is, undoubtedly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Had blacks Beoir no1 again today. Price was feckin cheap compared to OFAF.
    Really tempted to taste both side by side though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Looks like I might finally get to drink my last Westy tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Holding onto my last 2 for dear life.

Anyone any recommendations for a nice cider?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Looks like I might finally get to drink my last Westy tomorrow.

evicting the overdue tennant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Still got two westies myself. Bit obvious but great beer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Buxton just landed in Redmonds. Hope it's better than the Camden Town stuff

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement