Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I've a bottle of Dungarvan Gallows Hill that I got on Friday, I'm undecided on whether to drink it fresh or leave it until next Autumn.

I opened mine yesterday. It had an alcohol hit but also a bit sweet like toffee I thought. As it warmed I thought it was nicer.

My bottle didnt gush :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Most of the really good Barleywines that I've tried, and liked, have always been very malty and sweet though.

They sound more like my thing. Any recommendations?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Fuller's Vintage Ale is a really good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Zaph wrote: »
    They sound more like my thing. Any recommendations?

Founders - Bolt Cutter was the best one I've tried recently and it was available in Drinkstore. I could name a few others but I got them abroad so there's probably no point in recommending them.

It was €20 a bottle so it's not cheap, but it's 15% Very strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

It's 17/18 in redmond's, they have a few other barleywines from what I remember, eg: Anchor, Flying Dog. Used to be very fond of the latter one. Not a tonne of that beer style around sadly.

Siren do a barrel aged version, but its like 13 euros for a 330ml bottle, stunning though.

Drinkstore may still have the one done by the widmer bros, was very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Had the Barrelhead Intergalactic Ale in JW Sweetman on Friday - lovely drink, really well balanced and super fresh tasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Zaph wrote: »
    Sierra Nevada Bigfoot. I don't think I've had a barley wine before but I was always under the impression that they were more malty than hoppy. This is a big mouthful of bitter hoppiness up front followed by a cloying, sugary sweetness. I'm not going to say it's a bad beer because it's not a style I'm familiar with, but it certainly isn't for me and I won't be finishing it.
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

I love it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Founders_DirtyBastard.png

Founders Dirty Bastard

On draught in Against The Grain.

A beer that can only be described as "Lovely stuff." Not my words but the words of Shakin' Stevens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Imagine my delight while browsing the beer selection in my local SuperValu at the weekend, when I spotted a logo I haven't seen on this side of the pond for at least 6 years - Dogfish Head!

Unfortunately, it's wasn't an original Dogfish but a collaboration with Charles Well called DNA IPA. It was very disappointing. Not terrible, just very, very mediocre. It's a take on the 60 min IPA. It's malty, piny, somewhat bitter but weak overall. Very safe and very bland.

I made up for the disappointment by following it up with a White Hag Black Boar. Yes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ballast Point - Indra Kunindra

One of the most unusual beers I've ever had. It's a India-Style Export Stout and is brewed with Madras Curry, Cumin, Cayenne, Coconut and Kaffir Lime. Sounds mental, but it tastes like an Indian Curry made with Coconut. You can really taste all the individual flavours but they all come together really well and it finishes with a big chilli kick. Really unusual but really nice.

• Advertisement

Brown Paper Bag's Black Coffee IPA - lovely as always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Bottle of Black's BIPA I piked up last week, it tasted kinda different, checked the label, feb 16, which means it's 9 months old. Them hops be dead as fook. Sad times man.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout.

Because I needed a strong one, okay!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

An File wrote: »
    Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout.

Because I needed a strong one, okay!?

Mad jelly bruv.

Cracking winter beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Finally had the McGargles Francis IPA lastnight, absolutely packed with flavour, tastes far stronger than it is too.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Blacks of Kinsale - Couple of bottles of Hi Viz.
    Decent and as part of the Dunnes 4 for 9 deal it was great value, but not hugely impressed with beer as such.
    Not sure if its just me, I really want to like the Kinsale stuff but have yet to be blow away by anything I've tasted from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Oh yes....

gZFKuBr.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Where did you get the Yuzilla? (and how much was it?)

I cleaned them out of that one

http://craftrebellion.com/beers/ and parcel wizard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Evil Twin Molotov Lite, amber-gold, pine bitterness, tropical fruits, some sweet malts, caramel...8.5% ABV, doesn't mask the alcohol very well, nice enough though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Ballast Point - Indra Kunindra

One of the most unusual beers I've ever had. It's a India-Style Export Stout and is brewed with Madras Curry, Cumin, Cayenne, Coconut and Kaffir Lime. Sounds mental, but it tastes like an Indian Curry made with Coconut. You can really taste all the individual flavours but they all come together really well and it finishes with a big chilli kick. Really unusual but really nice.

Where did you pick that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

14B125-Wicklow-Wolf-Porter-50cl-Btl.png

Wicklow Wolf Black Perle Porter

Having a sup of this right now. Slightly bitter, a hint of dark chocolate and a roasted aroma but the fairly moderate head and medium carbonation lets it down a little. Worth a gander if you enjoy a bit of bite in your Porters.

Growler of Black Boar from Mchugh's. They have the coffee infused 5% stout too, tis a tap takeover in Artane.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Got a growler of Liquorice Confidence by To Ol from baggot st wines. Quite subtle for a 14% imp stout, the three chillies and liquorice are very much in the background. I like it but would only rock my world if I finished the growler right now.

Brew Dog Lizard Bride tasted like a less sweet alcopop, which is better than a sweet alcopop but that's about it.

Eight Degrees Big River tastes like an Eight Degrees IPA which is a good thing, these Tasmanian hops just aren't my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A few cans of Founders Centennial.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Picked up a Kevin Dundon's King's Bay Irish Pale Ale and Red Ale from supervalu earlier.

Having the pale ale now and it's decent. From the smell I got a bit of orange but not much else. Taste wise it's well balanced with a smooth mouth feel. It's malty but balanced out with some citrus and a bit of a grassy taste too. Not the most imaginative beer but nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Coffee beers tonight.
    Wicklow Wolf's collab with Java Republic, 'a beer called rowanda' . Light, quite thin, woody, nutty brown ale with a kind of stewed coffee flavour. Not too bad.

Followed by Dungarvan Coffee and Oatmeal Stout. Had to peg it into the glass to get a bit of foam, very light carbonation but works very well with the beer. Malty, roasty stout with a delicious coffee aroma. They've nailed it this year. I'll be stocking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I spent the majority of my booze budget for the end of the month on whiskey (Green Spot, Powers 3 Swallows and some standard bourbon/supermarket 'premium' scotch) so its a discounted slab of Carlsberg to cover me til payday :(

Buying a 48" telly and a trip to Denmark didn't help!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've a bottle of Dungarvan's Gallows Hill in the kitchen. Feeling worried about opening it now after searching this thread for reviews! :eek:

Enjoying Cloughmore's Heather IPA at the moment anyway.

• Advertisement

slayerking wrote: »
    20 bottles of schlenkerla delivered directly from the brewery today.
    1 week in total from order to door.
    It's gona be a shmokey weekend.

In Prage for the weekend and I spent this evening drinking this on tap in one of the local pubs. Outstanding stuff. Like a bag of Bord na Mona's finest!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement