Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

It's ture loads of people love and drink bad beer all the time.

I was visiting the fathers shop the other week and was bring drinks over to the table and got talking to them about beer 2 men I say in there 50s.

They told me they don't like any kind of craft beer as it all tastes like muck and they love hophouse 13 or what ever it's called and they also refuse to pay more then 5 euros for a pint of beer. They also won't try any beer that is more then 6% as after 6% that's not beer anymore .....

Basicly told them with craft beer your allway's going to have loads of hits and mess just like in wine as they all can't be good and everyone has a different taste to what they like in a beer but you have to learn and try new things as you never know what you like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Shouldn't have been released then, or recalled once known about.

Quality control at some craft brewers is poor and can kill what would generally be a good brewery.

I'm not convinced it will kill the brewery but based on my experience with this bottle of pale ale I currently have little desire to try their other beers.

This is an occasional occurrence in the world of craft beer, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Quality control at some craft brewers is poor and can kill what would generally be a good brewery.

Easy to say when it's not your money literally being poured down the drain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It can, and has been, turned around though.

Look at GBB, at the start their own beers were apalling. Same as McGargles (sssshhhhhh), but those brands have redeemed themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hopefully be getting my hands on a few of these

CTr9yHaU8AA6Eyq.jpg

• Advertisement

where? can I have one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

RasTa wrote: »
    Hopefully be getting my hands on a few of these

CTr9yHaU8AA6Eyq.jpg

I enjoyed that one myself.

Had an Eight Degrees Millennium last night. Becoming a bit of a regular occurrence if I don't see anything new on the shelves.

where? can I have one?

Won't be now, site doesn't accept Irish CC's. Very annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

BeerNut wrote: »
    Name one Irish brewery that failed because its beer was poor quality. I don't think it happens. More's the pity, perhaps.
    Easy to say when it's not your money literally being poured down the drain.

I did say "can" - sadly it hasn't happened yet but I think it will as the number of breweries grow, some will go to the wall because they're not business people, some will go to the wall because they produce inconsistent beers, I would much rather more of the latter happened rather than the former.

Obviously as a consumer it is my money being poured down the drain when I get a bad beer, it also means I may not buy their beers in future, brewers need to do a cost benefit analysis on whether one bad batch is better down the drain rather than putting off punters for life. Probably worth taking a risk on the cash flow point of view, but if you want to be known for quality then sometimes you need to take a long term view!

Of course, you could just re-label it as a sour and sell it that way!
    It can, and has been, turned around though.

Look at GBB, at the start their own beers were apalling. Same as McGargles (sssshhhhhh), but those brands have redeemed themselves.

Very true, but one or two bad bottles/pints will reduce trust in a breweries ability to produce good beer. I posted a few pages back about a musty Black's of Kinsale Black IPA that I had, not sure whether it was poor from source or storage impacted on it, it wouldn't put me off just yet, but if it happens again then I'd seriously consider not buying their beers again.

In a very competitive market, people need to be able to trust that they'll get a quality brew.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Same as McGargles (sssshhhhhh), but those brands have redeemed themselves.

I don't think they every suffered from poor quality control, just having some beers that weren't liked. There was also an element of people thinking they were a "micro macro", i.e. they didn't care about the beer flavour and just wanted to make money.

They have come out with some good stuff now (I liked some of the specials at the RDS, I haven't tasted francis IPA yet), which has softened their image. But I still wouldn't bother with the their original core range, just because I don't like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Easy to say when it's not your money. I bet breweries that do release such beers wish they didn't have to.
    True, but it makes a joke of the whole "Craft" element of it being a Craft Beer.

I suppose it depends on how bad the fault is.

How long does it take for bad beer to kill an Irish brewery? My money is on "never".
    Define "Bad Beer"

As I said in my original post, I doubt it will kill the brewery, but I reckon it could/would affect sales. At the end of the day though it's not something that will ever be quantifiable unless you have the type of budget that Diageo would have to carry out detailed market research.

matrim wrote: »
    I don't think they every suffered from poor quality control, just having some beers that weren't liked. There was also an element of people thinking they were a "micro macro", i.e. they didn't care about the beer flavour and just wanted to make money.
    Originally it wasn't quality that was the problem, it was just that the beers weren't great. Then they changed brewer and recipes and the beers were fine. They were let down on quality when it came to bottling the beers. Everyone that I tried originally were flat. The OFAF that I tried was fine, but I tried another one of theirs recently and it was flat again (the Gorse beer). I'd be very reluctant to buy any more of their beers now.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Originally it wasn't quality that was the problem, it was just that the beers weren't great. Then they changed brewer and recipes and the beers were fine. They were let down on quality when it came to bottling the beers. Everyone that I tried originally were flat. The OFAF that I tried was fine, but I tried another one of theirs recently and it was flat again (the Gorse beer). I'd be very reluctant to buy any more of their beers now.

I was talking about McGargles instead of Galway Bay but I have noticed the bottling thing with some galway bay beers before.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I was talking about McGargles instead of Galway Bay but I have noticed the bottling thing with some galway bay beers before.

Ooops. Sorry. Too many quotes......and I'm tired.

Ooops. Sorry. Too many quotes......and I'm tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Generally speaking, I'm still amazed that people always think that the problem is with the beer and never their own palate, mood, taste buds, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

lk67 wrote: »
    Generally speaking, I'm still amazed that people always think that the problem is with the beer and never their own palate, mood, taste buds, etc.

In fairness, there was a few batches of St. Mel's beers from earlier in the year that had a really bad off flavour that kind of came across like a smokey TCP or something because the wort got burnt in the kettle.
    That's not a palate thing, it's a kit malfunction.

That's not a palate thing, it's a kit malfunction.

Grand, hence my 'generally speaking.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

20 bottles of schlenkerla delivered directly from the brewery today.
    1 week in total from order to door.
    It's gona be a shmokey weekend.

jaysis, I do love it, but I can't drink more than one in a sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

jaysis, I do love it, but I can't drink more than one in a sitting.

I can drink a few in a sitting but it's definitely a heavyweight. There's just times I get a craving for it, so handy having a stash of it.

• Advertisement

that's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Had a Kinnegar Yannaroddy earlier, it was just okay. Pretty thin and weak, not a bad stout, but not much going on either.

Just cracked open a Founders Dark Penance, their imperial black IPA. It's a damn good black IPA. Huge hops, lots of malt with even more citrus. A keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Edge Brewing Juggernaut Imperial IPA and some Eight Degrees I haven't tried before: Polar Vortex and Vic Secret.

This Blacks Rocketship tastes like your average homebrew

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

They have come out with some good stuff now (I liked some of the specials at the RDS, I haven't tasted francis IPA yet), which has softened their image. But I still wouldn't bother with the their original core range, just because I don't like it.

Think the touchiness about genuine - a few rabid snob types aside - criticism of their original core range has been somewhat debunked as the Francis has been pretty much roundly - and deservedly - praised as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

slayerking wrote: »

Das Rauchbier? No hassle with importing it, customs or the like?

Enjoy yer schmokey weekend!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

True, but it makes a joke of the whole "Craft" element of it being a Craft Beer.
    You didn't realise it was a joke already? Craft and quality have never been synonymous; you only have to drink the stuff widely to see that.
    Define "Bad Beer"
    In this instance I mean beer with a readily identifiable brewing flaw: DMS, acetaldehyde, oxidation or one of them lads.

In this instance I mean beer with a readily identifiable brewing flaw: DMS, acetaldehyde, oxidation or one of them lads.

Exactly ... but many people's definition of a 'bad' beer is one that they simply don't like.

lk67 wrote: »
    Exactly ... but many people's definition of a 'bad' beer is one that they simply don't like.

are they posting here? let's see some examples then, if there are "many" it shouldn't he too hard to find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭tomhalloween

slayerking wrote: »
    I will be making an order on the 29th when the dopplebock is available:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement