Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Aldersbacher Kloster Weisse Hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Having a bottle of saltaire brewery triple chocoholic found it in a off lieance back home after i used to drink it in a craft beer bar in waterford.

Fantastic all round just love the taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

My first time having Lil Sumpin last night, superb stuff, a stronger and possibly more flavourful version of their IPA (which i also love).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

My first time having Lil Sumpin last night, superb stuff, a stronger and possibly more flavourful version of their IPA (which i also love).

Got the Sumpin Extra for tonight, haven't tried it yet so looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Clever Man brewery - Ejector seat, a turf smoked stout. It smells quite smokey when opening.

I had it at room temp and found it a lovely smoked stout with a dry finish.

I love the labels too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

O'Hara's Galaxy Hop Adventure.

I like it well enough, better than the Sorachi Ace effort, but I'm unsure on Galaxy as a bittering hop, it's a little bit full on, but the flavour and aroma are on point.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ballast Point - Victory at Sea

An Imperial Porter brewed with vanilla and coffee. The vanilla is very subtle but adds a lovely sweet note to the sweetness of the malts, but I can't really taste the coffee. Still a great beer though.

It's 10% so it's a sipper. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I will be making an order on the 29th when the dopplebock is available:D

Heading over in a few weeks, so I'll sample at source.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

White Hag Black Boar - lovely stuff after an evening of overpriced ****e in the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

sex on tap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Pokertree Seven Sisters Treacle Oat Stout. Think I'm in love. I was expecting it to be too liquoricey so had one got one bottle :-( but it was perfect.
    Moving on to a St. Mel's Brown Ale next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Had a bottle of Meeting House, a collaboration brew from Elbow Lane and Bradleys. It's quite tasty. Never really tried any Vienna Lagers before, but I'll be keeping an eye out for them after trying this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Had a pint of Calypso in The Dark Horse last night, amazing as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭tomhalloween

slayerking wrote: »
    Heading over in a few weeks, so I'll sample at source.
    I'm very jealous! Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

My other half is just back from the US and got me some Ballast Point Sculpin. An absolutely savage IPA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Clever Man brewery - Ejector seat, a turf smoked stout. It smells quite smokey when opening.

I had it at room temp and found it a lovely smoked stout with a dry finish.

I love the labels too.

Tried this earlier, loved it. Lots of smokiness and sticky sweetness, great beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Had Dungarvans new barleywine, pretty poor, and the barrel aged O'Haras leann follain. Both were gushers, the latter one exploding out of the bottle, not sure how that is possible with a barrel aged beer if anybody knows ? The O'Hara's one tastes quite sweet, like its infected. It's actually terrible, reminds me of that brett beer they did at the RDS a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot. I don't think I've had a barley wine before but I was always under the impression that they were more malty than hoppy. This is a big mouthful of bitter hoppiness up front followed by a cloying, sugary sweetness. I'm not going to say it's a bad beer because it's not a style I'm familiar with, but it certainly isn't for me and I won't be finishing it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There are few nights as fitting as tonight for a bottle of Stormy Port!

jsa112 wrote: »
    Had Dungarvans new barleywine, pretty poor, and the barrel aged O'Haras leann follain. Both were gushers, the latter one exploding out of the bottle, not sure how that is possible with a barrel aged beer if anybody knows ? The O'Hara's one tastes quite sweet, like its infected. It's actually terrible, reminds me of that brett beer they did at the RDS a few years ago.

My Dungarvan gushed, but I loved my Barrel aged Leann Follain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Bottle of N'ice Choufe Winter Donker lastnight, a strange one, an almost Jolly Rancher like sweet nose and sweet initial taste which mellowed with time and warmth, still not sure if i enjoyed it or not.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Zaph wrote: »
    This is a big mouthful of bitter hoppiness up front followed by a cloying, sugary sweetness. I'm not going to say it's a bad beer because it's not a style I'm familiar with, but it certainly isn't for me and I won't be finishing it.
    I find it's a good idea to check your calendar before opening a Bigfoot: if the year on it matches the year on the bottle cap, don't open it.

BeerNut wrote: »
    I find it's a good idea to check your calendar before opening a Bigfoot: if the year on it matches the year on the bottle cap, don't open it.

as in, don't open it ever or leave it until the year after to open it?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

BeerNut wrote: »

It was a 2015 bottle. Does it change significantly with age?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

as in, don't open it ever or leave it until the year after to open it?
    Second one.
    Zaph wrote: »
    It was a 2015 bottle. Does it change significantly with age?
    I've found it mellows and loses the harsh bitterness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

Bottle of Independent Whiskey Stout last night. Rather enjoyed it nicely balanced smooth whiskey aftertaste from it, maybe a little thin and lacking in body I thought. Not bad value at €5.5 compared to some other aged stouts I've had but not as quite good as them either. Love Leann folain must find a barrel aged one to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I like the hoppy bitterness that you get with a fresh Big Foot, it's actually one of my favourite beers. I've had a lot of the 2015, and I've even tried to save some to let it age but it never lasts long. :D

Most of the really good Barleywines that I've tried, and liked, have always been very malty and sweet though.

I've a bottle of Dungarvan Gallows Hill that I got on Friday, I'm undecided on whether to drink it fresh or leave it until next Autumn.

I've a bottle of Dungarvan Gallows Hill that I got on Friday, I'm undecided on whether to drink it fresh or leave it until next Autumn.

I'm afraid to open my second bottle after the mess after the first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Joekers

Would have to say Porterhouse Louder is my favourite barley wine and at a great price too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement