Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

that's not at all expensive for a 7% beer!

Compared to their 6% pale ale at 3.50-4.00 euro mark i think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I thought the Blacks Stout was good, I wouldn't go so far as to say amazing. It's definitely something I'd happily drink given a choice. The initial flavour is great in it, but it fades away rather quickly. You still get the key tones of the beer remaining but there's no staying power or complexity to the after taste.

I was really impressed by the Metalman prototype. It's a beautifully well balanced beer. It doesn't do anything surprising but what it does do it's great at. It seems like a simple beer but there's plenty of flavour going on. I'd happily drink it all night.

I also had the St Bernardus Christmas Ale on tap in the Abbots. It's awful. Really awful. It tastes musty, it tastes dried out and stale. I've described it to people as tasting of the smell you get when you open the box of a new pair of runners. Some agree, others don't. I had a taste of it again last night just to see if maybe I was having an off night when I had the glass of it. The first sip had me doubting myself, the second confirmed everything I initially thought. If I wanted to be cruel I'd say it's like a combination of Duvel, sour milk and pleather.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Independent are another strange one. All their beers are quite expensive for Irish beers and it has always put me off trying them. That said, I picked up they Pale Ale this evening in my Drinkstore Christmas order. I tried it at the beer fest and thought it was really nice so I said I'd give it a bash.

Having it now. Serious amount of meh from it. Not impressed at all.

And another thing, down through the years I've heard people refer to a wet dog smell that they get from beers the odd time and I've never got what they've been talking about, unfortunately this beer has given me an insight to this smell. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Just had a 7 hop IPA by Rogue as part of my 12 Beers of Xmas . It was delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

West Kerry brewery winter ale. Very nice indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Shepherd Neame's Christmas Ale is quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

On Friday...

A pint of the Galway Bay Oatmeal IPA 'Goodbye Blue Monday' - I liked it OK.

A sample of Trouble Brewing's 'Hidden Agenda' which I think is their session IPA - brand new. Would need a pint to make my mind up.

A glass of Magic Rock Brewing 'High Wire' a West Coast Pale Ale. More piney than fruity. It was OK, I wouldn't be minded to order another.

I finally got around to trying the Rascals Big Hop Red. I was disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

Spending this Christmas with the inlaws and taking a day off work tomorrow to do a beer shop.

My list so far is consisting of
    6 x 500ml bottles Schofferhofe Hefe Weizen
    24 x Rothaus Pils (tannanzapfen)
    24 x Augustiner Hell
    24 x Berliner Kindl
    10 x Sierra Nevada IPA.

Should be a nice Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Spending this Christmas with the inlaws and taking a day off work tomorrow to do a beer shop.

My list so far is consisting of
    6 x 500ml bottles Schofferhofe Hefe Weizen
    24 x Rothaus Pils (tannanzapfen)
    24 x Augustiner Hell
    24 x Berliner Kindl
    10 x Sierra Nevada IPA.

Should be a nice Christmas

That should be just about enough to enjoy a day with the inlaws..!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

a bottle of Stormy Port in the black sheep, a whopping €6.60 :pac: they are having a laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

a bottle of Stormy Port in the black sheep, a whopping €6.60 :pac: they are having a laugh.

That is a joke. Why didn't you get a pint for 5.50 though?

Was in L.Muligans yesterday for dinner and had a few nice beers.

Had a couple of the new one from new Irish Brewery O'Brother, their Red Ale - Beautiful rich malty hoppy red ale. Like 5AM Saint but with less hops and more malt body. Hints of coffee in the background with s bitter finish. Top notch!

Just had a taster of Rascals Kim Jong-un Saison - Nice light but sweet with prominent lemony notes.

Black's Session Ale - Lots of grapefruit hoppiness and a decent body for the low abv. Nice beer for what it is.

BPBP Lupe Garou 6.5% - (Fresh Hopped Ale) Rich chewy malty Pale Ale with a sweet and spicy finish with hints of liquorice. Filling, but very nice. Ridiculously expensive though.

I wanted to get a Growler of the O'Brother beer but they had no Growlers left so I just had another one to tide me over.

Food was top notch as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

That is a joke. Why didn't you get a pint for 5.50 though?

cause they had none left, had one and left to go to my local off licence that does 4 for €11.50 - go figure GBB :confused:

cause they had none left, had one and left to go to my local off licence that does 4 for €11.50 - go figure GBB :confused:

That's a joke if they had none on draft and charged over 1 euro more for the bottle. Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,766 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Picked up a couple of Wicklow Wolf bottles in O"Briens, this is my local brewery and I've met the guys running it so I'd like them to do well.

But neither were anything to write home about; Kentucky Common is a fairly basic brown ale, Locavore has some spiel about locally grown hops on the label but very little actual hop taste or aroma that I noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Sister got me a pix and mix hamper from McHughs tonight.

Just finished off a Hopbot by Hop City and a Hoptimum. Both very similar. Smooth and easy to drink, considering the high % ABV. Well mellowed out now :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

The Wicklow Wolf American Amber is worth a try, especially good on draught and their porter isn't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I paid €7.50 for a bottle of O'Haras Leann Follain in Harrys on the Green last night. Several times :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Independent are another strange one. All their beers are quite expensive for Irish beers and it has always put me off trying them.

For people in Galway: the Independent pale, gold and red ales are €3 each in Centra, Forster Street. That's particularly good value for the pale ale, which is 6% and very good, IMO.

BMJD wrote: »
    I paid €7.50 for a bottle of O'Haras Leann Follain in Harrys on the Green last night. Several times :pac:

That's unbelievable.

• Advertisement

McGraths is another expensive one. Something like €4.00-€4.50 for a bottle of 4-5% abv. Price has always turned me off trying them. Anybody else tried them? Worth the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

slayerking wrote: »
    That's unbelievable.

you better believe it, they also try bumming tips the feckers!

f4gz1h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I also had the St Bernardus Christmas Ale on tap in the Abbots. It's awful. Really awful. It tastes musty, it tastes dried out and stale..

Hope it was a bad barrel or something.
    I've picked up a couple of bottles and at over 4euro a bottle I've hopping it will be good. Love the St Bernardus Abt 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

BMJD wrote: »
    you better believe it, they also try bumming tips the feckers!

f4gz1h.jpg

How much was a Guinness or Heineken for comparison?

If a Heineken was the same as the wine at 6.50 then it's not a huge jump to 7.50 for the stronger and much nicer beer. Still very pricy but more to do with the venue than "craft"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Trouble Brewings Hidden Agenda is superb. About half way between Graffiti and Viet Now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

8 Degrees Russian Imperial at home, after being down in The Hole In The Wall - had a Big Hop Red to start down there - it's not bad actually, having previously slated it, it's not heavy like most reds can be, there is a bit of life to it, slightly lifted by some hops and with a good bit more carbonation than is typical of the style too, it's most definitely not a "Big Hop" though.

Also had a 8 Degrees Hurricane, which is lovely and fruity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

jaysis,that Russian Imperial is damn fine stuff, so complex, lots going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout.
    Can taste the 10% alcohol alright but not getting any chocolate from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

That Galway bay sour beer is fantastic. 3% and tastes like an apple drop.

love the fermentation photo too.

https://twitter.com/Bready_Hopper/status/547014461568331776/photo/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

McGraths is another expensive one. Something like €4.00-€4.50 for a bottle of 4-5% abv. Price has always turned me off trying them. Anybody else tried them? Worth the money?

€6 for a btl of McGraths in the Glen Royal hotel Maynooth. have also noticed they are 40/50/60 cents dearer than most other Irish craft beers in off licence

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement