Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,933 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Sky King wrote: »
    O'Shea's Traditional Irish Golden Ale from Aldi. Really enjoying this. Is it new? It's lovely.

Ooh! You just reminded me. I have one in the fridge. One of their Belgian offerings as well. Now which to go for first?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

And speaking of old favorites :
    Have my tastes changed so much or is the current batch of O Hara's keg Irish PA really rubbish?
    (in Abbot's,Cork; the keg is fresh)
    I haven't had it in a while.

Old favourites eh? I picked up some Sierra Nevada Pale Ale earlier along with Celebration. The Pale Ale is just such a classic. Really is a top beer. Enjoying the Celebration too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,976 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Lads, the off licence beside The Comet has the 4 Brehon beers priced at 3.10, even the 7.7% porter. And the 6%ipa.

There's also a lovely woman giving out samples of the 4 beers.

The IPA is quite good, the red is red and the blonde is good for a blonde.

The porter is very good though and at that price I'll be picking up a couple

Some SupervaluQuinn shops have the red and blonde at €2.99 at 4 for €10. If the other come in at that price, my Christmas will be nicely pickled :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Poor old Galway Hooker.
    It seems not so long ago they were very much the vanguard of the new wave of Irish brewers and it was everybody's favorite beer!
    And now.........?.?

I hope they're still selling plenty of beer, though.

When I first tried it, it blew my mind. Now, I settle for it and I hate myself for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

And speaking of old favorites :
    Have my tastes changed so much or is the current batch of O Hara's keg Irish PA really rubbish?
    (in Abbot's,Cork; the keg is fresh)
    I haven't had it in a while.

Every batch of this is different in my experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Had two bottles of Bo Bristle last night. Made in Banagher, Offaly.

Superb stuff. It was their Amber Ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

drumswan wrote: »
    Every batch of this is different in my experience

Really? I would say its very consistent. In fact, I'd say that I Haras beers always tend to be.

Some SupervaluQuinn shops have the red and blonde at €2.99 at 4 for €10. If the other come in at that price, my Christmas will be nicely pickled :)

That would be sweet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭astraj

Bishops Finger. A go to ale for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I think the porter is exceptionally nice & I'll definitely pick a few up for the weekend

I like the IPA as well- nice to have a piney, resinous IPA rather than a citrusy one

Just supping a porter now myself - 3 for €10 in SuperValue. The IPA is a bit too 'soapy' for my liking - would much prefer a killer IPA like Of Foam and Fury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tried White Hag's Christmas ale last night.
    I've never liked a Christmas spiced offering before but this is really subtly spiced and had a lovely dry, almost sour finish.
    Best in class!

Just supping a porter now myself - 3 for €10 in SuperValue. The IPA is a bit too 'soapy' for my liking - would much prefer a killer IPA like Of Foam and Fury.

OFAF is a double IPA so it's not comparing like with like

The Brehon IPA isn't as in your face hoppy for sure, liked that it wasn't just citrus hoppiness that most Irish Pale ales/ IPAs go for- nice to have a more piney flavour

Could have done with a lot of dry hopping or late hopping for aroma IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

If you like a nice double IPA you should try some Two Captains. Deliciously hoppy... but pricey as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

331684.jpg

:D:D

This week, and the next few weeks!

8 Degrees order arrived and was divvied up between me and my mates, there's one box missing from the pic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

^ now that's the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Bo Bristle DIPA, very nice. Have to wonder why they and mountain man don't just stick to making their dipa, have found their other beers to be very average. Why aren't they bottling this too...

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Straylight

Köstritzer Schwarzbier. It's a shame that schwarzbiers aren't more readily available as it's an underrated style in this country imo, and a nice change from where everything seems to have to be hopped within an inch of its life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Straylight wrote: »
    Köstritzer Schwarzbier. It's a shame that schwarzbiers aren't more readily available as it's an underrated style in this country imo, and a nice change from where everything seems to have to be hopped within an inch of its life.

You cannot beat a good schwarzbier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

A lovely beer, had it in a small local in Hamburg three years ago, 2.50 a 400 ml glass while herself was attracting the attentions of an amorous older German gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Ryath

jsa112 wrote: »
    Bo Bristle DIPA, very nice. Have to wonder why they and mountain man don't just stick to making their dipa, have found their other beers to be very average. Why aren't they bottling this too...

Really like their IPA the amber ale is just ok. Tried the the DIPA at the craft beer festival and it was nice but nothing to compare to Galway Bays Of Foam and Fury

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Köstritzer is lovely alright. I found the Czech Breznak a really really nice Schwarzbier too, cheaper than the Köstritzer where I was, and a wonderfully sessionable 3.8% without tasting weak in the slightest. Never seen it in Ireland though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Today I went on a pilgrimage. Or rather, my girlfriend brought me to Cork. :P

I made my first ever visit to the Bierhaus around 9:30. Had a pint of the 8 Degrees Belgian Dubbel. Lovely stuff. Followed it with half a pint of White Hag's Marzen. I've never had anything like it. Really nice. Like what Smithwicks should taste like.

Got back to the Franciscan Well for the first time in 30 months. Had a pint each of Shandon Stout and Kinnegar's Scraggy Bay IPA. Even herself enjoyed the taste of them. Definitely worth the journey south.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Guinness West Indies porter is fine and dandy until you have 3 in a row. Then... Nah.

One and move on, job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Had the 2014 celebration ale and snow wit IPA last night. Celebration as good as ever but i generally like them a year old. Not a fan of white IPA. Will prob be my first and last

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

I was in New York recently and made my way out to Brooklyn to sample what Torst had.

First thing I tried was Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge, first thing I thought was that I had ordered wine! Very vinegar-y flavour. I got talking to the guy behind the bar and it turned out I ordered a sour beer, think that could be my last, definitely not my type.
    Next test was BdbBi(g)BodyIbu. It smelled lovely, tasted a bit meh at first but right at the end ya get whacked with hops!
    Lastly I wanted to try a stout, so tried my hand at I Love You With My Stout. My favourite stout, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Killing time in town so popped into against the grain. Just trying Via Maris for the first time. Very enjoyable highly surprised the amount of flavour they have packed into it. A nice low abv Sunday drink .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭CR 7

Saltaire Triple Chocoholic Stout. So good that I don't want to drink any so there's more left.:D It's probably a bit too chocolatey to have more than 1 at a time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Blacks of Kinsale KPA is my preferred tipple of late. A very smooth and full ipa which in my opinion is up there with the best Ireland's craft scene has to offer at the moment..Dunnes having it in there four for nine euro offer is a fantastic addition and long may it continue:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Had a Sierra Nevada Bigfoot which I bought 8 or 9 months ago, originally I thought it had a sweet berry type taste but this mellowed out a lot. It reminded me a bit of Torpedo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Straylight

Just had my first Christmas beer of the season, Brew Dog's Santa Paws. A very tasty Scotch ale, and probably the nicest Brew Dog beer I've tasted to date.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement