Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humax Pvr freeview box

Options
  • 11-01-2014 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

I was thinking of using this box for my irish channels.What are the limitations i would have using it.I already have a Humax freesat pvr box for 2 years now and i love the quality picture it gives.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

I'm currently using the HDR Fox T2 and a HD Fox T2 from Humax, and although they're not 'officially' Saorview aprooved, they both work perfctly well for Saorview & Freeview.

The irish and UK EPG's load seperately, at the moment there's no way round that, but it's not all that much trouble switching between them. Series link works on both platforms, but you need to add 'padding' to the recording timer for this to work.

My understanding is that these two models are no longer being manufactured, and when existing stock is exhausted that wil be that. Both the STB and PVR models will of course be replaced with new models, and it'll take someone to actually try them out to see how well they work over here.

When I bought my HDR, it's replacement was already available, but the newer model didn't have the buit-in DLNA compatility, (so no streaming content between devices in-house). This was a deal breaker for me so I opted for the older model

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Thanks for the heads up on new Humax models.I will keep an eye out for them as i am in no great hurry to upgrade.I don't live near the border so i will be using the box purely for saorview. Its great news to hear the freeview box will record the saorview channels.Do you have any problems using the 2 Humax boxes together? Are there any conflicts using 2 similar remotes?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

huggs2 wrote: »
    Do you have any problems using the 2 Humax boxes together? Are there any conflicts using 2 similar remotes?

Old thread here which deals with conflicting Humax remotes - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056119109

The Cush wrote: »
    Old thread here which deals with conflicting Humax remotes - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056119109
    More great news.Thanks Cush.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

Thanks for the heads up on new Humax models.I will keep an eye out for them as i am in no great hurry to upgrade.I don't live near the border so i will be using the box purely for saorview. Its great news to hear the freeview box will record the saorview channels.Do you have any problems using the 2 Humax boxes together? Are there any conflicts using 2 similar remotes?

I'm not affected by this as the two boxes are in different rooms. Useful info though in that old thread linked by Cush. Strange anomaly though, the channels on Mux 2 are in different LCN's on both boxes!

[Edit] The replacement for the HDR Fox T2 has the 'YouView' facility built in, not sure if that will work in the Republic, but as a straight PVR, in theory it should work ok.

• Advertisement

MACHEAD wrote: »
    Strange anomaly though, the channels on Mux 2 are in different LCN's on both boxes!

What are the different LCNs?
    MACHEAD wrote: »
    [Edit] The replacement for the HDR Fox T2 has the 'YouView' facility built in, not sure if that will work in the Republic, but as a straight PVR, in theory it should work ok.

I would be interested to know how it handles Saorview subtitles.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

[QUOTE
    I would be interested to know how it handles Saorview subtitles.[/QUOTE]

OP in this thread has one of the YouView boxes.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057109474

OP in this thread has one of the YouView boxes.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057109474

Thanks for the reply, I was referring to the Humax HDR-2000T released late last year - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1876978&highlight=hdr+2000t

Thanks for the info guys. This is the box i am interested in as cush has pointed out.
    http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/product.php?gid=442&pid=4
    Just wondering if anyone has got one yet? i really only want to timer record on Saorview only.Presumably from the epg if its available?.This box makes the Humax app store available with Youtube on the list and the ability for wi-fi with a connection to my dual band wireless router.

Thanks for the info guys. This is the box i am interested in as cush has pointed out.
    http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/product.php?gid=442&pid=4
    Just wondering if anyone has got one yet? i really only want to timer record on Saorview only.Presumably from the epg if its available?.This box makes the Humax app store available with Youtube on the list and the ability for wi-fi with a connection to my dual band wireless router.

I would assume Saorview recording/epg shouldn't be a problem as with previous Humax DTT boxes but my guess is teletext font Saorview subtitles may continue to be a problem as with previous receivers.

If you look around the internet the box does come with certain problems. A problem much discussed since it was launched is the lack of UHF loopthrough when the box is switched to standby, might be fixed in a future software update.

• Advertisement

Ordered my humax HDR-2000T from Amazon today.Should have it in a week.I will report back when i get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Ordered my humax HDR-2000T from Amazon today.Should have it in a week.I will report back when i get it.

Please do report back. I too just want a Saorview only pvr. As the Walker one sounds totally unreliable as regards series link etc, I am hoping that the box you have ordered, might be the answer, particularly if it's reliable on series link. I don't mind the channels being numbered in the 800s etc.

galtee boy wrote: »
    Please do report back. I too just want a Saorview only pvr. As the Walker one sounds totally unreliable as regards series link etc, I am hoping that the box you have ordered, might be the answer, particularly if it's reliable on series link. I don't mind the channels being numbered in the 800s etc.
    I have the box now for 2 days and i am very happy with it.The picture is excellent as is the audio.The guide works well and so does series link.If you select a program that is set for series link in the schedule an s appears next to the timer icon and better still if you hit the right button there is a drop down with the same program listed but with a date a week later.I am confident it will record when the time comes.I don't have a need for subtitles but they work fine. At the moment i am watching the live rugby match from Wales and there is also live text with a different colour for each of the 2 commentators.The text is placed at the top out of the way of the action.Its a good size and very sharp from what i remember of the old text.There is no TV/RADIO button on the R/C but i eventually found the radio when i hit the "list" button and scrolled left and right.They can be put in the order you want when you select "favourites" as can the tv channels.They are as you say in the 800,s which does not bother me either.The tv portal has just 13 apps as of now.Youtube i like but i am having trouble logging into Flickr and Picassa where i have lots of photos.I would like to see them on the big screen. The media player is superb on this box.There is a usb on the front which i used to play a HD movie on.You can have photos and music on a usb stick as well.I love this box and if you need to know more let me know.I bought mine from Amazon in case it did not work.They have a no quibble return policy.The price worked out at €215.

They are as you say in the 800,s which does not bother me either.

Thanks for taking the time to post back.

The channels are stored in the 800s, is there an option to move them to LCN 1, 2 etc.?

Thanks for taking the time to post back.

The channels are stored in the 800s, is there an option to move them to LCN 1, 2 etc.?
    no. LCN is not mentioned anywhere unlike the saorview boxes.I put the 8 tv channels in FAVOURITE 1 and in the order i wanted them.Flicking up and down the 8 channels is no big deal as they are all together.

no. LCN is not mentioned anywhere unlike the saorview boxes.I put the 8 tv channels in FAVOURITE 1 and in the order i wanted them.Flicking up and down the 8 channels is no big deal as they are all together.

Thanks also for posting back on this. It sounds like this is finally a good alternative to that totally unreliable Walker pvr. When it tunes in the channels in the 800's, does it tune them in randomly or in order, as in 801 RTE1, 802 RTE2 etc ? Also, you might post back again in a few days and let us know if series link is still ok, particularly if a programme starts late or runs overtime. If all continues ok, it sounds like we could be on to a winner with this box.

galtee boy wrote: »
    Thanks also for posting back on this. It sounds like this is finally a good alternative to that totally unreliable Walker pvr. When it tunes in the channels in the 800's, does it tune them in randomly or in order, as in 801 RTE1, 802 RTE2 etc ? Also, you might post back again in a few days and let us know if series link is still ok, particularly if a programme starts late or runs overtime. If all continues ok, it sounds like we could be on to a winner with this box.
    Since the 2nd mux came on there are now lots of extra blank channels so yes the channels tune in on random numbers e.g. 820-RTE1.The 1st seven channels on radio are "UNKNOWN'. I will let you know if the series link works which should be Friday.Hopefully the programs will not need any padding at the beginning or end as that is quite annoying.I had that problem when i first got my
    Humax Freesat box but i have not have a problem for quite some time now.

Update. I contacted Humax about not been able to sign in to Flickr and Picassa
    and apparently its a problem with the apps software which they are looking into.
    The green button at the bottom of the page for signing in is missing.Today i have selected some TV programs which run mostly daily to check the series link on a daily basis, such as Eastenders ,Neighbours & Nationwide.

Since the 2nd mux came on there are now lots of extra blank channels so yes the channels tune in on random numbers e.g. 820-RTE1.The 1st seven channels on radio are "UNKNOWN'.

That would be a negative for me unfortunately, so the wait for decent Saorview PVR continues.

Update. I contacted Humax about not been able to sign in to Flickr and Picassa
    and apparently its a problem with the apps software which they are looking into.
    The green button at the bottom of the page for signing in is missing.Today i have selected some TV programs which run mostly daily to check the series link on a daily basis, such as Eastenders ,Neighbours & Nationwide.

That will be a good test of the series link facility. I must agree with The Cush , it's a pity the channels are numbered randomly, I knew they would be in the 800's, but I thought they would be in order or at least that they could be re numbered. Whether it's a deal breaker for me, I'm not sure yet.

• Advertisement

That would be a negative for me unfortunately, so the wait for decent Saorview PVR continues.
    Update.Short version. Channels do tune in order.
    Long version. I had a think about this last night and had a look around the settings of the box.Sure enough where you have the info for the mux channels i had four? 26,23,48 & 55. Turns out i am on high ground and in between 2 transmitters. When i tuned on auto i picked up channels from both transmitters.
    The main transmitter is Mahera so i tuned manually mux 1 in first (ch.48) & then mux2 (ch.55 ) the channels now tune in the correct order (sort of) for now.
    I got on to saorview about this,because 801 is now RTE1 in SD. & marked "unknown " also 7&8 are "unknown"which are RTE junior & RTE One + 1.The explanation for this is when they brought out mux 2, RTE 1 HD was put on ch.820 & the 7&8 were duplicated to ch. 825 & 826 respectively.which are correctly labeled.The plans are to delete the old channels at the end of April and the change will mean RTE1 HD will tune in on ch. 801 from that time.Hope this makes sense and sorry for misleading every one.BTW mux 1&2 Ch. 26 & 23 are
    from a local relay station Tonabrocky.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

Took the plunge and ordered one on amazon. Will report when I have it. Itching at dumping sky a while now. One question will my magic eyes from sky still work. And if so can 2nd remotes be ordered?

Update.Short version. Channels do tune in order.
    Long version. I had a think about this last night and had a look around the settings of the box.Sure enough where you have the info for the mux channels i had four? 26,23,48 & 55. Turns out i am on high ground and in between 2 transmitters. When i tuned on auto i picked up channels from both transmitters.
    The main transmitter is Mahera so i tuned manually mux 1 in first (ch.48) & then mux2 (ch.55 ) the channels now tune in the correct order (sort of) for now.
    I got on to saorview about this,because 801 is now RTE1 in SD. & marked "unknown " also 7&8 are "unknown"which are RTE junior & RTE One + 1.The explanation for this is when they brought out mux 2, RTE 1 HD was put on ch.820 & the 7&8 were duplicated to ch. 825 & 826 respectively.which are correctly labeled.The plans are to delete the old channels at the end of April and the change will mean RTE1 HD will tune in on ch. 801 from that time.Hope this makes sense and sorry for misleading every one.BTW mux 1&2 Ch. 26 & 23 are
    from a local relay station Tonabrocky.

That's the problem with Freeview spec receivers, they save out of region or non-UK channels in the 800s as they are required to do as per the Freeview specification, I posted this previously. A further problem with this Humax receiver is that it won't allow you to reorder/renumber the channels the way you want or select Ireland or another country other than the UK which would automatically save the channels in the Saorview LCN order or simply from position 1 upwards as found.

Short sighted I believe on Humax's part considering they have a market next door which wouldn't really require them to seek Saorview approval if they would allow channel reordering or provide a country setting other than UK at setup.

Also in the Freeview mode all channels found are stored, even from multiple transmitters. In the Saorview spec only the channels from the transmitter with the best quality reception are stored with the others ignored.

Unfortunately when the duplicate channels are closed down in April RTÉ1 HD will not move to 801 because it will remain on Mux2 and it will be found and stored after the Mux1 channels, it and RTÉjr/RTÉ1+1 won't be moving to Mux1.

Below it the current Mux1 and Mux2 channel lineup, it will remain pretty much the same after April when the duplicated channels are removed. So your Humax box will store the channels from Mux1 first followed by Mux2.

Current Saorview multiplex line-up
    Multiplex 1
    LCN
    |
    Channel
    ||
    249*|SSU|data channel||
    11|no channel name (RTÉ 1 simulcast)|SD|temporary, going at the end of April
    02|RTÉ Two|HD|
    03|TV3|SD|
    04|TG4|SD|
    05|3e|SD|
    06|RTÉ News Now|SD|
    17|no channel name (RTÉ Junior simulcast**)|SD|temporary, going at the end of April
    18|no channel name (RTÉ1 +1 simulcast**)|SD|temporary, going at the end of April
    200|RTÉ Radio 1|Radio|
    201|RTÉ Radio 1 Extra|Radio|
    202|RTÉ 2FM|Radio|
    203|RTÉ Lyric FM|Radio|
    204|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta|Radio|
    205|RTÉ Pulse|Radio|
    206|RTÉ 2XM|Radio
    207*|(not used)||previously RTÉ Choice
    208|RTÉ Gold|Radio|
    209|RTÉ Junior/RTÉ Chill|Radio

Multiplex 2
    LCN
    |
    Channel
    ||
    250*|SSU|data channel|
    01|RTÉ One|HD|
    12*|(no channel name/testcard)|HD|
    13*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|RTÉ Lyric FM audio
    14*|(no channel name/testcard)|HD|TG4 subtitles and teletext previously
    15*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta audio
    16|(not used)||
    07|RTÉ Junior**|SD|
    08|RTÉ One +1**|SD|
    211-212*|(no radio channel names)|Radio|no audio
    213*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|RTÉ Lyric FM audio
    214*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta audio
    215-217*|(no radio channel names)|Radio|no audio
    218-219*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|RTÉ Gold audio
    220*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|no audio

* Hidden on Saorview receivers but can be selected by entering the channel no. via the remote control
    ** RTÉ Junior 0700-1845 approx / RTÉ One +1 1900-0100/0200 approx. Timesharing

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

Something I can live with. Could not live with the Walkers bugs and software not to mention remote.

trabpc wrote: »
    Could not live with the Walkers bugs and software not to mention remote.

Agree with you on the bugs but I don't have a problem with its remote control.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Does the older model (Humax HDR-Fox T2) suffer from the same inability to delete/move channels?

JDxtra wrote: »
    Does the older model (Humax HDR-Fox T2) suffer from the same inability to delete/move channels?

It appears so - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72351374#post72351374

The humax today has recorded faircity 3 Days in a row without any problems.:)
    I don't watch soaps but i checked the beginning and end of each program and they are all intact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

JDxtra wrote: »

You can delete channels on the Fox T2. Can this not be done on the newer model?

• Advertisement

Update. The box has just finished recording the Late late show and the beginning and end are intact.This is the second recording with series link.:)

Advertisement