Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humax BT YouView PVR

Options
  • 22-12-2013 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

I got this new PVR from BT during the week,
    Few points that I did not like or features not working properly regarding Saorview
    I know this PVR is solely for Freeview HD but me being in the north also receiving Saorview.

For Saorvuew
    • EPG for Saorview is very slow loading EIT data
    • No program information when looking in EPG to record programs
    • No program description when press i button during live show.
    • Saorview channels in 800s range and in no order,
    • i.e radio and TV channels mixed up from first mulitplex it picked up and then the next mux being push further up the 800s range.

for NI Freeview HD
    • No UTV player or catchup TV
    • No RTE catchup on channel 52 & 53
    General
    • No editing in channels, to delete or to do manual tuning
    • No slow play, 1/2 1/4 or 1/8 play speed like Humax HDR-Fox T2 does have.
    • NO channel list by pressing 1 button like HDR-Fox T2 does have.
    • EPG guide is not as good as HDR-Fox T2.
    I will let you know more over time when I see anything else

My view that this PVR is not as good as the HDR-Fox T2 and it is no way suitable for Saorview alone.

First two pictures shown below are from Saorview and the last two pictures are from NIMM.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

You won't be able to record anything on the Saorview muxes if you leave the box on a Freeview mux and vice versa. The box will fail any recording on a Saorview mux, if you are watching a Freeview one. UTV won't allow them to offer the ITV player in NI, likewise they don't seem too bothered about the UTV player not being on the YouView platform.
    The box will become very unresponsive if you switch from an Freeview mux to a Saorview one and vice versa, as it starts populating the EPG from the other mux.
    These issues are known to YouView and have caused problems for customers with Freeview Lite and Main Freeview tx's on their boxes.
    They aren't bothered about Saorview, for obvious reasons, I've gone back to using my old BT Vision box which happily handles all muxes with no problems. No UTV HD on it though as UTV don't allow BT to stream HD ITV in NI.
    The EPG info on the Freeview version of RTE is updated more often than that on the RTE Muxes and is usually more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

This Humax Youview PVR failed to record any programs, via Saorview, that I set up to be recorded.
    Recording from FV is 100% Manual recording from SV is OK
    Yes the UI is very sluggish and slow to respond. the box does hang up when changing channel from FV to SV
    Very disappointed with this Youview.
    Youview is over-rated
    It is going back to BT.

It will record Saorview, as long as you leave the box on a Saorview Mux when you turn it to standby or if you are watching another channel on the Saorview mux when the recording is due to start. As I explained, once you go to a freeview mux it "thinks" the lineup has changed and therefore can't "see" the programme you have booked to record. I did flag this up with YouView over a year ago - it has been causing problems for people using Freeview Lite and Freeview Main tx's too. The boxes were planned to take their recording triggers from the EPG info - once you go off the Freeview/Saorview MUX it can't see the info any more and fails the recording.

SRB wrote: »
    It will record Saorview, as long as you leave the box on a Saorview Mux when you turn it to standby or if you are watching another channel on the Saorview mux when the recording is due to start. As I explained, once you go to a freeview mux it "thinks" the lineup has changed and therefore can't "see" the programme you have booked to record. I did flag this up with YouView over a year ago - it has been causing problems for people using Freeview Lite and Freeview Main tx's too. The boxes were planned to take their recording triggers from the EPG info - once you go off the Freeview/Saorview MUX it can't see the info any more and fails the recording.
    The PVR should be able to record without user being there to make sure is on the right Mux.
    It is not as good as the HDR Fox T2, UI too sluggish and too many button presses to get to the recording menu. unlike HDR Fox T2, just 1 button press and you are in the recording menu.

Yes, it should, but it isn't a "normal" pvr - it's running s/w for YouView services aimed at the UK Freeview market. Many, many people have complained about the failed recording issues on their own forum, but the answer is more or less always the same, make sure you are only using one transmitter for your freeview services.

• Advertisement

Update to post #1 above.

For Saorvuew
    • EPG for Saorview is very slow loading EIT data
    • No program information when looking in EPG to record programs
    • No program description when press i button during live show.
    • Saorview channels in 800s range and in no order,
    • i.e radio and TV channels mixed up from first mulitplex it picked up and then the next mux being push further up the 800s range.
    • No subtitles
    • Failed to record program if the tuner was not on SV mux before going into standby mode

for NI Freeview HD
    • No UTV player or catchup TV
    • No RTE catchup on channel 52 & 53
    General
    • No editing in channels, to delete or to do manual tuning
    • No slow play, 1/2 1/4 or 1/8 play speed like Humax HDR-Fox T2 does have.
    • NO channel list by pressing 1 button like HDR-Fox T2 does have.
    • EPG guide is not as good as HDR-Fox T2.
    • Too many button presses to get to the recording menu
    I will let you know more over time when I see anything else

My view that this PVR is not as good as the HDR-Fox T2 and it is no way suitable for Saorview alone.

Advertisement