Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

We need to start getting that ball into the two of Lar/Seamie/Bubbles more though.

If i have criticism today its that Dublin seemed to have a spare man in that right wing back position for alot of that game. We seemed to have too many too far out the field.

Overall I think Lar is having a fine championship to be honest. This is a player of 33 we have to remember and he has showed some unreal ability. Still as athletic as ever.

Ya he scored two cracking points at the start And i really Thought he would kick on from that but to me he just didn't offer much after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Delighted with the win but we didn't get enough ball into Lar and Seamie,to many fellas going for spectacular points.

Fair slow to make changes on the line,Dennis Maher should have come in earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Was it me or was the 'athmosphere' yesterday for both matches like being at a funeral, you could hear a pin drop. If they even had the Sean Treacy pipe band lead the teams around it might have built up some bit of noise around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Was it me or was the 'athmosphere' yesterday for both matches like being at a funeral, you could hear a pin drop. If they even had the Sean Treacy pipe band lead the teams around it might have built up some bit of noise around the place.

It was, but I put that down to the one sided nature of the games. Dublin and wexford played at league pace. No offence to the leinster teams but they were ****e.

If it had been tipp vs Limerick and wexford v Dublin it would have been very different.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I thought Gar Ryan was poor and not for the first time. He looks miles off the pace. Denis was going well in the league and should be starting. He hasnt put a foot wrong for us

I thought Gar finished the game very well, got 2 or 3 points. But was very poor in the first half. I actually thought when Denis came on as the blood sub and played a part in the first goal, that he would be in as a permanent sub straight away after that for Gar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

Am in total agreement about D.Maher, he could offer a lot and is very hard to dispossess once on the ball. That pass through when he dragged 3 players onto him was very well thought out and worked. He could become a Walter Walsh style player with more vision and skill I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

Good discussion on the weekends games on local radio tonight.

Atmosphere is always poor at double header games,to many neutral fans for each game,the League double header down in Limerick was the very same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Some awful ****e being talked about Denis Maher - he did well for the goal but didn't manage to score...

Tipp will not contest nevermind win the ALL-Ireland without Bonner and Gar Ryan at full tilt - Gar is the type of busy up and down player we badly need- he is instrumental to the tactics being played - the same tactics which one the AL in 2010 - wing backs go deep - cover and make it hard for the other team to run through out half back line - Gar's greatest asset is his long and short passing off the hurl - fantastic delivery -

Not a vintage display from Tipp but job got done - without getting into the top gears - how Gar Ryan is highlighted above others for being taken off or playing badly is beyond me - lads are looking at who is scoring (even on that logic Bubbles was the only one who scored more than Gar from play- Gar was Tipp's highest point scorer from play) - Few worked harder than Gar in the forwards apart from Bonner

There is no logic - none - that would support Denis Maher playing ahead of Gar - what Denis has shown is he can make an impact off the bench

But I would suggest that we all better hope and pray that Bonner that stays in form and Gar gets into top form - he's getting there - then we'll have a chance of winning the semi and AL- if not - no chance - we have plenty of stickmen but not enough work horses and creative players - not creative in the sense of Noelie - but creative in turning over ball and hunting down ball and blocking space before launching long accurate passes...

Some examples of Gar Ryan's work rate:

Gar gets in Big hit on rushe
    Works tirelessly up and down the field – often with no reward – marking space – making it hard for Dublin to break us down – creating space for the full forward line – noelie is asked to do the same
    Gar sores Big point just before half time to extend out the lead
    The goal came from an outstanding take from Gearoid Ryan from a sideline – took it in the half back position and delivered a good ball to Corbett which broke off him and Denis picked up – Denis then put it into the path of Woodlock and onto to Callinan then onto Bubbles for the goal
    Next ball into the forwards was lost by Denis
    Gar then delivers an excellent ball into noelie – who drops the ball into goalie’s hands rather than over the bar from 25 yards
    Then gearoid scores next point to push it out to eight point gap
    Then D Mahe comes on for noelie- permanent sub
    Denis Maher takes a puck out and then drops it into goal keeper’s hands…
    Then Jason Ford comes on for Gearoid with ten minutes to go

He scored a third point too – think it was in the second half – can’t remember when

• Advertisement

Some awful ****e being talked about Denis Maher - he did well for the goal but didn't manage to score...

Tipp will not contest nevermind win the ALL-Ireland without Bonner and Gar Ryan at full tilt - Gar is the type of busy up and down player we badly need- he is instrumental to the tactics being played - the same tactics which one the AL in 2010 - wing backs go deep - cover and make it hard for the other team to run through out half back line - Gar's greatest asset is his long and short passing off the hurl - fantastic delivery -

Not a vintage display from Tipp but job got done - without getting into the top gears - how Gar Ryan is highlighted above others for being taken off or playing badly is beyond me - lads are looking at who is scoring (even on that logic Bubbles was the only one who scored more than Gar from play- Gar was Tipp's highest point scorer from play) - Few worked harder than Gar in the forwards apart from Bonner

There is no logic - none - that would support Denis Maher playing ahead of Gar - what Denis has shown is he can make an impact off the bench

But I would suggest that we all better hope and pray that Bonner that stays in form and Gar gets into top form - he's getting there - then we'll have a chance of winning the semi and AL- if not - no chance - we have plenty of stickmen but not enough work horses and creative players - not creative in the sense of Noelie - but creative in turning over ball and hunting down ball and blocking space before launching long accurate passes...

Some examples of Gar Ryan's work rate:

Gar gets in Big hit on rushe
    Works tirelessly up and down the field – often with no reward – marking space – making it hard for Dublin to break us down – creating space for the full forward line – noelie is asked to do the same
    Gar sores Big point just before half time to extend out the lead
    The goal came from an outstanding take from Gearoid Ryan from a sideline – took it in the half back position and delivered a good ball to Corbett which broke off him and Denis picked up – Denis then put it into the path of Woodlock and onto to Callinan then onto Bubbles for the goal
    Next ball into the forwards was lost by Denis
    Gar then delivers an excellent ball into noelie – who drops the ball into goalie’s hands rather than over the bar from 25 yards
    Then gearoid scores next point to push it out to eight point gap
    Then D Mahe comes on for noelie- permanent sub
    Denis Maher takes a puck out and then drops it into goal keeper’s hands…
    Then Jason Ford comes on for Gearoid with ten minutes to go

He scored a third point too – think it was in the second half – can’t remember when

The points were pretty much left on a platter for him now to be fair. To me he looked yards off the pace. Finished strong but by that stage the Dubs had given up the ghost.

hahah On a platter, yeah? Right.

Well, he didn't finish the game he was taken off with ten minutes to go...

Yards off what pace? When?

I have given you the examples of when Gar made an impact on the game - you haven;t given me any examples to back up what you're saying...

For me Niall O'meara is still a better option off the bench than Denis - Denis did well for the goal - one pass - but he didn't score -he dropped another one into the keeper's hands - niall is a better all round player (seems to be have discipline issues outside the game though) - Denis is not a wing forward in the contemporary inter county game - does not the have the pace -does not have the engine to get up and down the pitch- he's an inside forward i reckon and a stand up one at that - he just does not have the legs - so much is about pace these days- shane bourke did score - it was a great run by Woodlock for the goal which no one seems to have highlighted

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭oats 2

I have given you the examples of when Gar made an impact on the game - you haven;t given me any examples to back up what you're saying...

For me Niall O'meara is still a better option off the bench than Denis - Denis did well for the goal - one pass - but he didn't score -he dropped another one into the keeper's hands - niall is a better all round player (seems to be have discipline issues outside the game though) - Denis is not a wing forward in the contemporary inter county game - does not the have the pace -does not have the engine to get up and down the pitch- he's an inside forward i reckon and a stand up one at that - he just does not have the legs - so much is about pace these days- shane bourke did score - it was a great run by Woodlock for the goal which no one seems to have highlighted
    The best piece of common sense analysis ive seen on this site for a long time. Don't understand all the hype about Denis maher. Not taking any from him just hasn't enough shown for me anyway to justify all the drama here.gearoid ryan was instrumental in winning the final in 2010.his delivery is exceptional an work rate equal to bonner.also scoring more freely now than 2010.yeah needs to up another gear but name one player that doesn't!!!!taught padie maher played near back to his top form.bergin looks very comfortable at wing . Saint was tidy an has lot of experience in croke Park.there will be big calls to be made when mahony cahill an possibly curran return to full flight.

It's certainly a better position to be than previously years - actual viable options - lads pushing for inclusion - I don't want to be down on Denis Maher - I'm not - he's just not in the same league as Gar Ryan at the moment - i don't he'll ever be as a wing forward - Ryan is a race horse - Denis needs to concentrate on becoming a full forward - but stand up players are not a type of player thriving in the modern game - but he does look to be making an impact off the bench which is great

The real concern with this Cork team - for me - is there midfield looks serious this year - real pace and real stamina in the pace - their breaking through the half back line and causing teams real problems - opening up space for the forwards...- there'll have to be plan for that...

If Cahill is fit and well - I'd have him on Lehane - Cahill won't let us down - Barret on Cadogan - P Maher on Hardeny - Saint on Horgan?!?!

Would people pick McGrath midfield or bring back Bergin there...(That's if O'Mahony is okay to play)

It's actually a hard team to pick now....!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

It is starting to fall into place now alright. Have been very impressed with Bergin the last two games, he has picked himself up after the Limerick game. I think somewhere in the backs is probably best for him. He was reading the game very well and sweeping up. His passing has become more measured too. I thought Shane McGrath played very well too, he is definitely out to prove a point this year but I would worry about him coming up against a guy like Mick Fennelly who he has struggled to match many times in the past.

I wonder how the full back position will unfold, could James Barry hold that position?

So lads if everyone is fit And raring to Go Who would be your starting 15 v cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

buggy beag wrote: »
    So lads if everyone is fit And raring to Go Who would be your starting 15 v cork?

Gleeson
    Barrett
    Curran
    Cahill
    B. Maher
    Barry
    P. Maher
    Bergin
    Woodlock
    Ryan
    P. Maher
    O'Dwyer
    N. McGrath
    Callanan
    Corbett

With Denis Maher, Shane McGrath, Saint, O'Mahony all in reserve to come in.

What's contentious about that team? Full back is certainly up for debate. I'd put Curran in because he's the only natural full back in that team. I think Barry was good there but he lacks the natural height and because we kept Saint and Paudie Maher so close to him we became too narrow. I'd put Paudie and Brendan Maher at wing back. I'm not sure I'd play O'Mahony against Cork considering his lack of mobility with his back.

Cathal Barrett has been excellent for me so I'd just have him in there ahead of Saint who is equally as capable. Cahill is our best player and is a rock at the back. Barry has been excellent this year and is a natural centre back. Bergin and Woodlock to start with McGrath to come on to change it up. McGrath probably deserves to start after his performance against Dublin but I'd keep him in reserve and let him come on in the half back line or midfield if needs be.

Gar Ryan was good against Dublin but he drifted out of the game and looked like he was fairly spent around the 50 minute mark. I thought Denis Maher should have came on earlier for Ryan. Bonnar is just a machine. What a player. Bubbles has been excellent too. He gets a lot of criticism from Tipp supporters but he's been great for us. He's a hard worker and can win his own ball.

The full forward line will be those three guys unless one of them gets injured. Lar has had some great moments and Noel McGrath has been good in periods too. Callanan was ok against Dublin but has had a good year and he'll be vital against Cork.

We'll have some decent options off the bench too with Shane Bourke, Eoin Kelly, Niall O'Meara, Denis Maher etc all available to come in. Rumour has it that Colin O'Riordan will be in the panel for the Cork game.

glued wrote: »
    Gleeson
    Barrett
    Curran
    Cahill
    B. Maher
    Barry
    P. Maher
    Bergin
    Woodlock
    Ryan
    P. Maher
    O'Dwyer
    N. McGrath
    Callanan
    Corbett

With Denis Maher, Shane McGrath, Saint, O'Mahony all in reserve to come in.

What's contentious about that team? Full back is certainly up for debate. I'd put Curran in because he's the only natural full back in that team. I think Barry was good there but he lacks the natural height and because we kept Saint and Paudie Maher so close to him we became too narrow. I'd put Paudie and Brendan Maher at wing back. I'm not sure I'd play O'Mahony against Cork considering his lack of mobility with his back.

Cathal Barrett has been excellent for me so I'd just have him in there ahead of Saint who is equally as capable. Cahill is our best player and is a rock at the back. Barry has been excellent this year and is a natural centre back. Bergin and Woodlock to start with McGrath to come on to change it up. McGrath probably deserves to start after his performance against Dublin but I'd keep him in reserve and let him come on in the half back line or midfield if needs be.

Gar Ryan was good against Dublin but he drifted out of the game and looked like he was fairly spent around the 50 minute mark. I thought Denis Maher should have came on earlier for Ryan. Bonnar is just a machine. What a player. Bubbles has been excellent too. He gets a lot of criticism from Tipp supporters but he's been great for us. He's a hard worker and can win his own ball.

The full forward line will be those three guys unless one of them gets injured. Lar has had some great moments and Noel McGrath has been good in periods too. Callanan was ok against Dublin but has had a good year and he'll be vital against Cork.

We'll have some decent options off the bench too with Shane Bourke, Eoin Kelly, Niall O'Meara, Denis Maher etc all available to come in. Rumour has it that Colin O'Riordan will be in the panel for the Cork game.

Ya pretty much Go with that but like You said full back with curran massive game to be starting with no games under the belt And big pitch in croker

Ya pretty much Go with that but like You said full back with curran massive game to be starting with no games under the belt And big pitch in croker

Yeah it's a massive problem but I think Curran has the experience to overcome it. People are writing him off as well. He'll be ready for a big impact.

glued wrote: »
    Yeah it's a massive problem but I think Curran has the experience to overcome it. People are writing him off as well. He'll be ready for a big impact.

I can't see it happening. Surely he would have been brought in at some stage in the last 2 games if he was anywhere near ready for that level. Would be a massively brave move to bring him in to an All-Ireland semi-final with no games played and one if it back-fired would get O'Shea the world of stick.

• Advertisement

Gar had a good second half, didn't think he was great in the first half. Missed one if not two handy points. I agree he is a crucial player for us though and hopefully can give us a good 70 minute display in the semi.

robbiezero wrote: »
    I can't see it happening. Surely he would have been brought in at some stage in the last 2 games if he was anywhere near ready for that level. Would be a massively brave move to bring him in to an All-Ireland semi-final with no games played and one if it back-fired would get O'Shea the world of stick.

Ya that's a good point.its one thing I shea is Very slow to do And that's make changes.i personally wouldn't mind seen barry playing there i think he's more than capable of doing a job there

Ya that's a good point.its one thing I shea is Very slow to do And that's make changes.i personally wouldn't mind seen barry playing there i think he's more than capable of doing a job there

My feeling is that O'Shea might go for match-ups more so that positions and I would be happy enough with that.
    Like I think he had Paudie mark Keaney regardless of where Keaney went. I am not sure what he will do v Cork, but I imagine Barrett and Cahill will share Horgan and Cadogan as they are our two best man-markers. Paudie possibly on Cronin. Brendan maybe on Harnedy etc.

robbiezero wrote: »

He hasn't been fully for the past 2 games. He's on the bench simply for an emergency situation where we have to bring him in.

He was meant to start against Dublin when Cahill got injured but he wasn't risked in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Why was the Borrisokane v Mullinahome match fixed for tomorrow evening called off?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Two weeks before one of the last big hurling matches of the year..........so just like politics it must be the silly season.

Not quite, but here is something I feel strongly about...........looking through the match programme last Sunday in Thurles I note that the players height and weight were given in imperial........feet and stone etc. As most young people nowadays are taught in metric........why not give these statistics in metric. (Brackets if you like for Imperial)

Keep in mind that the GAA was founded to give our country a separate identity from the U.K. Nowadays we identify more and more with Europe.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Xenophile wrote: »
    Two weeks before one of the last big hurling matches of the year..........so just like politics it must be the silly season.

Not quite, but here is something I feel strongly about...........looking through the match programme last Sunday in Thurles I note that the players height and weight were given in imperial........feet and stone etc. As most young people nowadays are taught in metric........why not give these statistics in metric. (Brackets if you like for Imperial)

Keep in mind that the GAA was founded to give our country a separate identity from the U.K. Nowadays we identify more and more with Europe.

Does it really matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Is their really any issue with players weight being given in imperial/metric? Doesn't matter one bit. People all use both...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

GerB40 wrote: »
    Does it really matter?

Yes it does, we must move with the times. I would not post on the subject otherwise.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Silly season indeed!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement