Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia 2014 - no discussion of current day stage, see spoiler rules in Charter

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Any forecasts for weather next weekend? If it is as bad as it has been the last couple of days could.have some Irish stars struggling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

MPFG wrote: »
    I have with velogames ...called 'il vincitore'

Dan Martin on his way to Belfast ..must be on the flight from barcelona

I hope he's brought his winter woolies. It's cold, wet and windy.

At least he will have a few days to acclimatise, it's going to be **** all week.

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Northern_Ireland/Belfast/long.html

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

Ignorant question time. Just looking at the odds for the Giro. I was surprised at the lack of "big" names at top of market. Why are the likes of contador, valverde, cancellara, froome, wiggins, nibali etc all not competing? Is this not the biggest event after the Tour? Or is it the norm the big guys swerve the Giro in preparation for the tour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

el tel wrote: »
    I hope he's brought his winter woolies. It's cold, wet and windy.

At least he will have a few days to acclimatise, it's going to be **** all week.

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Northern_Ireland/Belfast/long.html

Get out to he airport with an umbrella...should have landed by now :D

Seriously is the wind strong enough to see some echelons along the Irish coast...that would shake it up a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭sbs2010

mickmc7 wrote: »
    Ignorant question time. Just looking at the odds for the Giro. I was surprised at the lack of "big" names at top of market. Why are the likes of contador, valverde, cancellara, froome, wiggins, nibali etc all not competing? Is this not the biggest event after the Tour? Or is it the norm the big guys swerve the Giro in preparation for the tour?

Probably all those reasons.

Plus the tour of California - warmer, easier to win, not as draining for those targeting the Tour, possibly more money.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

mickmc7 wrote: »

Pretty much, it's a little risky riding the Giro first if you're aiming for the TDF. If you're going to crash or get sick, it's better to do it at the end of the season at the Vuelta than the Giro, if you plan on riding two grand tours at all. Contador, Froome and Nibali must all fancy their chances for a TDF win given their recent form. Valverde and Wiggo are probably shattered after his Classics efforts, and Cancellara's focusing on the hour record this year so it's hard to know what he'll be riding.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭irishbuzz

LJYcN7G.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Just saw two Team Sky vehicles going northbound on the M1🚲

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

t'bear wrote: »
    Just saw two Team Sky vehicles going northbound on the M1🚲

Just waiting for the conspiracy theorists to arrive to tell us why they should not be here yeðŸ˜႒ðŸ˜႒🚴

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Sky and FDJ staying at the Park Avenue Hotel http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186470-d211193-Reviews-Park_Avenue_Hotel-Belfast_Northern_Ireland.html . Fairly middle of road in salubriousness stakes. Sincerely hope they have good security on their vehicles.

A few pros spotted today. Pity about the miserable, dark weather otherwise they could get hours done into the evening and Mayne even taken part in a few local club TTs :-)

Any idea where Katusha and BMC are ???

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Might go for a spin around the city on Wednesday, see who I see..

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    Anyone on the 11 bells train to Belfast on the Friday ?

Tickets booked. :) robbin irish rail hounds

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    Anyone on the 11 bells train to Belfast on the Friday ?

Tickets booked. :) robbin irish rail hounds

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

Driving to Belfast after work on Fri to watch the TTT. Hope to knock off early and get there around 5 or 6. Don't know my way round Belfast at all. Any suggestions for where to park up and watch the proceedings?

Rb

• Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

hotels booked - check
    camera batteries on charge- check
    waterproofs and brolley packed- check
    time booked off work- check

hotels booked - check
    camera batteries on charge- check
    waterproofs and brolley packed- check
    time booked off work- check

Flag - check ???

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

took a spin out to Howth from Malahide on Sunday, alot of patch work has been completed on the sections of road but i noticed that Malahide and Baldoyle vilages are still particularly bad, some really large pot holes and damaged sections which could prove dangerous

Still debating where to watch the event from, alot of people are confused about the exact route through Malahide but i think from info that i have seen that it will come down the Swords road from Seabury turn left at Mc Alisters and straight through the town from there. That bend at Mc Alisters could be a good spot :/

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

whacker00 wrote: »
    took a spin out to Howth from Malahide on Sunday, alot of patch work has been completed on the sections of road but i noticed that Malahide and Baldoyle vilages are still particularly bad, some really large pot holes and damaged sections which could prove dangerous

Still debating where to watch the event from, alot of people are confused about the exact route through Malahide but i think from info that i have seen that it will come down the Swords road from Seabury turn left at Mc Alisters and straight through the town from there. That bend at Mc Alisters could be a good spot :/

I reckon it'll be a terrible spot, it's going down Yellow Walls road:

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/media/Race%20Route%20Map%202.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Fleg - check ???

FYP

Flag - check ???

flag in belfast, you are kidding, do you not watch the news :D

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gilleek2

This may have been asked already but is anyone planning on cycling up to Belfast on Friday?

How about a European Union Flag

might just get away with that

I suppose you could have a banner wt C'mon Nico, Dan & Philip

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rkantos

Finnish flag; yeah? (google it, cannot post pictures :) )

Its a sensitive place...ok scrap the flag/fleg idea and get a pink banner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

And Peter Kennaugh is gone for Sky. Replaced by Sutton. I think it's fair to say we shouldn't expect a huge amount from Team Sky in this tour.

• Advertisement

And Peter Kennaugh is gone for Sky. Replaced by Sutton. I think it's fair to say we shouldn't expect a huge amount from Team Sky in this tour.

Its all a celestial plan to deliver the Maliga Rosa to a man from Donegal :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement