Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engagement ring

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭mayobumblebee

i would be terrified of wearing 2 grand on my hands everyday.
    i have a diamond on one hand and a meteorite on the other and we spent no where near that money. i have three gold rings gotten at different times the total cost not over 900
    that being said i know a few girls wearing 4k everyday. i know one girl who cant work with her engagement ring on its too big stone wise, she was the one who chose it but now she complains all the time that she cant wear it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

My sofa cost more than my engagement ring and both our wedding rings together.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's much cheaper getting them abroad
    http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/159987

And remember legally it's a down payment on the bride so if the wedding is called off the man gets to keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

And are women now expected to buy their beaus a present of in it around equal value at the time of the wedding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

And are women now expected to buy their beaus a present of in it around equal value at the time of the wedding?
    I don't know if we're expected to, but I would.

• Advertisement

I don't know if we're expected to, but I would.

Expected was a strong word.

How do women in general feel about the idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

A friend of mine recently got engaged, her engagement ring cost the same as my annual salary for last year. (I work part time) I won't even tell you how much, it's sickening.
    Fml

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Xidu

Its nobody else' business about how much you want to spend on a diomand. Depends on your own finance' situation, you and your future wife' willingness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

I think it really depends on the couple. I've been with my OH almost 10 years. I'd be more disappointed if he didn't put any thought into it and just bought a bog standard ring that someone working in a jewellers pushed on him. When I've clearly explained to him what I'd like! But on the other hand I'm a shallow b*#%h and if he spent less than 2 grand I'd be raging!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I'd personally prefer if very little was spent on a ring. I'd be delighted with €200 - in fact I'd be happier with none. Complete waste of money imo, but if it's important to the couple then they should do what suits. Any more than a week's wages seems like madness though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I'd say in order it'd be:

House
    Car
    Engagement ring
    TV
    Sofa
    Wedding ring

You're missing my point, pessimistic as it is :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I. have a diamond on one hand and a meteorite on the other

Did he buy you that as a surprise or did you planet?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭GoldenLight

I'd personally prefer if very little was spent on a ring. I'd be delighted with €200 - in fact I'd be happier with none. Complete waste of money imo, but if it's important to the couple then they should do what suits. Any more than a week's wages seems like madness though.

It's a promise, and an very will intention (hopeful) to marry someone, in that regards I really happy with what people spend on it, if it makes them happy, I happy for them. I see the ring as a bond between me and my partner, and that's it, to me it could be a brack ring, to my partner it could be something that meant a huge to my partner.

That's what it means though, a symbol of my love for someone, and my promise (which is my promise, and I would never break that) really do we need all these rings:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

It's a promise, and an very will intention (hopeful) to marry someone, in that regards I really happy with what people spend on it, if it makes them happy, I happy for them. I see the ring as a bond between me and my partner, and that's it, to me it could be a brack ring, to my partner it could be something that meant a huge to my partner.

That's what it means though, a symbol of my love for someone, and my promise (which is my promise, and I would never break that) really do we need all these rings:(

Yes you have to do whatever sujts the couple (hopefully there's common ground between the two partners!).

Personally I don't need any symbols. In fact I'd prefer not to have any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

When all is said and done it doesn't matter about the colour or the stone or lack of stone or the size or cost. It's a gesture. Not everyone wants an engagement ring, some women do want one but never get one.

What really matters is the relationship. It's a tradition, and when a woman announces her engagement people automatically assume that there's an engagement ring. It's usually other women that get bitchy about engagement rings tbh.

I think it's madness to get into debt for the sake a ring. My husband was telling me about a colleague of his who bought an engagement ring on his credit card with 50% interest:eek: Most couples live together before they get married and I think a lot of women would rather that their partner didn't spend upwards of 3 thousand on a ring as the money could be better spent on more practical things.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

It all boils down to circumstances I suppose.

It's something your future wife will wear every day for the rest of her life. If you can afford to get a decent one then do it.

If you can't just save harder!

Fwiw, there's nothing worse than seeing a woman's engagement ring and it looks pathetically cheap and tacky. Embarrassing for her and for you.

Never get gold either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

3 months' salary in our case would be 8000-9000 and I think I would murder him if he spent that on something to sit on my finger! 1000-2000 is more than enough.

Or as my dad told my mum when she lost hers - the price of two cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I bought my OH an engagement watch for €1,000. We both got something shiny, it was great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

My husband wanted to pay a months wages, I haggled him down to a week and a half wages. There was no way i'd be comfortable wearing a very expensive ring everyday. I got a gorgeous ring and 11.5 years on I still love it.
    His wedding ring is platinum so nearly cost as much as my engagement ring.

The Cool wrote: »
    3 months' salary in our case would be 8000-9000 and I think I would murder him if he spent that on something to sit on my finger! 1000-2000 is more than enough.

Or as my dad told my mum when she lost hers - the price of two cows.

Absolutely!
    And then you're into the "3 months gross or net?"
    If My other half expected me to pay 3 months gross wages, I think I'd be looking to get another OH!

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Xidu

Absolutely!
    And then you're into the "3 months gross or net?"
    If My other half expected me to pay 3 months gross wages, I think I'd be looking to get another OH!

Good luck so.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

I absolutely adore my engagement and wedding rings, am looking for an eternity ring now to complete the set. It has to be the right one though and I haven't seen it yet.

If you can afford it (we could at the time) and he's happy to buy it for you (he was) I think it's a lovely thing to have and cherish. Every time I look at them they bring me joy. Sometimes the light catches it and the colours and sparkle are mesmerising. I also have tiny fingers, ring finger is an I, so it looks way bigger than it actually is.

Don't bankrupt yourself and agree on it together, after that value is unimportant.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭GoldenLight

When all is said and done it doesn't matter about the colour or the stone or lack of stone or the size or cost. It's a gesture. Not everyone wants an engagement ring, some women do want one but never get one.

What really matters is the relationship. It's a tradition, and when a woman announces her engagement people automatically assume that there's an engagement ring. It's usually other women that get bitchy about engagement rings tbh.

I think it's madness to get into debt for the sake a ring. My husband was telling me about a colleague of his who bought an engagement ring on his credit card with 50% interest:eek: Most couples live together before they get married and I think a lot of women would rather that their partner didn't spend upwards of 3 thousand on a ring as the money could be better spent on more practical things.

But that's the thing most of the guys are expecting to spend a week to 3 months salary on it, as well, I be happy with a club orange tab from a can, not coke or Fanta, but club orange tab, and it fitted my finger, I think I would be just happy (shocked) if someone I loved, loved me enough to ask for my hand in marriage, I would except the brack or club orange flavor ring. At the end of the day it's only me and him, if I believe in it, who cares about my friends:) (I know I still do but, wouldn't that be cool):) Me Happy wouldn't that be cool :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Slattsy wrote: »
    It's something your future wife will wear every day for the rest of her life. If you can afford to get a decent one then do it.

If you can't just save harder!

Fwiw, there's nothing worse than seeing a woman's engagement ring and it looks pathetically cheap and tacky. Embarrassing for her and for you.
    I wouldn't notice tbh. Why should a guy feel pressurised into saving harder? I appreciate you're just being nice and I like chivalry but IMO something like this should be a two-way street and shouldn't involve pressure.
    Xidu wrote: »
    Good luck so.
    Well I don't think that poster indicated their partner is looking for a €5,800 ring (insane money for a ring unless the guy is very very rich).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

SV wrote: »
    I always thought the amount was 3 months wages.

However my OH has told me if I spend that kind of money on her she'll kill me.

That's what I told my fiancé, under no circumstances was he to spend crazy money on it. I would genuinely have been happy with a €50 ring :o

I got a gorgeous (crazy expensive) ring. I love it so much but I'm so afraid of losing it or something :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Wellyd wrote: »
    I think it really depends on the couple. I've been with my OH almost 10 years. I'd be more disappointed if he didn't put any thought into it and just bought a bog standard ring that someone working in a jewellers pushed on him. When I've clearly explained to him what I'd like! But on the other hand I'm a shallow b*#%h and if he spent less than 2 grand I'd be raging!

I find that really really sad :(

I had no say in my ring, which is exactly what I wanted. I wanted him to pick it and if he spent €50 on it I would have been delighted. I wanted it because he wanted to give it to me, and he obviously loved it and that's why he bought it. He spent a lot of money on it, a lot more than I expected him to, and that surprised me. He did it because he saw the ring and loved it, and that's the one he wanted me to wear.

His housemate said she'd never accept a ring that cost less than 5k, I just felt sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

At a recent family event one of my relatives was given a present. My young nephew was eager to see the present unwrapped but the disappointment in his face was evident when he saw it was some jewellery.

"But it's just...a thing...you wear it and that's it. It doesn't do anything."

I tried to explain it to him, but explain what? It's exactly how I feel about such useless and expensive trinkets. Even more so about engagement rings, because it's socially mandated buying and gifting of useless trinkets

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Mine is a family ring, so it didn't cost us anything. I'd rather he got himself a basic road bike in the spring so we could go cycling together tbh. :)

Advertisement