Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engagement ring

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Argos.ie do a nice selection.

I don't get this thing about how many weeks wages should be spent, I mean how long is a piece of string? Firstly decide what type of ring, then visit a few jewellers and do comparisons on price & quality of diamond. Do your homework, then spend whatever the price is (in your price bracket), whether it be €1000 or €5000 including everything in between.

Very important that you get the right type/style of ring, and remember that how much it costs is only part of the equation. Circumstances may dictate that it cost only €80, but if its offered and accepted with true Love and affection then its just as valuable as a 5K ring IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Cost of a Happy Meal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Only an absolute MONGO OF EPIC PROPORTIONS would spend 3 months wages on an engagement ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Only an absolute MONGO OF EPIC PROPORTIONS would spend 3 months wages on an engagement ring.

Why do you say that? If it didn't affect them and wanted to get one for that much and they had the money saved what would be the big deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,203 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Ok I'll say it,
    About 3 fiddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Is that three months gross or net?

That is mental, either way.

I would say to go ring shopping together and see what you the lady in question likes and go from there. It certainly pays to shop around as well.

SV wrote: »
    Why do you say that? If it didn't affect them and wanted to get one for that much and they had the money saved what would be the big deal?

Just my opinion, 3 months wages is about 5 grand. That's just madness unless your loaded. For the average Joe Soap I reckon 500 would be perfect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Hurry up Halloween. You might get one in the brack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Just my opinion, 3 months wages is about 5 grand. That's just madness unless your loaded. For the average Joe Soap I reckon 500 would be perfect.
    You're`being very optimistic, I was shocked at how expensive engagement rings are since my husband got mine 17 years ago. 500 would probably get you an 18 carat gold wedding ring, but you'd be lucky to get even a diamond chip in it.

You're`being very optimistic, I was shocked at how expensive engagement rings are since my husband got mine 17 years ago. 500 would probably get you an 18 carat gold wedding ring, but you'd be lucky to get even a diamond chip in it.

Your shopping in the wrong jewellers. H. Samuel do a nice range of 9 - 18 carat white gold engagement rings (with diamonds) from 300-700 euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

3 months wages!!? I think I'd kill my OH if he spent that much! I don't really want a diamond anyways, I like sapphires, I'd be happy with one from etsy, or a second-hand ring from a seller on donedeal..
    There's loads of them on there that are about half the price of what the seller paid!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

It really isn't the price that matters. As long as the ring is real (as in, won't turn her finger green) and as long as she loves it, price is irrelevant. I've seen rings for over €1000 that were meh, and spectacular ones for under €300.

Your shopping in the wrong jewellers. H. Samuel do a nice range of 9 - 18 carat white gold engagement rings (with diamonds) from 300-700 euros.
    I never really got the appeal of white gold, to me it just looks cheap. Each to their own though. I know platinum is really popular but I prefer 18 carat yellow gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I don't get the hate, as long as it's bought within your means what's the problem how much you spend.

I was in a position to spend a fair bit so I did, my wife will have it forever hopefully so was something I didn't mind spending a bit on.

I know they have no real intrinsic value but a few years later it still makes her happy when she looks at it. And that makes me happy.

Mine broke beyond repair last week after wearing it for 17 years. My husband wants to buy me a new one, we'll probably use Diamond factory, it seems very good and you can choose what colour and carat of gold you want as well at the carat of diamond, it shows you as you go exactly what the ring will cost.

I had to get my engagement and wedding rings cut off after 20 years, as I'd put on a bit of weight. What I did, was go back to the same jeweller and got the stone reset in an identical setting and got the remains of the rings made into a bigger wedding band.

To answer original question, at the time we agreed an amount that was a week of our combined wages. (30 years ago, that came to £150)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

It's all down to what you can afford.
    3 months wages is nuts.
    If I gave my OH a ring for that much she wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it.

The weird thing is how competitive women are with other women.
    Men don't give a sh1t really.

I bought one in August in
    California, for a significant figure but I was comfortable with it & had saved for it as we are together 10 years.

I never really got the appeal of white gold, to me it just looks cheap. Each to their own though. I know platinum is really popular but I prefer 18 carat yellow gold.

Yellow gold is horrendous looking, reminds me of years ago when everybody used to go around with the sovereigns and black diamonds on. White gold is the most popular amongst wedding and engagement rings these days.

Yellow gold is horrendous looking, reminds me of years ago when everybody used to go around with the sovereigns and black diamonds on. White gold is the most popular amongst wedding and engagement rings these days.
    You have no taste, still just as well white gold is as cheap as it looks:p

You have no taste, still just as well white gold is as cheap as it looks:p

Look in most jewellers. The majority of engagement and wedding rings are white gold. I wonder why :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I'm female and I hate the fact men are supposed to pay so much for an engagement ring, but what irks me more are the women who EXPECT their men to spend a fortune on their rings.

If you're in love and your man has proposed to you, it shouldn't matter if the ring cost €100 or €1000..if he picked it out, he obviously thought you'd like it and you'd be one cold-hearted cow to turn your nose up at it.

My fella proposed with a gorgeous ring and I know it didn't cost any more than €400 but I love it; the design, the shape, the stones, but more than that..that he spent what he could on it and that he picked it because he thought I'd like it.

Plus it's what the ring represents, not how much it costs.

• Advertisement

Look in most jewellers. The majority of engagement and wedding rings are white gold. I wonder why :D
    Cause it's cheap:D

Cause it's cheap:D

Or more popular ;)

Or more popular ;)
    Hoodies are popular too, but they don't have the same calibre of style that a well tailored coat has. Still, whatever floats your boat:)

fussyonion wrote: »
    I'm female and I hate the fact men are supposed to pay so much for an engagement ring, but what irks me more are the women who EXPECT their men to spend a fortune on their rings.

If you're in love and your man has proposed to you, it shouldn't matter if the ring cost €100 or €1000..if he picked it out, he obviously thought you'd like it and you'd be one cold-hearted cow to turn your nose up at it.

My fella proposed with a gorgeous ring and I know it didn't cost any more than €400 but I love it; the design, the shape, the stones, but more than that..that he spent what he could on it and that he picked it because he thought I'd like it.

Plus it's what the ring represents, not how much it costs.

Fair play.

More girls should be like this instead of having a "magpie complex"

Hoodies are popular too, but they don't have the same calibre of style that a well tailored coat has. Still, whatever floats your boat:)

Poor analogy :o

Poor analogy :o
    Better than poor mans white gold:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We got my engagement ring from Voltaire Diamonds last year. They said the average spend these days is €3,000 - €4,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Probably about 10525 smug lectures on materialism from broke students divided by the square root of 12463 people in their 20s volunteering the groundbreaking information that they're never ever going to get married, multiplied by 52368 gaseous lectures about unique weddings on Easter Island with only those you really, really care about.

^^^^

Smacks of trying way too hard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

My moms ex-husband, spent about 500quid on a ring.

I'd kill my partner if he even spent that!
    I'm all for wedding bands. but engagements rings, Fah! I'd rather he get me a 3DS with a note inside saying "Will you marry me" lol .. or something, that I could actually use.

Advertisement