Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engagement ring

Options
  • 03-01-2014 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,628 ✭✭✭✭

How much do u reckon the average person spends on an engagement ring ?
    And before anyone says i know its afterhours :D

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

With the recession, the average is 3 weeks wage apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Daqster

Half your monthly net pay minus whatever your average spend is on hookers.

If the latter is more than the former, don't get married.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

3 euro

Am i right..am i right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

I never bought my wife an engagement ring as we never got engaged, we were married a year and a half after we met and are still together and very happily married after 18 years, never saw the point to it. If I win the lotto some day I might buy one retrospectively but it always seemed a huge waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I always thought the amount was 3 months wages.

However my OH has told me if I spend that kind of money on her she'll kill me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

I spent just shy of a months wages during the boom time when it was the norm apparently to spend 3 months wages!!!

Dont so much of a cheapo now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

3 months wages is insane
    Unless you love a particular ring that happens to be that much but still
    jesus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

3 Months wages !! F*ck !! Thats a fair wack o' cash !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭RoboRat

You pay what you are willing to pay, end of.

I was told by a jeweller it was '3 months salary' and I told her to go fcuk herself. Also, I went into another well known Dublin Jeweller, told the lady what I was willing to pay and not to bring anything outside that range and she went and bought a ring twice my budget hoping that I would be embarrassed into paying.

I ended up going to Antwerp and I tell you, its the best decision I made. Wifey got a ring much better than she expected and when I got it appraised it would cost 3 times the amount over here. Stick to only validated jewellers though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

I spent just shy of a months wages during the boom time when it was the norm apparently to spend 3 months wages!!!

Dont so much of a cheapo now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Another reason why weddings are unnecessarily expensive. Starting off married life in huge debt. My love for you doesn't have a price on it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

A pack of Tayto Jonnie Onion Rings will do.

Times are tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

KTRIC wrote: »
    3 Months wages !! F*ck !! Thats a fair wack o' cash !!

Even on minimum wage it's the bones of four grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Mine broke beyond repair last week after wearing it for 17 years. My husband wants to buy me a new one, we'll probably use Diamond factory, it seems very good and you can choose what colour and carat of gold you want as well at the carat of diamond, it shows you as you go exactly what the ring will cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

RoboRat wrote: »
    You pay what you are willing to pay, end of.

I was told by a jeweller it was '3 months salary' and I told her to go fcuk herself. Also, I went into another well known Dublin Jeweller, told the lady what I was willing to pay and not to bring anything outside that range and she went and bought a ring twice my budget hoping that I would be embarrassed into paying.

I ended up going to Antwerp and I tell you, its the best decision I made. Wifey got a ring much better than she expected and when I got it appraised it would cost 3 times the amount over here. Stick to only validated jewellers though.

How do you do that then, did you propose without the ring ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

3 months wages is nonsense.

It was suggested to me at the time - in jest, I might add - and I said that was fine if the wages were those of someone working part time and on the minimum wage.

That said, I ennded up spending what was about 6 weeks wages, which was fine. My Communion money covered most of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

It costs however much you can afford. Anyone getting into debt or spending stupid amounts of money on any aspect of a wedding gets no sympathy from me if they're broke later on. I wouldn't be bothered spending much on the ring, just enough that it will last without tarnishing or breaking- which really doesn't have to be much at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭preston johnny

Engagement ring-Wedding ring-Suffering

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

3 months wages is nonsense.

It was suggested to me at the time - in jest, I might add - and I said that was fine if the wages were those of someone working part time and on the minimum wage.

That said, I ennded up spending what was about 6 weeks wages, which was fine. My Communion money covered most of that.

after tax?!? Please say yes!

jon1981 wrote: »
    after tax?!? Please say yes!

You'll be glad to know it's a yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Friends of mine recently decided to stick the money into their kids college fund and get a fake. I know someone else that tried to sell theirs after a break up and it was valued at one third less than they paid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Potatoeman wrote: »
    =and it was valued at one third less than they paid.

course it was
    http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1982/02/have-you-ever-tried-to-sell-a-diamond/304575/

KTRIC wrote: »

Sometimes people just agree to marry.

I used a piece of tinfoil that I fashioned into a ring though. F*ck that buying a cheapo one for the proposal business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Ninjini

If my OH gave me a ring that cost 3 months wages I would be afraid to wear it for fear of losing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭burnhardlanger

If you have to get into debt to buy an engagement ring, then it should serve as a serious warning flag ;)

To be honest, I couldn't tell the difference between a five figure diamond or a similar bit of cubic zirconia.

Got a token ring for about €20 and proposed with that. Most long term couples I know done that or they agreed to get married and then just got the ring. Glad I done it that way as I would have picked exactly what she wouldn't have wanted as demonstrated by the token ring I bought!!!

I read a great marketing study about the De Beers and how the managed to make the diamond the stone for engagements... took nearly 20 years and a long term marketing strategy.

The irony is that Diamonds are not that rare, they are just withheld from the market to keep the prices artificially high.

What really does piss me off this this eternity ring bull****.

I have put the foot down and said no hope. Maybe for our 50th anniversary I will get something else.

I got my wedding ring online for about €100. Was a bit pissed off though when I came across a ring a few weeks ago that is a combination of asteroid, dinosaur bone and titanium - they are well cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭burnhardlanger

Has anyone bought a synthetic diamond engagement ring? Any recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I'd have no interest in an engagement ring, or even a wedding ring for that matter. I hate wearing rings, I just fidget with them a lot and then lose them. Crazy expensive too for what they are. Myself and the OH don't really have much interest in marriage but I have himself warned anyway that if he does ever get any crazy notions that I'll actually kill him if he buys are ring.

I'd much rather spend the money on a nice holiday or something else awesome. Much better than a boring piece of stone that's gonna get lost because I'm really clumsy anyway.

No offence meant towards people who are into that type of thing, just not my cup of tea.

Advertisement