Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engagement ring

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Engagement rings are a complete marketing racket, it's just a bit of compressed carbon and anyone paying big money for them is being taken for a fool. Same goes for wedding days, complete waste of money and time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭.red.

My wife has a lovely ring, that thing has cost me a lot more than i ever imagined.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

My engagement ring cost 2200 euro five years ago. It's an unusual stone (not the generic round/princess/emerald) wanted a cheaper version of it but my Husband to be insisted. I had it valued last week as my house insurance requires it and it has increased in value to 3823 euros, delighted! Woohoo!

My wedding ring is palladium though. Got it for half nothing as at the time it wasnt popular and had no hallmark. Girl who was making the ring hallmarked it for me and the value has increased to nearly 900 euros. I paid not even 100 for it.

Husbands ring is titanium, he paid 30 for it. Lost it a month later and I replaced it with a tongueston carbonite Lord of the rings ring for 25 euros. Bargain.

Im not one for going mad with money. My own wedding dress was brand new but cost 250 euros as it was "not in season". Didnt look much different from the in season 3000 euro dresses to me??

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭GoldenLight

anncoates wrote: »
    Probably about 10525 smug lectures on materialism from broke students divided by the square root of 12463 people in their 20s volunteering the groundbreaking information that they're never ever going to get married, multiplied by 52368 gaseous lectures about unique weddings on Easter Island with only those you really, really care about.

So €1 or did I miss some zeros :D

What I want to do is use my Mom's engagement ring, and my Dad's wedding band to be melted together, and design a ring like no other ring, I have my own melting down kit, so happy days.

Honestly I think what a couple can afford, after all it is just a symbol of their promise to each other, why should people be in competition with each other to see, whose promise has more material value. ;)

What I would to do is use my Mom's engagement ring, and my Dad's wedding band to be melted together, and design a ring like no other ring, I have my own melting down kit, so happy days.

Honestly I think what a couple can afford, after all it is just a symbol of their promise to each other, why should people be in competition with each other to see, whose promise has more material value. ;)

What if your folks are alive and dont want to give you their wedding rings? No way mine would.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

^^^^

Smacks of trying way too hard

Unlike this tome, I presume.

What I want to do is use my Mom's engagement ring, and my Dad's wedding band to be melted together, and design a ring like no other ring, I have my own melting down kit, so happy days.

Paid about 2k 8 years ago but you're right, it really shouldn't be about price although I once worked with a woman who said (seriously) that anything under 10k would be a insult...

What if your folks are alive and dont want to give you their wedding rings? No way mine would.

Their not and I probably wouldn't do it anyway, it was meant as a nerdie sort of joke comment. Sorry :( (I thought the honestly "statement" after that comment explained that)

Their not and I probably wouldn't do it anyway, it was meant as a nerdie sort of joke comment. Sorry :( (I thought the honestly "statement" after that comment explained that)

Oh I get it....hahaha...hahhhh....ha?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i absolutely love my engagement ring. 3 years later, i am still fascinated by it :o

its not a diamond, which i find are a bit boring and common. i got a coloured stone, which people are always commenting on how beautiful it is.

When i got engaged a few work colleagues asked me when i was getting the real ring. was told that if it wasnt a diamond, i couldnt call it an engagement ring :eek:

MInd you these were the same people who told me i couldnt get married in leopard printed dress or in a pub - idiots

• Advertisement

Oh I get it....hahaha...hahhhh....ha?

I thought the honestly part explained I was joking;), not necessari..... awww shucks why do you care :)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Wftablueboy

Getting married is like betting somebody 50% of everything that you own that you'll love them forever........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 120 ✭✭Chefrio

How much do u reckon the average person spends on an engagement ring ?
    And before anyone says i know its afterhours :D

I was got mine off my mother in law, it was her grandmother's. So zero. :D

I thought the honestly part explained I was joking;), not necessari..... awww shucks why do you care :)

You mean "what do I care" and sure who knows? Only myself.

Chefrio wrote: »
    I was got mine off my mother in law, it was her grandmother's. So zero. :D

The nicest way to get an engagement ring :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I got a custom ring from the usa for 950, I saved for about a year. Hope she says yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

2 months pay, net of tax.

Any less, you're a cheap piece of ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Your wedding ring will be the most expensive thing you'll ever buy, you might as well empty your pockets now on the engagement ring and look like a hero

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Absolute rubbish. I spent alot for someone of my finances and what local jewellers wanted for some rings was unbelievable. I got a stunning ring within my budget so im happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

oldyouth wrote: »
    Your wedding ring will be the most expensive thing you'll ever buy, you might as well empty your pockets now on the engagement ring and look like a hero

I'd say in order it'd be:

House
    Car
    Engagement ring
    TV
    Sofa
    Wedding ring

• Advertisement

Disagree. I paid just over 2k which is nowhere near two months wages and my wife totally agreed. Wasn't a case of not being able to afford anything.

Paid about another 2k for the wedding bands.

More than enough imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

I started saving all my coins in a big drum that used to contain protein shake mix. (20c, 50c, €1, €2 coinsonly)
    Started saving probably around end of summer 2012 (3 months into the relationship)
    Relationship went tits up 6 weeks ago so I opened it to discover almost 6 grand....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Pretentious holier than thou BS.

If you and the girl love each other, you will get a ring that

A) She likes

and

B) You can afford

In that order.

Around a months in my case. She loves it and is delighted with it, always showing it off to people. I dont think she would be doubly/trebly as happy if i paid double or treble.

But hey, who equates love with money...ahem?

House
    Car
    Engagement ring
    TV
    Sofa
    Wedding ring

Sounds about right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Around a months in my case.
    If you can save 1 months pay, you can save 2.

It just takes twice as long.
    I dont think she would be doubly/trebly as happy if i paid double or treble.

Sure, of course not.

If you can save 1 months pay, you can save 2.

It just takes twice as long.
    Course not.

Anyone wishing to p1ss unnecessary money away belongs in an Ireland of 10 years ago. Im sure your missus is twice/three times as happy; its your money.

Meantime ill sleep ok
    Course not.

Maybe if i spent 10 times, shed be 10 times as happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

House
    Car
    Engagement ring
    TV
    Sofa
    Wedding ring

Where the hell are you getting your sofa's? A decent sofa would be significantly more than a TV

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Where the hell are you getting your sofa's? A decent sofa would be significantly more than a TV

Depends on the TV I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Me?

Argos. 9.99. Recently overheard 2 scobes.discussing the purchase of a bellybar for their burds.The reward was going be a good shag and if they got a pair of earrings the'd be getting sucked off for the week. Total cost 29.99.
    Mad if you spend 3 months salary on a girl when there are less materialistic girls out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Xidu

€5,800

Advertisement