Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Championship 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Sky will get the same amount of games next year and the year after as they got this year - tis a 3 year deal.

Is it true that theyll be getting better games next year, like more Sunday ones and maybe even semifinals

• Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Is it true that theyll be getting better games next year, like more Sunday ones and maybe even semifinals

They have all the semi finals and All Ireland final already, as part of this deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

They have all the semi finals and All Ireland final already, as part of this deal.

I hadnt heard that thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

RTE will have these as well though.

10 teams left - 5 from Division 1 and 5 from Division 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

naughto wrote: »
    There is at a price that I will not pay,how many games will sky get next yr,any ways there is plenty of streams on line.the Sligo vrs cork game was piss poor

You are aware that the reason for all those streams is because of the games being on Sky ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

keane2097 wrote: »
    Seems again to fall into the trap that the only "big days" Mayo ever have are the days they lose. Galway played well in losing to Cork and because they are crap that's somehow more creditable than destroying the reigning All Ireland Champions, comfortably disposing of a Tyrone team that started like Tasmanian Devils and losing by a whisker to a team people in this very thread have described (and not without a leg to stand on) as the greatest football team of all time in Croke Park.

Yes, and if you want me to state it again just in case you missed it the first time - I do NOT agree with that commonly held opinion. I argued this on here last year also..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Too many instances popping up of refs not giving a black card when necessary. Are too many refs not brave enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭harpsman

Squatman wrote: »
    Yea, Dublin look a bit upstopable, but no everything can be predicted. I would'nt be at all surprised if sligo beat Cork. I think if its the cork that turned up against kerry, then sligo can take it.
    We have to keep in mind too that Kerry only just beat Clare before the cork match. and I never remember Clare being a football stronghold. Plus iirc clare had a man sent off...
    Meh-in '11 Mayo were lucky to beat London, the following year they only scraped past Sligo in a terrible game, this year they only beat Roscommon by a point, and they went on to do fairly well in the championship of those years. In 09 Kerry should have been beaten at home by Sligo and went on to win AI, absolutely destroying dublin on the way.Point is dont read too much into early season games,particularly away from home, they dont mean much, lots of examples of teams scraping past "minnows" early on and going on to do very well.

BTW Clare are a decent enough outfit-probably should be playin Monaghan next week for a place in qf

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Yeah I was only nine or ten at the time in 01 but I can still remember everyone thinking the final was a foregone conclusion and there was no way we could lose.

Yes people are talking about monaghan or donegal being able to stop the dubs but I'm not so sure about that either. Fact is neither are really that much better than meath and look what happened us last weekend. The only difference being meath set up to play Dublin and got annihilated. Monaghan/Donegal will try to foil Dublin and make it hard for them but ultimately won't be good enough.
    Well Donegal were all ireland champions less than 2 years ago so I think they could claim to be a good bit better than Meath. Sure, they might be well short of the level they were at in '12 but who knows-they might get closer to that level as the season goes on.

Having said that if we do meet dublin I think we have virtually no chance of beating them and would do pretty well to be close with 15 minutes to go.

• Advertisement

corny wrote: »
    That talk bugs me. People said it last year before the final with Dublin, last chance saloon and all that jazz. Its nonsense. Under Horan Mayo have proven (yes proven) they're an incredibly hard working and consistent side. The final in 2012 didn't change that, the final in 2013 didn't change that but somehow a final in 2014 will? What is it third strike and you're out?

If Horan were to leave you may have a point but if he stays they'll be consistent again next year.
    Why does it bug you so much?- sport tends to go in cycles where a team comes along, does well for a few years and then go off the boil as another team comes along and surpasses them. This is particularly true in a sport like gaeic football, where amateur teams have to put a huge level of committment in to reach and stay at the top. Now some teams do stay at the top longer than others but these teams are usually 1)exceptional- eg Kerry 04-09 or 2)have an assembly line of new young players to replace older or out of form players,or 3) both the above like Kilkenny 00- .

I wouldnt have Mayo in either of these categories. Now given that they have a handy path to qf they may well be near the top for another while, but its possible that they may not, hence I cant see why this opinion "bugs" you so much.

aveytare wrote: »
    Weirdly enough this was one of my recommended videos on youtube today (the last ten minutes of the Dublin v Mayo semi-final) and there wasn't that much cynical fouling. I'm neutral so don't have any axe to grind; I was just surprised because I remember Brolly going on about Mayo systematically targeting Dublin which to my eyes doesn't really seem like the case. Definitely not among the worst I've seen anyway.
    Ah now there were alot of fouls that would warrant a black card today in the last 10 of that game.

But there is only so much to can ask of guys, and getting to finals and not winning hastens the day that guys will just have to take a break, same goes for the management team.

The only team that I can think of that kept coming back and back were Cork 05 to 10.
    They lost 3 Semi Finals and 2 Finals, all to Kerry if I'm not mistaken, before they won one.

And in the one they won they did not face Kerry at all in the AI series, and in the final beat a team no one expected to be in the final.

I'm not sure how different the 10 was from the 05 team however.
    Suppose Dublin 02-05, and like cork when they did get there they fell over the line against a poor side. Also like Cork, people thought they would go on to dominate for a few years but both teams completely fell away and never came close to winning another all ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

harpsman wrote: »
    Suppose Dublin 02-05, and like cork when they did get there they fell over the line against a poor side. Also like Cork, people thought they would go on to dominate for a few years but both teams completely fell away and never came close to winning another all ireland.

Anyone who thought a team managed by Conor Counihan would dominate should be shot from a canon for crimes against common sense.

Syferus wrote: »
    Anyone who thought a team managed by Conor Counihan would dominate should be shot from a canon for crimes against common sense.
    Well lots of people did, and I was at the league final in 2011 when they outscored Dublin by 11 points to 2 in the last 20 minutes-was a very impressive display. Think its a bit wise after the event to say " Anyone who thought a team managed by Conor Counihan would dominate should be shot from a canon for crimes againstcommon sense" now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Mayo surprised Cork 3 years ago. Mayo then bowed out to Kerry in a semi-final but showed they would be competing for All-Irelands. Mayo v Cork quarter-final will be interesting. Expectation on Mayo to make the final Cork are in a position to get revenge. Kerry and Galway had a high scoring shootout in 08. Quarter-finals can be a struggle for Munster winners due to the gap. It seems a more clearer game to call but you never know though. The favourites don't always win. In saying that, Kerry should be able to deal with the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Well lots of people did, and I was at the league final in 2011 when they outscored Dublin by 11 points to 2 in the last 20 minutes-was a very impressive display. Think its a bit wise after the event to say " Anyone who thought a team managed by Conor Counihan would dominate should be shot from a canon for crimes againstcommon sense" now.

I was saying it back then too. Even the manner of their sole AI win and the team's age profile then told you they weren't going to 'dominate'.

Syferus wrote: »
    I was saying it back then too. Even the manner of their sole AI win and the team's age profile then told you they weren't going to 'dominate'.
    Well good for you-i never said you thought they would dominate:) In fairness dominate probably the wrong word,should have said be contending for a few years, whereas in reality theyve been well off the pace since. Age profile wasnt bad-lots of good young forwards, and Aidan Walsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Well good for you-i never said you thought they would dominate:) In fairness dominate probably the wrong word,should have said be contending for a few years, whereas in reality theyve been well off the pace since. Age profile wasnt bad-lots of good young forwards, and Aidan Walsh.

Walsh has been a massive let down for me in recent years. Doesn't seem to have kicked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Walsh has been a massive let down for me in recent years. Doesn't seem to have kicked on.

• Advertisement

Needs to pick a sport and concentrate 100% on it.

The notion that anyone can be a top-level player in both codes is just crazy.

You could get away with it somewhat when GAA was more amateur and back in the stone-age as regards fitness and conditioning but nowadays when proper fitness is just a basic prerequisite, it's lunacy to even try.

It's not a question of not kicking on - he looks to have regressed as a footballer.

Considering he was motm in 2010 aif and looked good in '12. Like alot of Cork footballers there seems to be a bit of mental frailty and lack of confidence there- must be something to do with being 2nd class citizens compared to the hurlers, cos lack of self confidence is not something u normally associate w Cork people!!

Wrt to the duel thing it cant help tho id say it would be more detrimental to his hurling than football, even if he is playing better with hurlers.

Wrt to the duel thing it cant help tho id say it would be more detrimental to his hurling than football, even if he is playing better with hurlers.

The timing of his jumping seemed off last night, his kicking is very inconsistent and his decision making looked a bit suspect last night, so I'm not sure if it is his hurling which is being most affected.

I think the legend of Teddy Mac and his winning of medals for Sam and Liam in the same year is what has kept the notion of dual alive in Cork this long (its amazing how often and how quickly he has come up in the conversations I've had with Cork folk about dualism) The idea of repeating his feat might be very attractive to a player's ego but I really think when it comes to the dual player - "no one can serve two masters"

As a Kerryman I'm delighted he's trying the dual nonsense and even more pleased Cadogan and Cahillane are wasting their time at the same nonsense.

Four provincial winners left.

Since 2011 only one provincial champ has lost a QF.

Goes to show that the real contenders take the provincial championship seriously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

More likely that the qualifiers leave everyone else knackered.

Nope.
    Winning the province means
    A. You avoid the other big guns.
    B. You know your own scheduled thus can prepare better.

A fees years ago their was a tendency to use the qualifier to hone your game.
    But the game has come on a lot in the past few years so preparation is key, and a month long jaunt around the country for qualifiers is now a recipe for getting ambushed

Actually that observation makes my point.
    Contenders don't want to get knackered in the qualifiers

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Probably is just as much to do with the lack of competition in the provinces as teams actually targeting provincial titles. The last few years we only really had 1 team each in Connaught and Leinster and the usual 2 in Munster. I suppose Monaghan, Tyrone and Armagh came through the back door to Q/F's but they really wouldn't have been serious contenders, Q-F/S-F's their level.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Where's the best place to get tickets where I can select the seats? Have checked ticketmaster and tickets.ie but they're not great seats. I'm looking for 2 tickets for either Hogan or Cusack. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If you are in Dublin, the ticket office on Dorset St lets you select your seats. But there are no guarantees that you will be able to get better ones than are available online. It can be hard to get really great seats online, especially for the really big games that there is a lot of demand for. Most of the really good Lr Hogan and Lr Cusack seats are sent to the competing counties to be distributed amongst the clubs, or are kept for season ticket holders.

Advertisement