Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Championship 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Dublin Kerry final in my opinion

With the Dubs game at the moment i cant see a blanket defence stopping them.
    Monaghan would be a welcome challenge to get them battle hardened for the semi final but this Dublin team is far superior to the one in 2011/2012.
    Dublins running game/quick passing/forwards can all shoot from distance. It will require everyone to bring there A-game, but 1/4 finals must be one first and we'll go from there.

Kerry i think will have to much for Mayo on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

K-9 wrote: »
    Don't think it works like that, on the B side the only there will be an open draw if if both Kildare and Armagh win. Any other permutation is predetermined by either Donegal or Dublin already playing a county.

Same with the other side, Sligo and Tipp both have to win to have a draw.

So there's only 2 chances of an open draw on either side, the A side realistically the most unlikely.

All clarified on GAA website

Sunday, August 3
    All-Ireland Senior Football Championship Quarter-Finals
    Kerry v Round 4A Winner, Croke Park, 2pm* - Live on RTÉ
    Mayo v Round 4A Winner, Croke Park, 4pm*- Live on RTÉ

* If either/both Galway or Cork win their Rd 4a games, there will not require to be a quarter final draw as Kerry cannot meet Cork again at this stage and Mayo cannot meet Galway. If neither win, there will be a draw to determine which of the Rd 4a winners (Sligo, Tipperary) play which of the Provincial Champions in the All Ireland Quarter Finals.
    Saturday, August 9
    All-Ireland Senior Football Championship Quarter-Finals
    Donegal v Round 4B Winner, Croke Park, 4pm* - Live on Sky Sports
    Dublin v Round 4B Winner, Croke Park, 6pm* - Live on Sky Sports

*If either/both Meath or Monaghan win their Rd 4b games, there will not require to be a quarter final draw as Donegal cannot meet Monaghan again at this stage and Dublin cannot meet Meath. If neither win, there will be a draw to determine which of the Rd 4b winners (Armagh, Kildare) play which of the Provincial Champions in the All Ireland Quarter Finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭corny

Agree the semi will most likely be Kerry V Mayo, Dublin V Donegal.

Kerry V Mayo, should it happen will, would be a great game. Mayo will probably start favourites but if Kerry peak like they did last year for the semi i think they'll win.

Dublin will deal with Donegal more easily than people might think. If they go like they did in 2011 against Dublin they might succeed in keeping it tight but i still can't see them winning.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mayo minors on at 12 on the same day, going to be a long long day on the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

yop wrote: »
    Mayo minors on at 12 on the same day, going to be a long long day on the road!

Could be worse - ye get minors and seniors on the same day ; all the only provincial winners have minors and seniors on different days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Squatman

corny wrote: »
    Agree the semi will most likely be Kerry V Mayo, Dublin V Donegal.

Kerry V Mayo, should it happen will, would be a great game. Mayo will probably start favourites but if Kerry peak like they did last year for the semi i think they'll win.

Dublin will deal with Donegal more easily than people might think. If they go 'full retard' like they did in 2011 against Dublin they might succeed in keeping it tight but i still can't see them winning.

Very interesting perspective. I think you are right, about the dublin donegal. I think donegal are still "has-beens" and will be dispensed with accordingly.

Mayo vs Kerry will be a tough decider. IMO Mayo have yet to peak, I think Horan has a peaking strategy in place to continually improve game after game (whereas last year, we peaked against Donegal, had a poor game against tyrone, and similar against dublin.)
    Who from the Kerry team do you think will cause upset for Mayo. (I think Cork were an exceptionally poor team this year, and Kerry could have fluffed it against Clare - who happened to have a player sent off iirc)

From a mayo side, i think their forward options (o Connor, Dillon, moran, would all make top 10 in country) having good subs too. the o sheas, possibly gavin duffy. Keith higgins, barry moran. all exceptonal players

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Squatman wrote: »
    Very interesting perspective. I think you are right, about the dublin donegal. I think donegal are still "has-beens" and will be dispensed with accordingly.

Mayo vs Kerry will be a tough decider. IMO Mayo have yet to peak, I think Horan has a peaking strategy in place to continually improve game after game (whereas last year, we peaked against Donegal, had a poor game against tyrone, and similar against dublin.)
    Who from the Kerry team do you think will cause upset for Mayo. (I think Cork were an exceptionally poor team this year, and Kerry could have fluffed it against Clare - who happened to have a player sent off iirc)

From a mayo side, i think their forward options (o Connor, Dillon, moran, would all make top 10 in country) having good subs too. the o sheas, possibly gavin duffy. Keith higgins, barry moran. all exceptonal players

Gavin Duffy didn't make the Connacht final day squad, he is far from exceptional. Dillon and Moran are in their final year so would struggle to make the top 5 teams, but maybe the next 5.
    Mayo will as you said either begin to peak against Cork and Kerry or be pushed out the door, this is the 4th year of it now with 2 disappointing AI final losses.

Would love to see the Dubs play Donegal in Clones. After watching both finals yesterday, it would be fascinating to see what would happen.

Dublin will beat everyone in Croker, and AI is in the bag as far as Im concerned

You think being in Dublin makes that big a difference? Knowing the stadium as well as Dublin do gives them an edge along with the home crowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Squatman

You think being in Dublin makes that big a difference? Knowing the stadium as well as Dublin do gives them an edge along with the home crowd?

Yea, i expect playing in your own town would make a savage difference alright.
    For the likes of mayo donegal etc. you have a good 3 + hours on a bus, staying in a hotel, and are completely taken out of your routine. So i do think it would negatively impact the visiting team!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Dubliner28 wrote: »

Kerry i think will have to much for Mayo on the other side.

Based on what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Based on what?

1 game probably. Loving calling Donegal has beens as well. I suppose when you are in a competitive province it's easy to forget how easy other provincial winners have it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Would love to see the Dubs play Donegal in Clones.

Now THAT would be fantastic to see

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Dublin will beat everyone in Croker, and AI is in the bag as far as Im concerned

They's probably beat everyone in Clones, Thurles, Carrick-on-Shannon, Portlaoise, Ruislip....

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Al Monds

My money is on the giant killers, Sligo.

I would love a Kerry-Mayo semi. Mayo probably have a better side than Kerry but with Mayo in Croke Park anything can happen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

thelad95 wrote: »
    I would love a Kerry-Mayo semi. Mayo probably have a better side than Kerry but with Mayo in Croke Park anything can happen!!

Eh? It's amazing how people can mistake Mayo's habit of fluffing their lines in finals with the fact they must win multiple matches in Croke Park to get that privilege.

What's the craic if the round 4 qualifiers require a replay?

What's the craic if the round 4 qualifiers require a replay?

Then there will be a replay!!

Then there will be a replay!!

I meant regarding the Quarter finals scheduled for the following weekend.

Should have made it clear, sorry.

I meant regarding the Quarter finals scheduled for the following weekend.

Should have made it clear, sorry.

They'll figure something out I'm sure but the whole football calendar feels very cramped with the football qualifier split.

• Advertisement

They'll figure something out I'm sure but the whole football calendar feels very cramped with the football qualifier split.

I'm sure they will but the question remains.....

I'm sure they will but the question remains.....

I'm not sure what your question is to be honest. My guess would be their will probably be a replay at the same ground the following weekend..

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

I think the replay will be the following weekend and the quarter final the weekend after that. So everything gets pushed back one weekend.

I might be wrong of course and no doubt someone more knowledgeable than me will correct me

Hibbeler wrote: »
    I think the replay will be the following weekend and the quarter final the weekend after that. So everything gets pushed back one weekend.

I might be wrong of course and no doubt someone more knowledgeable than me will correct me

Double header with the hurling on the sunday perhaps.

Double header with the hurling on the sunday perhaps.

There's already a minor game but in this situation in the past, they've put the minor game on at 12.00, the QF on at 14.00 and the hurling on at 16.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

Syferus wrote: »
    Eh? It's amazing how people can mistake Mayo's habit of fluffing their lines in finals with the fact they must win multiple matches in Croke Park to get that privilege.

Fact. Talked to several Galway supporters who have stated that, in comparison to Mayo, Galway teams are always well able for Croker, despite the fact that their team hasn't won a championship game in Croker since 01.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Fact. Talked to several Galway supporters who have stated that, in comparison to Mayo, Galway teams are always well able for Croker, despite the fact that their team hasn't won a championship game in Croker since 01.

Interesting analysis, not sure how they come to that conclusion though, do you ?

Statistically Mayo (5-3) have a better record than both Cork (1-3) and Kerry (3-3) in Croke Park since 2011, and none of them have won anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

Donegal will shellshock Dublin and go through if they meet. But will lose to mayo if they meet after.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Donegal will shellshock Dublin and go through if they meet. But will lose to mayo if they meet after.

Donegal won't beat Dublin.

I'd fancy Mayo or Kerry ahead of Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Donegal won't beat Dublin.

I'd fancy Mayo or Kerry ahead of Donegal.

It will be ugly and gritty, but i think they have enough to get the best of dublin by frustrating them and holding on to the ball and rack up a few free's.

Advertisement