Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Championship 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I think Dublin are equipped to deal with every eventuality.

You want to go open football, high scoring etc. (a la Kerry last year) they will beat you.
    You want to turn it into a dour scrap, with packed defences, they will beat you at that as well.

They have an exception mix of Footballers, tough Men, fast men, intelligent playmakers.

You need to be at your best, hope that Dublin are having an off day and even then have a bit of luck to beat them.

Most likely they will have to beat Monaghan, Donegal and then Kerry/Mayo to win the All Ireland this year. They are 3 tough games whatever way you put it, but if any team can do it the Dubs can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

keane2097 wrote: »
    In fairness I think if it came to a scrap Dublin would beat everyone on that front as well!

It wont be an all out scrap. Yesterday it was sly digs and off the ball stuff. Donegal were at it too but no one on the Monaghan team had a jersey caked in their own blood.

Monaghan are big and physical, its an integral part of their game. So even without the off the ball stuff its heavy hitting. Dublin should be able for it to a certain extent, they wont be bullied, but its a hard thing to deal with for 70+ minutes.

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    If Kildare and Armagh both win its an open draw. If one of either Monaghan/Meath win they cannot play the team that beats them in the final. The are assuming Monaghan will be Kildare.

Fully agree that Dublin's playstyle is tailored to counter a mass defence though. Half forwards can shoot for 45 half backs coming forward. Dublin attack and defend as a team.
    I would love to see how a defence approach would catch Dublin on the counter if ball was turned over. Serious pace in the Dublin team.
    Agree can only see Kerry or Donegal troubling Dublin
    Don't think so, there is no chance of an open draw.

Its the Winners of Munster (Kerry) vs Losers of Connacht or the team that beats them (Galway/Tipp)
    Winners of Connacht (Mayo) vs Losers of Munster or the team that beats them (Cork/Sligo)
    Winners of Leinster (Dublin) vs Losers of Ulster or the team that beats them (Monaghan/Kildare)
    Winners of Ulster (Donegal) vs Losers of Leinster or the team that beats them (Meath/Armagh)

12 teams left.

3 Munster (Kerry, Cork, Tipp)
    3 Connacht (Mayo, Galway, Sligo)
    3 Leinster (Dublin, Meath, Kildare)
    3 Ulster (Donegal, Monaghan, Armagh)

Pretty impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Don't think so, there is no chance of an open draw.

Its the Winners of Munster (Kerry) vs Losers of Connacht or the team that beats them (Galway/Tipp)
    Winners of Connacht (Mayo) vs Losers of Munster or the team that beats them (Cork/Sligo)
    Winners of Leinster (Dublin) vs Losers of Ulster or the team that beats them (Monaghan/Kildare)
    Winners of Ulster (Donegal) vs Losers of Leinster or the team that beats them (Meath/Armagh)

Ok - I guess this makes sense - they have tried to avoid the issue by having Provincial winners play provincial final losers from opposing provinces/qualifiers.

Not that I doubt you, but was this discussed or posted anywhere previously?

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Ok - I guess this makes sense - they have tried to avoid the issue by having Provincial winners play provincial final losers from opposing provinces/qualifiers.

Not that I doubt you, but was this discussed or posted anywhere previously?
    I can't find where exactly I saw this but I am 99.999% certain that this is the case.

I'll keep searching for confirmation but I've read it in numerous places this year.

EDIT: Actually despite my certainty, I may be wrong. Just found an Irish Independent article suggesting that a draw would take place in the situation where both provincial finalists were beaten.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/kerry-sitting-pretty-as-new-qualifier-system-wobbles-30434952.html

Martin Breheny doesn't seem certain on how it works either though.

• Advertisement

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I can't find where exactly I saw this but I am 99.999% certain that this is the case.

I'll keep searching for confirmation but I've read it in numerous places this year.

In fairness to the Sunday Game, you would think they would be sure of themselves before thorwing it up on screen - it's not like Des just blurted it out or anything.

No harm at all to Meath or Kildare, but Donegal v Armagh and Dublin v Monaghan would be two fascinating games. The first for historical reasons, the second for a contrast in styles.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

So we still aren't sure when each of the QF's will take place?

yop wrote: »

No, that much is clear.

Kerry v Qualifier and Mayo v Qualifier is the August Bank Holiday weekend.
    Dublin v Qualifier and Donegal v Qualifier is Saturday 9th of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The ones involving Dublin and Donegal will take place on the 9th.

The ones involving Mayo and Kerry may take place on any of 2nd, 3rd or even 4th
    And it's no guarantee that they will be on the same day, they may be mixed with Rnd 4 B qualifiers

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The ones involving Dublin and Donegal will take place on the 9th.

The ones involving Mayo and Kerry may take place on any of 2nd, 3rd or even 4th
    And it's no guarantee that they will be on the same day, they may be mixed with Rnd 4 B qualifiers

Thanks lads, ya I understood they were on that weekend but you would think they could nail it down a bit better, hard to organise work/holidays everything else when its a throw up on 3 dates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

What are you on about?
    He's making reference to the non-handshake thing that happened.
    Team lineup handshakes was predicted would start creating media stories about non-handshakes.
    They should scrap it immediately btw. It's just going to lead to more and more of these non-handshakes stories for various reasons:
    - something said in media/on pitch
    - previously injuring a player
    - trying to get inside players head
    - Verbals as the players walk by

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Squatman

He's making reference to the non-handshake thing that happened.
    Team lineup handshakes was predicted would start creating media stories about non-handshakes.
    They should scrap it immediately btw. It's just going to lead to more and more of these non-handshakes stories for various reasons:
    - something said in media/on pitch
    - previously injuring a player
    - trying to get inside players head
    - Verbals as the players walk by

Yea, +1 on this, players shuoldnt have respect for their opponents before the match. They should hate their opponent - (not saying they should bite them or anything!):o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

Squatman wrote: »

Then you'd know Connelly wasn't involved at the time, he was sitting on the bench.

Your going to talk sh1t have the facts cheers thanks!

whats with the needless/mindless aggression?
    i read an article that said it was him that did it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

Squatman wrote: »
    whats with the needless/mindless aggression?
    i read an article that said it was him that did it!

No the article in the final paragraph refers to him not shaking hands at the start of the game, not biting anybody.
    I'm assuming when you say Suarez you are talking of a bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Probably not the correct place to post this but might have the audience that can answer it for me:

Looking to go to the qualifier double header in Tullamore on Saturday but not part of any of the counties involved. Where can I get tickets for this or would I be able to get them at the gate on the day?

Thanks.

Padkir wrote: »
    Probably not the correct place to post this but might have the audience that can answer it for me:

Looking to go to the qualifier double header in Tullamore on Saturday but not part of any of the counties involved. Where can I get tickets for this or would I be able to get them at the gate on the day?

Thanks.

Your right it isn't..... go somewhere else ;)

I'd say try Super Valu? They were selling tickets here for all rounds of the Connacht championship

Padkir wrote: »

Thanks.
    https://secure.tickets.ie/Listing/EventInformation/19721/gaa-football-all-ireland-qualifiers-rd-4a-cork-v-sli--gal-v-tipp-oconnor-park-tullamore-26-July-2014

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭snowgal

Thanks lads, ya I understood they were on that weekend but you would think they could nail it down a bit better, hard to organise work/holidays everything else when its a throw up on 3 dates.

jeez its abit messy! Does that not mean then, that whoever wins between ourselves ( An Mhi) and Armagh will then actually only have a 6 day turnaround to meet Donegal? I thought this was designed to give 2 week breaks where possible.....and the same for the A side round 4 winners too. I suppose its not as bad when youre coming from a win to do the 6 days though, like Wexford in the hurling...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Upcoming QF and Rnd4 Fixtures confirmed

All-Ireland Senior Football Championship Round 4B Qualifiers
    Meath v Armagh, Croke Park, 5pm - Live on Sky Sports
    Kildare v Monaghan, Croke Park, 7pm - Live on Sky Sports

Sunday, August 3
    All-Ireland Senior Football Championship Quarter-Finals
    Kerry v Round 4A Winner, Croke Park, 2pm* - Live on RTÉ
    Mayo v Round 4A Winner, Croke Park, 4pm*- Live on RTÉ

Donegal v Round 4B Winner, Croke Park, 4pm* - Live on Sky Sports
    Dublin v Round 4B Winner, Croke Park, 6pm* - Live on Sky Sports

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Donegal aren't on Mayos side of the draw I think? Mayo will be playing either Cork or Sligo and then Kerry if they come through.

Donegal impressed plenty yesterday, without McFadden and Murphy they were still well ahead of Monaghan.

Indeed, Donegal were efficient yesterday, played a possession game with very little long balls, suited the runs from midfield and the backs. I'm sure if needs be McGuinness will change tactics and put Murphy further in. That also explains to an extent McFaddens poor form, Murphy often isn't there for him to win ball and lay it off.

I'd have to fancy a Kerry vs. Mayo and Dublin vs. Donegal S/F. Head says a repeat of last years AI, heart says Donegal Kerry. Things will need to go Donegals way but they are set up to give this Dublin team some serious questions to answer.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Ok, so there will be a draw for the Quarter Finals unless Cork, Galway, Meath and Monaghan win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭snowgal

Upcoming QF and Rnd4 Fixtures confirmed
    SATURDAY 2nd august
    All-Ireland Senior Football Championship Round 4B Qualifiers
    Meath v Armagh, Croke Park, 5pm - Live on Sky Sports
    Kildare v Monaghan, Croke Park, 7pm - Live on Sky Sports

Sunday, August 3
    Kerry v Round 4A Winner, Croke Park, 2pm* - Live on RTÉ
    Mayo v Round 4A Winner, Croke Park, 4pm*- Live on RTÉ

Saturday 9th August
    Donegal v Round 4B Winner, Croke Park, 4pm* - Live on Sky Sports
    Dublin v Round 4B Winner, Croke Park, 6pm* - Live on Sky Sports

just added dates

snowgal wrote: »
    jeez its abit messy! Does that not mean then, that whoever wins between ourselves ( An Mhi) and Armagh will then actually only have a 6 day turnaround to meet Donegal? I thought this was designed to give 2 week breaks where possible.....and the same for the A side round 4 winners too. I suppose its not as bad when youre coming from a win to do the 6 days though, like Wexford in the hurling...

The two week break was only for the provincial final losers for Round 4 as far as I know.

snowgal wrote: »

It was only really designed to give provincial final losers a 2 week break, will be interesting to see if it makes any difference. I'm sure both teams yesterday will be glad of the extra week. Tough going on Armagh especially, this their 7th match?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Ok, so there will be a draw for the Quarter Finals unless Cork, Galway, Meath and Monaghan win.

Don't think it works like that, on the B side the only there will be an open draw if if both Kildare and Armagh win. Any other permutation is predetermined by either Donegal or Dublin already playing a county.

Same with the other side, Sligo and Tipp both have to win to have a draw.

So there's only 2 chances of an open draw on either side, the A side realistically the most unlikely.

K-9 wrote: »
    Don't think it works like that, on the B side the only there will be an open draw if if both Kildare and Armagh win. Any other permutation is predetermined by either Donegal or Dublin already playing a county.

Same with the other side, Sligo and Tipp both have to win to have a draw.

So there's only 2 chances of an open draw on either side, the A side realistically the most unlikely.

I know - I didn't mean that all had to win, just any one team from above on either side.

K-9 wrote: »
    Indeed, Donegal were efficient yesterday, played a possession game with very little long balls, suited the runs from midfield and the backs. I'm sure if needs be McGuinness will change tactics and put Murphy further in. That also explains to an extent McFaddens poor form, Murphy often isn't there for him to win ball and lay it off.

I'd have to fancy a Kerry vs. Mayo and Dublin vs. Donegal S/F. Head says a repeat of last years AI, heart says Donegal Kerry. Things will need to go Donegals way but they are set up to give this Dublin team some serious questions to answer.

IF Dublin dispose of Donegal then they deserve to go on and win the AI, Donegal will frustrate the hell out of them both on and off the ball.
    I can't see Mayo or Kerry having enough in the full squad to withhold Dublin for the full 70+ minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Would love to see the Dubs play Donegal in Clones. After watching both finals yesterday, it would be fascinating to see what would happen.

Dublin will beat everyone in Croker, and AI is in the bag as far as Im concerned

Advertisement