Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Superthread] Mayweather vs Pacman **NO STREAMING REQUESTS**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

cowzerp wrote: »
    There was 2 of them in it avoiding the fight as they were getting guaranteed big pay days that could have been hindered by a loss, while both could stake a claim as been the best both would sell big, Floyd will destroy Manny now just like he would have back then, Manny doesn't deal with counter punchers and Floyd is the best, He made Marquez look like a novice and Marquez always troubled Manny

This will be a mid round KO for Floyd, mark my words.

Triangle theories?

How about Manny pulverising Cotto? Or knocking Hatton out in two rounds?

Triangle theories are a nonsense in boxing.

Anyway, Marquez doesnt fight like Floyd at all. The only comparison is that they're counterpunchers and there's a bit more to it than that.

As for Floyd making Marquez look awful, when isn't that the case when one counterpuncher has the edge on another?

Look at what Lara did to Trout? Made him look utterly pathetic, yet Trout arguably did the better of the two against Canelo, and is clearly nowhere near as far off the level of Lara as it looked that night.

I think this fight is close to dead even at this point. Floyd has the edge, but it's not that much of an edge at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

walshb wrote: »
    Yes, but Marquez is an offensive fighting counter puncher. Floyd is not. I think Floyd will win, and a KO would not surprise me, but I reckon it's stinker of a fight, and probably close because of the fact that not much scoring will happen.

Edit: I would be a little surprised with KO win.

Even if Floyd's on top he won't take the risks necessary to score a ko.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,183 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Henno30 wrote: »
    Even if Floyd's on top he won't take the risks necessary to score a ko.

Unless Pac falls on top of a perfectly thrown forward hitting right hand. Similar to the Marquez KO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Floyd is a pillow puncher like Bradley. He's knocking out nobody.

• Advertisement

Ask Hatton

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Floyd is a bigger hitter than Marquez

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

But it's the type of shot he could land if Manny gets careless and falls in. Floyd isn't a naturally heavy handed fighter, but nor was/is JMM. If the stars align and Floyd deliverers an intentful (is that a word?) right hand counter with some body behind it, with Manny making the mistake of falling onto it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Floyd isn't feather fisted at all, that's a silly comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

24/7 has more or less run its course anyway, was getting predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

efb wrote: »
    Ask Hatton

Did you even watch the Hatton Mayweather fight? The turnbuckle finished Hatton. He went headfirst into it. The "slap" that Mayweather called a hook before that happened wouldn't knock out anybody. Mayweather isn't a power puncher. It's just not his thing.
    Unless Pac falls on top of a perfectly thrown forward hitting right hand. Similar to the Marquez KO.

I think it's worth remembering that Pac was winning that Marquez fight. He was up on points and with ten seconds left in the round, let the crowd get to him and lunged in trying to score a knockout. He's done it before.

The real issue here is that Marquez has real power in his counters. Mayweather doesn't. This has a Mayweather points win written all over it. Betting on a Mayweather KO is wasting your money. It simply wont happen.

PBF can punch when he really sits down, but not all that heavy. He won't be sitting down on his shots vs. Manny, as there will be distance between them the whole fight. Floyd's shots will be from range. Swipes and sharp shooting singles. I don't think he will be unloading against Manny. Even vs. Guerrero his shots were more swiping than forceful. His shots vs. Maidana, well, the less said the better. I would say Floyd gets a 6.5/10 for power. He seems so preoccupied with defense that his offense suffers.

boxer.fan wrote: »
    24/7 has more or less run its course anyway, was getting predictable.

Ridiculously so. Same old nonsense every episode with Floyd and his crass money talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

All I'm saying is the only one who could be getting knocked out will be Floyd which won't happen as he has a great chin. Floyd couldn't finish guys who weren't half as good at taking a punch as manny. Marquez p4p has probably more power than Floyd, he's just a lot smaller than floyd

All I'm saying is the only one who could be getting knocked out will be Floyd which won't happen as he has a great chin. Floyd couldn't finish guys who weren't half as good at taking a punch as manny. Marquez p4p has probably more power than Floyd, he's just a lot smaller than floyd

Floyd looked quite hurt and wobbled when Maidana nailed him in fight 2 at the end of the 4th. And that wasn't all that great a shot. Anyway, I see Manny landing very few power type shots. Floyd has a good chin, but it's more his defenses and ability to ride a shot that stands to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Kirby wrote: »
    Did you even watch the Hatton Mayweather fight? The turnbuckle finished Hatton. He went headfirst into it. The "slap" that Mayweather called a hook before that happened wouldn't knock out anybody. Mayweather isn't a power puncher. It's just not his thing.

You're talking through your bum here now. The Left hook did the damage, anyone saying otherwise is delusional.

You said that before and you were as wrong then as you are now. First of all, it isn't WWE wrestling where fellas are getting their heads hopped off the turnbuckle. The turnbuckles in boxing rings are heavily padded. You're codding yourself if you think stumbling the crown of your head into a pad is going to knock someone out.

Second of all, the check hook was a sharp counter that banged Hatton clean in the jaw. You can watch it for yourself here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D07BhmI-d1g

Hatton's KO was a mix of many things, including frustration and faitgue.

Regardless of how annoyed he was, I think the clincher was still him getting punched in the jaw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Lads, hate Floyd all you want, he's not a very likeable person that's obvious, but for the love of jebus stop the nonsense and recognise that he is the best pound for pound of his generation and he's not some Kenny Egan-esque slapper who feathers peoples faces with his gloves.

There's a reason he breaks his hand in so often in fights, the man can throw a punch. Just because he's not a GGG style knockout artist doesn't mean he's a weak puncher. Some people are blinded by their dislike of him.

Also, he'll beat Manny on a pretty convincing points decision in my opinion. 5 years ago it would have been a different story but I don't see any other outcome this May.

I think it's worth remembering that Pac was winning that Marquez fight. He was up on points and with ten seconds left in the round, let the crowd get to him and lunged in trying to score a knockout. He's done it before.

The real issue here is that Marquez has real power in his counters. Mayweather doesn't. This has a Mayweather points win written all over it. Betting on a Mayweather KO is wasting your money. It simply wont happen.

Did I watch it? I was there!!!

Kirby, respectfully, if you believe the was no power in that Mayweather hook you are either niave or dillusional

Hatton's KO was a mix of many things, including frustration and faitgue.

But mostly Floyd's punches

As a human, he is detestable, but as as boxer he is the greatest of his generation

But mostly Floyd's punches

Yes, punches as in plural. Hatton was softened up, tired, frustrated and ready to go. It was a hard night, and even harder having to fight two of them in the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

As a human, he is detestable, but as as boxer he is the greatest of his generation

He probably is the best boxer of his generation but would you agree that Pacquiao has had the better career?

He probably is the best boxer of his generation but would you agree that Pacquiao has had the better career?

As a politician?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

As a politician?

As a politician? No way, Mayweather is. The man never answered a straight question with a straight answer in his life. :)

• Advertisement

As a politician? No way, Mayweather is. The man never answered a straight question with a straight answer in his life. :)

The most accomplished stylish technically gifted boxer in my lifetime is Floyd Mayweather Jr

Advertisement