Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Cups & Shields

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

Spanish point won the first two matches 7&6 and 6&5. they are 2up 4 up and 1 up thru nine holes in the other three matches.

heard a guy the other day saying he was going to play a game of golf in Spanish Point one(.1) seems apt looking at the scores

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

I suppose you would have to expect that if they are playing off handicaps that are too high by 5 shots each and Paddy Power have them as two to one on hot favourites to win it out, sad

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Spanish point won the first two matches 7&6 and 6&5. they are 2up 4 up and 1 up thru nine holes in the other three matches.

heard a guy the other day saying he was going to play a game of golf in Spanish Point one(.1) seems apt looking at the scores

That is a joke .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Sligored wrote: »
    spanish point up in all 5 , such a joke , an embarrassment :mad:

And we shouldn't be "bickering" about this carry on?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Congratulations Gorfield and the rest of his Muskerry teammates! :D

http://www.gui.ie/home/news/barton-shield.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Fantastic win Spanish Point. Congratulations.

Almost the same team as last year which really makes it such a special win.
    The club must be so proud. I hope they are anyway. Felicitations to all involved; players, captain, handicap secretary, etc.

And the GUI as well, on another fantastic day for amateur golf. Well done sirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

spanish point up in all 5 , such a joke , an embarrassment :mad:

Enniscrone Spanish Point
    Thursday 18th September 2014
    Fourballs
    1 John Rush & Jim Rickard 6 Up Thru 9 Kevin Hynes & Damian Sexton
    2 Kenny McGrath & Eugene O'Doherty 4 Up Thru 9 Evan Talty & Mervin Hehir
    3 John Griffin & Jim Bowe 2 Up Thru 9 Aiden Sexton & Stephen Guilfoyle
    4 Richie Cloonan & Jack Ruane 3 Up Thru 7 Fergal Hehir & Martin Glenny
    5 Pat Ruane & Padraig Tighe 1 Up Thru 7 Eric Murrihy & Niall Heeney

Sligored - you were giving stick here the other day .

So ?

Ah here, credit where its due. There are particular techniques to be mastered to succeed in GUI interclub golf, and Spanish Point have really done it better than any other club. Some get close, maybe even trying similar strategies. But SP clearly have it down to a tee. Its almost like most other clubs are in a different league and dont know what it takes to achieve such total control of the 12-15 handicap range.
    How do they do it ? :confused::confused::(:o

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

Sligored - you were giving stick here the other day .

So ?

dont get your point - i said i worry for enniscrone (and was proved right).

I also
    was surprised that after circa 10 pages talking about the handicaps , nobody had made a comment on the golf itself.

Cant wait to get up there tomorrow.

I also was surprised that after circa 10 pages talking about the handicaps , nobody had made a comment on the golf itself.

The issue of the great deceit that is handicap team golf, its perptuation by both clubs and the GUI/ILGU, and the vile lip service paid to the truth of this cancer in amateur golf is well worthy of 10 pages discussion to those not part of the conspiracy or swallowing the con.
    The golf itself (unhandicapped competitions excepted) is worth little comment, and then, only to poke fun at it or enjoy its absurdity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

The issue of the great deceit that is handicap team golf, its perptuation by both clubs and the GUI/ILGU, and the vile lip service paid to the truth of this cancer in amateur golf is well worthy of 10 pages discussion to those not part of the conspiracy or swallowing the con.
    The golf itself (unhandicapped competitions excepted) is worth little comment, and then, only to poke fun at it or enjoy its absurdity.

That's far too cynical. You're letting a couple of bad apples tarnish everyone.

Good luck tomorrow Sligored, fantastic achievement to get to the business end.

cairny wrote: »
    You're letting a couple of bad apples tarnish everyone.
    Little more than a couple. Ten at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

It's a shame Spanish Point don't put up too many singles results on Howdidido .... I would imagine players on a successful team like that would have received many individual cuts throughout the qualifying season given how well they have been playing for their club ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 pingg10

what odds for 3 in a row next year

pingg10 wrote: »
    what odds for 3 in a row next year

Nil I'd say.
    This result is already so outrageous it will prompt I lot of debate. Out of public earshot in the main though and, not that anything will change.
    If anything, not winning 3 in a row will indicate that the status quo continues. The men in the smoke filled rooms will just ensure that it isnt Spanish Point next year and continue to fudge the illusion that it is a fair competition and the winners are worthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mickelson

what about rosses point??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

How do you check results in another club on Howdidido lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

PARlance wrote: »
    How do you check results in another club on Howdidido lads?

If the club posts to howdidido, you find the club, and on left hand side, there's a comp results tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    It's a shame Spanish Point don't put up too many singles results on Howdidido .... I would imagine players on a successful team like that would have received many individual cuts throughout the qualifying season given how well they have been playing for their club ;-)

Last singles comp posted on howdidido was for 6th April 2014, is their internet broken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Dealerz wrote: »
    Last singles comp posted on howdidido was for 6th April 2014, is their internet broken?

Yeah that's the last entry alright. All of their resources must be put into team training and perhaps a company car for the handicap secretary :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Russman

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Yeah that's the last entry alright. All of their resources must be put into team training and perhaps a company car for the handicap secretary :D

Or there's only 4 singles comps per year.......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

how long before spanish point hear of this thread and do everyone in it for slander.... ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Russman wrote: »
    Or there's only 4 singles comps per year.......:D

They seem to prefer the team event or fourball format in the majority of the club events for some reason ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Lets leave it at that now lads.

Rossmore up in 3, SP up in 1. All Square in 1. 7 holes gone. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

cairny wrote: »
    Rossmore up in 3, SP up in 1. All Square in 1. 7 holes gone. Interesting.

Go on Rossmore :D great Monaghan Club !!

kieran. wrote: »
    Go on Rossmore :D great Monaghan Club !!

Turned around I'm afraid, SP up in 3, 2 matches all but won.

Ah well good to see my club up there !!

kieran. wrote: »
    Ah well good to see my club up there !!

Here's the link for the live scoring, on a knife edge now again-

http://gui.intelligentgolf.ie/aig_pierce_purcell_shield

I'm a Monaghan fan for the next hour or so.

• Advertisement

Thnaks a mill for the link......... I'm a Rossmore member so there will not be much work done for the next hour !!

Advertisement