Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Cups & Shields

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

Barnaboy wrote: »
    On a more positive note, am playing in my first ever interclub final tomorrow, Tudenham Cup. We are playing Concra Wood from Monaghan in the final in Mullingar. It's been a tremendous experience regardless of what happens tomorrow. Haven't come across anything like the shenanigans mentioned in pages here.

I can't wait for tomorrow :)

As another poster said, don't knock it until you try it.

I've only played inter club best cup and McDonnell cups (hc +17), I loved every minute of team golf. Enjoy and best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

On a more positive note, am playing in my first ever interclub final tomorrow, Tudenham Cup. We are playing Concra Wood from Monaghan in the final in Mullingar. It's been a tremendous experience regardless of what happens tomorrow. Haven't come across anything like the shenanigans mentioned in pages here.

Best of luck, enjoy the day

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Best of luck tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Would you see SP players popping up a lot as winners of open fourballs, rumbles etc?

Tbh i just don't know. I played against one of their pairings this year and to say they are pp standard is a joke. Super golfers. If you told me both of them were playing off 5 or even 4 i would have believed you. Made me ask myself am i a genuine 13 handicapper? !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Tbh i just don't know. I played against one of their pairings this year and to say they are pp standard is a joke. Super golfers. If you told me both of them were playing off 5 or even 4 i would have believed you. Made me ask myself am i a genuine 13 handicapper? !

I find it hard to believe a 13 handicap would carry 7 shots
    I played with a 4 handicapper on wed giving him 6 shots of 10
    He was twice the golfer i am ball striking putting,distane of the tee i have alot work to do to get to 4

• Advertisement

Sorry 9 shots

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

There's a lad on the team that a mate works with, he was off 15 (Munster GUI gave him a 2 shot cut!!!!) so now prob off 13. Could be the same guy.

He can pull +1, +2's at ease. Went +2 for captains day and my mate has playing with him on a +2 round.

I'm not sure what HC that makes him, prob a good 10.

PARlance wrote: »
    There's a lad on the team that a mate works with, he was off 15 (Munster GUI gave him a 2 shot cut!!!!) so now prob off 13. Could be the same guy.

He can pull +1, +2's at ease. Went +2 for captains day and my mate has playing with him on a +2 round.

I'm not sure what HC that makes him, prob a good 10.

Is that fact or hearsay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Ciaranra wrote: »
    Is that fact or hearsay

Hearsay : if he can pull +1, +2 with ease then he is at worst a five.

Agree if hes shooting +1+2 etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

There's an awful lot of fact in there.

I'm not into hearsay, and double checked everything. My mate is a casual golfer at most but has been told all the nitty gritty of what goes on in the place. He was probably told so freely because he's not a real golfer and wouldn't know the carry on.

My handicap oscillated between 12 and 13 for fifteen years. In three different clubs (and varied course styles) in that period, but my handicap range stayed the same. Probably entering 15-20 qualifying singles cards per year.
    I shot 5 over once, 6 over once, and 7,8 or 9 over maybe a dozen time all in.

Shooting a couple over par, even once a year, is so far off the mark for a PP level player, it can be nothing but handicap cheating.

(And I played Pierce Purcell several times in two of the clubs. I won some lost some, but we never got far. It took me a few years to realise why.)

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

My handicap oscillated between 12 and 13 for fifteen years. In three different clubs (and varied course styles) in that period, but my handicap range stayed the same. Probably entering 15-20 qualifying singles cards per year.
    I shot 5 over once, 6 over once, and 7,8 or 9 over maybe a dozen time all in.

Shooting a couple over par, even once a year, is so far off the mark for a PP level player, it can be nothing but handicap cheating.

(And I played Pierce Purcell several times in two of the clubs. I won some lost some, but we never got far. It took me a few years to realise why.)
    That's terrific logic right there, just because you can't do it, then the people that do must be cheating.
    Please email the GUI with this well thought out, conclusive and foolproof logic so they can take the necessary steps.

That's terrific logic right there, just because you can't do it, then the people that do must be cheating.
    Please email the GUI with this well thought out, conclusive and foolproof logic so they can take the necessary steps.

You misinterpret the post, and the meaning of logic.

However, there is logic in my line about those shooting a couple over par. No need to send it to the GUI though. They know it very well already. But take no action. And legitimately probably. They devolve that responsibility to its member clubs and their handicap committees. And it is they who collude in handicap shenanigans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

[quote=

Shooting a couple over par, even once a year, is so far off the mark for a PP level player, it can be nothing but handicap cheating.[/quote]

That's just plain wrong. I play sometimes with a man his 70s who's off 13. He shot 2 over during the week. The man has tried his best on every single hole he ever played and put in his card for every single round. He's as far from a cheat as it's possible to be.

There's so much more to match play than handicaps.

At least you've tried it though so you're entitled to complain about it.

Did you enjoy it when you played btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

mafc wrote: »
    Best of luck, enjoy the day

Have to say despite losing the final it was a great day. Delighted in that I managed to win my match 5&4 :) played some fantastic golf on the front nine and set us up for the win.

The lads from concra wood were great craic. The way a match should be. Great sportsmanship all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,055 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

yellows handed out, next it's red and thread closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

has Gorfield surfaced anywhere yet ? lol

A few mates of mine were up there for the week, following muskerry in the Barton and Tramore in the Senior. They said the golf out of Gorfield and his partner was fantastic. So kudos to you both and your team! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭gorfield

Rikand wrote: »
    has Gorfield surfaced anywhere yet ? lol

A few mates of mine were up there for the week, following muskerry in the Barton and Tramore in the Senior. They said the golf out of Gorfield and his partner was fantastic. So kudos to you both and your team! :D

Thanks man, safe to say I'm poisoned from the last 3 days.
    Was great to play so well in the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

Milltown beat The Island with the final putt in the final match on the 18th. Some really high quality golf on view. If the Ryder Cup is half as exciting, I'll eat my hat.

https://www.gui.ie/leinster/championships/results/leinster-under-15-inter-club-results-2014

Finals:
    1st Leg in Milltown Golf Club on Sunday 31st August
    Milltown bt The Island 3/2
    (Milltown names first)
    Eoin Carey (13) bt James Murphy (12) 2/1; Stephen Madigan (12) bt Matthew Crumlish (12) 2/1; Kevin O'Donnell (11) bt Conor Grant (12) 4/2; Rory Madigan (9) lost to Stephan Campbell (10) 5/4; Charlie Denvir (3) lost to Niall Grant (9) 3/2
    2nd Leg in The Island Golf Club on Sunday 21st September
    Milltown bt The Island 3/2(Milltown names first)
    Eoin Carey bt Conor Grant 2/1; Stephen Madigan lost to James Murphy 4/3; Kevin O'Donnell bt Stephan Campbell 3/2; James Tarrant lost to Niall Grant 2/1; Charlie Denvir bt Joseph Hanney 1 Hole

Milltown win on aggregate 6/4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭gorfield

Sorry - no.

you can still have your own standards.

My handicap - is my handicap - I work hard at it.

Not into this **** at all.

Team my arse.

Unfortunately the only form of team golf on show in the Cups and shields that is clean and pure is the Senior Cup and Barton shield.

All teams fielded regardless of hcap.

The shenanigans will never stop with regard to the hcap competitions.

Id love to be able to write some of the stuff i seen up there from a certain clubs players but we must do as the gui do..... ssshhhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 27,055 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If you want someone to PM you something then PM then, please dont use the public forum for personal correspondence.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

Might be a bit early but just interested to know anyone have info on venues for next yrs cups&shields events.

Heres what i have so far.
    SENIOR, BARTON SHIELD AND JUNIOR MUNSTER FINALS AT DUNGARVANGC

WEST MUNSTER BARTON SHIELD QUALIFIER AT KILARNEY GC (MAHONYS POINT)
    EAST MUNSTER BARTON SHIELD QUALIFIER AT DUNGARVAN GC.

Let us know if your club is hosting any events

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Athlone are hosting the qualifiers for the Junior Cup - South Zone in Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

Junior cup in Castlecomer down kilkenny way

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭thoscon

Can anyone tell me what's the combinded handicap range for Barton cup and is it foursomes ? Trying to find it on the GUI site but can't find it

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭DiegoWorst

thoscon wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what's the combinded handicap range for Barton cup and is it foursomes ? Trying to find it on the GUI site but can't find it

It is foursomes, combined 14hcp.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭thoscon

DiegoWorst wrote: »
    It is foursomes, combined 14hcp.

Cheers

Advertisement