Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round?? ... 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

putting horrendously - a 4 putt and 4 3 putts. Don't know what has happened. Changing too much again. Hit the ball too hard, pulling or straight right.

Pitty, rest of game ok. Finished 14 over in Corballis.

Anyway - a bit of thinking of where to go next with putting. Might get a fat grip.

Very nice out there today, couldn't believe how dry it was.

Tomorrow will be better - can't be as bad as that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭ballyk

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Cheers. Defo planning to get out there soon for a game as its a course I've always loved.

How is it holding up with the weather ?
    Always took water well in my experience. Tried to get out there a few weeks ago and it was closed which shocked me - you know the weather is bad then !!

The course used to be wet years ago. However they put in a huge amount of drainage over the last number of years which meant it took the water well ever since.

The greens were good yesterday. Fairways were soft in places. I don't ever remember it being closed due to wet weather up until the end of 2013/start of 2014 which tells you how bad things have been as you say!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Got my handicap today of 23. I haven't played to It in Rathcore but have in Navan and Moor Park so I'm sure with time I will.

Today, as far as I can work out, I scored 28pts (2 pars,some bogeies and doubles) with the new irons so delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

putting horrendously - a 4 putt and 4 3 putts. Don't know what has happened. Changing too much again. Hit the ball too hard, pulling or straight right.

Pitty, rest of game ok. Finished 14 over in Corballis.

Anyway - a bit of thinking of where to go next with putting. Might get a fat grip.

Very nice out there today, couldn't believe how dry it was.

Tomorrow will be better - can't be as bad as that again.

It's winter golf. Putting well is not to be expected this time of year as you are generally putting on greens that are slower than what you are used to, bumpier than what you are used to and therefore you generally try to put something extra into your stroke, thus throwing yourself off.

Now is NOT the time to be making drastic changes to your putter/stroke :)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Played mountain view today greens still in great order credit to greenkeepers. Arrived to rain sat in the jeep let it pass over. Was pretty windy but enjoyable. Had 22pts front9 was +4 playing well walking onto the 10th went db 11th par 12th par 13th par. 14th ruined me 2 balls lost to the right, head in the bin round over finshed 12pts bck9 I cant even remember I was so annoyed about the 14th I messed up my round..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dossy

Played Water Rock today,
    We had rain, cold wind, Sun and snow all in the round :(

First day playing off new handicap of 17 (17.4) Official Now :)
    Hit 31pts - Not a good day tho

3 Par
    9 Bogey
    5 Double Bogey
    1 other (9) Dont ask :mad:

94 Strokes

All in all myself and the lad i was playing with said that for a new course we both be happy with 30pts
    So even after a crap back 9 of 14pts set a goal of Bogey for each of last 6 holes, managed too sneak in a Par could have had 2-3 more really but what can ya do.....

It was forward tee's (20-30yds) and NO mats which was great,
    The Greens were in EXCELLANT shape, we couldn't believe how quick they were, losts alot of puts over it but really enjoyed the day.....

For anyone down in Cork i would reccommend playing a round in Water Rock, lovely staff and Great Course

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

He went one better and gave you 17!!!! :D

PARlance wrote: »
    He went one better and gave you 17!!!! :D

Ya PARlance,
    Played another round the other day and took a €5 off him in a Four Ball :D
    He went back over my scoring through the winter as i got few 38-41

Im only .1 off 18 anyway which is just one comp away haha

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭paulos53

Dossy, How soft were the fairways in Waterrock?

Was thinking of heading there over the weekend for my first game of the year.

paulos53 wrote: »
    Dossy, How soft were the fairways in Waterrock?

Was thinking of heading there over the weekend for my first game of the year.

We both found them in great nick, to be honest it was the first thing i said walking down the 10th ( started on back 9 )

I was stamping on the ground saying "christ this is class, there solid out"

Another thing was only few holes 2-3 id say that were bit soft off to the left and rear of green

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

30 points marking off 28 today in Carton house on the O Meara course .

I was disapointed with myself walking off because my short game killed me and for the last 2 holes my driving disserted me , two horrible snap hooks to finish .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Absolutely shocking. Played 15 holes in castlebar and got 20pts. I can't believe I played that bad. Course was very wet in parts but overall in good condition. Greens had a lot of pitch marks tho, I think people have forgot how to repair them on that course!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

PB for me today. All the work at the range paying off in spades.

Lift clean and place everywhere. Bunkers GUR.
    11 pars
    6 bogeys
    1 scratch (triple bogey)

Missed two putts from inside three feet.

This vid has really helped me at the range, particularly the slow mo and long takes. Rory haters try to ignore the fact that it is Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Another steady if unspectacular round in Moate today. 26pts for 13 hole competition. Low point was scratch on 3rd hole after knocking a drive down into a nearby drain (it was so bad it was nearly an air shot) and then going wayward with my 4th shot after a solid 2nd drive. Positives were my driving on the other holes and my putting was decent enough too. Finished with 4 pars in a row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

+2 for 13 holes there last week. Hit the ball well. My last18 holes was carton monty 4 wks back +6 with doubles on 17 and 18 :( was bombin it. Cannot wait for summer gonna really try get from 9 to 5

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

played 9 holes in portumna yesterday with 4 pars and 5 bogies with a few poor decisions resulting in the bogies, with swing changes and with new driver so happy enough..
    fir 5/7
    gir 4/9
    putts 18

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

+8 today
    +6 f 9, +2 b 9
    8 pars
    1 birdie
    9 bogey's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Galway Bay off 17. 38 points scratched last but happy otherwise. Have a feeling there is a big score about to burst out. Hopefully not until cuts come into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Played Monty today with Charlie & Scuba, great day for it, greens and fairways in great nick, soft enough in parts of the rough.

Had 37 points off 17, 88 strokes.

Steady but unspectacular front 9:
    (14 points)
    5bogies
    2 db's
    1 Scratch (4 putt for TB... Lack of concentration)

Scratch came on the 9th, when I should have had a decent par putt for level 2's.

Turned things around on the back 9:
    (3 over for 23 points)
    1 birdie
    5 pars
    2 bogeys
    1 DB

Saved my birdie to finish off a nice day golfing. Just over 4 hours and the company a joy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Excellent course with excellent company, doesn't get much better! Very little rain apart from only a few drops thankfully. Yet again it took 8 holes to get the driver working but scrambled well to keep big scores off the card. Struggled with the putter at times too though - had 6 or 7 birdie putts and only had made one and 2 pars! Sank a few long ones to make bogey though.
    Still, thoroughly enjoyed it.
    1 birdie
    2 pars
    11 bogeys
    Few scratches from visiting nearly every bunker on a few holes!!! They need to add about 4 foot of sand to them!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Serious game of two halves today. Was a matchplay for our winter league quarter final. Lost my match to a very strong 9 handicapper. In fact the whole team got hockeyed, we only got one half :-(

Started bogey, par and went 2 down to par, birdie....then went on a great run for the rest of the front nine. Played some fantastic golf, finished +1 for the front nine (3 bogies, 2 birdies, 4 pars). Turned only 2 up, despite my superb start.

My troubles began straight away on the back nine. Short par 5 to start, pulled my drive a little left which meant my chance to go for the green in 2 was gone. My opponent is a huge hitter and was in a good position. I hit a sensible second and left a 90 yard sandwedge to the green. He hit a cracking second to about 15 feet. That put the pressure on me, struck my wedge really clean and straight but way too hard, it bounced over the back of the green and into the bushes. Hole lost.

On the 11th a par 3, hit a good tee shot as did my opponent. He then hit a poor enough pitch which gave me a great chance to win the hole. But I lifted my head and bladed my pitch and it scuttled across the green. Ended up halving the hole. Made a good par putt on 12 to save another half. Made a balls of 13 and lost the hole to bring the match back to all square. Then lost 14 to a par, just missing mine, and I was down for the first time since the 5th hole.

Had a shot on 15 and needed it to halve the hole. Then a nightmare on 16. Put my drive out of bounds, hit an ok 3rd, knocked down the 4th and hole gone, 2 down and dormie. He then hits a staggering drive down 17, I then stupidly tried to match it and pulled mine left under a tree. Then compounded the problem by trying to make the green with a 3-wood and ended up stuffing it into the spinney, match over.

Was a dreadful way to end the match. I had played so well early on but faded quite badly. That said I think he played to level par for the 17 holes! Still should have beaten him!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

A poor days work today. New clubs & new swing meant I wasn't overly expectant of great results.

Had 91 strokes.

2 birdies
    3 pars
    6 Bogeys
    6 doubles
    1 treble

5/14 FIR
    3/18 GIR

1.83 putts
    1.33 putts per GIR

Really the biggest cost wasn't down to swing or club's, lost at least 10 strokes due to touch inside 50yrds & that is not an exaggeration

Was good to get out swinging & was a pretty good day for it too after the conditions for the last week or so

Feels like progress but a long way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

V-Par comp today and finished 4up. Shot a 79 off 12. Hitting the ball well but still need to work on chipping and pitching. Only got up and down 5 times from 11. Still very happy with general play, more constant which is the name of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭scubapro

Fantastic day out with Parlance and CharlieIRL, second time playing the Montgomerie and definitely not as intimidating as the first time, short game was poor but not overly concerned, did chip in on 16 Though :) completely new swing so the objective was to concentrate on my ball striking, had a brain freeze on 10 and 11 but got it back going until scratching the 18th.
    Definitely tangible progress being made which is encouraging.
    Finished with 32 points off 17 with two scratches 18 front 14 back.
    Roll on Esker

Am actually in bits here now after today! Fell off a horse Saturday morning and the first thing that went thru my mind was would I be to play golf!!

I used the same programme that I use to track my cycling to track my round today. Turned it on and left it in the bag. Interesting viewing. Last time I done this I had it in my bag on a trolly in new forest and we travelled 12k!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Am actually in bits here now after today! Fell off a horse Saturday morning and the first thing that went thru my mind was would I be to play golf!!

What were you doing getting up on a horse at YOUR age ?

[QUOTE=Rikand;89043 what were you doing getting up on a horse at YOUR age ?[/QUOTE]

Hope body ok for Saturday.
    But that is taking valentines weekend to a whole new level.

Ben1977 wrote: »
    V-Par comp today and finished 4up. Shot a 79 off 12. Hitting the ball well but still need to work on chipping and pitching. Only got up and down 5 times from 11. Still very happy with general play, more constant which is the name of the game.

Great shooting Ben. Another good year coming up.

• Advertisement

Rikand wrote: »
    What were you doing getting up on a horse at YOUR age ?
    hey - its enough with herself giving out to me!!

Hope body ok for Saturday.
    But that is taking valentines weekend to a whole new level.

har har har!!:D

I might need a buggy saturday!:P

Advertisement