Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadchurch ITV/TV3 [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

I'd love to post my theory however don't know how to cover it over to hide it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

glasso wrote: »
    the pendant belonged to one of the two murdered girls afaik. it was found in the main suspect's (man in field who fixes fences staring into distance) car. it was a key bit of evidence against him. but then it was "lost" and seems to be have been a key reason for the collapse of the case against him. in the last episode the police woman recognises it in photo of double-chin hairdresser ex-wife of suspect (on her neck) in a hairdressing photo shot when cutting police woman's hair . it's then revealed that doctor who had taken the blame for losing the pendant, when in fact it was in his wife's possession at the time. Finally it's also revealed that double-chin was the one that stole the pendant, making it look like a car break-in, presumably to get her husband off. In present day she burns the photo, realising that policewoman copped it. (sorry don't really remember any of the characters names even tho I have been watching it!)

Double chin was Gwen in Torchwood I think.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

gjc wrote: »
    I'd love to post my theory however don't know how to cover it over to hide it :confused:

When you are posting there's a SPOILER button above the Smilies. Click that and it will put SPOILER tags up. Whatever you type within those tags will be covered.

K-9 wrote: »
    Double chin was Gwen in Torchwood I think.

yeah she used to be hotter but now has a poundage problem. when yer man (Lee) had her up against the wall in the last episode holding her neck there was a serious double-chin flab issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Its a theory, feel free to share

• Advertisement

Right so here goes
    pauline quirks son is not nige it really is joe she knows it hence her reason to implicate Nige and biological son gets off another theory I have is that Tom did it really and dad is taking the blame as for sandbank or whatever it's called the writer likes to blame the least suspicious person grasping at straws here but hardys ex wife is not entirely what we think of her
    [/SPOILER]

Right so here goes
    pauline quirks son is not nige it really is joe she knows it hence her reason to implicate Nige and biological son gets off another theory I have is that Tom did it really and dad is taking the blame as for sandbank or whatever it's called the writer likes to blame the least suspicious person grasping at straws here but hardys ex wife is not entirely what we think of her
    [/SPOILER]
    Jeez I'm hooked on this program but does nobody just go for a coffee instead they all like to tramp around the cliff or the beach

Jeez I'm hooked on this program but does nobody just go for a coffee instead they all like to tramp around the cliff or the beach

If I see one more person staring out at the sun rising from a cliff top! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I only caught up with Mon night's programme this evening. Running the trial alongside Hardy's Sandbrook investigation is head-wrecking. Where is Sandbrook exactly? From S1, I formed the impression that it was the other end of the country. But Hardy and Ellie seem to visit it with the regularity of trips to Tescos, so it must be nearby. But then Broadchurch wouldn't be the ideal location for Hardy's relocation of Claire, would it?
    Nothing would surprise me at this stage because nothing makes sense and as more and more plot rabbits are pulled out of hats, my interest wanes. I'll stick with it but meh...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I hadn't realised that when Claire smashed the carwindow that was a flashback.
    Also I must have missed this but did david Tennant save someone from drowning?
    Hopefully now he has his pacemaker we won't get the scenes of him getting dizzy

• Advertisement

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    Also I must have missed this but did david Tennant save someone from drowning?
    Hopefully now he has his pacemaker we won't get the scenes of him getting dizzy

No he found the body of the girl in the river I think.

But the flash back to it far too often.

Nothing came of toms hard drive being looked into I think this will need to be cleared up

Nothing came of toms hard drive being looked into I think this will need to be cleared up

Didnt it come out he had sent abusive emails to Danny?

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Didnt it come out he had sent abusive emails to Danny?
    Oh right so missed that thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Has Charlotte Rampling ever heard of the word "Objection"??

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭El Diablo Blanco

I'll preface my remarks by saying that I actually have enjoyed the second series of Broadchurch, and still find it very watchable and entertaining. What I have missed from this series, however, is the same level of character development that made the first series so wonderful. The majority (if not all) of the new cast- while very well portrayed- are only sketched very broadly (understandably for the Sandbrook suspects), and it's hard to get a sense on who they are.

I've watched a good amount of shows over the last few years, and would state hand-on-heart that the first series of Broadchurch is up there with Game of Thrones for me, as one of my favourites. For what I look for in a dramatic series, it flawlessly ticked all the boxes and, moreover, it actually had a lot to say. It showed the cynicism of the media and the consequences of a witch-hunt, dealt with parental abuse and suspected paedophilia, highlighted the changing role of the church in modern-day England, and portayed a family's grief extremely effectively without being mawkish or overwrought; something exceptionally difficult to do. Along with that, the sense of mystery about who killed Danny was impressively compelling.

Personally, I would've happily left Broadchurch as a self-contained, one-series show. The conclusion of the first series- with the community showing their solidarity with the Latimers by lighting lanterns along the coastline, and showing that they had not been broken or irreparably damaged by the shocking events that had passed- was surprisingly moving, and a perfect place to leave things.

I was initially a little worried about how S2 would shape up, but found the first episode to be really good, and it left me optimistic about where the show would go. I'm not really bothered by what wigs are worn in the courtroom or what witnesses are hearing evidence or Beth's remarkable recovery time from giving birth(!)- I'm willing to suspend a little disbelief for the sake of drama. What I have been a little perturbed by, however, is (as I've said) the lack of any ostensible character development. Jodie Whittaker, in particular, has been done a huge disservice this series, I've felt; Beth has done nothing, really, but nag and flee a church full of sex offenders! Her contribution to S1, and the portrayal of her grief, was outstanding, and a key part of what elevated the show. She's not really done much this time around.

The trial and the ongoing investigation into what happened in Sandbrook is still interesting, but personally, I miss the little character moments that brought S1 up another level. Ellie going berserk at Tom was definitely a step in the right direction, along with a nice little scene with Chloe Latimer and Ellie on the stairs in the (I think) third episode. More moments like that, and a bit more background into some of the newer and previously-established characters would've had me a little more favourably disposed towards this series. I am still enjoying it, but would reluctantly agree that it's a bit of a step down from the first series.

Two episodes left (watching on TV3 in a little bit) - I hope they'll end it on a high.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

In the US remake of season 1 ([Gracepoint), they changed the ending -
    Tom killed Danny by accident, and Joe took the blame
    . I wonder if that's what they're working towards here? I don't think we ever found out
    why Tom deleted everything off his phone in Season 1, did we?

That said, I'll be annoyed if they say
    Joe didn't do it after all, because of the flashback we saw.

Didnt Tom delete stuff as he had sent Danny abusive text as Danny "had a new friend who understood him better"

I was sure the lawyer and the journalist were sisters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Didnt Tom delete stuff as he had sent Danny abusive text as Danny "had a new friend who understood him better"

Oh right, sorry, I thought that was an email. Didn't he destroy a laptop at some stage too? It's been so long I can't remember... Anyway.

I hope they stick with the ending from Season 1, but also, we need a few twists in next week's episode to make the last 7 weeks worth it!

• Advertisement

Would happily fast forward to next Monday just to be put out of the misery. My fear is that those two clowns will win the trial and joe will get off . Also they will find someone completely random say like the reporter olly for the sand brook murder I have a feeling we've all been given red herrings and the obvious people are not involved
    also Pauline quirke I reckon is really joe millers mother not Niges and so her reasoning to point finger at nige
    I also find it strange that joe Miller never has a guilty face on him which also makes ne think he will get off if that does happen I think writers / directors should be charged with wasting audience time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭walkingshadow

I was sure the lawyer and the journalist were sisters

They are sisters. Scissor sisters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I'm actually at the point now where I can't wait for it to end. Sick of that idiot Claire and lee.
    Just give me the verdict

is it ending next week - great - I won't have to see it again!
    awful second series - kept watching it in the hope that it improved but it went the other way.
    another cheap move by ending the episode on the verdict - it's not 1985 tv, it's 2015 ffs.
    the way to do continue these great 1-off story series (.e.g. Broadchurch season 1) is to go the way of "True Detective" and "Fargo" and do it with a different cast and story in season 2, instead of butchering it.
    Although the dynamic in the US is different, shows like "True Detective" and "Fargo" are now vehicles for big-name actors to revive their film careers, so they'll do 1 season, which is not the case in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,649 ✭✭✭Cartman78

This is really starting to unravel now :(

There was a scene last night when Harvey and Millar were talking thru the details of the Sandbrook case (the one that ends with Millar shouting "That's the lie Millar") that was laughable....made no sense whatsover, completely convolouted and inpentratable. I actually watched it twice in case I'd missed something but it made less sense the second time around :confused:

The court scenes are kinda funny now too....as mentioned by a previous poster there was numerous times when the prosecution should have been screaming objection rather than let the defence slander everyone in sight.

And bringing the jury in twice (or was it 3 times)...in super slow motion, in super soft-focus camera style with the music going full blast is just completely taking the mickey with your audience.

It's still compelling in a weird way but, for me, this is gone from being a guilty pleasure to now borderline hate-watching it

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭donalh087

I have followed it up to now as I know all the characters, quite like some and it is filmed very nicely. But the geriatric lesbian scene just took the freakin' marietta. No more.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

donalh087 wrote: »
    I have followed it up to now as I know all the characters, quite like some and it is filmed very nicely. But the geriatric lesbian scene just took the freakin' marietta. No more.

Come on, it's only one more episode, just tough it out with the rest of us.:D
    One more hour, you can do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Gawd almighty. Just watched this week's episode and I can't wait for it all to be over. Unless the producers have an amazing final episode up their sleeves, I'll hit the roof. I'm completely done with the Danny Lattimer case. Beyond caring. Just like Hardie, it looks like. I'm going to speculate that the missing girl is stashed away in France but as for what happened to Pippa, no explanation will make her more than a hastily recreated cipher to make Hardie look like a human.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Anyone watching on utv?? Well then.....

Advertisement