Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadchurch ITV/TV3 [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

It's pished off a lot of people at this stage to make a decent recovery. Follow up seasons to a series where the first season was based around a strong premise that ended with the the end of the first season (i.e. the who did it of the first season) are rarely that good e.g. homeland with the "they don't know that I'm a terrorist" premise followed by crappy season 2 and 3's (4th was ok but changed completely) and prison break (went to crap once they actually broke out of prision).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I have a theory as far as Danny's murder goes

I think the Miller kid did it and the Joe then tried to cover it up so the child doesn't end up in the justice system and with a record as a murderer. Now he's not so keen on life in prison as a child killer and he's realised that all that needs happen is that his defence team create reasonable doubt that he's not the murderer and then he'll be out and that he doesn't have to implicate the child.We already know that the priest seems to be aware that Joe didn't do it.

The rest of it is not all that enthralling. Lee Ashworth clearly had a look of nervous recognition when they argi business with the furness was mentioned. It's just off on wild tangents now. It's really taken a dive, I'm not sure why I'm still watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I have a theory as far as Danny's murder goes

I think the Miller kid did it and the Joe then tried to cover it up so the child doesn't end up in the justice system and with a record as a murderer. Now he's not so keen on life in prison as a child killer and he's realised that all that needs happen is that his defence team create reasonable doubt that he's not the murderer and then he'll be out and that he doesn't have to implicate the child.We already know that the priest seems to be aware that Joe didn't do it.

Im starting to think that too. As someone else said, there is far too much going on, they really need to close off some of the events going on if they want to retain viewers. Not half as good as series 1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

I think one of the problems with season 2 is that it is essentially dragging out the story from season one that itself had a very contained story and a definitive ending- i.e. we know Joe killed Danny and we even saw it in detail in a flashback, so its hard to really to care about the case anymore (even them introducing doubts about Joe's guilt would make his capture and confession pointless) Still though, I am really enjoying the series- I think Joe will be found not guilty, go back to living in Broadchurch, when one morning he is found stabbed to death on the beach- cue season 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The priest seemed pretty sure in the church with the defence lawyers though, though he does look very troubled. It just seemed he was torn between 2 sides, but maybe there is more to it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    The priest seemed pretty sure in the church with the defence lawyers though, though he does look very troubled. It just seemed he was torn between 2 sides, but maybe there is more to it.

Remember though when the priest went to visit Joe in Prison Joe said something like "look you know I wasn't the only one at involved here" and the priest seemed to agree with him, he certainly didn't refute that point at all.
    Of course then I suppose the waters are somewhat muddied with the priest running a child sex offenders support group, you'd imagine if there had been others involved,it just might be them :/

Speaking of which, how weird to invite Danny's mum up to meet them at all not to mention during the murder trial of her child. That seemed such a mad thread to pull into the story that you'd have to wonder if it'll be relevant somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

ruskin wrote: »
    I think one of the problems with season 2 is that it is essentially dragging out the story from season one that itself had a very contained story and a definitive ending- i.e. we know Joe killed Danny and we even saw it in detail in a flashback, so its hard to really to care about the case anymore (even them introducing doubts about Joe's guilt would make his capture and confession pointless) Still though, I am really enjoying the series- I think Joe will be found not guilty, go back to living in Broadchurch, when one morning he is found stabbed to death on the beach- cue season 3.

Am enjoying it, but not as much as the first series. My theory is that the only logical reason for continuing with the original story is that it is part of a much larger child abuse conspiracy, possibly with a connection to Sandbrook. Makes sense that Hardy would be appointed to that area as he was considered washed up and not capable of running a successful investigation. I can see a third series covering this aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I see the reason for the second season as the unforeseen success of the first. A rushed writing job and the result is apparent. I really hope if the writers are on the ball they'll go full The Colby's and have a spaceship land.

I'll link to the clip here for the moment when 1980s TV said we've done enough coke and we're going home now and we'll be back with Nirvana.

That is how you end a show going nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭donalh087

Just as an aside - it is filmed beautifully. Visually, the set-ups are fantastic.

donalh087 wrote: »
    Just as an aside - it is filmed beautifully. Visually, the set-ups are fantastic.

I agree completely but I think they go over board sometimes with the artistic licence. I have to admit I have cringed at the picturesque shots of Lee topless,glistening in the sun doing whatever he is doing in that lovely field. Particularly when Dr Who went to visit him and Lee spent the time posing and flexing and staring off into the middle distance before a backdrop of a beautiful stone hut and luscious wheat sheaves blowing in the wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Thoughts on tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Haven't seen it yet, but the silence on here is deafening.....

Recorded it. Was watching the latest Hugh Grant movie instead. How the mighty have fallen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Gael23 wrote: »
    Thoughts on tonight?

The prosecutions random allegations and harassment of the witnesses is ridiculous.

Olivia Coleman is fan-bloody-tastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭The Pooka

Pretty dire alright! I have a theory, though, re. Sandbrook:
    The girl's mother did it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I think the Wlesh girl and the babysitter were having an affair.

And the babysitter did it

K-9 wrote: »
    I do think it will improve now the obvious plot holes are out! There's too much going on for me but we've Olivia to entertain us and there's enough intrigue to keep me watching.

nah - it's still muck.
    the flashbacks are such a crap way of telling a story. the trial scenes are bad in general I think and overall having the trial going on in conjunction with the new case with Lee and yer wan is a complete failure. Should have left out the trial completely but I guess it was a way of keeping the existing cast but it has ruined the whole thing.
    All this praise for Olivia Colman - I mean she is ok - she was better in peep show.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

glasso wrote: »
    nah - it's still muck.
    the flashbacks are such a crap way of telling a story. the trial scenes are bad in general I think and overall having the trial going on in conjunction with the new case with Lee and yer wan is a complete failure. Should have left out the trial completely but I guess it was a way of keeping the existing cast but it has ruined the whole thing.
    All this praise for Olivia Colman - I mean she is ok - she was better in peep show.

Whenever Olivia Colman uses the word ****, i cannot help but think of Peep Show

It's pretty obvious David Tennant murdered everybody using the TARDIS. Upon being found guilty he will use time travel to escape to West End Shakespeare and better paying roles (possibly a villain in Star wars / Star Trek ).

naughtb4 wrote: »
    I think the Wlesh girl and the babysitter were having an affair.

And the babysitter did it

Oh!Interesting, I hadn't seen it before but that could work!

It's jumped the shark officially now. There would've plenty meat in it already if they properly explored any of the characters, there was no need to throw the kitchen sink at it.

Why are they telling us about the barrister's son and other barrister's eye condition and elderly mother?
    Next week we discover the priest has a bad case of athletes foot and the blonde hotel owner's aunties friend has won 50 quid on the lotto?
    There are several pieces I feel like an idiot for not fastforwarding through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,664 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Can anyone offer a semi-plausible explanation about what is going on with the pendant? :confused::confused:

Makes zero sense at the moment.

The court case is getting a bit far-fetched as well at this stage....seems like the concept of witness preparation has been completely overlooked by both defence and prosecution

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Can anyone offer a semi-plausible explanation about what is going on with the pendant? :confused::confused:

The court case is getting a bit far-fetched as well at this stage....seems like the concept of witness preparation has been completely overlooked by both defence and prosecution

The pendant belonged to the older girl who went missing and who's body has never been found. It was initially found in Lee Ashworth's car. It was taken as evidance by Hardy's wife who left it in her car when she went to a hotel room with the guy she was having the affair with. Claire robbed the pendant from the car and started to wear it and that was how Ellie recognised the pendant when she saw the photo in Claire's portfolio.

the pendant belonged to one of the two murdered girls afaik. it was found in the main suspect's (man in field who fixes fences staring into distance) car. it was a key bit of evidence against him. but then it was "lost" and seems to be have been a key reason for the collapse of the case against him. in the last episode the police woman recognises it in photo of double-chin hairdresser ex-wife of suspect (on her neck) in a hairdressing photo shot when cutting police woman's hair . it's then revealed that doctor who had taken the blame for losing the pendant, when in fact it was in his wife's possession at the time. Finally it's also revealed that double-chin was the one that stole the pendant, making it look like a car break-in, presumably to get her husband off. In present day she burns the photo, realising that policewoman copped it. (sorry don't really remember any of the characters names even tho I have been watching it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭donalh087

I love the fact you haven't taken in any of the characters names. Brilliant.

On an aside - was any character more badly / over acted than Nigels mother Susan Wright ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,664 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Cheers to Glasso & Gazzer.....that kinda makes sense I guess in a Broadchurchian kinda way.....basically yer wan stole the evidence to get your man off :cool:

Seems a bit of an odd choice for her then to actually wear the pendant afterwards but there seems to be a whole bunch of pyscho-sexual hoo-hah going on there so god knows what she's up to

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

On an aside - was any character more badly / over acted than Nigels mother Susan Wright ?

Nigel himself

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

Oh I though Pauline Quirke was great, I still associate her with her Birds of a Feather character so seeing playing the manky Susan Wright part was totally different.
    I liked her more in series 1, but only because she had more to do.

I liked Monday's episode, although the series feels dragged out I think it's finally coming together.

It's still one of the most watchable TV series out there.

Realtine wrote: »
    Oh I though Pauline Quirke was great

I found the whole gravelly-mouth 60 Rothams-a-day howya voice a bit over-the-top.

Cheers to Glasso & Gazzer.....that kinda makes sense I guess in a Broadchurchian kinda way.....basically yer wan stole the evidence to get your man off :cool:

Seems a bit of an odd choice for her then to actually wear the pendant afterwards but there seems to be a whole bunch of pyscho-sexual hoo-hah going on there so god knows what she's up to

Or to get herself off!
    (no "sexual ho ha" pun intended)
    She seems more guilty than Lee, she could've taken his van that day the girls went missing.

Why the hell would she ever be wearing a murdered child's necklace for a professional photo though. That was really dropping the ball after going to the trouble of stealing it in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

glasso wrote: »
    nah - it's still muck.

Yep, I'm a bit lost after the end of the last episode. Having the 2 plots side by side isn't working.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement