Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip Hop 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

New Vince Staples album is out. Looks like I'll be turning off MadGibbs for a while!

http://www.soundcloud.com/blacksmith-a-g/sets/shyne-coldchain-vol-2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I listened to a couple of new albums today.

Schoolboy-Q - Oxymoron
    I'm not the biggest fan of Q (I dont think he's bad either) and this album hasnt really advanced that thought. I only gave it one listen, and out of sequence so I didnt fully immerse myself into it.
    I do plan to re-listen, and after the first listen, it's not going to be forced. So it's a good sign that I want to listen to it again with a bit more attention.

Prince Po - Animal Serum
    Po gets very overlooked in my opinion, not the most gifted MC, doesnt have any tricks, just delivers good straightforward hiphop. His first album The Slickness was really good, then kind of just churned out a few decent albums and has bounced back with Animal Serum. This is excellent, I dont imagine it would be easy for non Prince Po listeners to fall into the record and enjoy it, his voice may take some getting used to, but he delivers and the beats are dope. Really like this one.

Really liking oxymoron so far! Collard Greens, Hoover Street, Studio and Blind Threats are the stand out tracks for me! Roll on May 22nd, Vicar Street will be hopping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Apathy murders everything he's on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

MadGibbs album is good on a few brief listens...Madlib stole the show for me. Really was on form. Freddie is very meh for me but he didn't butcher the beats. Will crack into the album properly after the long weekend.

New Jay Electronica :eek:

https://www.soundcloud.com/cracktracks504/jay-electronica-better-in-tune

Act II 2014?!? Jay might be coming through with the best rap album of all time this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

HighClass wrote: »
    New Jay Electronica :eek:

https://www.soundcloud.com/cracktracks504/jay-electronica-better-in-tune

Act II 2014?!? Jay might be coming through with the best rap album of all time this year!

I'd be highly surprised if it ever comes out.

I'd be highly surprised if it ever comes out.

I have faith! If it does come it's going to be out of the blue, he just posts the link on Twitter one day. Worst thing he did was sign to the Roc. The album would have been out years ago but Jay Z was waiting for a radio single.

HighClass wrote: »
    I have faith! If it does come it's going to be out of the blue, he just posts the link on Twitter one day. Worst thing he did was sign to the Roc. The album would have been out years ago but Jay Z was waiting for a radio single.

I think it had been done for ages. I've no idea what the hold up is. He's never going to be a radio guy.

I think it had been done for ages. I've no idea what the hold up is. He's never going to be a radio guy.

Problem with Jay is he's a perfectionist. I remember a few years ago he shot a documentary/movie in the middle east and it will never see the light of day because he wasn't 100% happy with it. The new track that just came out was from the orignal tracklist for the album.

01 Real Magic [ft. Ronald Regan]
    02 New Illuminati [ft. Kanye West]
    03 Patents of Nobility
    04 Life on Mars (@FatBellyBella)
    05 Bonnie & Clyde guest starring Serge Gainsbourg
    06 Dinner at Tiffanys (The Shiny Suit Theory) [ft. Charlotte Gainsbourg, Jay-Z & The-Dream]
    07 Memories & Merlot
    08 Better in Tune with the Infinite [ft. Latonya Givens]
    09 A Letter to Falon
    10 Road to Perdition [ft. Jay-Z]
    11 Welcome to Knightsbridge [ft. Sean Diddy Combs]
    12 Rough Love [ft. Kanye West]
    13 Run & Hide guest starring The Bullitts
    14 Nights of the Roundtable (first draft skeleton)
    15 10,000 Lotus Petals

Chances are if the album does come out the tracklist willl look very different though. I know he's been in the studio recently with Nas so hopefully we get to hear something from that. I'd love to hear Act II, I don't think I've wanted to hear an album more than I want to hear this one but if it doesn't come out I won't be too mad. He doesn't have any projects out bar an EP and I still have 70+ tracks by him on my iTunes, more than a lot of rappers who have loads of albums out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

If you're on a big commercial label these days like jay electronica and you don't have some radio presence you're going to be left on the shelf no matter how good you are.

All the majors care about is your commercial appeal, if you haven't got that the indie route is the only way to go.Jay is running his label exactly like dre does aftermath imho.

nice song though.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

i've given a listen to a few new albums today.

Madlib & Freddie Gibbs - Cocaine Pinata
    Excellent album, i'm lost really on how to describe how good it is. Looking forward to listening to it again and again and again and again.

Homeboy Sandman - White Sands
    Excellent EP, great beats because they are a bit unconventional and sound dope. Sandman rocks over them perfectly.

Le1f - Hey EP
    Not really my cup of bovril, fairly listenable, and can see that this would appeal to alot of people on here.

Vince Staples - Shyne Coldchain Vol. 2
    Really really really good mixtape/album. Vince is fairly diverse which I wasnt really expecting, great delivery as well over some fairly daycent beats. I was left wanting some more after listening to it.

The Procussions - Up Til Now
    This is just great, loads of great Procussions/J. Mederios tracks all put together in one place. You get to hear how they have advanced over thier career and the new elements they have introduced over time.

Madlib & Freddie Gibbs - Cocaine Pinata
    Excellent album, i'm lost really on how to describe how good it is. Looking forward to listening to it again and again and again and again.

I'm going to get it on iTunes now. I'm very excited to hear it for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Brendan Filone

The Wu is back with the first single from "A Better Tomorrow":

I like it, Meth ripped it and GZA was also on point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

This is insane!

GvidoR wrote: »
    This is insane

Damn! That's dope.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

New track from Cunninlynguists featuring Aesop Rock and Sadistik. It's nice.

https://soundcloud.com/cunninlynguists/castles-f-aesop-rock-sadistik

New track from Cunninlynguists featuring Aesop Rock and Sadistik. It's nice.

https://soundcloud.com/cunninlynguists/castles-f-aesop-rock-sadistik

Saw this posted this morning and waited to get home from work to listen on a good system. Well worth the wait :D

• Advertisement

New Jay Electronica ft Jay Z. Act II is coming :eek:

https://www.soundcloud.com/cracktracks504/we-made-it-jay-z-x-jay

I don't believe this. Jay Electronica has released another song. This time Jigga is on it.

Two songs in a week from Jay Elec. Something must be happening with his album.

I don't believe this. Jay Electronica has released another song. This time Jigga is on it.

Two songs in a week from Jay Elec. Something must be happening with his album.

I wouldn't be surprised if the album comes out of nowhere one of these days ala Beyonce. Jay Z needs to do more features on Jay Elect tracks though, best verse I've heard from him in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

It's like Hov can't drop bars these days without at least four art references,
    I would love to collect [art] at some point, but I think the whole Rap/art world thing is getting kind of corny.
    Sorry Mrs. Drizzy for so much art talk
    Silly me rappin' 'bout **** that I really bought

Heh, heh.

Thats a decent track from electronica, jay's best verse in a while too. Rosenberg done his realness video on jay z pretty much being carried by kanye and beyonce the last few years.

I have to agree i said it when WTT was released that he was carried by kanye, jay's recent albums are so over hyped.

I hope drizzy drake respond though so jay can eat him alive, wonder what excuse drake will pull out of the hat ? im not a battle rapper, i dont beef, we'll f*ck the money up etc etc.

Snippets off the mobb deep album.

http://www.thisis50.com/profiles/blogs/mobb-deep-mobbdeep-infamous-mobb-deep-album-cover-double-disc

Track from Alc's new project with UK producer Budgie featuring Action Bronson, Blu & Domo Genesis. Domo is going to be a problem when he drops his debut album, every new feature he sounds better.

https://www.soundcloud.com/ofwgkta-official/alchemist-the-g-code-featuring

• Registered Users Posts: 17 markgisme

Any news on Redman + Method Man Blackout 3 album? Heard something was in the works.

markgisme wrote: »
    Any news on Redman + Method Man Blackout 3 album? Heard something was in the works.

no confirmed date, but in recent interviews talk is later this year. They are also making How High 2, so they may package it as a soundtrack to the movie or something like that.

CunninLynguists have put up their new album for free on bandcamp. They were going to release it for free at the end of the month but it leaked and they brought it forward.

http://cunninlynguists.bandcamp.com/album/strange-journey-volume-three

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Brendan Filone

The Mobb Deep album has leaked it, stream it here:

http://www.vibe.com/article/stream-mobb-deeps-new-album-infamous-mobb-deep

The second disk is the The Infamous Sessions from 1994 and includes the original version of ‘Eye For An Eye’ with a Ghostface verse on it.

Advertisement