Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip Hop 2014

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

MD1990 wrote: »
    Joey Badass is very boring.

How???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

Can't wait for this new Kendrick album, from this and i it sounds like it'll be nothing like GKMC and have more of a Section 80 vibe!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

That new track from Kendrick is amazing. i is also incredible. New album is shaping up real good.
    But, I think that he is going to get alot of backlash for the direction he is taking. Personally, I think he evolving greatly.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

slick video for the new Doomtree song Grey Duck

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    That new track from Kendrick is amazing. i is also incredible. New album is shaping up real good.
    But, I think that he is going to get alot of backlash for the direction he is taking. Personally, I think he evolving greatly.

Yeah it sounds like it's going to be his most experimental piece of work yet, reminds me of when Common dropped Electric Circus to an extent.

Agree about the backlash as well, I could see a major devide when he dropped i. Lot of people blasting him for making a "mainstream" record when it's not the case at all.

This Kendrick album could be the catalyst for a change in hip hop though, trap is starting to become stale and it's only a matter of time before a new sound takes over. A new Native Tongues or Soulquarians type movement would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,503 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Aw man Hopsin retired from rap

"I just wanted to take time out to say I appreciate all of u who have supported my music over these past few years. A Lot of u have told me stories about how I have changed your life. You too have changed mine in ways that u can never imagine. Unfortunately, tonight is the night that I am actually moving away to Australia. Over the past couple years I have come to conclusion that this profession just isn't for me, so im going to venture out into new areas of life. I will always be an MC at heart, but this rap stuff just isn't for me. I hope Youguys can respect it. I've signed over my half of the funk volume label to my business partner Dame. I also wished Swizzz, Dizzy Wright and Jarren Benton good luck in their careers. Thank u all! I'm out.

Sincerely,

Marcus Jamal Hopson aka "Hopsin"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Does anybody here listen to King Los?

The guy is incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Joey Badass is very boring.

Wow! How wrong can one person be? :P

What are the main albums of 2014 that I should get? I've fallen way behind due to work and find myself rocking the album "Ridin'" by Chamillionaire came from in my car at the moment. Help me out (with some free music/downloads, if possible).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

does kurrupt have a brain cell left in his head ? I like some of his older stuff, but he's a clown for this interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Wow! How wrong can one person be? :P

What are the main albums of 2014 that I should get? I've fallen way behind due to work and find myself rocking the album "Ridin'" by Chamillionaire came from in my car at the moment. Help me out (with some free music/downloads, if possible).
    :confused: What are u on about here? I hate childish response like this from buthurt fans of an artist.

There's no wrong or right in me thinking Joey Badass is boring. Music is subjective. I find Joey Badass flow boring. He lacks any sort of charisma imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

:confused: What are u on about here? I hate childish response like this from buthurt fans of an artist.

There's no wrong or right in me thinking Joey Badass is boring. Music is subjective. I find Joey Badass flow boring. He lacks any sort of charisma imo.

Where's the confusion? I haven't been able to keep up with the latest music because of work commitments, and I find myself listening to my old CDs/albums that are still brilliant, but I want something new.

Where's the confusion? I haven't been able to keep up with the latest music because of work commitments, and I find myself listening to my old CDs/albums that are still brilliant, but I want something new.
    :o I though u were being sarcastic. I havn't heard some of these but some highly rated albums are
    Pinata
    Run the Jewels 2
    My Krazy Life
    2014 Forrest Hills

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Ones I bought and enjoyed:

Cilvia demo
    Oxymoron
    2014 forrest hills drive
    These days

But looking at the list of albums released I missed loads:
    common,logic,sage,RTJ,YG,HS87,budden,ortiz,krit,lox,droog,wu,phryme,crooked,hrsmn,apathy,atmosphere
    and loads more

As a whole I think coles new album is bit over hyped, it's good though and well worth a listen. Some of the subject matter is great to hear, love yours is the standout track for me, he really hits the nail on the head with it.

T.I's latest album "paperwork" produced by pharell is also worth checking out, there's a few really nice cuts on it.

Oxymoron is good, but you'll probably soon tire of it, no real depth or replay value to it imo, but Q isn't kendrick.

Struggling to remember more albums in 14 that I really enjoyed.

As a whole I think coles new album is bit over hyped, it's good though and well worth a listen. Some of the subject matter is great to hear, love yours is the standout track for me, he really hits the nail on the head with it.

T.I's latest album "paperwork" produced by pharell is also worth checking out, there's a few really nice cuts on it.

Oxymoron is good, but you'll probably soon tire of it, no real depth or replay value to it imo, but Q isn't kendrick.

Struggling to remember more albums in 14 that I really enjoyed.
    Its a good album. But great albums usually have a few stand out songs. Cole's doesn't. Oxymoron was a disapointment H&C was better. I think Kendrick's new album will be great.

Cocaine Piñata is still the best album that came out for me. Easily my most played of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Cocaine Piñata is still the best album that came out for me. Easily my most played of the year.

agreed , listening to it now

any new acts in 2014 that has an old school vibe (ugly duckling, j5 , de la soul)

peteeeed wrote: »

any new acts in 2014 that has an old school vibe (ugly duckling, j5 , de la soul)

Joey Bada$$

Speaking of Joey Badass another track from the album came out! Already sounding like it'll be one of the best albums come this time next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

Genocide drops his new Album on 27th Dec ,
    you can pre order on www.genociderap.com been waiting for this ,

and canibus just announced new album for early Spring 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Listened to a fair chunk of A Better Tomorrow earlier on.

Can't say I was impressed. I don't think there's been any real progression. The production's gone in a new direction but the lyrics seem to be the same as ever. There's nothing on it to make it stand out as a massive release.

Joey dropped another track from the album, not sure it's the wisest move releasing so many, this is the 5th one I think. Mav Sabre feature.

https://www.soundcloud.com/proeraradio/on-on-feat-maverick-sabre-dyemond-lewis/s-phMo4

fabolous dropped a gem of an album last week.

Finally got around to listening to PRyme, and I really dig it.
    Went out for a run the other day and was enjoying it so much I ended up running way too far and listened to it a few times. Not good with all the Chrimbo turkey and Ham rattling around in my guts :)
    So it was a pleasant surprise to round off the year.

There were some excellent albums in 2014. But there were some real disappointments as well. Here's to 2015!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Only listened to that new (well old now) Grieves album and I really like it. Well worth a listen for those who haven't heard it. Here's my favourite track from it

Only listened to that new (well old now) Grieves album and I really like it. Well worth a listen for those who haven't heard it. Here's my favourite track from it

Yeah like that album alot, it took me a while to get into it because i was holding it to Together/Apart too much which is up there in my favourite albums of the last few years. Once I shook that off and started to listen to WTW properly is when I started to really dig it.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

there are some pretty decent albums from 2014 that people completely slept on , myself included , like the following

O.C twenty14
    Inspecktah deck - Cythia's son
    Yasiin Baye aka Mos Def - The Return Side 2
    Reks eyes watching God
    Cunninlyngist - Strange journey volume 3

• Advertisement
Advertisement