Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Badly cast movie and TV roles

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

syklops wrote: »
    The first couple of movies were crap but I dont think Daniel Radcliffe is to blame. The first guy playing Dumbledore was worse. Emma Watson in the first one was pretty bad too but did well later on. Radcliffe is great in "A Young Doctors Notebook". One of my favourite shows.

The first "guy" was Richard Harris & I think most people think he was not pretty bad to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Froggy123

BluesBerry wrote: »
    I didnt read all of the thread so forgive me if it has been mentioned already..

Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter just ruined it he has no charisma and cant fecking act they should have recast him :mad::mad:

I completely agree, can't emphasise with Daniel Radcliffe as Harry at all! Ron and hermione are both good though so it nearly makes up for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Gillian Anderson as Miss Havisham in the recent great expectations

Too you, with great skin, just no

Yeah, strange casting choices these days for Miss Havisham, Helena Bonham Carter was also too pretty for the role even though she pulls off being creepy really well.

She's written as a real ugly character in the book. Although she is in her 40s, someone at that age she'd would be far more weathered looking back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

Tom Hanks in the Da Vinci Code.

• Administrators Posts: 53,509 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

None of the Potter stars have really done anything since the last HP movie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

awec wrote: »
    None of the Potter stars have really done anything since the last HP movie.

The curse of being a child star.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Alexander is okay up to a point but then it's like someone has spiked your drink with a hallucinogen for the ending

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Another one for Colin Farrell in Miami Vice. Very little charisma between him and Foxx which kind of made it hard to believe that these two were Crockett and Tubbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Daqster

My top three, in descending order, for dramatic effect:

3)Toby Maguire as Spiderman.

Spiderboy maybe. But Spiderman? Ask my jacksy.

2) Russell fecking Crowe as Robin Hood?

What a joke. Fat git, midlife crisis Robin Hood, perhaps.

1) Elijah Wood as a football hooligan, reluctant or otherwise, major miscasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Tom Berenger in The Field, look at the camera when your acting god damn it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Daqster wrote: »
    My top three, in descending order, for dramatic effect:

3)Toby Maguire as Spiderman.

Spiderboy maybe. But Spiderman? Ask my jacksy.

2) Russell fecking Crowe as Robin Hood?

What a joke. Fat git, midlife crisis Robin Hood, perhaps.

1) Elijah Wood as a football hooligan, reluctant or otherwise, major miscasting.

I would have said his co star more than anything with his fake utter ****e cockney accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    On the other hand, Colm Meaney in any role where he's playing a non-Irish character (Die Hard 2, Con Air, Hell on Wheels). If you can't do an accent, just do what Sean Connery does - don't try.

Colm Meaney did a very convincing Yorkshire accent in his portrayal of Don Revie in The Damned United.

Also has nobody mentioned Tom Hanks' awful casting as Professor Robert Langdon in The Da Vinci Code / Angels And Demons?? Just bloody depressing how bad he is in it. I think Richard Gere would have been perfect for the role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

blade1 wrote: »
    Steven Seagal in everything.
    The most entertaining he ever was, was in Executive Decision, where he flew out of the plane near the start.

Ah he's just a Cook!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Steve Buscemi in The Sopranos. Not because he was bad but seemed out of place. Too big a name to bring into the middle of it. Didn't like the character or his weird kids either for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

major bill wrote: »
    I would have said his co star more than anything with his fake utter ****e cockney accent.

Its better than the fake American accent he puts on in Sons of Anarchy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

Fooking Jack Black in King Kong :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

For me, the worst ever is Keanu Reeves in Dangerous Liasons:

Possibly because it was so close to Bill & Ted, possibly because he was surrounded by some serious acting talent in Glenn Close and John Malkovich (amongst others), possibly because the film is so serious or possibly because of all of the above, but he is just brutal in this. Horribly miscast and the only flaw in an otherwise excellent production.

This is going to sound psychotic, but....

In general whenever I do a Google search of inexplicable casting choices in Hollywood, I nearly always discover the actor/actress in question is of Jewish extraction.

Examples of actors Hollywood is inexplicably trying to manufacture into "stars" by giving them every decent role going:
    Jonah Hill
    Shia Lebouf
    This new Wonderwoman actress, among others

+1

Seth Rogan, Jason Segal and their gang making Hollywood uglier. Don't get it, rubbish actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Joaquin223

Not necessarily that bad of a casting choice (I thought he was actually quite good), but to add to the whole bad-accents theme: Daniel Craig just giving up on his Swedish accent midway through The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was mystifying.

Robert Sheehan and Aiden Gillen were brutal for their roles in Love\Hate, just thrown into them because they're big name actors.

Finally, I'd add Travolta in The Taking of Pelham 123, Andrew McCarthy in Less Than Zero and Guy Pearce in Prometheus (Still confusing to me. Bar a few teaser trailers for the movie, he was wearing old-man prosthetics for the entire film! Why not just get an old actor to play the part!?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

ColeTrain wrote: »

American actors usually struggle when asked to do an Irish accent. It's like they try too hard.

I have a theory that American actors actually could do a convincing Irish accent (I mean, they have accent coaches) but because most American film-goers think Irish people speak in that affected, fiddly-dee, Leprechaun way, US films have to reflect this - that is, so American audiences don't think "what a shit Irish accent".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Brien wrote: »

When i read the thread title one actor came straight to mind: Linda Fiorentino in Dogma

Same here. It's alleged that the part was written for Joey Lauren Adams (of mallrats and chasing amy) who was kevin smiths girlfriend at the time, but had broken up by the time filming started.

If you watch the movie again you can imagine adams in the role very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

kryogen wrote: »
    Hugh Jackman in everything

Hugh Jackman is a brilliant actor. He's been in a few sh1t films but he's a great actor. I think he's a great Wolverine but besides that, in more "serious" acting roles he was amazing in Les Mis (I think people often dismiss acting in musicals, quite wrongly) and his best of all was Prisoners. He was so good in it.
    Controversial one.

I thought Julia Roberts did a fairly good Irish accent in MC (as flawless as foreign tryers go anyway!)

Her accent was as awful as her acting in that film! She should never ever have gotten the part- typical Hollywood pandering to the whole "big name on the poster" crap. It wasn't even a huge part so they could have easily given it to an Irish actress- and whilst it wasn't a huge part it was still important enough to be treated with respect. I hated Julia Roberts in it, made it hard to have sympathy for her at the end.

My choice is Kate Bosworth in Superman Returns. I know Brandon Routh wasn't great either, but Bosworth was a terrible Lois Lane. She was so dull and disinterested, there was no spark or moxy in her at all- Lois is supposed to have drive in her yet still be slightly vulnerable. I saw neither of those things in Bosworth.

I also didn't really like Carey Mulligan in the Great Gatsby. I can't really put my finger on exactly why but I just didn't believe her in the part.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Joaquin223 wrote: »
    Not necessarily that bad of a casting choice (I thought he was actually quite good), but to add to the whole bad-accents theme: Daniel Craig just giving up on his Swedish accent midway through The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was mystifying.

Well at least he made some effort in TGWTDT; in Defiance, none of the main cast (Craig, Liev Schrieber, Jamie Bell) make any effort at Belarussian/Russian accents at all. They could have said it an English war story and it would have made no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

How do we feel about Hugh Laurie's American accent in House?

cantdecide wrote: »

I was actually speaking to an American colleague about this and they were shocked to the point of disbelief that he was English. I showed him some old Blackadder and Jeeves and Wooster clips and he still couldn't get his head around it. So to Yanks away it must be convincing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

cantdecide wrote: »

How do you feel about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

syklops wrote: »
    How do you feel about it?

I'm a massive J&W and Blackadder fan and maybe it just grates on me but I always felt like it's not him speaking. Tbh, I can't get a feel for the accent but I definitely feel like his pitch is to high. It just doesn't go well in my brain!

Aside from that, he's great as House.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Ellen Paige in "Inception". I know she's a good actress and all but, because of the heavyweight calibre of the rest of the cast I thought she looked like a confused 12-year-old.

Stephen Lang in "Avatar": I mean basically he was playing Michael Beihn. So why not get Michael Beihn (I know. Cameron said he didn't want to put Weaver and Beihn in a film again.)

Katie Holmes in Batman Begins": See Ellen Paige in "Inception" above.

Phil Hartman's voice-over of Jij in "Kiki's Delivery Service" The cat was changed from a generally quiet but funny and cute female kitten to a brash and annoying male cat.

John Voigt in "The General". His accent straight from "Darby O'Gill". Terrible choice and only in there for financial reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

almighty1 wrote: »
    Fooking Jack Black in King Kong :mad:

That's actually the only role I ever liked him in. :pac:

Advertisement