Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Badly cast movie and TV roles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,221 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Bob Hoskins as Mario in 'Super Mario Brothers'!

Van Damme as Guile in 'Street Fighter'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Brien wrote: »
    Shia laboef is on boards!!!

You did not just call me Shia LeBeouf :eek: I have never been so insulted in my entire life! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Skerries wrote: »

can't believe nobody hs mentioned Nicolas Cage, he hasn't made anything good since Face/Off

Yes he has, Lord of War is a stunning film.

Bad Lieutenant and Kick Ass are good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

David Schwimmer ruining a good chunk of Band of Brothers.

Totally disagree. I thought he was excellent as Sobel. The character was a bastard, but there was nothing wrong with the acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I watched that Alexander film to see if it was as crap as people were making it out to be, it was.

But Oliver Stone was to blame for that, not Colin Farrell, who was only doing what he was told and is a much better actor than people give him credit for.

He has been in some awful ****e, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Yes he has, Lord of War is a stunning film.

Bad Lieutenant and Kick Ass are good too.

I'd add Matchstick Men to that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

cantdecide wrote: »
    Tom Cruise in War of the World.

WTFF like.

He was great in that but that's probably not a popular thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Gmol wrote: »
    He was great in that but that's probably not a popular thing to say.
    I like Tom Cruise. He's seems completely bonkers but is a good actor. Somewhat similar to Mel Gibson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 reginaflange

Every single role in Fair City!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Orlando Bloom in Kingdom of Heaven is the quintessential example for me. In all other aspects the film is decent and on a par with Gladiator. But take out Russell Crowe and put in the frail boyish Orlando Bloom and he becomes a blackhole of awfulness into which the rest of the film is sucked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Every single role in Fair City!

Think Fair City gets some unfair criticism on here....Home and Away imo is equally as ''bad'' but yet Irish Audiences love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 reginaflange

Ah Fair City is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

xXxkorixXx wrote: »
    tommy lee jones as twoface in batman forever was awful casting, as was val kilmer

I think Jones was hired to play a more serious Twoface but his ego got in the way and he didn't want Jim Carey to have all the fun. I saw an interview with him on youtube and apparently he improvised alot of stuff trying to keep up with Carey.

Val Kilmer could've been a better Batman if there was a better script/story in my opinion.
    thecatspjs wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure what you mean tbh. I haven't studied and don't know much about acting or film-making so I might be missing something?

I think he meant that the scripts in the newer Star War films were pretty lousy. The story had great potential but the script hampered that potential. Basically an actor cannot take all the blame for a bad performance.
    He was just Ross in a uniform.

He played the role very well, he was a whole other person in that show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭The Narrator

tvercetti wrote: »
    I'd add Matchstick Men to that list.

Adaptation also. Played two identical twin brothers who are vastly different characters. One of his best films imo. Immense performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Adaptation also. Played two identical twin brothers who are vastly different characters. One of his best films imo. Immense performance.
    The Wickerman remake is a comedic masterpiece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Evelyn Cusack

Gillian Anderson as Miss Havisham in the recent great expectations

Too you, with great skin, just no

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

major bill wrote: »
    Think Fair City gets some unfair criticism on here....Home and Away imo is equally as ''bad'' but yet Irish Audiences love it.

In fairness, home and away seems to produce a relatively high number of actors who later go on to have successful Hollywood careers. Can't imagine that happening for any of the stars of fair city.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

mikemac1 wrote: »
    John Wayne as Genghis Khan

That film was shot close by to a nuclear test site. They even used truckloads of dirt from the test site itself to use in other locations.

It's hypothesised that it's actually responsible for a number of deaths
    Dr. Robert Pendleton, professor of biology at the University of Utah, stated, "With these numbers, this case could qualify as an epidemic. The connection between fallout radiation and cancer in individual cases has been practically impossible to prove conclusively. But in a group this size you'd expect only 30-some cancers to develop. With 91, I think the tie-in to their exposure on the set of The Conqueror would hold up in a court of law." Indeed, several cast and crew members, as well as relatives of those who died, considered suing the government for negligence, claiming it knew more about the hazards in the area than it let on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Conqueror_%28film%29#Cancer_controversy

Such a bad movie that it literally killed people!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Leonardo di Caprio in Titanic. Should have put a more mature actor in.

I don't neccessarily think di Caprio was the problem. I think it was the pairing of him and Winslet.

Get off that little boy you big woman!!!!!!

I think they either needed a more mature (looking) actor as Jack or a younger (looking) / smaller Rose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    In fairness, home and away seems to produce a relatively high number of actors who later go on to have successful Hollywood careers. Can't imagine that happening for any of the stars of fair city.

Fair point but for every Heath Ledger you get a Darryl Braxton x10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Sofaspud wrote: »
    Except for Brad Pitt in Snatch.
    Julia Roberts in Michael Collins or in anything really, Eric Roberts is much better though, think Runaway Train (1980).

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Steven Seagal in everything.
    The most entertaining he ever was, was in Executive Decision, where he flew out of the plane near the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I like Tom Cruise. He's seems completely bonkers but is a good actor. Somewhat similar to Mel Gibson.

Unfortunately his persona clouds him in the minds of some people. His performance in Magnolia is right up there with the best. Also thought he was strong in Eyes Wide Shut.

Ryan Reynolds on the aftershave ads.

Every time I see it I think it's a p*ss take :)

blade1 wrote: »
    Steven Seagal in everything.
    The most entertaining he ever was, was in Executive Decision, where he flew out of the plane near the start.

Two words. Under Siege.

amdublin wrote: »
    I don't neccessarily think di Caprio was the problem. I think it was the pairing of him and Winslet.

Get off that little boy you big woman!!!!!!

I think they either needed a more mature (looking) actor as Jack or a younger (looking) / smaller Rose.

I think thats the problem. She was 21 when titanic was filmed but she could have easily passed for 25 or more. She didnt match Leo's boyish good looks. Considering she was the young girl being married off, it would have made more sense if she was 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

I didnt read all of the thread so forgive me if it has been mentioned already..

Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter just ruined it he has no charisma and cant fecking act they should have recast him :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

BluesBerry wrote: »

Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter just ruined it he has no charisma and cant fecking act they should have recast him :mad::mad:

Dont think they could have gotten away with recasting the role tbh. They were stuck with whatever kid they took a punt on.

I thought David Schwimmer was good as Sobel in Band of Brothers. He did initially come across a Ross in the first scene (to be expected given we all know him as Ross) but didnt take long to see it as a different character and he played it very well.

One I havent seen mentioned is Liam McIntyre taking over from Andy Whitfield in Spartacus. He was a terrible choice and it took him until the show was effectively over after 2 series with him as Spartacus to actually make the character his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭FreshKnickers

Jaysus this thread is making me realise how many movies I haven't seen!

• Advertisement

BluesBerry wrote: »

The first couple of movies were crap but I dont think Daniel Radcliffe is to blame. The first guy playing Dumbledore was worse. Emma Watson in the first one was pretty bad too but did well later on. Radcliffe is great in "A Young Doctors Notebook". One of my favourite shows.

Advertisement