Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Badly cast movie and TV roles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

One for the future....
    Ben Affleck as Batman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The guy who plays Hannibal in Hannibal the TV series. Im not saying he is a bad actor, but he is just totally wrong. I find it very difficult to believe that this guy is the same Hannibal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

Radiosonde wrote: »
    Popular opinion, BUT while Christensen is a mediocre actor at best he was handed one of the worst written roles in a major Hollywood movie ever. Nobody could have done anything with that character; the part is un-miscastable 'cause there's no such thing as good casting for such a poor part.

I'm not quite sure what you mean tbh. I haven't studied and don't know much about acting or film-making so I might be missing something?

I think it's quite a cool character with a lot of emotional conflict. I think someone like Heath Ledger might have been able to do the role better (not sure why exactly, but he was believable in every film I have seen him in).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

The lines written for the part were bad; Olivier couldn't have passed them off credibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

catallus wrote: »
    The lines written for the part were bad; Olivier couldn't have passed them off credibly.

Well, that's true enough. Those lines about the coarseness of sand make me ill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Tobey Maguire as Spiderman. Pathetic.

Henry Caville as Superman. Wooden and utterly devoid of charisma, all cheekbones and not much else. Makes Keanu Reeves look like Gary Oldman.

Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. About a foot too tall and just not a very convincing actor imo. The last two films were embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

syklops wrote: »
    The guy who plays Hannibal in Hannibal the TV series. Im not saying he is a bad actor, but he is just totally wrong. I find it very difficult to believe that this guy is the same Hannibal.

He certainly isn't a bad actor, Mads Mikkelsen is a really fine actor with a hugely impressive cv, I found his Hannibal to be different but at the same time entirely convincing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Sofaspud wrote: »
    Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher, whoever cast him obviously never read any of the books, or even a synopsis.

That's exactly what I was going to say. No friggen way is Tom Cruise Jack Reacher!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

syklops wrote: »
    No! No no no no! He's an absolutely terrific Hannibal, the way he plays him is very subdued, he's very believable as a manipulative serial killer. Far better than Hopkins in the latter movies, who dailed up the cheese so badly he turned his Hannibal into a pantomime villain. All he needed to do was have a twirly mustache and say "I'll get you yet! Mwuahahahaaa!"

I'd actually rate Mads and Brian Cox the best Hannibals, both different, but far less camp interpretations of the character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭lillycool

Robert Sheehan in Love/Hate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

lillycool wrote: »

He's the reason I've avoided that show, looks like he should be in One Direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

mosi wrote: »
    That movie is comedy gold though!

Miley Byrne was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

For the record it is Alexander the Deadly...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

I know, I quite like him in the role but I can certainly see how it'd be a problem. God bless his pretty seven stone wee self like, running around beating seven shades of sh1te out of people :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Wentworth Miller cast as a young Anthony Hopkins in The Human Stain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Links234 wrote: »
    No! No no no no! He's an absolutely terrific Hannibal, the way he plays him is very subdued, he's very believable as a manipulative serial killer. Far better than Hopkins in the latter movies, who dailed up the cheese so badly he turned his Hannibal into a pantomime villain. All he needed to do was have a twirly mustache and say "I'll get you yet! Mwuahahahaaa!"

That made me laugh - very good. :D

I think some actors make awful villains.

I saw a film a while back called The Minus Man, with Owen Wilson as a serial killer. Possibly the least credible villain ever. What were they thinking?

Morgan Freeman is a disaster as a bad guy also.

Going back into the history of miscast actors, 6'5'' white ex pro baseball player Chuck Connors played Geronimo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Vince Vaughan in the remake of Psycho.
    I find it very hard to take this guy seriosly. Probably because most of the films I've seen him in were comedies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

100% Agree. Robert Sheehan is a very good actor and I love the show but he was painful to watch in it.
    Maybe its because I watched Misfits and he was so perfectly cast in that, I could never take him seriously in L/H as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

8 years later, and I still think Paul Giamatti would have nailed that role.

+1 but......

Philip Seymour Hoffman maybe??? Could you imagine his delivery of the "beauty killed the beast" line? Would have been classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

Kristin Stewart in 100 days of summer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭The Narrator

Vince Vaughan in the remake of Psycho.
    I find it very hard to take this guy seriosly. Probably because most of the films I've seen him in were comedies

Vince Vaughan is badly cast in most things.

He has been phoning it in for years now making terrible films and pocketing massive paycheques.

Fred Claus - $20 million
    The Dilemma - $17.5 million

And he was doing well (Wedding Crashers, Dodgeball, Starsky & Hutch, Old School) up until he realised he could get massive amounts of cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭The Narrator

shane9689 wrote: »
    Kristin Stewart in 100 days of summer

There are numerous things wrong with this sentence guy. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 GoAheadCaller

I think Brian cranston didn't suit the role of Walter white in bb. Someone like Henry winkler or chevy chase would have suited the role much better

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Brien

Links234 wrote: »
    No! No no no no!

Shia laboef is on boards!!! I cannot hear / see all those no's without thinking of Shia. terrible actor in every way.

When i read the thread title one actor came straight to mind: Linda Fiorentino in Dogma and ordinary decent criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

cantdecide wrote: »
    You mean like Jonathan Rhys Meyers?

Exactly. He was pish in Bend it Like Beckham

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Clooney as Batman... Cruise as Lestat in Interview with the Vampire, oh and Ben Affleck in Daredevil but that was just crap movie no matter who played the part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Brien wrote: »
    Shia laboef is on boards!!! I cannot hear / see all those no's without thinking of Shia. terrible actor in every way.

When i read the thread title one actor came straight to mind: Linda Fiorentino in Dogma and ordinary decent criminal.

You pick Linda Fiorentino fro dogma, yet have no problem with little miss "one hand in my pocket" as god? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭burnhardlanger

Richard Pryor in Superman 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

tvercetti wrote: »
    100% Agree. Robert Sheehan is a very good actor and I love the show but he was painful to watch in it.
    Maybe its because I watched Misfits and he was so perfectly cast in that, I could never take him seriously in L/H as a result.

The guy that replaced him is far better. I always thought the character was supposed to be a charming pr*ck, where he seemed to be too unlikable to pull it off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

I watched the mini series. 'Death comes to pemberly', over Christmas and the actress who they got to play Elizabeth Bennett was too old and too plain to be convincing.
    Pity because it was a good series.

Advertisement