Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Of Kerry Charity Cycle 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 riorio

Looking for 2 entries if anyone out there needs to cancel. Many thanks. PM me please.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭dockc

Nmccd wrote: »
    Try the Killarney royal hotel. They had rooms for Friday night

Try castleross hotel - say on their website a room available for fri nite -

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭dockc

NewCorkLad wrote: »
    Any good breakfast tips for the morning

I usually go with porridge and fruit and make slice of homemade brown bread and tea in the morning. Be sure and eat little and often on the day and have something substantial in Caherciveen and Sneem or Kenmare. While its only 30km from Kenmare to Killarney its important to stop and refuel in Kenmare its not your typical 30km cycle thats left!

Eat as much "clean" foods this week high proten low fat - try stay away from takeaway and processed foods - i usually start the carb increase on Thursday and Friday.

Enjoy the day 6 years in a row now for me - and each year is as enjoyable as the last one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Can anyone recommend a light rain jacket from Chain Reaction Cycles that I could fold into my pocket when not needed? My current jackets are too bulky. If I order now I should have it in time...

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Second year this year. I had toast in the morning last year as it was so early unfortunately it didnt sit well with me. I might try the porriidge this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

dockc wrote: »
    Try castleross hotel - say on their website a room available for fri nite -

Thanks a mill for the heads up !!
    Got in there !! .... YAY :pac:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

J o e wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a light rain jacket from Chain Reaction Cycles that I could fold into my pocket when not needed? My current jackets are too bulky. If I order now I should have it in time...

Endura Pakajak's are excellent for carrying in a rear pocket. On the lower end pricewise but not the cheapest. Not breathable, but ideal for showers and stowing away again...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/s?q=endura+pakajak+jacket

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Any good breakfast tips for the morning

A full irish.

You may feel dirty after but it'll see you through!
    Worked for me the last few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

The stronger winds and rain seem to be shifting forward towards Sat evening and Sunday. Hopefully this trend continues.

Ireland - Killorglin Co Kerry

Ireland - Caherciveen

Ireland - Sneem

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

Whats the average amount of money you are supposed to raise? I feel I'm short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

Regarding ROK sponsor cards...
    As I'm doing several other charity sportives this summer, I havn't asked anyone to sponsor me for ROK, as people just get fed up being asked to fork out for charity, to the ssame person all the time.
    I, like most others, have paid my €70 to enter the ROK, however am I also expected to get sponsored on top of this and pay up more money?

Will it look bad if I just hand in a blank card on Saturday?

To be honest, one cant' continuously keeping asking their friends to sponsor them... surely my €70 is sufficient? My sponsor card is blank!

70 euro is the minimum or 100 euro if your cycling for the Red Cross

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

I didn't pay €70 to do the Ring, I just got my sponsorship card- I assume its fine once I give them €70- like an earlier poster said, its hard to keep asking people for money!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭ratracer

ruskin wrote: »
    I didn't pay €70 to do the Ring, I just got my sponsorship card- I assume its fine once I give them €70- like an earlier poster said, its hard to keep asking people for money!

As I did last year, I'm just writing €75 across the card and that's that. Can't be asking people for money just to fund my cycling habit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

lismore7 wrote: »
    Regarding ROK sponsor cards...
    As I'm doing several other charity sportives this summer, I havn't asked anyone to sponsor me for ROK, as people just get fed up being asked to fork out for charity, to the ssame person all the time.
    I, like most others, have paid my €70 to enter the ROK, however am I also expected to get sponsored on top of this and pay up more money?

Will it look bad if I just hand in a blank card on Saturday?

To be honest, one cant' continuously keeping asking their friends to sponsor them... surely my €70 is sufficient? My sponsor card is blank!

fill the card with cyclists names to the tune of €70 ... ;)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭borntobike

This is the reason we no longer do ROK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

In fairness it was a bit ridiculous going up to €70 this year. They raised €300,000 last year at €50 per cyclist. This obviously wasn't enough.

Like mentioned above, most cyclists paid the €50 themselves and cycled, because it's just not possible to keep asking the same people over and over.

If anyone is looking for accommodation, Brookfield House (B&B) have had some cancellations this week. It's a few km out of Killarney. Have a google for Joan's mobile number, I was having trouble getting through on her landline.

Found it, contact details here: https://guide-to-ireland.com/showdetails.php?id=2254

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

The girlfriend and I are doing it this year. Aiming to take it steady enough and enjoy it rather than killing ourselves plus she wouldn't be experienced in cycling in large groups. Anyone any suggestions on the best time to set off at?

Myself and the girlfriend were in the same position as you last year. We set off around 5 before the official start and took it easy. We had in problems with the crowds and enjoyed the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Myself and the girlfriend were in the same position as you last year. We set off around 5 before the official start and took it easy. We had in problems with the crowds and enjoyed the day

I was thinking of either 30 mins before or after official start :eek: Way to early for me, might just tell her to buck up ;)

I dont think everyone starts off at the same time they stagger everyone so the 30 mins after the start wouldnt work. Even 30mins before the start would be ok just set off from where ever in town dont get sucked into the start area if you want to avoid cycling in a crowd

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

you won't be cycling in a large group unless you have a large group with you in the first place. you will be cycling in a constant stream of cyclists, but if you want to cycle along with 10 feet of clear road and no-one long side you that's what will happen. watch the videos. it's not like the tour de france

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

I dont think everyone starts off at the same time they stagger everyone so the 30 mins after the start wouldnt work. Even 30mins before the start would be ok just set off from where ever in town dont get sucked into the start area if you want to avoid cycling in a crowd

If you go 30 minutes before the start (5:30), people are going to catch you within an hour. It's inevitable that no matter time you leave, you will be cycling with a group for at least the first 30-40km, at which point it begins to fizzle out slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Masala

Jeez..... 5am is very early.

Remember the Caherciveen food stop won't be open til close to 8am ... I reckon.

Also - I wouldn't expect that Stewards and Marshals will be in place either.... or that the roads would be 'closed' at that time. AND... would there be even people on the road with you at that time???? Seem overkill to me....

I'm planning on setting off at 7am or so.... I like a bit of a crowd around me... that's what the day is about.... as my teenage kids tell me .. its about 'the bant' !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

she wouldn't be experienced in cycling in large groups. Anyone any suggestions on the best time to set off at?

The road is busy with bikes but not that crowded. Your GF will be fine. I would also not think there is any point starting so early where you are by yourselves so just get up early, eat breakfast, get going when you are ready and enjoy the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

If it is windy then a large group would be very welcome! Planning to start about 7ish myself so as to get with a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Clip-Clop

I have one entry if anyone wants it? I will be leaving my €70 in the RoK pot but will look for whoever takes it over to donate the same amount to very worthy causes.

Entry would have to be picked up from Stoneybatter/Smithfield area in Dublin on Thursday

PM me if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Clip-Clop wrote: »
    I have one entry if anyone wants it? I will be leaving my €70 in the RoK pot but will look for whoever takes it over to donate the same amount to very worthy causes.

Entry would have to be picked up from Stoneybatter/Smithfield area in Dublin on Thursday

PM me if interested.

PM sent.....I've to make a call on it to confirm first as I need two..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭EaSwe

Is it possible to get up to the top of (or close to) Molls Gap via the R568 in a car on the day. Family wants to make sure we're alive and that seems like an alright spot if it's accessible or practicable

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement