Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Of Kerry Charity Cycle 2014

Options
  • 29-12-2013 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭

This thread was going to kick off sooner or later so here goes. Saturday the 5th of July is the date set for the 31st Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle. Last years cycle raised the huge amount of €1,151,217.
    Registration usually opens around St Patrick's day, it looks like numbers will be limited to around the 8,500 mark again, so get in early and avoid disappointment. The same applies to hotels and b+b's, it being July spaces won't last for long.
    No news yet regarding entrance fees so keep an eye on the official site for details.

http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/index.php

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/300052

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056776684

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

This thread was going to kick off sooner or later so here goes. Saturday the 5th of July is the date set for the 31st Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle. Last years cycle raised the huge amount of €1,151,217.
    Registration usually opens around St Patrick's day, it looks like numbers will be limited to around the 8,500 mark again, so get in early and avoid disappointment. The same applies to hotels and b+b's, it being July spaces won't last for long.
    No news yet regarding entrance fees so keep an eye on the official site for details.

http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/index.php

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/300052

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056776684

I will miss it next year unfortunately. I will be away and i'm gutted to miss a great day out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I did it 2 years ago but had too many bad experiences doing it, a small group of us does it the week after now and do our own charity for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

WikiHow wrote: »
    I did it 2 years ago but had too many bad experiences doing it, a small group of us does it the week after now and do our own charity for it.

Thinking about doing it this year. What were your bad experiences?

TonyStark wrote: »
    Thinking about doing it this year. What were your bad experiences?
    Too many team sky peloton wannabies blowing abuse to get out of the way thinking they are doing the tour de france, rubbish on the road everywhere and just generally overcrowding which led to a few accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Too many team sky peloton wannabies blowing abuse to get out of the way thinking they are doing the tour de france, rubbish on the road everywhere and just generally overcrowding which led to a few accidents.

There will be always a few w^^kers doing an event as big as the ROK. I had a problem with one or two riders weaving all over the road in 2012 and one incident where such an action almost knocked me off my bike. I do think there are too many people doing the event. The numbers doing it should be divided up over two days 4,000 Day 1 and 4,000 Day 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Iwernia

Or you could just leave an hour later. I did it this year with my wife and thought it was by far the best leisure event that I had ever attended. We cycled it like tourists, took in all the towns & villages and had a great day out finished with a great reception in Killarney. As for the w^^kers, they are part of every leisure event, let them on, they are what they are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Iwernia wrote: »
    Or you could just leave an hour later. I did it this year with my wife and thought it was by far the best leisure event that I had ever attended. We cycled it like tourists, took in all the towns & villages and had a great day out finished with a great reception in Killarney. As for the w^^kers, they are part of every leisure event, let them on, they are what they are.

A decent enough strategy, though you could spend your day stuck behind the droves of people moving at a snails pace, which could really suck the fun out of things.

There is some absolutely fantastic cycling to be had in that part of the country, and IMHO the ROK route manages to avoid nearly all of it. Planning on getting back to Sneem myself over the summer, but the only bits of the ROK route I'll be doing are those that take me to the nicer cycling routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

Started it an hour after the start time and had no issues with overcrowding really. Saw a few crashes alright but didnt noticed rubbish on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 KenDowling

Just hope the registration is better organised next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Watch out for documentary of the 2013 Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle. It will be featured on TG4 at 3pm on Sunday 19th of January 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Murphj7

8500 people is too much. 6000 should be max. Any agreeable with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Murphj7 wrote: »
    8500 people is too much. 6000 should be max. Any agreeable with me?

Nope. 8500 was grand with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

KenDowling wrote: »
    Just hope the registration is better organised next year

Registration last year was a massive improvement. You could register directly with one of the charities who posted out your bike tags and wrist band a few weeks before the event so no queuing up was needed in Killarney.

Grassey wrote: »
    Nope. 8500 was grand with me.

The view of bikes as far as you can see ahead and behind on some sections is just incredible and is there another event where you can cycle for nine hours and not be in the company of hundreds of others at all times no matter what your pace is.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭brownetara

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Registration last year was a massive improvement. You could register directly with one of the charities who posted out your bike tags and wrist band a few weeks before the event so no queuing up was needed in Killarney.

Which was fine if you were doing it for charity but I had to queue for over 2½ hours for my tags, not great preparation for a 180km cycle the next day!

brownetara wrote: »
    Which was fine if you were doing it for charity but I had to queue for over 2½ hours for my tags, not great preparation for a 180km cycle the next day!

I learned my lesson the hard way in 2012 (queuing in lashing rain) which is why I registered with a charity in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭brownetara

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I learned my lesson the hard way in 2012 (queuing in lashing rain) which is why I registered with a charity in 2013.

Yep, definitely the only way I would do it again! Oh well, you live and learn! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭borntobike

I would definitely give this a miss if you are a serious cyclist. It is far too messy with the numbers. The only two events I will bypass are the ROK and W200. There are too many good options out there. Also the local hoteliers hike up their prices far too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

borntobike wrote: »
    I would definitely give this a miss if you are a serious cyclist. It is far too messy with the numbers. The only two events I will bypass are the ROK and W200. There are too many good options out there. Also the local hoteliers hike up their prices far too much.

I enjoyed the day out previously and took it as it was , a social day out but don't think I'll bother with it again, the carry on with trying to charge so much last year left a bad taste in the mouth.

It was suggested last year to have the event for 2 days, one day for the leisure cyclists and the other day for groups/professional cyclists, this would be a good move to do for 2014 imo.

• Advertisement

I struggle to find anything wrong with this event. It is a national treasure sporting event in its 31st year that needs to be experienced to fully appreciate how great it is. For people reading this forum and who have never done it please ignore any negative comments! I am doing my 4th one this year and cannot wait and IMO there is no cycling sportive anywhere in Ireland as fun as this one.

These negative comments are a concern that alot of people share in the last few years of this event and are discouraging the leisure cyclist more and more, the 2 day event that was suggested would solve alot of these problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

did it for 1st time last year - the whole atmosphere of the day which I'd heard about so often is what convinced me to do it. the mixing of leisure and club cyclists together didn't bother me, I found alot of the club groups I ended up cycling along side for a while were great craic, would offer words of support and encouragement knowing I was obviously a beginner. I'd never manage to run a marathon (knees are wrecked) but was on such a high after doing ROK which I never in a million years thought I'd be capable of. I'm sure the feeling must be similiar to someone finishing their first marathon. there are more and more leisure cyclists doing the ROK now, not less I'd have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

These negative comments are a concern that alot of people share in the last few years of this event and are discouraging the leisure cyclist more and more, the 2 day event that was suggested would solve alot of these problems.

I'm sure it would be hard enough to get the right support of volunteers for a 2 day event.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,222 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

The ROK is a fantastic event. The only problem with it is the amount of "amateur" cyclists! It would be so much better if it was restricted to us "Real" cyclists!!

* relax! Im only messin! ;)

I'm sure it would be hard enough to get the right support of volunteers for a 2 day event.
    Pay the volunteers, it would be very easy to solve the logistics of making it a 2 day event.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,222 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Its a great event as it is..."if it ain't broken, don't fix it"!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,971 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It was suggested last year to have the event for 2 days, one day for the leisure cyclists and the other day for groups/professional cyclists, this would be a good move to do for 2014 imo.
    Would it not be easier to organise it like city marathons where the elite go first, followed by clubs followed by the general masses broken down by their estimated times etc.

Running it over 2 days would spoil the atmosphere IMO and apart from volunteers, I can't see the Gardai being up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Arleady looking forward to it this year. Did it for the first time last July and was great craic.

• Advertisement

Great event that I'm looking forward to but it's at the upper limit for how much I'd be willing to pay. I hope they don't increase the costs again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement