Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Of Kerry Charity Cycle 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Listrydude

this time next week......... Bring it on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭The Davestator

quick question for veterans! I'm doing this with my brother but he has almost no training done! Is there an option for him to join in with me for the last 40k or so or what would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭ratracer

quick question for veterans! I'm doing this with my brother but he has almost no training done! Is there an option for him to join in with me for the last 40k or so or what would you recommend?

If you could find any roads where he could join with you, however, after witnessing the sheer volume of cyclists last year I wouldn't recommend him cycling against the cycle to meet you. Perhaps he could get to kenmare and do the section through Molls gap and down to the finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Did 50k today not sure if that was a good or bad idea.

Won't touch the bike all week. Reckon I should be ok next week

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

Accuweather showing morning rain possibility 60% and gusts of 16-42km , I hope that changes in the coming days !! Especially the wind part ..anyone got a child of Prague ye cud throw out in the lawn for the week ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

I heard today that Gleneagle Hotel is doing an early-morning breakfast on the 5th July for €10 per head . AND .. it starts at 05.30am!

Other deals are:

1. Killarney Towers Hotel also doing breakfast from 5am for €9. Doing a Swim + Breakfast for €12.50 (Think that means the Swim is after the cycle!) They also offer a 1 x Hour Pool Visit for €5
    2. Aghadoe Heights doing a 4 course BBQ for €30pp. They also doing a Recovery treatment of massages for €95pp for 60 minutes

.. that's all for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭touts

Sikpupi wrote: »
    I heard today that Gleneagle Hotel is doing an early-morning breakfast on the 5th July for €10 per head . AND .. it starts at 05.30am!

Other deals are:

1. Killarney Towers Hotel also doing breakfast from 5am for €9. Doing a Swim + Breakfast for €12.50 (Think that means the Swim is after the cycle!) They also offer a 1 x Hour Pool Visit for €5
    2. Aghadoe Heights doing a 4 course BBQ for €30pp. They also doing a Recovery treatment of massages for €95pp for 60 minutes

.. that's all for now.

4 course BBQ for breakfast. That'll give us a clear run at the day :-)

Planning to do a 70k tomorrow morning and then drop the bike in for a service on Monday. Then ready or not it's the Ring next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 tartanarmy

Where do folk keep there bikes overnight. I'm staying down Fri & Sat. Is OK to take it to the hotel room.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭New2bike

tartanarmy wrote: »
    Where do folk keep there bikes overnight. I'm staying down Fri & Sat. Is OK to take it to the hotel room.
    Good question I'm doing the same and was wondering what to do don't want to take it apart and put in the boot everytime I do that it cases a problem with the rear derailleur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭tuch

Still a lot of accommodation available in Killarney for Ring of Kerry weekend and room rates are continuing to fall.
    Many of these hotels were after €500 - €600 a night a few weeks ago.
    Hotels with availability include

Killarney Lake €270 per night
    Fairview €350 per night
    Brehon €220 per night
    Killarney Park €320 per night
    Murphys €175 per night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Speedmerchant

hi
    anyone have a spare entry?
    open to moderate profiteering if required.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Most places have either a room put aside or a safe area in their back yard for bikes, best to contact them beforehand or when you arrive and you'll be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Vivienne23 wrote: »
    Accuweather showing morning rain possibility 60% and gusts of 16-42km , I hope that changes in the coming days !! Especially the wind part ..anyone got a child of Prague ye cud throw out in the lawn for the week ??

16km/h is feck all! Anything under 25-30km/h wouldn't be too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭eoz

This time next week sore legs and sore heads:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Hi there
    Apologies.
    The sachets given out last year were to be mixed in a 500 - 750 ml bottle of water and drank during the event to replenish your electrolytes.

Sikpupi wrote: »
    Hey BlahBlah....I took u up last year but as you were busy - I didn't get the chance to ask you what to do with them?? And the find out what they actually do!

So... will you explain what the Sacket stuff is for? When do I take it...before or during the ride???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

It will depend on your hotel. Some just tell you to bring to your room, others will tag the bike and store in a secure room. Regardless all hotels will a have a plan for all the bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Left Field

I have a spare entry for anyone who's interested? Bit of a mix up in that I registered myself and someone else in the group I'm with registered me separately with one of the charities as well. Face value, first come first served!

Gone now, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Left Field wrote: »
    I have a spare entry for anyone who's interested? Bit of a mix up in that I registered myself and someone else in the group I'm with registered me separately with one of the charities as well. Face value, first come first served!

How is this still here :eek:. I'd take it but I'll be away.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Nmccd

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    How is this still here :eek:. I'd take it but I'll be away.

Yes please! My no is <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭touts

Weather for next weekend. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91059293&postcount=3362

I'd say many of us will be watching MT's forecasts intently for the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

tuch wrote: »
    Still a lot of accommodation available in Killarney for Ring of Kerry weekend and room rates are continuing to fall.
    Many of these hotels were after €500 - €600 a night a few weeks ago.
    Hotels with availability include

Killarney Lake €270 per night
    Fairview €350 per night
    Brehon €220 per night
    Killarney Park €320 per night
    Murphys €175 per night

missed your last post about where you were seeing the prices, but just to say;

if you're seeing these on a booking.com or the a website like that, it is not necessarily the hotel setting the price, it's the site you are looking at. typically the hotels sell a block of rooms to online vendors at a reduced price well in advance, the online guys are then free to sell for whatever they like. this means sometimes the rooms are cheaper, but in times like this, the sites can charge way above the hotels rates, even more so if the hotel is sold out. the really scary bit is when these guys sell rooms they don't have and you show up at the hotel with a booking for a room that isn't there, as has happened.

it's not fair to take prices from a third party then bash the hotels, that's like blaming the band because you paid the tout 4x the price on the ticket.

if you;re seeing these same prices on the hotel websites then bash away, but the hotels can;t be responsible for what an unrelated third party do with their prices. unless they had some condition included in the sale of the rooms to the online vendors in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

What do you bring on the cycle?
    This is my first cycle event so I plan on bringing the following.

Wearing, cycling top and shorts, helmet, and glasses.
    Carrying, spare tube, puncture repair kit, pump, 2 water bottles, phone. I will also bring a number snacks, and dioralytes and some money for buying food along the way.

Is there anything I am missing out? Do you bring waterproof jackets etc.?
    Thanks for your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 willya

Carrying, spare tube, puncture repair kit, pump, 2 water bottles, phone. I will also bring a number snacks, and dioralytes and some money for buying food along the way.

Thanks for your advice.

+1

My first ROK also, I'm looking at bringing pretty much the same (2 tubes and CO2 is my preference to the pump and repair kit). As well as leg warmers.
    And waiting on the weather in the morning to make a call on the jacket.
    It's a pain to have it stuck in the back packet if it is not need!

Do you bring waterproof jackets etc.?
    Thanks for your advice.

Yes, given the current forecast.
    willya wrote: »
    As well as leg warmers.

Unless you're a generally cold creature, there's really no reason to bring leg warmers. Even if it's raining, it won't be cold. And wet leg warmers are no good to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Thanks for your advice.

do not forget your cycling gloves!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Too late to order from wiggle, any suggestions on a cheap (<30e) waterproof jacket?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Thanks for your advice.
    If you're using both bottles just for water then one is enough as there are water bottles everywhere on the ROK.

jon1981 wrote: »
    Too late to order from wiggle, any suggestions on a cheap (<30e) waterproof jacket?

Northwind make decent jackets, probably get one at your local shop for €30-40.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 banner08

Anyone out there with a spare entry I'd really appreciate one.
    Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

forecast is for a warm day
    your just gonna sweat inside a waterproof jacket

better option might be a gilet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement