Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Of Kerry Charity Cycle 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Any noob advice for cycling this week?

I haven't trained as much as planned with mostly 30-55km cycles with some good hill climbing mixed in but no long cycles. Intend to take it easy on Saturday and am generally very comfortable at a handy average pace (~22km/hr) so hope to sustain it over the day with a couple of breaks.

Should I push for a longer cycle today and rest? Or do a daily short cycle each day? Got out for a very comfortably paced 30km last night with 241m climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

J o e wrote: »
    Any noob advice for cycling this week?

I haven't trained as much as planned with mostly 30-55km cycles with some good hill climbing mixed in but no long cycles. Intend to take it easy on Saturday and am generally very comfortable at a handy average pace (~22km/hr) so hope to sustain it over the day with a couple of breaks.

Should I push for a longer cycle today and rest? Or do a daily short cycle each day? Got out for a very comfortably paced 30km last night with 241m climbing.

too late in the day my friend

chillax and do your normal thing. eat and get rest. it's due to rain on Saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    too late in the day my friend

I'm not trying to increase my fitness at this stage but wondering what's best practice in the days before a big cycle. No cycling until Sat? Few easy cycles?

[Edit: Actually I suppose the suggested long cycle this evening would have been to boost fitness, so yeah prob too late for that.]

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Im planning on doing a slow 50km this evening and then legs up for the week

cycle, always cycle. always keep the legs ticking over especially as you get older as they clam up more with any break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 rebelnag

Any spare registration going? Pretty please.....
    Will top up registration to your suggested charity.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The Scratcher

Any recommendations on padded shorts? total noooooob here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

go to tk max and get a cheap old pair or get a decent paid in ay bike shop, not cheap. if you don't have specific chamois cream, lather yourself in vaseline around the groin if you're a complete newbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 banner08

Looking for 1 entry to ring of kerry anyone looking to sell I would appreciate a call

Thanks very much.

Sorted for an entry. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The Scratcher

Just dropped 150 on the credit card.... better put it away now!

Got funkie bibs and a lovely yellow jersey so people know I mean business! see ye for brack and tea lads!

Edit: Also got a pakajak, thanks for the recommendations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    go to tk max and get a cheap old pair or get a decent paid in ay bike shop, not cheap. if you don't have specific chamois cream, lather yourself in vaseline around the groin if you're a complete newbie.

Talcum powder might be a better option than vaseline if its going to be warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭ratracer

Just dropped 150 on the credit card.... better put it away now!

Got funkie bibs and a lovely yellow jersey so people know I mean business! see ye for brack and tea lads!

Edit: Also got a pakajak, thanks for the recommendations!

Howya FRED!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Stollaire

Talcum powder might be a better option than vaseline if its going to be warm.

Warm probably won't be a problem; weather looks to turn sour just in time for the ROK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Hoping it will stay dry for the event! Here is the latest weather forecast for Killarney.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/ie/killarney/209441/daily-weather-forecast/209441?day=5

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Where exactly are the food stops?

Last year I couldn't find either of them :o

Is Cahirsiveen after you go through the town, on the outside of the village on the right in some school/hall?

Where is the one in Kenmare?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Jovetic wrote: »
    Where exactly are the food stops?

Last year I couldn't find either of them :o

Is Cahirsiveen after you go through thof signage inhe outside of the village on the right in some school/hall?

Where is the one in Kenmare?

Yes the one in Cahersiveen is at the end of the town on the right, in Kenmare it's towards the town but you are sent left, there will be plenty of stewards and signage on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

The one in Cahirsiveen is just beyond the town and to the right.....kenmare is a bit more out of the way and you have to cycle through the town to actually get to it (well worth it though)

Street view for Cahirsiveen : https://www.google.com/maps/@51.939789,-10.238469,3a,75y,263.66h,82.1t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1shCyOtw8dFTRX59M04Vcbzg!2e0

Street view for Kenmare:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@51.881859,-9.582452,3a,75y,322.76h,83.73t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s46rbRkMHxp0C2Jz_WajYGw!2e0

....with directions :)
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/51.8819956,-9.5823554/51.883049,-9.5926781/@51.8823525,-9.59187,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m4!4m3!1m0!1m0!3e1

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

The first petrol station in Cahirsiveen was packed last year so I presumed that was it :o

Reckon I'll leave at 6am, hope to be back early for the World Cup at 5pm

• Registered Users Posts: 6 banner08

Anyone out there with a spare entry I'd really appreciate one.
    Thanks in advance.

Sorted for an entry thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

Friend has had to drop out at last minute. 1 registration available. PM me if interested. Will reply first thing tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Nmccd

greenspurs wrote: »
    The prices being asked are scandalous !! Such a rip off by the hotels..
    anyone know of ANYWHERE to stay in Killarney for the Friday night... (Im not paying €200-300 for that!!)

Try the Killarney royal hotel. They had rooms for Friday night

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Nmccd

greenspurs wrote: »
    The prices being asked are scandalous !! Such a rip off by the hotels..
    anyone know of ANYWHERE to stay in Killarney for the Friday night... (Im not paying €200-300 for that!!)

Try the Killarney royal hotel. They have a room for friday night and 3 for saturday night - late cancellations

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

AlfaZen wrote: »
    Friend has had to drop out at last minute. 1 registration available. PM me if interested. Will reply first thing tomorrow.

Registration taken by a Boards user. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Stollaire wrote: »
    Warm probably won't be a problem; weather looks to turn sour just in time for the ROK.

It's not supposed to be as bad as originally forecasted. It's not going to be that cold anyway, it'll be at least 17-18 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭casion3

It's not supposed to be as bad as originally forecasted. It's not going to be that cold anyway, it'll be at least 17-18 degrees.

Looking for one entry, if anybody has one pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭kod12

Noob to the ROK. Just a few diet questions if anyone has tips. When is the right day to start carbing up and what type of foods should you be taking on. I have done a 100km spin for training and found the last 30k or so tough regarding energy levels.

Any recommeneded electrolyte drinks/ carb gels as a boost for the day

Any advice greatly appreciated lets hope the rain holds off

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Any good breakfast tips for the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I'm a noob to the ROK myself, but do some long spins. In my opinion, it depends how you you approach it;

If you want to do a good time, you'll need to take on xx calories per hour to keep the energy. (for me, i take 100 cals every 20 minutes)

If you want to enjoy it, chat, enjoy the scenery, then just eat food along the way and maybe a cafeine gel towards the second half / end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

kod12 wrote: »
    Noob to the ROK. Just a few diet questions if anyone has tips. When is the right day to start carbing up and what type of foods should you be taking on. I have done a 100km spin for training and found the last 30k or so tough regarding energy levels.
    Usually the day before any long event is fine.
    kod12 wrote: »
    Any recommeneded electrolyte drinks/ carb gels as a boost for the day

Absolutely no. Not recommended to try new drinks or gels now so close to or on the event itself because they mightn't agree with you, which could mean not starting and/or finishing the event.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement