Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Of Kerry Charity Cycle 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

You can get to the top via the gap of dunloe and black valley road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

You can get to the top via the gap of dunloe and black valley road.

You can't drive on the Gap of Dunloe. I'd avoid the areas as a whole in a car, have you looked a the road closures?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

EaSwe wrote: »
    Is it possible to get up to the top of (or close to) Molls Gap via the R568 in a car on the day. Family wants to make sure we're alive and that seems like an alright spot if it's accessible or practicable

They can get to Molls gap from Sneem but getting to Sneem could be difficult. If they want to meet you Kenmare is best choice as you can get to Kenmare from Killarney via Kilgarvan handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

funkyjebus wrote: »
    You can't drive on the Gap of Dunloe. I'd avoid the areas as a whole in a car, have you looked a the road closures?

The Gap of Dunloe/Black Valley road is a public road, I've driven it many times. If you wanted a longer drive then you can also go via Ballaghbeama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

funkyjebus wrote: »

You can, it's only the Jarvies who tell people they can't drive up it so they'll take a jaunting car trip instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Jemm

First ROK for me and there's some rain forecast..I'll be bringing a rain jacket but any other advice? I don't have waterproof pants/shoes, wear shorts as leggings might get heavy?

Jemm wrote: »
    First ROK for me and there's some rain forecast..I'll be bringing a rain jacket but any other advice? I don't have waterproof pants/shoes, wear shorts as leggings might get heavy?

If it is mid teens, I'd wear jersey, shorts, bring a rain jacket and to keep warm I'd HTFU!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sunnysider

My friend and I are doing the ROK for the first time this year. We are not v fit but have done lots of cycles including a few 80-100km ones. We are v slow and always end up averaging at about 15-18 kms per hour! Will we be like two eejits with all the pros?! We plan to leave at 5. Do u just stay into the left so that people can pass u out?am a bit nervous of the crowds!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Sunnysider wrote: »
    My friend and I are doing the ROK for the first time this year. We are not v fit but have done lots of cycles including a few 80-100km ones. We are v slow and always end up averaging at about 15-18 kms per hour! Will we be like two eejits with all the pros?! We plan to leave at 5. Do u just stay into the left so that people can pass u out?am a bit nervous of the crowds!

You will absolutely not be the slowest. Many people take the entire day to do it, because they're in it for the day out.

Regarding keeping in to the left, yes, please do. Like I always say, cycle the ROK like you'd drive it (as in, keep the same general rules of the road).

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

I love how people say go at your own pace, take it all in and enjoy the day.

Then come in here next week and say I got it done in 5hr45, what was your time? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Jovetic wrote: »

Then come in here next week and say I got it done in 5hr45, what was your time? :rolleyes:

Well I guess they went at their own pace :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Different strokes for different folks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Different strokes for different folks.

exactly, that's easy casual pace for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Nedkelly24

any word on the rain??

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Derry247

I have 2 registrations and it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to use them (my friend can't make it, and I'm not pushed about doing it on my own) I'm in cork city and I have the wrist bands and entry numbers collected. PM me if interested. €70 donation to Valentia community centre for each registration.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Nedkelly24 wrote: »
    any word on the rain??

looking like showers only, but they could be heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Nedkelly24 wrote: »
    any word on the rain??

There will be rain but at moment looks like later in day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Two friends and I are doing the RoK.
    We are starting at 6.00am sharp.
    We intend completing the cycle in about 5.45 moving time. Average speed about 30kph.
    We will stop at the first food stop.
    We won't be stopping for ice cream or pints.
    If anybody is interested in joining us, please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

I'm also starting at 6am, there thereabouts.
    Stopping at Cahirsiveen and Kenmare for grub.
    Stopping in Waterville, Sneem and Kenmare for ice cream.
    Probably about 22/23 kmph
    Have to be back before 5pm for Lionel Messi

Edit: and stopping every 20 mins for a toilet break :o

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭New2bike

I'll be heading at about 6.30 breakfast seems to served in most hotels from 5am and will average about 25kph plan about 7hrs moving time and about 1 hr for stops(hopefully) so aiming for 2.30/3.00pm finish back in plenty of time for the World Cup and post ride recovery( pints) drinks if that suits anybody your more than welcome to join!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

I'm also starting at 6am, there thereabouts.
    Stopping at Cahirsiveen and Kenmare for grub.
    Stopping in Waterville, Sneem and Kenmare for ice cream.
    Probably about 22/23 kmph
    Have to be back before 5pm for Lionel Messi

Edit: and stopping every 20 mins for a toilet break :o

That sounds similar to me..... (including ice cream, Messi & toilet breaks) :D
    I'm also around 22 kph and will also avail of all stops + ice cream !! if available.
    Probably start around 6am ish.
    Tis my 1st ROK and plan to enjoy it and have the criac.
    Staying in Scotts hotel for the weekend, to soak up the atmos & pints!!
    Anyone fall into the above bracket and looking to make up a group, let me know...as it looks like it will be windy, so cycling in a group will save allot of suffering.....

Derry247 wrote: »
    I have 2 registrations and it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to use them (my friend can't make it, and I'm not pushed about doing it on my own) I'm in cork city and I have the wrist bands and entry numbers collected. PM me if interested. €70 donation to Valentia community centre for each registration.

Pm sent. I'll be in Cork this evening and I'd take those please if I may

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Derry247 wrote: »
    I have 2 registrations [...] PM me if interested [...]
    PM sent at 23:40 last night - please reply if they're still available :)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The Scratcher

Pm sent at 23.20!

23.19!!!!!!!!!! EXCLAMATION MARK

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I suggest an auction with the winner being the person who offers the most to Valentia community centre!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Quick question lads: I've managed to get a registration from a friend. I gave him €70 but he gave me his sponsorship card which I need to sign in, but is blank. It still cost €70 to register even if you took a sponsorship card correct? It's a bit late in the day for me to get further sponsorship, but if the €70 I gave him is still in the RoK pot I don't mind handing in an empty card. Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

Quick question lads: I've managed to get a registration from a friend. I gave him €70 but he gave me his sponsorship card which I need to sign in, but is blank. It still cost €70 to register even if you took a sponsorship card correct? It's a bit late in the day for me to get further sponsorship, but if the €70 I gave him is still in the RoK pot I don't mind handing in an empty card. Cheers

I got a sponsorship card and didn't have to pay €70 at all- Im just drawing a line through my card and writing €70 and paying them myself.
    Where does it say €70 must be paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

Can someone else collect your bike tag on your behalf? Is this allowed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

ruskin wrote: »
    I got a sponsorship card and didn't have to pay €70 at all- Im just drawing a line through my card and writing €70 and paying them myself.
    Where does it say €70 must be paid?

Hmmm, last year I paid €60 and just got a receipt with barcode emailed to me (no sponsorship). I thought the way it worked was that you could either pay the entrance fee yourself with no sponsorship card or you could pay the fee, get a card and offset the entry fee against what you collected. Either that or I've given him €70 for no reason!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement