Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Of Kerry Charity Cycle 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

So its that time again lads.

Anybody that comes to the Bbb and high 5 stand and asks for BlahBlah and mentions boards.ie gets some freebies...

Make yourself known

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

Anybody that comes to the Bbb and high 5 stand and asks for BlahBlah and mentions boards.ie gets some freebies...

Hey BlahBlah....I took u up last year but as you were busy - I didn't get the chance to ask you what to do with them?? And the find out what they actually do!

So... will you explain what the Sacket stuff is for? When do I take it...before or during the ride???

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The Scratcher

Hi

I'm looking for 1 ticket, please!!!! Is anyone selling theirs? I'm In dire straits!

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Just in case you do not follow ROK on Facebook - Some useful info posted today about parking and access.
    IMPORTANT INFORMATION RE PARKING ARRANGEMENTS FOR ROK CHARITY CYCLE
    Designated free parking for cyclists is available from 5am July 5th as follows to various locations which are all within 800 metres of Start /Finish Line. All locations are designed for ease of access and more importantly for ease of exiting Killarney when you have completed your cycle.
    1. Traffic arriving from South Kerry via Killorglin will be directed via Hans Liebherr Road to Rugby Club field on the By Pass.
    2. Traffic arriving from North Kerry /Tralee/ Limerick will be diverted to the left 1.5km before Killarney, detouring to Paddy Mc McCarthy’s field which is located just off By Pass, only 700 metres from start.
    3. Traffic arriving from Rathmore /Mallow / Cork will be directed to a) Lyne's Circus Field off Park Road and b) Ballycasheen School.
    4. Traffic coming from Muckross / Kenmare / West Cork will be directed to O' Sheas Field at Flesk Bridge.
    5. For those people staying overnight in Killarney on July 4th we strongly recommend that you leave you car at your accommodation and cycle to the Start.
    Additionally there will be free parking all day Friday and Saturday exclusively for spectators and those attending expo and kids event ' pedal in the park ' at cathedral field , port road approx 250 metres from finish area . ....please note this parking is not available until 8am each day.
    NB Important that you note the name of the car park which you use , as , you will certainly feel tired and everything will look different when returning after you have completed your 180 km cycle !!!!!
    • Please obey the gardai and volunteer stewards.
    • Follow the directional signage.
    • All vechicles are parked at your own risk.
    • Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle is not responsible for any loss or damage to your property.
    • We hope you have a safe and rewarding day supporting very worthwhile charities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

Desperate for a ticket too for gf here!

• Advertisement

some more details from ROK organizers.

timetable.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

I wish they brought the finish back out to the Gleneagle...was a far better atmosphere out there IMO, compared to in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,978 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Apologies if this has already been answered already - are there showering or even changing facilities at the end?

(I don't fancy driving back to Dublin that afternoon in sweaty lycra).

Apologies if this has already been answered already - are there showering or even changing facilities at the end?

nothing on the FAQ about any available.

I know you can pay a very small fee to use the showers (and pool) at the Gleneagles leisure center after the event.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

know anyone staying in a hotel?

i stayed after the event last year, but driving home this year. probably just change out of the gear and drive, grab a shower at home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Any amateur cyclists remember their estimate time for completion last year?

Its my first RoK, is it best to start as early as possible 8:00/8:30am or what?

What the average completion time for someone stopping a number of times?

logik wrote: »
    Any amateur cyclists remember their estimate time for completion last year?

Its my first RoK, is it best to start as early as possible 8:00/8:30am or what?

What the average completion time for someone stopping a number of times?

8:00/8:30am would be a late start I believe.

Work it out - say 23km/hour and maybe 90 mins of stops with a total distance of 172kms. So 9 hours from start to end if you are taking it nice and easy.

BailMeOut wrote: »

Work it out - say 23km/hour and maybe 90 mins of stops with a total distance of 172kms. So 9 hours from start to end if you are taking it nice and easy.

Oh, I thought the earliest you could start was 8am. I would be looking to start as soon as possible.

Oh, I thought the earliest you could start was 8am. I would be looking to start as soon as possible.

The road is closed from 6am so anytime after that is good. 7:30am is the official start.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

see the flyer above, can officially start from 6am

you can unofficially start whenever you want. be on the road at 5am if you want

we arrived at the start line just as the officially start was taking place last year at 7.30 so hung around for it. i'd keep going this year

mossym wrote: »
    see the flyer above, can officially start from 6am

you can unofficially start whenever you want. be on the road at 5am if you want

we arrived at the start line just as the officially start was taking place last year at 7.30 so hung around for it. i'd keep going this year

Great, thanks guys. Looking forward to this. All we need now is a half decent day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 willya

BailMeOut wrote: »

Its my first time doing it this year.
    My plan is to start at the official start time 7:30, I'm on my own so was thinking this is when the largest amount of people will start (best atmosphere, etc.) also so aiming to be in or around a large group to get some encouragement/make some friends for the day and stick to good solid pace.

Time wise from based on my training I was aiming to start start 7:30 and finish somewhere between 16:00 - 17:00.
    I'm hoping to only stop at the food stops 30 mins each and stay going for the rest of it. I may be over confident, but time will tell!

From what I understand there is an ice cream stop in Sneem and I am partial to a 99! So that could be an unplanned stop. And Moll's gap looks like it could test my 'only food stops' plan.
    Do people normally make more stops than just the food stops, I'm guessing there are people who stop in every town along the way but is there a standard number of places the average ROK'er would stop outside the food stops.

My aim would be just the food stops but I'm going to enjoy the day first and put in a good ride also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

I think it's very common for people to stop at the top of Coomakista and Molls Gap. There should be water stops there and you can refill your bottles and have a breather. Probably be able to get a banana or something as well. There's no shortage of food on the RoK.

And brack. Mmm brack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Great, thanks guys. Looking forward to this. All we need now is a half decent day.

That's it . Hex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,978 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

willya wrote: »
    Its my first time doing it this year.
    My plan is to start at the official start time 7:30, I'm on my own so was thinking this is when the largest amount of people will start (best atmosphere, etc.) also so aiming to be in or around a large group to get some encouragement/make some friends for the day and stick to good solid pace.

Time wise from based on my training I was aiming to start start 7:30 and finish somewhere between 16:00 - 17:00.
    I'm hoping to only stop at the food stops 30 mins each and stay going for the rest of it. I may be over confident, but time will tell!

From what I understand there is an ice cream stop in Sneem and I am partial to a 99! So that could be an unplanned stop. And Moll's gap looks like it could test my 'only food stops' plan.
    Do people normally make more stops than just the food stops, I'm guessing there are people who stop in every town along the way but is there a standard number of places the average ROK'er would stop outside the food stops.

My aim would be just the food stops but I'm going to enjoy the day first and put in a good ride also.
    Starting with a very large amount of others is likely to hinder your progress rather than give you a 'good solid pace'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

I wish they brought the finish back out to the Gleneagle...was a far better atmosphere out there IMO, compared to in the town.

No no no. Must vociferously disagree with you. Better craic in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Nmccd

Axel Lamp wrote: »

I would vote for town finish also....the buzz last year was brilliant....the Glen was too spread out... IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Nmccd

Axel Lamp wrote: »

I would vote for town finish also....the buzz last year was brilliant....the Glen was too spread out... IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭Masala

Ya... Town finish for me as well gets my vote. Loads of room.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    That's it . Hex.

After last years weather, one can hope :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mpg67

Hi Folks,
    I am looking for a late entry to ROK. Does anyone have one or know of someone who is pulling out? Naturally I will pay.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I fecked my knee last night overdoing it on Howth hill and now its the size of a mellon.......Had the pleasure of A&E last night and a long layoff will be required so no ROK for me this year:mad:

Anyway I have a ROK entry going spare now, if any regular knows someone needy please PM. Cost is €70 to me plus proof of an additional donation to one of the ROK charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭willabur

krissovo wrote: »
    I fecked my knee last night overdoing it on Howth hill and now its the size of a mellon.......Had the pleasure of A&E last night and a long layoff will be required so no ROK for me this year:mad:

Anyway I have a ROK entry going spare now, if any regular knows someone needy please PM. Cost is €70 to me plus proof of an additional donation to one of the ROK charities.

bad luck man, will take the reg off you if its still free, sent you a pm there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I've a friend who wants to do the cycle and another friend who is registered but can't do it.
    They went for option 1 and so got their registration number in email however never received the sponsorship card in the post. The card has the bar code. Can my friend just use the number to get the bike tag or will they need the card with the bar code?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement