Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was on a korean game show!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

i saw ghost shell being recommended to me on netflix alright but never bothered to watch it, also watched some sort of angel and demons series with my ex before, where these people can turn into unisex angels, to be honest i didnt find that series very good though

congrats on the show btw aob, sorry about side tracking your thread haha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Is cailín álainn thú OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭aob85

shane9689 wrote: »
    i saw ghost shell being recommended to me on netflix alright but never bothered to watch it, also watched some sort of angel and demons series with my ex before, where these people can turn into unisex angels, to be honest i didnt find that series very good though

congrats on the show btw aob, sorry about side tracking your thread haha

Ah no bother! Its great to see such a positive reaction to me being on the show tbh, and gets ppl talking about new things and new cultures, tiss all good ;)

snubbleste wrote: »
    Is cailín álainn thú OP!

go raibh maith agat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'd like to explore more movies from that part of the world also, I've only seen a handful. Two which stand out would be those Japanese Death Note films which I really enjoyed

Oldboy also of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

btw, how did the language barrier work? i noticed you didnt speak korean, was there a translation time gap that was edited out or something? or?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

hmm, dunno what show that is.. There's plenty of crap anime as well, absolutely loads of stuff I can't stand, but so many absolute gems too. If you want to see a good show, check out Monster, it's a really dark thriller about a doctor who's framed for murder and goes on the run to track down the real killer who may be someone he's treated in the past.

I'd like to explore more movies from that part of the world also, I've only seen a handful. Two which stand out would be those Japanese Death Note films which I really enjoyed

Oldboy also of course.

If you liked Death Note, the anime series was much better, and for the Oldboy fans, I Saw The Devil is a must because it has Min Sik Choi as a really nasty serial killer, he's unreal in it.

Some korean films to check out

Old Boy (just watch it its bloody amazing)
    I'm a cyborg, but thats ok (quirky indie film that won big at many award shows)
    My Sassy Girl (true story, hillarious but pulls at the heart strings)
    Tale of two sisters (VERY disturbing, but a classic)
    Thirst (vampire film, nothing like twilight)
    Sympathy for Lady vengance (mental film, a must watch)
    A moment to remember (love story, very sad)
    I saw the devil (another must see classic)

Korean tv shows
    You who came from the stars (airing now, very romantic and funny, huge hit)
    Rooftop Prince (hillarious, timetravel, love story)
    The moon that embraces the sun (biggest hit of last year, epic, romance, period)
    Dream High (a look into the k-pop scene)
    Queen In-Hyun's man (time travel, romantic, epic, funny)
    City Hunter (one for the guys too, action, thriller, romance)
    My girlfriend is a nine tailed fox (hillarious, romantic, quirky)
    Your Beautiful (k-pop scene, romance, comedy, a k-drama classic)
    Iris (action, thriller, romance, a classic)

Anyway heres a few of my sugestions that ive thought frm the top of my head.. alot of these are on the american netflix btw (if you managed to switch ur IP address to US) or they're all online to stream :)

btw, how did the language barrier work? i noticed you didnt speak korean, was there a translation time gap that was edited out or something? or?

no i only knew a handful of korean words and phrases when i went over. On the Game show we all had translaters in our ears. And throughout the week, all the korean staff with us spoke fluent english :) Im currently learning korean now in trinity!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Mother, the good the bad the weird, the chaser, joint security area and memories of a murder are some excellent kr movies

especially Joint security area, the president of korea gifted a copy to Kim Jong-II when it was released. fantastic movie

--edit

jesus how did I forget save the green planet.

Links234 wrote: »
    If you liked Death Note, the anime series was much better, and for the Oldboy fans, I Saw The Devil is a must because it has Min Sik Choi as a really nasty serial killer, he's unreal in it.

Ha dont get me started on a list of anime/manga ill be here all day!

aob85 wrote: »
    Ha dont get me started on a list of anime/manga ill be here all day!

And I better quit now before I starting posting Versailles videos :pac:

oh no, it's starting!!! :eek:

...can't ...stop ...self!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 LikeClockwork

What a very unique hobby, fair play OP. Careful with the stalkers on here though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

its all lies.....your far too young to appear on TV..according to FB you were only born 20 minutes ago:-p
    well done OP..looked like a lot of fun...oh and your one sexy lady..:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Don't want to steal the OP's thunder but I was filmed by the Today Show in New York trying to beat the US's fastest texter (a 14 year old girl). Had to type "Hi how are you?" and press send. If they let me use my own phone I might have had a chance (so I keep telling myself).

Anyway never made it to the news segment that evening as I didn't get very far into the sentence before the young wan had finished.

News Reporter : So Plaza, from Eye-R-Land, what had you typed?

Me : Hi ho

Cue gasps and young wan dropping phone. This was about 5 or 6 years ago and I really wasn't "down" with the whole rapper "ho" business.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Mammanabammana

I served mass on the telly when I was a kid.

I served mass on the telly when I was a kid.

niccccce haha

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    its all lies.....your far too young to appear on TV..according to FB you were only born 20 minutes ago:-p
    well done OP..looked like a lot of fun...oh and your one sexy lady..:-)

Ha thanks :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I met her after the show! she was at the quiz show i was on! haha such a small world :p

Aye, well that small facebook conversation between the three of us has confirmed as much. Small world indeedy! Are you still travelling the world or have you returned home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Hizaki Grace Project FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Mammanabammana

niccccce haha

Loving the mutual respect vibe. :D

Good of us TV stars to talk to the common folk on here every now and again though, don't you think, OP?

wprathead wrote: »
    Hizaki Grace Project FTW

Nyaaaa :D

Also, if you've not heard them, Aikaryu features a pre-Versailles Teru on guitar ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Fair play to ya!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Thanks. The 'Yellow Sea' is a great film if you haven't seen it.

The dancers in the middle were weird. Something I've always wondered why do so many Japanese, S. Korean women who are obviously in their 20's or 30's dress like prepubescent girls.. pig tails, school uniforms? The men folk over there must be quite interesting psychologically!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Thanks. The 'Yellow Sea' is a great film if you haven't seen it.

The dancers in the middle were weird. Something I've always wondered why do so many Japanese, S. Korean women who are obviously in their 20's or 30's dress like prepubescent girls.. pig tails, school uniforms? The men folk over there must be quite interesting psychologically!

yeah its not like britney spears made such a huge name for herself on the back of a schoolgirl themed video debut or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

yeah its not like britney spears made such a huge name for herself on the back of a schoolgirl themed video debut or anything

There are loads of school girl themed girl band look a likes in k pop. It's merely an observation. There aren't that many examples in western pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Tazzer

)

Ive had a interest about Korea forming in the back my mind for the last while and this is obviously a sign.

Seeing its new year and all that, my resolution is to expand my mind and watch a few of these. I wouldnt have had a clue where to start, so thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Old Boy (just watch it its bloody amazing)
    I'm a cyborg, but thats ok (quirky indie film that won big at many award shows)
    My Sassy Girl (true story, hillarious but pulls at the heart strings)
    Tale of two sisters (VERY disturbing, but a classic)
    Thirst (vampire film, nothing like twilight)
    Sympathy for Lady vengance (mental film, a must watch)
    A moment to remember (love story, very sad)
    I saw the devil (another must see classic)

From reading this, I got a memory mini-revolution. :P

Can you help, I watched a Korean film in the cinema in the 2005-2011 period(LOL), can't remember what the film title was.

It was about the daughter of a mafia style boss who was hitching with a lower echelon "waiter" type who was indeed a hitman working for the boss. He needed permission from the father(to honour him) to take the girls hand. Anyway, the film had lots of shooting and even a car chase on Korean city roads. Any idea from this vague memory of mine? :)

• Advertisement

moxin wrote: »
    From reading this, I got a memory mini-revolution. :P

Can you help, I watched a Korean film in the cinema in the 2005-2011 period(LOL), can't remember what the film title was.

It was about the daughter of a mafia style boss who was hitching with a lower echelon "waiter" type who was indeed a hitman working for the boss. He needed permission from the father(to honour him) to take the girls hand. Anyway, the film had lots of shooting and even a car chase on Korean city roads. Any idea from this vague memory of mine? :)

A Bittersweet Life?

Advertisement