Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was on a korean game show!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭aob85

batman88 wrote: »
    Did you eat any dogs while you were there? Nom Nom Nom

Funnily that's the first thing a lot of people ask me! And no i didnt, haha im picky enough with food!
    Ate a lot of rice, kimchi (cabbage) and chicken... (needles to say i lost 7 pounds that week lol

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP we have no friends in common on Facebook.
    땡큐 베리 감사

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Mammanabammana

biko wrote: »
    땡큐 베리 감사

하고 있는 동안, 그리고 깨끗한 노래 전화하기 전에 봄에 결혼한입니다

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Ever listen to any Korean Metal bands!? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Fair play to you OP for having the moxy to go for it!

P.S. In case you didn't know already - you are a fine bit of schtuff alright!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

After hours is acting like when a good looking young one walks into an old man pub.

PS i would

irish son wrote: »
    After hours is acting like when a good looking young one walks into an old man pub.

PS i would

Haha true, it IS like an old man pub in here! but i am flattered ;p

Links234 wrote: »
    Ever listen to any Korean Metal bands!? :D

Hey! oooh nice song! i love all kinds of music, but tbh ive never listened to the rock scene in Korea that much (a little j-rock in the asian scene).. they sound god tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

getting a sense of deja vu, wasn't there another Irish person on this show (or similar) recently enough ?

parasite wrote: »
    getting a sense of deja vu, wasn't there another Irish person on this show (or similar) recently enough ?

em... that was me! i was on the radio alot and on journal.ie, broadsheet and other online articles leading up to the show :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

ah ok, it must be so, I was thinking I saw it on broadsheet but I had an image of a redhead guy in mind
    oops, as you were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

irish son wrote: »

PS i would

Back off! She's mine!!

aob85 wrote: »
    Hey! oooh nice song! i love all kinds of music, but tbh ive never listened to the rock scene in Korea that much (a little j-rock in the asian scene).. they sound god tho!
    Yeah, the Japanese scene is my drug :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

did you catch any starcraft while you were there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

That's class!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Congrats OP! Some experience, no doubt! Mad to be into all things Korea :p

I know a girl over in Paju at the moment, teaches English. Back in August she was in Seoul to represent Ireland in the audience of some Korean Quiz show!!

Blog Post: http://janetnewenham.wordpress.com/2013/09/06/representing-ireland-on-a-korean-quiz-show/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

never fully understood to appeal of modern Japanese and Korean culture, i get that it can be seen as sort of "cute" sometimes and bizarre and id love to visit that part of the world, but after that i dont see the appeal of sitting and watching loads of their tv and concerts etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Oriental culture completely differs from Western culture, and it's not all just tv and concerts, but theatre film, etc.
    It might be hard to appreciate it at first from a western centric perspective, but once you take the time, it is both fascinating and engrossing.

probably its more the mannerism? i mean western culture seems far more individualized and aggressive compared to theirs? which seems more reserved and passive? in general terms ofcourse. im just guessing here, i never understood it, but my ex girlfriend was maaaad into it, so i went along with it while we dated watching all the weird anime and strange murder movies, so bizarre for me though lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

shane9689 wrote: »
    probably its more the mannerism? i mean western culture seems far more individualized and aggressive compared to theirs? which seems more reserved and passive? in general terms ofcourse. im just guessing here, i never understood it, but my ex girlfriend was maaaad into it, so i went along with it while we dated watching all the weird anime and strange murder movies, so bizarre for me though lol

Yeah I would say it's down to the representation, especially visually, I'm no expert but I find it more sensual.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

aob85 wrote: »
    If anyones interested I represented Ireland on a Korean Game show in August!
    Random I know haha
    But the best week of my life!! Last feb I saw the Korean Embassy in Dublin had a competition going, were you could win a trip to South Korea. So i entered for the crai, since I've always been interested in Korean culture (being a lover of k-pop, k-drama and the arts..) So first round was to write an essay about everything I loved about Korea. They emailed me back and said I qualified for the second round. This was a quiz in trinity with about 40-50 ppl. the top 5 scorers qualified into the last round, which was me! The last round was an interview again in trinity, with ppl from the korean and irish embassys. the whole point of all these rounds was to find a person suitable to represent Ireland over in Korea. After the judges deliberated fr a few hours, they came back and told me I won! So, the Korean embassy flew me over in August and paid for EVERYTHING, 5 star hotels like the hilton, the best of food, drink, theatre.. you name it. The last day of the week was the filming of the game show.
    Simply amazing trip and one i will never forget!
    Here's a link to the show if you're curious :)

Facebook Page with loads of pics
    https://www.facebook.com/alana.obrien.56?success=1

And heres the show! Unfort not in eng subs...sorry :/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0nW7MB7ja8

so Roy Keane lost then

never fully understood to appeal of modern Japanese and Korean culture, i get that it can be seen as sort of "cute" sometimes and bizarre and id love to visit that part of the world, but after that i dont see the appeal of sitting and watching loads of their tv and concerts etc...

I think it's about exposure, in that it can seem like a novelty at first, but it can open your eyes to a whole lot more. Like for example, you could start watching a bit of anime, and this could expose you to a lot of Japanese music, or you could very easily move onto movies because there's a hell of a lot of imagination and creativity there, you know? Some of the best sci-fi and fantasy I've ever seen is Japanese, some of my favourite movies are Japanese, some of my favourite bands, etc... It's like dipping your toe in and going "holy crap, this is awesome!" You find out there's so much amazing stuff, you know?

Likewise Korea, some of the best movies of last decade or so have been Korean.

i will admit, i do like some of the anime movies, but beyond that i start getting lost

i will admit, i do like some of the anime movies, but beyond that i start getting lost
    Which ones did you like?

I know what you mean though, it can be rather daunting considering there is so much

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Links234 wrote: »
    some of my favourite movies are Japanese

Which ones, if you don't mind me asking?

the girl who travelled through time, i think its called?

also years ago i watched one about some physic kid who in the end turns into a giant weird yoke and blows up a city with his mind, (theres a motor cycle gang in the movie at one stage?) i cant remember the name of it but its was so messed up i enjoyed it haha

also years ago i watched one about some physic kid who in the end turns into a giant weird yoke and blows up a city with his mind, (theres a motor cycle gang in the movie at one stage?) i cant remember the name of it but its was so messed up i enjoyed it haha

Girl who leapt through time is such a great film! Highly recommend it, esp if you like cats!
    And that other film your talking about is Akira! One of the best anime films of all time :)

osarusan wrote: »
    Which ones, if you don't mind me asking?

oh dear, where do I start? :eek:

if we're talking live action, Departures hit me in a lot of very personal ways, I adore that movie and it just brings me to tears every time. it might seem a bit stuffy, but old samurai movies are awesome to watch and it's amazing how much they influenced the mainstream. I like a few Japanese horrors, Ring obviously, or some really freaky ones too or anything by Takashi Miike like Audition, loved his 13 Assassins too. Zatochi, the 2003 one, same director did some really amazing stuff, and me and my girlfriend watched Kikujiro together earlier this year, she adored it. Anime wise, anything Ghibli, or anything from Mamoru Hosoda, Satoshi Kon or Mokoto Shinkai is pretty much gold. damn, that's all I can think of at the moment!

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and Akira. Both amazing :D

If you like those, try Ghost in the Shell, Paprika, and Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    Congrats OP! Some experience, no doubt! Mad to be into all things Korea :p

I know a girl over in Paju at the moment, teaches English. Back in August she was in Seoul to represent Ireland in the audience of some Korean Quiz show!!

Blog Post: http://janetnewenham.wordpress.com/2013/09/06/representing-ireland-on-a-korean-quiz-show/

I met her after the show! she was at the quiz show i was on! haha such a small world :p

Advertisement