Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KKVs Rav4 project

Options

Comments

Right, so this is going to sound a bit mad, but...

My front bumper had some scratches/marks on the front right (or left, if you're standing in front of the car, looking at it). It's always been there. Looked like someone tried parking too close or someone rubbed it against something. Can feel the scratches on it and the paint is ever so slightly worn away. But it's nothing terrible.

Yesterday I was looking at the car, and this area is significantly worse, and there's also small bits scratched the whole corner around (from the fog light to where the bumper ends at the side of the car).

I got had the car back on Friday evening. It was dark and cold so I didn't inspect it. Saturday it was poor out and rain so I didn't look at it during the day much either (well, that's not entirely true,I copped the bumper looked worse on Saturday night, but I rubbed it with my hand and it looked a bit better when I wiped the rain away, so I just figured it was my imagination).

I've parked the car out in the wild twice, and neither time could anyone park in front of me (as the car was parallel parked, and the car in front was the same car when I got back, both times), so I'm happy to rule out that someone squeezed in a bit too tight in front and did the damage. There's also no colour streaking that I can see, so no paint has rubbed off against it.

In my head, it looks like my panel beater had the bumper face down on a concrete floor, and lifted the bumper from one side, which caused the other side to 'drag' and scratch on the floor.

Am I a bit insane in thinking this? I can't help but think if a panel beater did damage to a car, then he'd just fix it and say he fixed it out of goodwill or something, rather than leaving it visible?

But at the same time, I can think of no situation where I could have gotten that damage on the car myself. Unfortunately, although I did take pictures of the car before he worked on it, they don't have that part of the bumper visible. The only photos I have with that part of the bumper visible are from 2 weeks ago.

Just not sure how to go about saying it to him. Or if indeed, it was his fault..

Called to panel beater and he said he sanded down the bumper a bit. He reckons he didn't think the paint would look as bad and that it's possible someone used some touch-up paint on it before (which is why it came off so easily).

I'm not 100% sure, but at least he acknowledges it, so that's good. Will get it sorted out sometime soon. Always something.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Called to panel beater and he said he sanded down the bumper a bit. He reckons he didn't think the paint would look as bad and that it's possible someone used some touch-up paint on it before (which is why it came off so easily).

I'm not 100% sure, but at least he acknowledges it, so that's good. Will get it sorted out sometime soon. Always something.

Probably wet sanded before polishing if there was some relatively bad scratches to start.

Yup, that's what he said when I was talking to him, alright, ChallengeMaster.

I still want to put a new grill on the car (and sort the bumper) but other than that I think im gonna relax on it for a while. Next up will be the bumper and taking off the tow bar (and replacing it with a stainless steel one) but Im gonna give it a couple of weeks before jumping back in again.

I think the rear light protectors look fantastic and add so much to the overall presentation of the car. I'm gonna wait til their novelty wears off before moving onto something else (Rather than rushing it all in and not being able to enjoy it all :) ).

I plan to have it for a while, so there's no mad rush on it :P

The cargo area in the Rav4 is a bit dark (very dark, actually). The lighting on the roof is cut off by the parcel shelf, so I'm looking to do something with it.

In order to keep things as simple as possible, I was considering looking for a battery-operated LED light(s) of some sort. Something I could stick to the underside of the parcel shelf and that had a button to press it on/off (so something that doesn't require wiring, etc. and that's easy to install and forget about).

I seen these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-X-1-45oz-Mini-3-LED-Battery-Powered-Stick-Tap-Touch-Lamp-Light-Silver-ABS-/130984518632?pt=Lamps_US&hash=item1e7f4923e8

And my dad had something similar in the kitchen before that he got in Argos, but the beam of light on them was pretty poor if memory serves me correctly. I'd also rather have just a single light (perhaps something tube-shaped or such, or a string light that'd run the whole length of the shelf... something along those lines anyway).

Anyone have any suggestions at all?

Cheers :)

• Advertisement

Friend of mine has a 407 and has a heater problem. Can't get hot air at all, as far as I'm lead to believe.

Anyway, after many days of not really doing anything...

The pollen filter is generally cheap as chips, and I've yet to see a one that's difficult to fit. Google your model and see what the process is like. I reckon just replace it yourself to be honest!

... I finally changed the pollen filter. Asked my Motor Factors for it and got the price and was happy enough. Didn't think to ask for an activated carbon one, as MM mentioned, as I hate going in there like a clueless fool looking for things. It cost me €12 for the filter anyway.

I googled it and got this video:

... And it seemed fairly straight-forward, so I said I'd give it a shot.

So 15 minutes later (including the trip to Motor Factors, and it's in. The old one was not a pretty sight! Phone photos are a bit crap but the new filter is to the left (completely whited out in photo, unfortunately) and the old one on the right... god only knows when it was last changed! It was actually almost black. :o

51112C2F6183487B835BB42A682919BF-0000333410-0003502319-01000L-5ECB3650D2914ED990A71596FEBF19A3.jpg

Can I ask ye guys, is there such a thing as a service pack or such for your car? For example, if I wanted to learn to service my own car, could I get my Motor Factors to put the bits and pieces needed together for me in a bundle pack or such? Would they know what to give me (based on my reg plate, for example?).

And would anyone have any idea roughly the cost (it's a 2004 Toyota Rav4). Service is due at 98,000 miles, and I'm just after rounding off 97,000. So would like to give it a go myself. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

@kkv most motor factors will be able to give you the correct parts you need based on the reg. just a few things to bear in mind; check what your car is due at 98k miles ie it will need oil plus oil filter does it need air filter spark plugs etc. ensure you use the correct grade oil to the dot. The right spec oil too not just viscosity. There is a few threads here on servicing cars and plenty of videos on YouTube etc it's generally straight forward enough to do. I service my focus and never takes that long the first service will take you the longest as you are getting used to it.

Buy decent brand filters. I only buy ford oil and air filters from the main dealer I'm probably over fussy as there is plenty of other brand filter that are good. I'd just rather spend the extra tenner and get genuine parts but that's just my preference nothing wrong with any of the decent brand filters such as Mann etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

They should be able to give you everything for your machine when you tell them what your driving, the year and the engine that's in it.

Sometimes there can be problems if there were two types of oil filters for example. But they might be kind enough to bring both forward and compare them in the bay of the car :)

Motor Factors seem to be daunting places for a lot of people but really I've never met one that hasn't gone out of his way to help.

Since you done the cabin filter what you need at the next service is

- Oil Filter
    - Oil
    - Air Filter
    - Fuel Filter (if due)
    - Plugs (I think yours is petrol?)

Before going in also check the brake pads for wear and if they need changing then get them too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

YbFocus wrote: »
    They should be able to give you everything for your machine when you tell them what your driving, the year and the engine that's in it.

Sometimes there can be problems if there were two types of oil filters for example. But they might be kind enough to bring both forward and compare them in the bay of the car :)

Motor Factors seem to be daunting places for a lot of people but really I've never met one that hasn't gone out of his way to help.

- Oil Filter
    - Oil
    - Air Filter
    - Fuel Filter (if due)

Before going in also check the brake pads for wear and if they need changing then get them too :)

+1
    never been in a motor factors where I havent thought that the lad behind the counter was sound.

- Oil Filter
    - Oil
    - Air Filter
    - Fuel Filter (if due)

Brake pads have only just been done 2-3 months ago so I'm not overly concerned regarding those at all. Which is good, as I wouldn't be mad about changing them. Have seen my mechanic doing them in the past on the Focus, and it didn't look like even the smallest bit of fun was had by anyone.

Looks like a messy, head-wrecking job. :(

I'm assuming that I'll be okay to do all those bits one piece at a time (ie; if each piece takes an age to do, i don't have to do it all at once? Obviously I'd ideally prefer to do it all in as short a space as possible, but being realistic it may spread out over a couple of days if it's a tedious process).

I know there's a thread on here about how to service your car, but I'll more than likely end up running to Google anyway. "Rav4 2004 oil filter change" etc.

Are there any tools or such required (I'd imagine so) before even trying to start it off?

• Advertisement

Yep you can do them individually no problem but please complete the oil change fully :)

You'll want a set of sockets.

Depending on your oil filter either a huge 30mm like socket, a filter remover or your hand if it's reachable and not buried on.

A set of torx are usually wanted for bits like the airbox and interior trim. Always handy to have.

Sometimes a funnel to direct the new oil is handy.

A can of some sort to hold 5l + of used engine oil :)

Oh and brake pads are simple, don't be afraid of them. If you manage to change the oil you'll handle pads no probs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

If you manage to change the oil you'll handle pads no probs :)

Not necessarily true. There's the whole bleeding process which is a tricky task for someone who hasn't experience of it. Potentially dangerous too without experience.

Not necessarily true. There's the whole bleeding process which is a tricky task for someone who hasn't experience of it. Potentially dangerous too without experience.

No need to bleed when doing pads MM?

On any car I've had or done work on anyway.

No need to bleed when doing pads MM?

On any car I've had or done work on anyway.

So you've never opened the brake fluid reservoir to let it release the pressure when pushing back the piston?

So you've never opened the brake fluid reservoir to let it release the pressure when pushing back the piston?

Of course I open the reservoir but that won't introduce air. As I push the fluid back along the lines no air is being introduced into the system, all I'm doing is raising the level in the reservoir.

That's what I've always believed and I never had brake trouble.

Of course I open the reservoir but that won't introduce air. As I push the fluid back along the lines no air is being introduced into the system, all I'm doing is raising the level in the reservoir.

That's what I've always believed and I never had brake trouble.

I've never changed pads myself but on my RX8, a friend's father who is a mechanic did and he bled them afterwards.

I just always thought that it had to be done.

I've never changed pads myself but on my RX8, a friend's father who is a mechanic did and he bled them afterwards.

I just always thought that it had to be done.

No MM as no air is introduced to the system. Now you can open them at the calipers and let the pistons back much easier but it multiplies the work when you need to bleed them.
    Maybe he thought they were spongy or something?

No MM as no air is introduced to the system. Now you can open them at the calipers and let the pistons back much easier but it multiplies the work when you need to bleed them.
    Maybe he thought they were spongy or something?

Maybe! :)

Yep you can do them individually no problem but please complete the oil change fully :)

You'll want a set of sockets.

Depending on your oil filter either a huge 30mm like socket, a filter remover or your hand if it's reachable and not buried on.

A set of torx are usually wanted for bits like the airbox and interior trim. Always handy to have.

Sometimes a funnel to direct the new oil is handy.

A can of some sort to hold 5l + of used engine oil :)

Oh and brake pads are simple, don't be afraid of them. If you manage to change the oil you'll handle pads no probs :)

So, if i were, for arguments sake, to take a trip to Halfords tomorrow, I'd be on the lookout for;

a Funnel (pretty self explanatory)
    Torx - that THIS kinda thing? Is it necessary to buy a set, or would a single car stick to a single size?
    Oil Filter Remover - This boyo?

This chap is making it look relatively easy!

Has he the wheel off for the camera, I wonder, or does it actually help. Hmm.

You'll get far cheaper torx sets than that, don't get ones that run off a rachet but the screwdriver type with interchangeable bits.

If that suits your oil filter then that's what you want. Have you a metal filter or a housing with a paper filter?

Don't pay those prices that's madness, try micksgarage or your local motorfactors :)

• Advertisement

Halfords tend to be expensive for some things.
    Compare prices with the local motor factors

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don't think you'll need torx for a Rav4, if you do need them they're €2 in Dealz. You won't need anything special anyway.

Have you a metal filter or a housing with a paper filter?

93761d1383596911-i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing-funny-dog-pictures-i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing-jpg

I don't know what any of that means. :o

It did cross my mind that the stuff was a tad expensive, but I thought maybe it'd be alright as I'd be saving the money on paying a mechanic..

But I will ask in my motor factors. Truth be told, they've (my Motor Factors) been sound with me since day one, even though I've only a vague idea what I'm asking for most of the time. So I'd rather throw a few euro at them (regardless of whether they're a little more expensive).

Your oil filter is a traditional metal cylinder type. That halfords one is quare fancy, a cheap strap type filter remover will be just fine.

other_oil_big.jpg

Is it a petrol rav 4?
    If so you have the same setup as me.

The oil filter is under the engine. You just pop off the plastic shield that stops stones from the road hitting the engine. Filter is just a little cylinder you screw off.
    Screw on the new one after putting some oil on the rubber bit that touches the engine bloc.
    Oil drain plug is nearby.
    Open this let oil fall out tighten again,

Air filter is in the black plastic box unhook clips pull out and replace.

As some of ye may know, I swapped out the head unit in the Rav to this one:

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=11101&langId=-1&productId=916749&catalogId=15551

I wired it up myself and I think i did it all pretty 'by the book', as in the car hasn't gone on fire or exploded yet. But Im annoyed.

Every now and again, when I get into the car, I'll turn the key in the ignition and the radio will have reset itself! It's very irritating having to go through the menu and change the settings, colour, re-tune radio stations, etc.

Is this likely to be a fault with the head unit itself, or is it more likely that I made a jock of the wiring of it all? Happens completely randomly (but otherwise the unit is working perfectly).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

If your filter is the metal type rather than paper element in a housing. We have one similar to this and I always find it handy for doing the metal type filter. Something similar to the one colm posted actually.

filter remover tool

Does the radio turn off when you take the key out?

Those are good alright, razor sharp edge on mine though and not much use if you spill oil on them. Otherwise great

• Advertisement

Yeah. There's no actual power button on it. So once you turn the key in the car, the radio is on. (ie; turn the key once and it comes on, not just with the ignition/full turn).

Advertisement