Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KKVs Rav4 project

Options

Comments

Is it a petrol rav 4?
    If so you have the same setup as me.

The oil filter is under the engine. You just pop off the plastic shield that stops stones from the road hitting the engine. Filter is just a little cylinder you screw off.
    Screw on the new one after putting some oil on the rubber bit that touches the engine bloc.
    Oil drain plug is nearby.
    Open this let oil fall out tighten again,

Air filter is in the black plastic box unhook clips pull out and replace.

It is indeed a petrol version. Are you also in a Rav? (or an Avensis, as the name suggests? Are all Toyota Petrols laid out the same/similarly?)

All that stuff you said sounds fairly straight forward, but its stuff i can't really picture in my head (will be a handy post to refer to at the time of actually doing things, though) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,391 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is your cigarette lighter working?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Your oil filter is a traditional metal cylinder type. That halfords one is quare fancy, a cheap strap type filter remover will be just fine.

Where would I find one of those thingies?

Should I assume that if i go into my motor factors, they'll have a tool for it, and anything over €20 would be unreasonable? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

@kkv see this thread. I know it's not a rav4 but it has some pictures and gives a good explanation description of a basic service.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57962207#post57962207

Yeah; there are two on the Rav and both seem to be 100% functional (one has my sat nav in it a lot, and the other used to charge the phone every once in a while).

Aside from losing steering wheel radio controls, everything seems to be fine. (I have lost both my 'side lights/parking lights', but i blame the panel beater for that, as they were working grand, im pretty sure, after i put the radio in).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SleeperService

+1
    never been in a motor factors where I havent thought that the lad behind the counter was sound.
    I'm somewhere about 50/50 with motor factors. Some you rock up and everything goes smoothly, other places you feel like you landed from mars and asked for a Heisenberg compensator for a warp drive. This can go one of two ways - they stare at you in amazement til you beat a nervous retreat, or they give you a part you didn't ask for, for a car you don't own.

Should I assume that if i go into my motor factors, they'll have a tool for it, and anything over €20 would be unreasonable? :confused:

Motor factors, cheapie hardware shore etc. no harm buying good tools but you won't save any money servicing once a year if you spend loads on stuff.

You can use a 7up bottle or similar as a funnel too if you cut half it off, make sure its clean of course.

recycled%2Bsoda%2Bbottle%2B009.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SleeperService

Lidl had a basic one for about a fiver recently, most likely cleaned out now.

By the by, I think the SRC button turns it on and holding it turns it off.

Bpmull wrote: »
    @kkv see this thread. I know it's not a rav4 but it has some pictures and gives a good explanation description of a basic service.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57962207#post57962207

I've looked through that thread before, alright. It's one of those 'too much information' threads. It's very detailed, but it goes above my head (owing ot my own stupidity, though, I'll admit). :o

I always find it easier to learn if you have someone with the patience to explain things to you (which i dont ever expect off anyone, but in fairness, a lot of the lads on the motors forum (and the detailing forum, especially) are good at hand holding you through your first time doing things.

Something which is probably a pain in the hole for people who are very experienced and get frustrated with me.. which i apologise for! :)

• Advertisement

So do i need the 'torx' things then?

Oil filter remover tool (which we've discussed), a funnel/bottle, and a storage tank/bottle/etc for the old oil.

Is that everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Motor factors, cheapie hardware shore etc. no harm buying good tools but you won't save any money servicing once a year if you spend loads on stuff.

You can use a 7up bottle or similar as a funnel too if you cut half it off, make sure its clean of course.

recycled%2Bsoda%2Bbottle%2B009.JPG

Nice nails Colm :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Oil filter remover tool (which we've discussed), a funnel/bottle, and a storage tank/bottle/etc for the old oil.

Is that everything?

Sorry KKV I am used to my BMW where you need torx for almost everything. If colm or the others can confirm you don't then your sorted with the above:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Nice nails Colm :pac:

Lovely sheen to them :D

YbFocus wrote: »
    Lovely sheen to them :D

gtechniq ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I've never changed pads myself but on my RX8, a friend's father who is a mechanic did and he bled them afterwards.

I just always thought that it had to be done.
    Maybe! :)

I was always the push pads back and pads in and away. Quick as.

But last time and what ill probably always do now is clamp the rubber flex and open the bleed nipple as I push the pads back. That way the worst of the fluid is gone with any air. When you pump the brakes its all new fluid in.
    Halfords tend to be expensive for some things.
    Compare prices with the local motor factors

Not with trade card.
    I don't think you'll need torx for a Rav4, if you do need them they're €2 in Dealz. You won't need anything special anyway.

Mm id spend a tad more. The one you need will split to pieces just when you cant get another and cant use anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

It's mainly German cars that use Torx screws while Jap cars use 10mm sockets for EVERYTHING :D

By the by, I think the SRC button turns it on and holding it turns it off.

Must try that. Would you reckon its an issue with the head unit itself, then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Is that everything?

You will need a socket ratchet to remove the sump nut/ plug I don't know what type a rav4 has. You should be able to google it. Some just use a normal socket.

Must try that. Would you reckon its an issue with the head unit itself, then?

I wouldn't rule out human error :)

How is the headunit grounded? That's just a stab in the dark, but worth checking anyway

• Advertisement

I wouldn't rule out human error :)

Nor would I. I'd say it's far more likely, to be honest :D
    How is the headunit grounded? That's just a stab in the dark, but worth checking anyway

I've no idea what you mean. I just followed a rough guide, blindly. I've no idea what I actually really did or such.

Bpmull wrote: »
    You will need a socket ratchet to remove the sump nut/ plug I don't know what type a rav4 has. You should be able to google it. Some just use a normal socket.

I'm googling but not really finding much, to be honest. Ah, I'm sure i'll figure it out. I'll ask one of the lads if they know in motor factors (under the assumption that all petrol Toyotas of that year/general year would be the same)

Is there a black wire screwed into the metal body of the radio?

I'm googling but not really finding much, to be honest. Ah, I'm sure i'll figure it out. I'll ask one of the lads if they know in motor factors (under the assumption that all petrol Toyotas of that year/general year would be the same)

Its a 14mm socket you need.
    $(KGrHqFHJBsFCES%2BydJ)BQrc36BDzQ~~60_35.JPG

Is there a black wire screwed into the metal body of the radio?

Erm... looks something like a 3.5mm headphone jack of sorts?

If so, yeah.. but not screwed in i dont think. Just push it in..?

Its a 14mm socket you need.
    $(KGrHqFHJBsFCES%2BydJ)BQrc36BDzQ~~60_35.JPG

Ah perfect. Presumably the lads in Motor Factors will carry the tool required?

Colm, can i ask you, (or indeed, anyone), what you would guess a rough price would be for the other requirements (ie; the actual oil, filters, etc)?

I think I paid €130 or €140 for my service last time, so less than that, obviously (As that paid someone to do it for me).

Oh.. all fairly cheapish so far anyway!

Care to guess an estimate for these? Also, Colm, would you be attending the Midway meet?!

Air Filter
    Fuel Filter
    Plugs

Air filter is only about a tenner. You prob don't need fuel filter.

I went on the assumption that you'd be using 10w40 oil. There are those that would recommend 5w30 for that engine. Not sure where I stand on that one tbh.

Plugs would be about €20.

You could get everything you need on micksgarage tbh.

Re the meet, I'm 50/50

Just ran this up on micksgarage for the craic

sqmr.png

• Advertisement

Air filter is only about a tenner. You prob don't need fuel filter.

I went on the assumption that you'd be using 10w40 oil. There are those that would recommend 5w30 for that engine. Not sure where I stand on that one tbh.

I was actually about to ask you that. From googling around 5w30 seems to be appearing. Does it really make a big difference? I'm not sure what's in it at the moment (I doubt there's any way of telling?) but the Rav doesn't exactly seem to be swallowing it.

Advertisement