Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KKVs Rav4 project

Options

Comments

I ordered the rest of the bits I needed off Micks (Spark Plug Wrench, Oil Filter Removal Tool, Funnels, Spark Plugs, Oil Filter and Air Filter). Also got 10% off using code AwesomeSocks10 (that I got on a bargain alerts request thread, from Googling). So total was about €34 all in all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I wouldn't use that oil tbh. That the exact oil I use in my car (well spec wise not brand) the ford msc....... Spec bit is to do with economy. Although the viscosity is 5w30 the shear strength how hard it is to brake up the oil is easier so the engine is not under as much pressure and runs more economically. Now the effect is minimal enough but the only thing is ford engine are set up for this oil. Considering Toyota engines are known to burn a drop of oil it may piss through this oil as it's arguably slightly lighter than 5w30. It may be safer to just get normal 5w30 that meets toyota specs as a base and see what it's like to burn that. As I said the difference would probably be minimal but ford spec is written on it for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

KKV you said the last service was 9000 miles ago. Do you do mainly highway driving or do you spend a lot of your time in stop go traffic. If you are doing a lot of stop starty driving then you should be chaning the oil a bit more often.

Well I took back the Halfords Oil and swapped it to the one ToyotaAvensis linked to above:

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_253905_langId_-1_categoryId_212419

So hopefully that should be that sorted now. :)

KKV you said the last service was 9000 miles ago. Do you do mainly highway driving or do you spend a lot of your time in stop go traffic. If you are doing a lot of stop starty driving then you should be chaning the oil a bit more often.

Mostly stop-go and town driving with the rare motorway appearance for an hour or so once or twice a month.

My mechanic gave the car a service when I first got it, at 88k miles. He put a sticker on it and in general conversation, was saying that the best thing to do is come back to him for another service in 12 months or 10k miles (whichever comes first).

So I just followed that advice, really. This is me just learning about this side of cars now. I've never known anything about any of this kinda stuff.

Well I took back the Halfords Oil and swapped it to the one ToyotaAvensis linked to above:

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_253905_langId_-1_categoryId_212419

So hopefully that should be that sorted now. :)

Mostly stop-go and town driving with the rare motorway appearance for an hour or so once or twice a month.

My mechanic gave the car a service when I first got it, at 88k miles. He put a sticker on it and in general conversation, was saying that the best thing to do is come back to him for another service in 12 months or 10k miles (whichever comes first).

So I just followed that advice, really. This is me just learning about this side of cars now. I've never known anything about any of this kinda stuff.

Glad you are sorted with the oil and since it is such a small difference in price is would go for the right stuff.

If you are doing all stop start driving then you count as severe driving. Here is the schedule for the avensis. The 1zzfe engine is your engine so a lot of it will be relevant. You will probably find the one for the rav is very similar as they have the same engine.

http://www.oil-club.ru/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/zamena-masla-v-akpp-avensis.pdf

In severe driving the oil should be changed every 7500km's (4600 miles). This is why mine gets changed every 5000 miles.

• Advertisement

http://www.oil-club.ru/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/zamena-masla-v-akpp-avensis.pdf

In severe driving the oil should be changed every 7500km's (4600 miles). This is why mine gets changed every 5000 miles.

Ah that's handy information to have. Potentially 3 services per year though if my driving keeps up the way it has been over the last while (I could be wrong but I think I've racked up 9,000 miles in about 8 months).

I'm looking forward to actually getting stuck in and seeing how I get on with the whole servicing thing.

Must give the engine bay a good clean over too some time. (it needs it!).

Without trying to drag up the fog light debate again, can I ask - are you able to change the bulbs in foglights? And If so, are they still considered fog lights?

ie; If I were to swap the bulbs out with less powerful ones, the ones that go into the sidelights, for example, could I get away with calling them sidelights?

Or will they only take a certain type/strength of bulb and that's it?

you shouldnt do this. If you want to fit auxilary lamps you can for better vision.
    Fog lamps are for fog. A side light bulb wont fit in here and you wont get any benefit in terms of light on the road.
    http://www.powerbulbs.com/vehicles/cars/uk-ireland/toyota/rav-4-ii/2000-2006/car-headlight-bulbs
    are the bulbs your car takes.

Is it poor light on the road at night has got you thinking this or is there something else?

Primarily, it's because I prefer driving with them on. The light they provide along the immediate front of the car and to the sides is massively beneficial, in my opinion.

The difference between driving with them on and off is massively noticeable. They're not gonna be a make or break in an accident, and they're probably not gonna save me from too many potholes, but I enjoy the additional light they give out.

I wasn't sure if perhaps it was a case that all the bulbs were the same in regards to size/shape/fitting/etc, so if there was an option to just use something that wasn't a fog light bulb, would I get away with it on technicality.

I'm also strongly of the opinion that the more light on the front of my vehicle = the more people that can also see me coming. I drive with fogs and dips on at all times (day or night).

Also, a question to ask (more aimed at you, Colm, I suppose, as you're the expert salesman of the group), would you know if this rear step would match up with the side bars on my Rav4?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-RAV-4-RAV4-2000-2005-REAR-BACK-SKID-BUMPER-BAR-/280256432296?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item414095c8a8

I want to get the tow bar off it, and these would also cover up the not-so-shiny exhaust ("two birds with one stone" and all that), but don't want to pick it up if it'll look way off and I'll notice it and regret it.

Having the fog lights on always is illegal and dangerous [but we wont go there].
    I think the mods will get angry if we start talking about them being a benefit or not so we can just steer clear.

Something like this could provide extra lights if they are auxilary lights and not fogs
    http://articles.dashzracing.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/rav4-4x4-fog-lights-13.jpg

To be honest though I think they look a bit ****e.

I have the super dooper light bulbs which make a big difference. This is one way to see better, and be seen easier. I am sure there are other ways to go about this. I cant think of what they might be though.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm not trying to go down the 'for and against' fogs route, but it was a genuine question.
    I also think fog lights look better as they're part of the design and not fired on afterwards (those A-Bar lights can sometimes look good, but only ok.something like a hilux or such, in my opinion).

That said, I dont think I've ever come across a jeep with those lights that actually had them at any kind of power. I've seen them act like parking lights/side lights and be very, very dim/barely visible. I've also been flashed by jeeps with them and they flashed in unison with the headlights, but I've never seen them actually act as a normal dipped lights.

Look at this prick, with his lovely nudge bar. Tempted to see if he'd swap.. haha.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-rav-4/6453355

Not sure if I'm mad on the grill or not though. Looks like it needs to be sprayed black?

Righty oh, I'm planning on taking a look at servicing the Rav4 tomorrow. So just to double check, what I need to be doing is (in order):

Change oil (by draining it)
    Change oil filter (after this, put the new oil in)
    Air Filter
    Spark plugs
    (pollen/cabin air filter has already been done)

Can't help but feel like I'm forgetting something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Righty oh, I'm planning on taking a look at servicing the Rav4 tomorrow. So just to double check, what I need to be doing is (in order):

Air Filter
    Spark plugs

Check the coolant, power steering fluid, brake fluid and screen wash levels.

I always check the condition of the brake pads too. Just jack up and take the wheel off and visually inspect to see how much material is left on the pads. Check the discs for wear too.

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Check the coolant, power steering fluid, brake fluid and screen wash levels.

I always check the condition of the brake pads too. Just jack up and take the wheel off and visually inspect to see how much material is left on the pads. Check the discs for wear too.

The brake pads will be weather dependent. If the wheels come off, they're getting a good thorough cleaning, and I'm not putting myself through that if i can't do it outside on a nice day :P

From what I can see though (well, guess, as I have never done anything like this before), out of the list:

Oil
    Oil filter
    Air Filter
    Spark plugs

Only the oil seems like it's actually got any work involved? I plan to youtube all of the above and go from there (and hopefully get help from someone on here to verify im looking at the right thing on youtube first).

The brake pads will be weather dependent. If the wheels come off, they're getting a good thorough cleaning, and I'm not putting myself through that if i can't do it outside on a nice day :P

From what I can see though (well, guess, as I have never done anything like this before), out of the list:

Oil
    Oil filter
    Air Filter
    Spark plugs

Only the oil seems like it's actually got any work involved? I plan to youtube all of the above and go from there (and hopefully get help from someone on here to verify im looking at the right thing on youtube first).

It takes about 4mins a corner to check the brakes and well worth doing, Particularly when you haven't before ;)

The normal procedure is to drain the oil, change the oil filter, the refill the oil dipping it and being careful not to over fill it with oil. Then replace the air filter. Make sure you have the oil cap on and all that before starting the engine. Once you first start the engine leave it idle for a minute or so to let the oil get around the engine (in other words don't get in start the engine and rev it straight away). You can then dip the oil again and top it up if needed as the level will drop a bit as the filter has to fill with oil. Also before you drain the oil make sure the engine is hot as obviously got oil is more viscous and will flow drain better. When tightening sump nut filter don't over tighten them. They don't need to be tightened as hard as you can just enough so they won't loosen and will seal properly.

Bpmull wrote: »
    The normal procedure is to drain the oil, change the oil filter, the refill the oil dipping it and being careful not to over fill it with oil. Then replace the air filter. Make sure you have the oil cap on and all that before starting the engine. Once you first start the engine leave it idle for a minute or so to let the oil get around the engine (in other words don't get in start the engine and rev it straight away). You can then dip the oil again and top it up if needed as the level will drop a bit as the filter has to fill with oil. Also before you drain the oil make sure the engine is hot as obviously got oil is more viscous and will flow drain better. When tightening sump nut filter don't over tighten them. They don't need to be tightened as hard as you can just enough so they won't loosen and will seal properly.

Sump nut.. is that the 'proper' name of the piece you undo to let the oil escape under the engine (to drain it)?

Also, this was posted earlier on,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFOWGTpLggo

It's an oil and oil filter change on my model of Rav. Presumably the process for after the oil is drained, is to just screw on the new filter and to use the same old 'sump nut' (assuming im thinking of the right thing when I say sump nut) that was already on it.

Then you're ready to put the new oil in, yeah? you dont need to use anything between oils or such to completely wash the old oil out? :confused: (Silly question but better safe than sorry)

Sump nut.. is that the 'proper' name of the piece you undo to let the oil escape under the engine (to drain it)?

It's an oil and oil filter change on my model of Rav. Presumably the process for after the oil is drained, is to just screw on the new filter and to use the same old 'sump nut' (assuming im thinking of the right thing when I say sump nut) that was already on it.

Then you're ready to put the new oil in, yeah? you dont need to use anything between oils or such to completely wash the old oil out? :confused: (Silly question but better safe than sorry)

Usually called a sump plug. Note that there is a washer on the plug. This is replaced by some people (I never do and have never had a leak on any car) but it is important to re-fit it with the plug. The plug should be tight but there is no need to kill it. Definitely tighten it with no more force than it took to remove.
    The filter should have a smear of oil put around the rubber ring and make sure the rubber is correctly fitted into its groove (it most lightly will be and you'll be able to push it in by hand if it's not). Only put the filter on hand tight. Personally I run it down until the seal hits and then turn it about another 3/4 of a turn, just make sure it won't fall off.

On the first start of the engine it may take longer than normal for the oil light to go out and it might be noticeably louder than normal. This is normal after an oil change as the oil has to fill the filter before any pressure is generated.

Yep that's a sump nut where the oil drains out. You could replace the sump nut every few services but there shouldn't be and need to. However the sump washer is a different story I normally change that every service or so. I do t know where you get them other than main dealers as that where I get mine. The sump washer goes on the nut and ends up in between the sump and the nut head , like any washer does. You dont need to rinse the engine with anything. You will never get 100% of the oil out that's just the way it is. Just be careful when screwing back in the sump washer as some cars have aluminium sumps and the thread can be cross threaded/ damaged if your not careful when screwing it in.

• Advertisement

That's perfect. I'll go be going through it all very slowly and triple checking things anyway. Last thing I need to feck up is an oil change and wreck the ending :P

I assume changing the air filter is as easy as changing the pollen filter (just a case of finding it, literally snapping it off a holder, replacing it, and putting it back where I found it)?

I can't seem to find much on the spark plugs though :confused: - Wouldn't happen to also be called coil packs? That comes up in a Youtube search but can't seem to find anything directly related to spark plugs.

That's perfect. I'll go be going through it all very slowly and triple checking things anyway. Last thing I need to feck up is an oil change and wreck the ending :P

I assume changing the air filter is as easy as changing the pollen filter (just a case of finding it, literally snapping it off a holder, replacing it, and putting it back where I found it)?

I can't seem to find much on the spark plugs though :confused: - Wouldn't happen to also be called coil packs? That comes up in a Youtube search but can't seem to find anything directly related to spark plugs.

Spark plugs are under the coils ;)

It depends on what you want to do. Not all these are that important
    You can do things like
    greasing the door hinges,
    give her a wash and clean,
    check tyre pressures
    Check tyre thread depth
    check tyre conditons make sure there are no visual damaged parts with bulges or cracks etc
    Clean the battery terminals.
    Check the belts under the bonnet look ok (only one on the Rav 4)
    Make sure that the coolant level in the over flow tank is at the full mark.
    When cold open the radiator cap and top up the coolant.
    Check the brake fluid is between the min and max
    Top up screen wash reservoir
    If you have power steerin fluid (i dont think you do) check it is topped up.
    When looking at fluids make sure they look ok - if brake fluid is very black change it
    All these are fast jobs that will only take a few seconds.

Also if you see anything worrying post back here.

I found this (spark plug) video. Not the same Rav as mine, but I'll assume the process is much the same? Video is pretty poor but gives a rough idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRIN91NCBTo

Avensis, from your list, the following are comments I'd add:

Greasing the door hinges - Not something I'm overly concerned about as this was done when I first got it about 6-8 months ago.

Give her a wash and clean - Don't get me started on this! :mad: :P (I'm having a lot of polishing hassle with it).

Check tyre pressures - What is this? 32psi? :confused:

Check tyre thread depth - Ah sure, it'll be grand :P (none need changing, but i'd say in 6 months I'll be taking off the front two and binning them).

Check tyre conditons make sure there are no visual damaged parts with bulges or cracks etc - Just have something stuck in my back right tyre. Screw possibly. Will get it fixed during the week.

Clean the battery terminals - No idea where to start on this, but sounds like an interesting one to do. Any real benefit to it?

Check the belts under the bonnet look ok (only one on the Rav 4) - Only one and it's squealy as fcuk first thing in the morning (for the first 2 minutes of driving, then it's grand). Have been told it needs to be tightened, but the type of belt that's in it can't be tightened, so it just needs to be replaced. Was also told it's not a real issue, in that nothing will go wrong with it, but i've been wanting to change it anyway. If I service her properly, I'll look into doing this myself).

Make sure that the coolant level in the over flow tank is at the full mark - Don't know what the overflow tank is, to be honest.

When cold open the radiator cap and top up the coolant - Will have to do this, also. I'd have thought this would be part of a normal full service?

Check the brake fluid is between the min and max, Top up screen wash reservoir, If you have power steerin fluid (i dont think you do) check it is topped up - These all seem to be within their normal spots, but is there any way of knowing if they could be a problem waiting to happen at all? (like you say below about the brake fluid being black).

When looking at fluids make sure they look ok - if brake fluid is very black change it - I think it's pretty black alright, but I've never really known it to be any other colour so never passed any remarks.

If you see anything worrying post back here - I see a Rav4 billowing smoke and the driver saying 'sure I just serviced her this morning!' :P

As an aside, fair play to all of ye for jumping in here to help me out. It really is very appreciated. :)

I found this (spark plug) video. Not the same Rav as mine, but I'll assume the process is much the same? Video is pretty poor but gives a rough idea.

Greasing the door hinges - Not something I'm overly concerned about as this was done when I first got it about 6-8 months ago.

Give her a wash and clean - Don't get me started on this! :mad: :P (I'm having a lot of polishing hassle with it).

Check tyre thread depth - Ah sure, it'll be grand :P (none need changing, but i'd say in 6 months I'll be taking off the front two and binning them).

Check tyre conditons make sure there are no visual damaged parts with bulges or cracks etc - Just have something stuck in my back right tyre. Screw possibly. Will get it fixed during the week.

Clean the battery terminals - No idea where to start on this, but sounds like an interesting one to do. Any real benefit to it?

Check the belts under the bonnet look ok (only one on the Rav 4) - Only one and it's squealy as fcuk first thing in the morning (for the first 2 minutes of driving, then it's grand). Have been told it needs to be tightened, but the type of belt that's in it can't be tightened, so it just needs to be replaced. Was also told it's not a real issue, in that nothing will go wrong with it, but i've been wanting to change it anyway. If I service her properly, I'll look into doing this myself).

Make sure that the coolant level in the over flow tank is at the full mark - Don't know what the overflow tank is, to be honest.

When cold open the radiator cap and top up the coolant - Will have to do this, also. I'd have thought this would be part of a normal full service?

Check the brake fluid is between the min and max, Top up screen wash reservoir, If you have power steerin fluid (i dont think you do) check it is topped up - These all seem to be within their normal spots, but is there any way of knowing if they could be a problem waiting to happen at all? (like you say below about the brake fluid being black).

When looking at fluids make sure they look ok - if brake fluid is very black change it - I think it's pretty black alright, but I've never really known it to be any other colour so never passed any remarks.

If you see anything worrying post back here - I see a Rav4 billowing smoke and the driver saying 'sure I just serviced her this morning!' :P

If the door hinges were done 8 months ago it's definitely worth doing again. Takes 5 mins.

It's worth having a good close look at the tyres as they might be badly worn on the inside edge which you wouldn't normally see. Tyre pressures wil be on a sticker inside the drivers door/passengers door or sometimes in the fuel filler cap.

Brake fluid should be a pissy yellow colour, if it's black change it immediately! I cannot stress enough how tyres and brakes aren't just "grand" as you say. They are the most important thing to check regularly on a car and by the sounds of it yours have been neglected.

If the belt is squealing and can not be tensioned further replace it. If it breaks you'll be left on the side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

Air Filter
    Spark plugs

Run the engine for 5 mins before draining the oil, helps it flow. Open the filler cap after taking off the sump nut, also helps flow.

Smear oil around the o-ring of the new oil filter, will help seal it and be easier to remove next time.

Good luck!

Edit: My bad, the above advice has already been given!

Your grand here so

In your manual. Will be in the index under tyre pressures

Just check the insude and outside of all tyres. Uneven wear can be an indication of wheels out of alignment or issues with suspension

Make sure you keep the tyres happy as they are the only part of the car in contact with the road

Just worth making sure the termnals are not damaged or have a lot of ****ty mucky corosioney stuff on them. If they do a wire brisu brings them up nice

The drive belt is only about fifteen quid. Just change it if it is noisy

The see through plastic tank with ink or green fluid in it.

Always worth checking this out

Dont worry about the screen wash and i dont think you have power steering fluid. Post back if you do

SHould be clear- piddley yellow colour. Should be changed every 2 years might never have been done Youtube eric the car guy brake fluid for a DIY video

Truth be told I'll probably end up leaving some of the stuff (brake fluid, etc.) for another time as I'll have to go out and buy the necessary bits and pieces for them.

Though I'll make a note of what's needed to be done, as I go around the car anyway.
    The see through plastic tank with ink or green fluid in it.

Whereabouts would I find this? Engine bay, or under the engine when changing oil, or? :confused:

• Advertisement

Engine bay big white plastic bottle.

Advertisement