Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

They look fantastic! Much better than the 19's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

--What a pathetic attempt to fob me off, a bloody insult.--.

Am surprised they try that :confused:
    They know (should know) it waste of time. I wonder did they put some magic bottle (sealer rubbish) stuff in there too? I worry maybe they did, oil and filter not worth doing along from there view I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

My thoughts as well. My thinking is they might have put in a thicker oil and hoped it stayed smoke free for the remainder of the short warranty. You should have seen the smoke out of it last night, I reckon its worse than before. They're having a chat about it and will let me know.
    Whatever that means. They can fix it or take it back, one or the other.

Bpmull wrote: »
    But the main thing was I replaced the pollen...

The air coming into the car is really fresh now

Hmm... Now that is an interesting post to come across. Just called a pollen filter, is it? I don't know much about cars, but I'll presume every car has one and they can be relatively easily changed?

I have noticed a dip in quality with the air coming in to the Rav4. (blamed the air con, initially, even though i wasn't using it). Wonder would this help.

Car will be due a service in the next month or two, would this be generally part of a service? (ie; should I hold off and let mechanic do it)?

Cheers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The pollen filter is generally cheap as chips, and I've yet to see a one that's difficult to fit. Google your model and see what the process is like. I reckon just replace it yourself to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

They're the rears!

Although I should have thought of that before picking a random wheel to photograph!

I mean in the fronts too in the picture of the full car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

I think front discs look to be in good proportion to the wheels. Years ago friend get 15" TSW on his car and brake discs look small (Peugeot) :eek:

The pollen filter is generally cheap as chips, and I've yet to see a one that's difficult to fit. Google your model and see what the process is like. I reckon just replace it yourself to be honest!

I'll give it a blast so. Can be step 1 in the process of eventually some day learning how to service my own car :P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

Try a Ford CMAX :pac:, sweet jesus. It's behind the head unit, at the firewall, I needed to remove fuse boards to get to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

MK2 Focus is the same :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,428 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Its an engine-out job on the Renault Fluence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

maceocc2 wrote: »
    Try a Ford CMAX :pac:, sweet jesus. It's behind the head unit, at the firewall, I needed to remove fuse boards to get to it.

I changed my one in the focus a few months ago. Some joke you have to take out the fuse board well the braket anyway then the filter itself is so far back you kind of have to feel around for it. Definitely worth doing anyway. The octavia was absolutely piss find the cover slide to the left pull out the filter replace slide the cover the opposite way job done. Doing it slowly it would take a minute.

@kkv as said in general it's cheap and easy to do. Look on YouTube you'll find a video it's generally in the passenger footwell. The filter is a service item but they are never replaced as they do t effect the engine and garages seem to be not bothered to do them in general. It's a job seriously worth doing the air quality and flow rate dramatically improves after replacing if the filter was anyway bad. Just so you know some call them pollen filters but they can also be called cabin filters. Any motor factor will have them or micksgarage normally has good brands such as Mann, Bosch at good prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    I mean in the fronts too in the picture of the full car.

Well it only a diesel after all. :pac:

Just called a pollen filter, is it?

It can be called a pollen filter, cabin filter or microfilter ;) The normal ones are cheap enough but the activated carbon ones are quite a bit more expensive.

The idea of activated carbon is to remove unpleasant smells from the air coming into the cabin whereas the normal ones just remove particles in the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

It can be called a pollen filter, cabin filter or microfilter ;) The normal ones are cheap enough but the activated carbon ones are quite a bit more expensive.

Mine is 60 quid :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

From who?

Your oil?? :P

Mine was €35 from a dealer.

dgt wrote: »
    From who?

Any motor factors i go to, however i has an ace in the hole (giggidy) :pac:

The website i got my parts from do them for 18 quid with shipping, sooooo y'know

Its my gold ya hear! mine! :pac:

Mine was free as a Birthday present from the guys in the parts department. :D

I think I spend too much time there buying things I don't relly need, and they know it. :o

• Advertisement

dar83 wrote: »
    Mine was free as a Birthday present from the guys in the parts department. :D

I think I spend too much time there buying things I don't relly need, and they know it. :o

I got a free birthday present from my parts guy too and my insurance company in December :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Superduper price too I paid 40 notes for mine.

42 but it is worth it - makes a massive difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I got a free birthday present from my parts guy too and my insurance company in December :D

Someone gets around :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

Just bought a cabin filter for the Passat myself, great price at €11.70 Mann filter as well. Also VERY easy to fit, same as the Octavia method above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I just bought a car on Thursday and spent most of the day today scrubbing the leather back to almost new. Weather permitting, I'm gonna give the exterior a couple of coats of wax tomorrow.
    Should come up like a new penny!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Removed the old seats and put in New buckets!

294236.jpg

294237.jpg

294238.jpg

294239.jpg

Apologies if the images are huge. On mobile so no idea how big they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Changed one of the back bulbs tonight when I got home and realised one of the number plate bulbs is blown.
    I think I might have a short somewhere.

Some wheel 'restoration' was todays task...

1962636_10151895411152327_2090158244_n.jpg

935160_10151895411207327_56582813_n.jpg

1922270_10151895411377327_1088226345_n.jpg

1511521_10151895411242327_1065855749_n.jpg

12725_10151895411447327_616339651_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

How long was it on Dar? Looks pretty tough.

• Advertisement

tossy wrote: »
    How long was it on Dar? Looks pretty tough.

Just under 18 months... The one I took picture of was also one of the wheels that got new tyres last Tuesday, so that's what the white marks around the edge are in the first photo. It survived even the tyres being removed/replaced without any lifting, so yeah it lasts really well once it's applied properly.

Advertisement