Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KKVs Rav4 project

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

5w30 is better for the engine but it might drink it.
    Can't remember main dealer using it...

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Air filter is only about a tenner. You prob don't need fuel filter.

I went on the assumption that you'd be using 10w40 oil. There are those that would recommend 5w30 for that engine. Not sure where I stand on that one tbh.

Plugs would be about €20.

You could get everything you need on micksgarage tbh.

Re the meet, I'm 50/50

Just ran this up on micksgarage for the craic

Are Mick's Garage Irish? (what I'm wondering is can I collect?).

And if you're going to the Midway Meet let me know in advance! (So I can present you with a bouquet of flowers and a Rav4 sash. I'll even get working on a podium you can stand on :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Micksgarage will deliver to you. Delivery is included in that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

So, if i were, for arguments sake, to take a trip to Halfords tomorrow, I'd be on the lookout for;
    a Funnel (pretty self explanatory)
    Torx - that THIS kinda thing? Is it necessary to buy a set, or would a single car stick to a single size?
    Oil Filter Remover - This boyo?

This chap is making it look relatively easy!
    Has he the wheel off for the camera, I wonder, or does it actually help. Hmm.
    It is indeed a petrol version. Are you also in a Rav? (or an Avensis, as the name suggests? Are all Toyota Petrols laid out the same/similarly?)

All that stuff you said sounds fairly straight forward, but its stuff i can't really picture in my head (will be a handy post to refer to at the time of actually doing things, though) :)

The service will be fairly handy in the rav 4 - no need to take the wheel of to change the oil. Just makes the videoing easer. I had a look and I think your air filter is on top of the engine. It pops open fairly handy. The fuel filter is not replaced unless you have a problem with the fuel system. Plugs are straightforward too.

Air filter is only about a tenner. You prob don't need fuel filter.

I went on the assumption that you'd be using 10w40 oil. There are those that would recommend 5w30 for that engine. Not sure where I stand on that one tbh.

Plugs would be about €20.

You could get everything you need on micksgarage tbh.

Re the meet, I'm 50/50

Just ran this up on micksgarage for the craic

sqmr.png
    Micksgarage will deliver to you. Delivery is included in that price.
    Toyota recommend 5w30 but a lot of lads use 10w40. My avensis takes 5w30 and doesnt burn a drop. If it starts I will switch to 10w40 but until then I ll stick with 5w30. That said we are out of winter so it shouldnt matter.

At my local motor factors they have a brand of fully synthetic 5w30 for 27 a bottle (5Liters). About forty euro for castrol edge which is a well regarded brand (4L) so this should give you an idea of cost.

5w30 is better for the engine but it might drink it.
    Can't remember main dealer using it...

Ah I'll give it a go anyway, and just keep an eye on it. If it starts going through it like it's no one's business I'll see if i change my stance.

I'll ring the Motor Factors in the morning for a price on some bits and bobs (to compare with Mick's), and if there's not a lot in the difference, i'll go with the lads in the motor factors (would prefer to get the stuff sooner rather than later, while im still interested in doing this. Otherwise it'll never get done).

Thanks a LOT for the Mick's Garage list, by the way, Colm. Extremely useful! :)

• Advertisement

Micksgarage is a good website. Just make sure you get what you order. I usually use blueprint air and pollen filters and the last time i ordered a pollen filter from them they sent me a filtermaster filter instead. The quality of the filtermaster filter doesnt feel as good.

That said their prices are very good. A blue print oil filter is less than 3 quid while it is 6.50 at my local motor factors.

They have a sale on bulbs at the minute. Osram night breaker plus bulbs which are very good are very cheap. If you spend over thirty quid you get free postage so if you order and want to see better at night ...

The service will be fairly handy in the rav 4 - no need to take the wheel of to change the oil. Just makes the videoing easer. I had a look and I think your air filter is on top of the engine. It pops open fairly handy. The fuel filter is not replaced unless you have a problem with the fuel system. Plugs are straightforward too.

Toyota recommend 5w30 but a lot of lads use 10w40. My avensis takes 5w30 and doesnt burn a drop. If it starts I will switch to 10w40 but until then I ll stick with 5w30. That said we are out of winter so it shouldnt matter.

At my local motor factors they have a brand of fully synthetic 5w30 for 27 a bottle (5Liters). About forty euro for castrol edge which is a well regarded brand (4L) so this should give you an idea of cost.

Cheers, Avensis! :)

Quick question (silly one, no doubt) but the air filter isn't the same as the pollen filter is it?

The thing I changed earlier today?!

THIS CHAP is changing the air filter on a Diesel Rav, but it looks like he's removing the same thing I took out of my petrol Rav in THIS POST?

Any petrol Ravs I'm finding are also changing just the cabin air filter (that I changed). Not sure if there is more than one type of air filter though?

The one recommended on Mick's Garage {HERE) is also around the same price I paid in Motor Factors (€12), so not sure if I'm setting myself up to do the same job, twice in a row?

Micksgarage is a good website. Just make sure you get what you order. I usually use blueprint air and pollen filters and the last time i ordered a pollen filter from them they sent me a filtermaster filter instead. The quality of the filtermaster filter doesnt feel as good.

That said their prices are very good. A blue print oil filter is less than 3 quid while it is 6.50 at my local motor factors.

They have a sale on bulbs at the minute. Osram night breaker plus bulbs which are very good are very cheap. If you spend over thirty quid you get free postage so if you order and want to see better at night ...

I actually have to say, I drive mostly at night with the fogs on (I know, I know, "lynch him!") and between those and the beams (when I'm on the road on my own, of course) the view is grand and very bright. Never had any issue or want for better bulbs.

(could just be a case that you don't know the difference til you try the better stuff, but with insurance up in 3 weeks, and my best price coming in at about €1,150, I'd rather not get too adventurous with my money)

Not a silly question. A good one actually. The car has two air filters. One for the are that comes into the cabin through the heater/ aircon which is behind the glovebox in your car. It can be called a cabin air filter, pollen filter or some people just call it an air filter which leads to confusion as the term air filter usually refers to the engine air filter which stops dirt getting into the combustion chamber.
    Both of these will cost you about a tener ish.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Change-Your-Air-Filter
    is a guide to changing the air filter. I think yours is in a plastic box on top of the engine but I am not 100% sure. If not it will be in a black box to the right of the engine.

This is a big no no. Using the foglights when you are not supposed to is dangerous and can dazzle other motorists. Also the gardai in Limerick city are clamping down on it heavily. It leads to a court appearance and a €400 fine if caught. Nowhere else seems to care about it. I think with most limerick gangsters locked up this is where the gardai are focusing their attention.

Ouch thats expensive. You must be only 18 or so. Have you tried every insurance co and a few brokers?

• Advertisement

Not a silly question. A good one actually. The car has two air filters. One for the are that comes into the cabin through the heater/ aircon which is behind the glovebox in your car. It can be called a cabin air filter, pollen filter or some people just call it an air filter which leads to confusion as the term air filter usually refers to the engine air filter which stops dirt getting into the combustion chamber.
    Both of these will cost you about a tener ish.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Change-Your-Air-Filter
    is a guide to changing the air filter. I think yours is in a plastic box on top of the engine but I am not 100% sure. If not it will be in a black box to the right of the engine.

Ah, I see. I wasn't entirely sure, and just wanted to ask. I'm assuming you're quite clued into Toyotas and their inner workings (much like Colm, himself?)

It doesn't really seem very difficult, in all fairness (changing the air filter, that is). So far everything seems to be taking shape in general.

This is a big no no. Using the foglights when you are not supposed to is dangerous and can dazzle other motorists. Also the gardai in Limerick city are clamping down on it heavily. It leads to a court appearance and a €400 fine if caught. Nowhere else seems to care about it. I think with most limerick gangsters locked up this is where the gardai are focusing their attention.

Ouch thats expensive. You must be only 18 or so. Have you tried every insurance co and a few brokers?

Ah, I think this would be one of those 'agree to disagree' things. :) I've never been dazzled by any oncoming vehicle's front fog lights (rear one is a different matter).

Only time I've ever had any issue with any front lights is when they're obviously misaligned (which is all too common, it would appear).

I find the extra light they provide to be very, very helpful, on both unlit country roads and also in housing estates (adventurous kids).

And I'm actually 25, but I've only been driving a year (this will be my first insurance renewal). :(

Ah, I see. I wasn't entirely sure, and just wanted to ask. I'm assuming you're quite clued into Toyotas and their inner workings (much like Colm, himself?)

It doesn't really seem very difficult, in all fairness (changing the air filter, that is). So far everything seems to be taking shape in general.

Ah, I think this would be one of those 'agree to disagree' things. :) I've never been dazzled by any oncoming vehicle's front fog lights (rear one is a different matter).

Only time I've ever had any issue with any front lights is when they're obviously misaligned (which is all too common, it would appear).

I find the extra light they provide to be very, very helpful, on both unlit country roads and also in housing estates (adventurous kids).

And I'm actually 25, but I've only been driving a year (this will be my first insurance renewal). :(

TBH I know what I know from the internet and figuring things out as I go and my old fellah teaching me. I work at a desk all day but like to get my hands dirty at the weekend.

Colm is a proper mechanic and fairly clued in from reading his posts here so I wouldnt be at his level.

I think mods get angry when foglights are brought up as it leads to fierce heated exchanges so we'll say no more.

TBH I know what I know from the internet and figuring things out as I go and my old fellah teaching me. I work at a desk all day but like to get my hands dirty at the weekend.

Colm is a proper mechanic and fairly clued in from reading his posts here so I wouldnt be at his level.

Colm is helpful in the extreme, to be fair to him. Since I first wanted to get a Rav he's been full of helpful advice, opinions and going as far as researching things for me and digging up old accessory manuals, etc. He's 'da man', as they all say nowadays :)

You know more than I do, though, so I appreciate all your input, Avensis :) You've cleared a few bits up for me so far :)

I think mods get angry when foglights are brought up as it leads to fierce heated exchanges so we'll say no more.

NO! YOU'RE WRONG!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

(I'm joking, of course :P)

Yeah I seen a mod message the other day saying to stop talking about fogs. Didn't realise it was forum-wide.

But regardless, on account of how I drive, I wouldn't be in a mad rush to invest in better bulbs for the car just yet. Although I very likely will at some point.

Speaking of which though, that reminds me, neither of my sidelights are working. Presumably a blown fuse. Must google that, too.

I ll put it this way i can tell you how to pop out a few filters change oil or coolant. But when you get to deeper things it goes way over my head. Colm could probably strip down your or my engine in a day. I have never gone further into an engne than taking out a spark plug. Also i think he worked for toyota dealer so he will have a good idea about what mods you can make to your car that will be good.

The bulbs was only in case you felt like gving the car a treat standard bulbs are fine.
    Side lights are only 50c a bulb at my local motor factors, Would be worth changing the bulbs first just in case they both have blown. At a cost of a euro it would be a cheap fix.
    It can happen bulbs go at the same time. I had three blow last week.

I ll put it this way i can tell you how to pop out a few filters change oil or coolant. But when you get to deeper things it goes way over my head. Colm could probably strip down your or my engine in a day. I have never gone further into an engne than taking out a spark plug. Also i think he worked for toyota dealer so he will have a good idea about what mods you can make to your car that will be good.

The bulbs was only in case you felt like gving the car a treat standard bulbs are fine.
    Side lights are only 50c a bulb at my local motor factors, Would be worth changing the bulbs first just in case they both have blown. At a cost of a euro it would be a cheap fix.
    It can happen bulbs go at the same time. I had three blow last week.

Is it not a matter of difficulty in changing them though (admittedly, I have no idea about this).

Surely a fuse wouldn't be expensive? (presumably sold in packs, rather than individually?).

The fuses have actually made me reach for the manual for the Rav, and I'm discovering things I never knew (like that they actually went to the effort of making the seats so you can pretty much sleep in them - you remove the head rests from the front seats, bring them as far forward as you can, and then you can lower the backs of the seats right down to the same height as the rear seats... so you have a long flat surface.. that's madness, and genius!).

But I also came across this 'maximum allowable speeds' guide. This is, effectively, the fastest you should ever go in a particular gear:

1st gear - 50km/h
    2nd gear - 94km/h
    3rd gear - 144km/h
    4th gear - 186km/h

Can you imagine doing 50km/h in first gear?! :eek: Haha! :D The revs would go through the roof. You'd only be driving it straight to your mechanic.

You would change the parks easy enough.
    You can get them individually. Downside with fuses is that there are so many of them in the avensis it is easy to get confused. Luckily the fuses have two little circles on them that you can use to test them. It is a bit time consuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

Whats the clearance like under the rav? would you need axle stands?

BillJ wrote: »
    Whats the clearance like under the rav? would you need axle stands?

Not something I thought of (for draining the Oil, I assume you're talking about)?

Not something I thought of (for draining the Oil, I assume you're talking about)?

Ya, but I have no idea what the clearance is so you may be ok.

Another option is an oil extractor pump, wouldn't have to get under the rav then. Never used one myself but they are apparently quiet good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Another option is an oil extractor pump, wouldn't have to get under the rav then. Never used one myself but they are apparently quiet good.

Totally against them, they cannot be as good as gravity getting every bit out!

• Advertisement

YbFocus wrote: »
    Totally against them, they cannot be as good as gravity getting every bit out!

I would have been of the same school of thought, and when I service myself I use the sump plug.

Suggested it as there was a big discussion on here and lots of experienced people were for them, can't be that bad!

Ah I don't mind getting under it. I can get it lifted with some make-shifty rubber mats if need be (til I eventually see how i get on and if i like what im doing servicing it, i'll pick up some actual ramps).

But in saying that, i'm overweight to silly levels, so im a big fella, so probably not as easy to get under the car as most would :o

Silly question, but.. 5w30 oil, is 5w30 oil, regardless of how it's packaged, yeah? This saying 'ford' means nothing, I assume?

155DA320A1184F4DB884FE10877286B1-0000333410-0003506053-01024L-C1850AD2AD1446D187C5BDD59CA72468.jpg

Can you read the spec on the bottle? It should say something like a b maybe some numbers with it?

How much was the oil. I know halfords were selling that for a tener around christmas.

A tenner? Feck it. I'd have bought about 50 litres of it :(

It was €35.99.

Here's a bigger picture, with the text readable.. i cant make head nor tale of it.

EDIT: Pic Link:

http://photos5.pix.ie/15/5D/155DA320A1184F4DB884FE10877286B1-0000333410-0003506053-02592L-D757A4CA76D640A693CCC7118DB6CAEC.jpg

no pic

Also, I was price comparing (more out of curiousity than anything else) and this is what I came up with, between Mick's Garage, Halfords and my local Motor Factors.

Now, I should say, the real reason behind my shopping around was because i've only about 60 in my bank account til i put more in (but it'll be tuesday before it actually transfers, and im impatient and want to buy stuff now) so i couldnt buy everything that was recommended from Micks Garage, so i split my shop as I'd more cash in my pocket than i had money in the bank.

But anyway, here's the comparison of pricing (NA = not available). Motor factors said they have a variety of prices (from X to Y), so i put the lowest prices below.

Prices are left to right - Mick's Garage / Halfords / Motor Factors.

21mm Spark Plug Wrench with T handle - 2.45 / 7.49 / 10.00
    "Band Style" Oil Filter Removal Tool - 3.88 / 19.49 / 12.50
    Chrome Socket Set (must include 14mm socket) - 22.00 / 18.00 / 30.00
    Plastic Funnel - 2.59 (pack of four) / 1.89 (single funnel) / 8.00 (no specifics given)
    Spark Plugs x4 (K16R-U11) - 13.16 / NA / 14.00
    Oil Drain Pan/Container - 14.95 / 8.00 / 18.00
    5w30 Engine Oil (5 Litre) - 34.26 / 35.99 / 29.50
    Oil Filters (W68/3) - 4.50 / NA / 5.95
    Air Filter - 11.18 / NA / 12.00

Some fairly contrasting prices there. Motor Factors are cheaper for the 5w30 but not a thing else. I'm very surprised by that!

no pic

Sorry, just added it. :)

One thing i find in the motor factors is the lads write a few quid down if you spend a bit. Like if you were buyng 74 quids worth of stuff they normally say 70. But that is just my local.

Also if you become a regular there they will probably look after you. A few weeks back my mother was at home with a flat battery and I was 50 miles away. Gave them a ring. They drove out to her and tried to jump start her, no joy tested the battery it was goosed (9 years old). Got new battery and fitted it for her.

There is more to consider than saving a few euro here or there. Also I notice the most common things you will need i.e. oil, oil filter, air filter and plugs are competitive at the motor factors.

I would suggest buying tools online and common service parts at the motor factors so you can build a raport with the lads there.

Also dont just look at micks garage. Amazon ebay (be careful of quality) mister auto aswell as other online motor factors are options too.

Cant really see it but since it is fully synth 5w30 it is probably ok.
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_253905_langId_-1_categoryId_212419
    might have been a better buy as I just checked and according to the castrol website the car holds 3.7L of oil and is the right spec.

By the way I am working my way through this lads videos.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCT8gSOpkWM
    He is breaking down a vvti toyota engine and rebuilding it. English isnt his first language so the commentry isnt great but he seems to know mechanics well.

• Advertisement

There is more to consider than saving a few euro here or there.

Oh, that's absolutely true. And I will use them, as the lads are absolutely sound and recently changed a battery in my brothers car for free (unless it was already worked into the price of the battery) and I do use them for bits and bobs (and will continue to).

But they also seem heavily geared towards supplying mechanics (with trade discounts) so I don't think they'll miss my custom if I decide to buy a few bits elsewhere. I will use them a lot though (I know I will), but right now it's more a matter of convenience, really (they said they'd have to order a few bits in if i wanted them, and to be honest, the practicality of Mick's delivering is just easier right now for me, using bank balance, etc. while I'm at home anyway).

Cant really see it but since it is fully synth 5w30 it is probably ok.
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_253905_langId_-1_categoryId_212419
    might have been a better buy as I just checked and according to the castrol website the car holds 3.7L of oil and is the right spec.

Does it matter, though? I mean if there's actually any difference in the oil, I could always return the oil I bought and pay the extra €1 (won't break the bank).

But if Fully Synthetic 5w30 is pretty much the same regardless of packaging, then I wouldn't really be bothered, to be honest.

I checked the oil in the Rav today, 9,000 miles after it's last service. It's certainly not drinking it. It was still nearly full (though going a dark brown).

By the way I am working my way through this lads videos.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCT8gSOpkWM
    He is breaking down a vvti toyota engine and rebuilding it. English isnt his first language so the commentry isnt great but he seems to know mechanics well.

Ah, I think that's all a bit too much for my little head at the moment. Anything that involved working with the engine will be into my mechanic, I'd say. Generic Servicing is a push for me at the moment so I'd only confuse myself (and I won't lie, I watched and flicked through the video and I haven't a bean whats going on in there.. :o ).

Advertisement