Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin : FF no longer toxic brand

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

ChicagoJoe wrote: »
    My girlfriend is starting to wonder is this FG/Lab govt worse than previous FF lead govt - and that's saying something.

They certainly are just as bad as FF. FG/Labour were given a golden opportunity to side with the people and defeat all the corruption but no. This whole Irish Water fiasco just shows how poisonous Irish politics (both sides of it, government AND opposition) is. I will not be voting for anyone next time around that's for sure: none of them deserve us wasting time on them. Ireland is unique as a dictatorial society where the people just lie back and take it, and the regime does not even have to silence the press, kill anyone or even form a one party state.

For Reals wrote: »
    We seem to do this a lot. A Fianna Fail crew come along, **** us and then we buy into the next wave...they **** us, then we buy.....

Labour sold out for a seat at the big table, Fine Gael are true to form with the right-wing austerity, but more incompetent and corrupt than I had expected, (O'Reilly/Medical Centers, Irish Water etc.).

However, for me, Fianna Fail should be banned from politics while under investigation for fraud, criminal ineptitude and treason.

Fianna Fail have largely initialised all this dishonest type of politics and it is clear that certain members should be tried for criminal and fraudulent activities. The very worst anyone got was a week or month in prison (Ray Burke, who was not nearly as bad as others).

Fine Gael promised a lot and their continuation of elite-protecting austerity is a surprise compared to their election promises. The other stuff like Irish Water also are very akin to Fianna Fail. Labour have ALL the worst ministers in the current government who have done untoward damage to ordinary people's jobs - the likes of Quinn and Howlin are among the worst and most anti-people ministers ever (but only in this government have they turned into the devil: they were better in previous ones). CRC is more of the seemingly endless corruption that goes on and Howlin is quite happy to make 1000s unemployed while this CRC and Irish Water fiasco goes on.

Then, if we get rid of Kenny's Cowboys, we will replace them with Martin's Morons. Irish politics and its corrupt, uncaring, dictatorial flavour stinks to high heavens.

gandalf wrote: »
    More examples of the Bertie elites miking of the system today with the relevations about the former CEO of the CRC and Bertie's mate! Great at feathering their own nests with taxpayers and charities monies these FFers and their hangers on!

And that's part of the problem to this day. We got rid of Bertie and then FF only to see continuity from the current FG lead administration. What makes it worse is Labour's murder of ordinary public sector jobs. Irish Water, CRC, etc. are all headed by notorious Bertie-era toxic individuals who the current government continue to back. Where's our vote?!?!?!?!?!

There a ****ing scourge on the country.

How can you rob money from disabled charitys?

In other countries, this would not happen. Bertie's corrupt colleagues would be turfed out by the takeover administration. The election of February 2011 was heralded as a type of velvet revolution, a major answer yes by the Irish people to end corruption, austerity, cronyism, elitism, and other dictatorial trends that were instilled into Irish politics. Instead, we get more of all the above and I know that the people, especially in rural areas, are far poorer now than in 2011.

Sometimes, I worry a lot about the way this country is heading. We are not at the level of the North Koreas or Eritreas by any means but another 5 years of austerity and who knows what could happen? Violent revolution, war, a complete economic breakdown (and I mean the REAL economy not the breakdown of the elite's empire in 2008 which the REAL economy is paying to save!). The way Irish politics is going, they would starve the people to balance the books for themselves and their elitist friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

And that's part of the problem to this day. We got rid of Bertie and then FF only to see continuity from the current FG lead administration. What makes it worse is Labour's murder of ordinary public sector jobs. Irish Water, CRC, etc. are all headed by notorious Bertie-era toxic individuals who the current government continue to back. Where's our vote?!?!?!?!?!

The public service was (and still is) massively over staffed. Those jobs needed to be cut. Extremely hard for the people and their families I know but I'm afraid thems the brakes. When a country is borrowing several billion a year just to cover current expenditure it cannot continue to employ as many people as it did during times of prosperity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

The public service was (and still is) massively over staffed. Those jobs needed to be cut. Extremely hard for the people and their families I know but I'm afraid thems the brakes. When a country is borrowing several billion a year just to cover current expenditure it cannot continue to employ as many people as it did during times of prosperity.

Agreed

The money should be saved by kicking out the guys at the top on obscene money. Contracts, etc. I know but retire them, tax them more, eliminate these positions. Ordinary people's jobs should NEVER be affected and the state owes its educated workforce a livelihood in sectors not catered for by the private sector.

Borrowing several billion a year has a lot more to do with the crazy stuff like PPARS, voting machines, consultants, etc. not to mention our overpaid political class that we continue to see with Irish Water and the like. I also agree that there are a lot of 'dolemen' (as distinct from unemployed: I mean people who thrive on being unemployed and have no intention of working) and the money should be reallocated from here to provide work for all those unemployed qualified people. Ireland is a sick country at the moment and it encourages wrongdoings from the top to the bottom. Billions can easily be saved without hurting the good, decent workers of Ireland that's for sure.

nuac wrote: »
    Agreed

No one's ordinary jobs need to be cut. Would one approve of killing innocent civilians in Iraq and murder 1000s of them because Saddam was a bad guy? No. I'm sick of politicians speaking in statistics and saying we need 'tough medicine' and 'have to make tough decisions' etc with total disregard for the people they hurt be that Ireland's dictatorship economy or Bush's mad wars. The same disregard for life is there.

There is a better way. Way too many rich elite and 'dolemen' (as distinct from genuine unemployed) scroungers in this country who discourage people to work. That's what should be cut. Ordinary admin staff, lecturers, teachers, doctors, potential gardai, etc. have to bear the brunt of evil cutbacks to keep scroungers and elites in income. Not right. Only in a failed entity like here would sick policies like this be implemented.

No one in Ireland should even bother going to college, etc. now. No point!! Go down to the dole office and put on a limp and say 'you can't work' and you will end up far better! That's what's wrong. Try your best and you get damn all and be a chancer and you get everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

My take on this the reason this Government have not been decisive is because it is a coalition one. It is paralysed from making the very hard decisions because it doesn't sit well with one or the other partners ethoses.

If FG had got in as a majority Government then I believe the cuts and reforms would have been a lot more brutal but it all would have occurred a lot more quickly and just maybe the country would be on a better upward spiral at this stage. I am no fanboy for FG but some of their pre-election utterings were the closest to those that I have come to believe about reforming our Governmental instruments which is why I voted for them.

We need to overhaul our whole Political system in both Local and National Government and unfortunately no party exists at this moment who will make those wide ranging changes.

As someone who is currently looking for a job I hope this Government get their act together with making a positive environment conductive to growth in the SME sector where we have the best opportunity in making a dent in the unemployment figures and not from keeping overpopulated and bloated public sectors jobs in place that are surplus to modern requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

The public service was (and still is) massively over staffed.

Where's the proof of that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

eigrod wrote: »
    Where's the proof of that ?

:eek::All around you. Public service is way overstaffed in some departments although the health service needs more staff quickly. Public expenditure in wages alone is just too high. However this could have been justified if the services the state funds and directs were UP TO STANDARD. they are not and as a consequence the ordinary person is suffering by either been forced on long ques or emirgate to seek better employment and standard of living

My take on this the reason this Government have not been decisive is because it is a coalition one. It is paralysed from making the very hard decisions because it doesn't sit well with one or the other partners ethoses.

If FG had got in as a majority Government then I believe the cuts and reforms would have been a lot more brutal but it all would have occurred a lot more quickly and just maybe the country would be on a better upward spiral at this stage. I am no fanboy for FG but some of their pre-election utterings were the closest to those that I have come to believe about reforming our Governmental instruments which is why I voted for them.

We need to overhaul our whole Political system in both Local and National Government and unfortunately no party exists at this moment who will make those wide ranging changes.

As someone who is currently looking for a job I hope this Government get their act together with making a positive environment conductive to growth in the SME sector where we have the best opportunity in making a dent in the unemployment figures and not from keeping overpopulated and bloated public sectors jobs in place that are surplus to modern requirements.

That is all very true about coalitions. Most of the recent Irish governments have been poor and all have been coalitions. The jury is still out on this government, we will see what happens by 2016. A major problem is that Ireland's elitist culture transcends party politics. For example, fiascos like CRC or Irish Water would happen no matter who was in power.

We need both a healthy, job creating public and private sector. We need to get rid of overpaid officials at the top and all those consultants (Irish Water, etc. come to mind). Also, people with no intention of ever working and who scrounge off of social welfare have to be tackled - I don't mean genuine unemployed here but the 'doleman' culture where people prefer to be unemployed and scrounge off the state forever. Billions can be saved here without damaging our frontline public sector jobs and services. With regard to the private sector, more entrepreneurial initiates need to be established and an environment healthy for new Irish SME startups to succeed needs to be established. Rent, rates and insurance need to be reformed bigtime here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

:eek::All around you. Public service is way overstaffed in some departments although the health service needs more staff quickly. Public expenditure in wages alone is just too high. However this could have been justified if the services the state funds and directs were UP TO STANDARD. they are not and as a consequence the ordinary person is suffering by either been forced on long ques or emirgate to seek better employment and standard of living

That's not proof....that's conjecture. Got any links to any recent reports or studies to say it's overstaffed ? Why, you even say certain parts are understaffed.

Obviously, the public sector needs reform. There are too many chiefs and not enough indians here. Ordinary frontline jobs are needed but these are the ones often cut. Huge waste exists and bureaucratic inefficiencies prevail bringing down the quality of services for everyone.

That's not proof....that's conjecture. Got any links to any recent reports or studies to say it's overstaffed ? Why, you even say certain parts are understaffed.

Ordinary public sector jobs are understaffed. The problem is the lads at the top always. Too many heads of departments, registrars, etc. Hospitals, colleges, FAS, etc. all run on that model and often useless people reach the top.

What is even worse are all these semi-state bodies and services out there. Projects like PPARS, the voting machines, CRC, Irish Water and the like These are certainly not pinups for public-private sector collaboration.

http://www.irisheconomy.ie/index.php/2011/09/11/public-pay-and-the-sindo/
    http://www.irishhealth.com/discussion/message.html?dis=2&topic=20536

I rest my case

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

I don't think ff should be voted back in,but people seem to have forgotten what damage it did

I don't think ff should be voted back in,but people seem to have forgotten what damage it did
    YES your right the general public seem to have very short memories
    http://www.redcresearch.ie/news/paddy-power-poll-jan-2014

Yet the general election is the only poll that really matters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Never underestimate what the promise of a new road will do for votes. Fianna fail can manipulate like no other party I've ever seen!

Never underestimate what the promise of a new road will do for votes. Fianna fail can manipulate like no other party I've ever seen!

Yes they buy voters with empty promises

• Advertisement

Yes they buy voters with empty promises

Oh no, they'll deliver the promises. Put in doing so they will bankrupt a nation again! And not feel a share of guilt.

And make there galway tent buddies very rich in the process!

Oh no, they'll deliver the promises. Put in doing so they will bankrupt a nation again! And not feel a share of guilt.

And make there galway tent buddies very rich in the process!

That is a bit extreme . it is highly unlikely they will make the same mistakes again.

That is all very true about coalitions. Most of the recent Irish governments have been poor and all have been coalitions. The jury is still out on this government, we will see what happens by 2016. A major problem is that Ireland's elitist culture transcends party politics. For example, fiascos like CRC or Irish Water would happen no matter who was in power.

They certainly have dropped the ball badly with the CRC and Irish Water and how they sort them out will define whether this Government have been effective or not. As someone else reminded us the glorious leader of FF was the Minister of Health when the Bertie Board of the CRC were appointed. He is certainly being very quiet at the moment ;)
    We need both a healthy, job creating public and private sector. We need to get rid of overpaid officials at the top and all those consultants (Irish Water, etc. come to mind). Also, people with no intention of ever working and who scrounge off of social welfare have to be tackled - I don't mean genuine unemployed here but the 'doleman' culture where people prefer to be unemployed and scrounge off the state forever. Billions can be saved here without damaging our frontline public sector jobs and services. With regard to the private sector, more entrepreneurial initiates need to be established and an environment healthy for new Irish SME startups to succeed needs to be established. Rent, rates and insurance need to be reformed bigtime here.

When I say overstaffed I certainly don't mean the front line staff, they are being sacrificed for the layers of fat that are in the system above them and specifically the seat fillers who have been promoted for no other reason other than they have been around the longest and into positions that were created by the disastrously Bertie conceived social partnership.

Just look at the HSE it is a prime example of waste on unnecessary staffing levels in back office departments at the expense of the front line. I know they are starting a "targeted redundancy program" but I fully expect it to be botched and in the worst case scenario they may even hire the retirees back like other Public Sector redundancy schemes because they let all the experience out of the sector they were trimming down.

Rents reform is another major failure by the current Government and certainly would make a major difference to struggling businesses and start ups. Rates would be directly connected with Local Authority reform and needs to be addressed, I have learnt this from directly researching setting up a business which we abandoned because of the costs involved.

As a current customer of the Social Welfare something does need to be done about the people who have not made an effort to ever get a job. We really need to have a diminishing rate of Social Welfare over the longer term but couple it with real relevant re-educational so they have the correct tools to get a job in the sectors that need them and to build their confidence. FAS or Intreo as it is currently configured is not up to this job as it is currently configured from my experience.

That is a bit extreme . it is highly unlikely they will make the same mistakes again.

Really?

Sure the party is been run by a man that supported Bertie ahern right till the end. Its exactly the same party as it was ten Years ago!

Corruption is indemic in that party. As will be proved once the banking court cases start this year!

They broke the country in the eighties and they did it again in the noughties! They certainly don't learn from the past and not only is a Bertie stalwart in control but several others are now threatening to crawl out from under the stones they fled to after the last election to get their "fix" of power again.

I see no evidence of them reforming or learning from the past at all.

Really?

Sure the party is been run by a man that supported Bertie ahern right till the end. Its exactly the same party as it was ten Years ago!

Corruption is indemic in that party. As will be proved once the banking court cases start this year!

Firstly calm michael 999999.

I did not say i was against you. I just made a valid point on how fianna fail has a good change of returning to power in the next election. Fine gael was wiped out in 2002 but rebuilt itself. FF will do the same . Irish politics is not simple as you suggest . it is a complex matter which obviously you have taken personally with the conduct of FF . FF is tarnished yet they are gaining ground at the expense of labour retaking the centre left position.

They certainly have dropped the ball badly with the CRC and Irish Water and how they sort them out will define whether this Government have been effective or not. As someone else reminded us the glorious leader of FF was the Minister of Health when the Bertie Board of the CRC were appointed. He is certainly being very quiet at the moment ;)

When I say overstaffed I certainly don't mean the front line staff, they are being sacrificed for the layers of fat that are in the system above them and specifically the seat fillers who have been promoted for no other reason other than they have been around the longest and into positions that were created by the disastrously Bertie conceived social partnership.

Just look at the HSE it is a prime example of waste on unnecessary staffing levels in back office departments at the expense of the front line. I know they are starting a "targeted redundancy program" but I fully expect it to be botched and in the worst case scenario they may even hire the retirees back like other Public Sector redundancy schemes because they let all the experience out of the sector they were trimming down.

Rents reform is another major failure by the current Government and certainly would make a major difference to struggling businesses and start ups. Rates would be directly connected with Local Authority reform and needs to be addressed, I have learnt this from directly researching setting up a business which we abandoned because of the costs involved.

As a current customer of the Social Welfare something does need to be done about the people who have not made an effort to ever get a job. We really need to have a diminishing rate of Social Welfare over the longer term but couple it with real relevant re-educational so they have the correct tools to get a job in the sectors that need them and to build their confidence. FAS or Intreo as it is currently configured is not up to this job as it is currently configured from my experience.

I notice Martin and FF are talking bigtime about Irish Water but not the CRC for the reason you state. Martin is the wrong man to lead an Irish political party at present as he is so steeped in all the bad stuff that went on under Bertie and co. Martin also commissioned too many reports in his time and made many dodgy consultants rich.

Bertie's social partnership and also benchmarking were cons that allowed the political class and the top civil servants to increase their salaries four fold often. The guys at the very top creamed it off and Ireland's politicians climbed from being near the poorest paid in Europe to being the second best paid in Europe (after ......... Greece!!).

The HSE in general shows all that is wrong in government and our public service. And guess who was instrumental in establishing the HSE as we know it? A guy called Micheal Martin! Frontline staff cut back and plush office jobs created, with a view to protecting the minister for health from being blamed for inefficiencies in the health service.

Setting up a business is a very brave move and is hampered by high set up costs such as rent, rates and insurance. Far from being open for business, Ireland is often closed for business for many.

Ireland does need to get away from social welfare dependency, be it genuinely unemployed or 'dolemen'. Genuinely unemployed should be helped in every effort to get a job in their required discipline and given all the help needed. FAS, the VECs, third level colleges, etc. all need to be funded more to develop better courses for those willing to upskill. As regards the 'dolemen', they should also work too: no one has the right to decide to sit back and con the state out of money by refusing to work at anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

They didn't make any mistakes. That's the problem.
    Saying 'mistake' makes it sound like they didn't mean to bleed the country dry, over inflate and bleed it a little more.
    Them and there's made out like bandits. The only fly in the ointment for them is they pushed it so far that the bottom fell out and we noticed. So a few years in the minor leagues and they'll be back as before.

Firstly calm michael 999999.

I did not say i was against you. I just made a valid point on how fianna fail has a good change of returning to power in the next election. Fine gael was wiped out in 2002 but rebuilt itself. FF will do the same . Irish politics is not simple as you suggest . it is a complex matter which obviously you have taken personally with the conduct of FF . FF is tarnished yet they are gaining ground at the expense of labour retaking the centre left position.

Irish politics is essentially FF and FG governments with some coalition partner. The coalition partner usually does very poorly next time out. FF and FG tend to recover.

At present, FG remains the most popular party and FF has taken second place. Labour are down. SF and independents are on the rise. And hardline leftwing parties like Republican Sinn Fein, 32 county sovereignty movement, Eirigi and Socialist Workers Party maintain limited support and have not capitalised on recent events.

In general, voters are quick to forget the past and regard the last FF government as a problem and enemy from 2011 that was got rid of then. Voters either see the current government as the new enemy or an improvement on the old one and will vote accordingly.

2011-2014 showed the current government to be poor overall. However, their test as a government will be seen more from now until 2016 and how they handle reversal of early mistakes, how many jobs they create, how the economy will perform, and how they handle scandals like Irish Water and CRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭patrickn

F.F. are in my opinion in for a strange cycle of elections in the locals and general elections. Their support base seems to be levelling out at the mid 20s.

In the locals that would be a drop in support from what they got in 2009 leading to a loss of some seats and a calling for the head of M.M.

However if they were to get mid 20s in a General election in 2016 they could quite possibly double their seats in the Dail. Their strategy should be where they have 2 seats in a constituency (only 1) they field 2. Where they have 1 seat they field 2 and where they have no seat they field 1.

Now with the Soldiers of Destiny chomping at the bit to run this will be some task to curtail all the prospective candidates. At mid 20s support a seat in every constituency is achievable and may sneak in a second where their was previously one.

Advertisement