Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin : FF no longer toxic brand

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Being frank I wouldn't vote for FF now as I see them as anti-Irish and a threat to our people and our country.

As a 30 year old I have a very dim view of FF of course, maybe older people have some more positive memories of them.

Unless FF really turn things around I can't see myself voting for them in the future, it would feel like I was betraying my country. :(

I guess I feel the same way about any organisation that I believe have hurt our people and our country, the hierarchy of the Catholic Church would fall into the same category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

FF are not toxic and never were.

The absolute tribal nature of Irish politics means they never will be either.

Michael Martin will be the next Taoiseach and will probably go into Government with Sin Fein to achieve it, and the land will rejoice.

As absolutely appalling as that all sounds, I fear it will probably be the case. :(

I think FG got in on FF "damage control" votes as much as they did on an actual revolt against the FF party.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭IrishProd

[Jackass] wrote: »

LMAO.

(Apt username)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

[Jackass] wrote: »

The absolute tribal nature of Irish politics means they never will be either.

Michael Martin will be the next Taoiseach and will probably go into Government with Sin Fein to achieve it, and the land will rejoice.

As absolutely appalling as that all sounds, I fear it will probably be the case. :(

I think FG got in on FF "damage control" votes as much as they did on an actual revolt against the FF party.

I must disagree with everything you said above

FF disgust most people.

Most people are not involved in tribal politics.

Michael Martin will never be Taoiseach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭grainnewhale

raymon wrote: »
    I must disagree with everything you said above

FF disgust most people.

Most people are not involved in tribal politics.

Michael Martin will never be Taoiseach.

You really need to get over this. Don't let your obsession eat you up. History has proven that there will be another f.f government. Don't take it so bad. Given that the options or f.f or f.g and there is no discernible difference, unless you are a member of either, then it will have no effect on your life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

But the choice of who is in government must affect the lives of people otherwise you are saying that the government don't have any influence on a countries direction.

Maybe you are right and the power really lies with senior civil servants. Although that undermines the whole idea of democracy in Ireland so I hope you're wrong.

Or maybe what you're saying is a good excuse to absolve any political party of their wrongs, whether it's FF or anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

IrishProd wrote: »
    LMAO.

(Apt username)

Wow, relax. I'm not sure you understand my post. I'm not advocating it, merely pointing out a sad reality.

I think people are grossly overestimating the sincere disgust towards Fianna Fail and I think you're giving the Irish electorate far too much credit if you say they're anything but tribal.

But the choice of who is in government must affect the lives of people otherwise you are saying that the government don't have any influence on a countries direction.

Maybe you are right and the power really lies with senior civil servants. Although that undermines the whole idea of democracy in Ireland so I hope you're wrong.

Or maybe what you're saying is a good excuse to absolve any political party of their wrongs, whether it's FF or anyone else.

my point is that if you didn't know who was in government. Then you would have no way of telling from your daily slog. Regardless of who is in government those in the private sector will always be shafted. Given that the only difference in f.f and f.g policies is when they are in opposition. we will never have a different direction until s.f get into power.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

Regardless of who is in government those in the private sector will always be shafted.

You really believe that ? You really believe that the horse racing industry, the betting industry, landowners, landlords and countless others got shafted under FF ? Incredible if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

You really need to get over this. Don't let your obsession eat you up. History has proven that there will be another f.f government. Don't take it so bad. Given that the options or f.f or f.g and there is no discernible difference, unless you are a member of either, then it will have no effect on your life.

No obsession here , thanks. Just don't like to see dodgy politicians getting away with it.

Thanks for your great input to the discussion.

• Advertisement

raymon wrote: »
    No obsession here , thanks. Just don't like to see dodgy politicians getting away with it.

Thanks for your great input to the discussion.

You should have a read through your own input. Your ability to analyse, your well thought out and constructive arguments and impartial insights are truly mesmerising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Being frank I wouldn't vote for FF now as I see them as anti-Irish and a threat to our people and our country.

As a 30 year old I have a very dim view of FF of course, maybe older people have some more positive memories of them.

Unless FF really turn things around I can't see myself voting for them in the future, it would feel like I was betraying my country. :(

I guess I feel the same way about any organisation that I believe have hurt our people and our country, the hierarchy of the Catholic Church would fall into the same category.

I would not vote for any of the current Irish parties under their present 'leaders'. All fake promises and only serve to protect elites. While there hasn't been a truly great Irish government for decades, the governments of recent times have really taken the mick.

Bertie clearly was the worst thing to ever happen FF and possibly Ireland. His insatiable appetite for power along with his crooked ways of doing so were initially camouflaged by his peace process achievements and ability to unite the party (FF was divided for years between pro and anti Haughey people: what does Bertie do? Give them all more money hence the increase in TDs salaries and they are all onside!). But between 1997 and 1999, the Irish economy was doing well. The Celtic Tiger. Maybe, just maybe, Irish corruption was gone?

But, 2000 saw the collapse of the IT sector and disaster for Ireland's MNC dominated economy. A forgotten recession took hold around this time (Foot and Mouth would not help either in 2001 and then 9/11) but nevertheless, the people never took it out on Bertie. Afterall, in post IT, pre building Ireland of 2002, Bertie got back! And the Irish economy took off like mad! Anything from 1994-1999 was a picnic compared to what we were to see from 2003 to 2008!! Building, property portfolios, rent, retail, and all the professional and educational services to go with it sprung up. Ireland was made! The second richest country in the world. We would never see dark days like the 1920s-1950s, 1970s-1993 or 2000-2002 ever again! The Irish economy was now Built in Ireland!

However, look at the world at the same time for answers: 9/11 followed up by that madman in the white house at the time was preparing to invade lots of countries and got bogged down in Iraq thus ensuring that the US economy was going to crash violently. Terrorism all over the place. Japan still struggling. The EU was poorly too. Buffoons taking control of Iran in 2005 and remaining in power until 2013. Wars everywhere. Dear oil caused by all the trouble. Reckless lending, corrupt laundering, cooking the books ...

Ireland's economy was built on a house of sand and came crashing down in 2008. The intention since then was to protect the elite and their assets to the detriment of the people. Ahern got out in 2007 knowing his 'dream' was fake!

FF deserve what they got in 2011 election without a doubt. But our current government are just as bad. They were voted in on a promise of reversing the unfair cutbacks and unjust elitist policies. Yet, they have implemented many policies such as hospital and VEC amalgamations, the abolition of FAS, the merging of different councils, etc. that ALL have resulted in the loss of ordinary jobs. Who asked for this cr@p? Who would have voted for this regime if they said they were going to implement such policies? No one. What makes this government even worse is that they regard this as reform!

The current government are 100% illegitimate as they are implementing policies counter to what the people elected them for. Since they are still in power against what the people want, Ireland is a dictatorship. The current government has that distinction on Bertie: Bertie was elected because at first he delivered. This crowd promised a fairer country but have caused more hurt and pain while living lavishly. Ireland is a country where doctors, teachers, lecturers, businessmen, skilled tradespeople, etc. are the ones who are homeless because the regime has taken away their jobs. Yet, our TDs continue to keep all the perks Bertie introduced! :(

Irish politics is very seriously ill at present. Our leaders do not care about their people. As long as FG, FF, and Labour are lead by Kenny, Martin and Gilmore, they are ALL toxic muck that would make their late founders turn in their grave. SF are not the thing either and the indos are just fodder. God save Ireland from the anti-heroes!!

. Ireland is a country where doctors, teachers, lecturers, businessmen, skilled tradespeople, etc. are the ones who are homeless because the regime has taken away their jobs. Yet, our TDs continue to keep all the perks Bertie introduced! :(

Irish politics is very seriously ill at present. Our leaders do not care about their people. As long as FG, FF, and Labour are lead by Kenny, Martin and Gilmore, they are ALL toxic muck that would make their late founders turn in their grave. SF are not the thing either and the indos are just fodder. God save Ireland from the anti-heroes!!

Is this bit a joke or sarcasm.

Is this bit a joke or sarcasm.

It is not a joke or sarcasm! It is unfortunately fact! A lot of professionals and business people suffered very badly and ended up homeless. Not every homeless person is an uneducated lifelong wino you know!! More often than not, they fell into being homeless because they lost their job and have massive debts due to mortgages.

A lot of people don't realise the awful situation for some in Ireland. I see homeless people here in Cork every day and some are the typical winos and others definitely are not. More turn into winos because of what has happened here.

Our politicians deserve to be homeless and I'd love to see one of them on the streets. No, 1000 of them! But if they lose their job, they get another on some board! Sickening.

It is not a joke or sarcasm! It is unfortunately fact! A lot of professionals and business people suffered very badly and ended up homeless. Not every homeless person is an uneducated lifelong wino you know!! More often than not, they fell into being homeless because they lost their job and have massive debts due to mortgages.

A lot of people don't realise the awful situation for some in Ireland. I see homeless people here in Cork every day and some are the typical winos and others definitely are not. More turn into winos becauSse of what has happened here.

Our politicians deserve to be homeless and I'd love to see one of them on the streets. No, 1000 of them! But if they lose their job, they get another on some board! Sickening.

So you are standing by your claim, that there are doctors, teachers and lecturers sleeping rough.

So you are standing by your claim, that there are doctors, teachers and lecturers sleeping rough.

Yes, of course there are!! They were these professions and lost their jobs because of Kenny and co's insane policies. Homelessness does not recognise how educated, intelligent or successful a person was and this and recent governments don't appreciate anybody. Poverty likewise is not just for the unintelligent or those from council estates. Indeed, those in council estates are not all just druggies, etc. They are often intelligent, very well educated people who have fallen on hard times because of what the likes of politicians at home and abroad (Bush and his Iraq war/subprime mortgage fiascos) have done to the country and world.

Watch the ad with the guy who plays Damian in Fair City. That puts homelessness on the map. It is not just faceless, nameless winos! Everyone from a low level drug dealer to a brain surgeon can be homeless. It is like heart disease or cancer: it does not select who should and should not be homeless. However, our government has the power to get rid of policies that cause issues like homelessness. Our government are worse than useless and through either incompetence or corruption or laziness or just that they don't even realise what is going on in reality they have failed our people. FF. FG. Labour. All the same. SF? Not tried yet, put more than likely the same. Irish politics seems to be a front for avarice and legalised robbery from the people who the likes of Kenny and Martin would spit on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Irish politics is general is still toxic and I don't believe I'm being cynical in saying that.

I will vote for Fine Gael again, simply because there is no alternative

dont vote at all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

So Mary Hanafin was on Newstalk this morning, putting her hat in for the next general election.

It seems all the Fianna fail rats are scurrying out of there nests!

The party will never change!

So Mary Hanafin was on Newstalk this morning, putting her hat in for the next general election.

It seems all the Fianna fail rats are scurrying out of there nests!

The party will never change!

Of course they all will and they will have all the answers while in opposition. Then, they'll enter government and continue on the same useless policies. Enda Kenny lead FG and Mehole Martin lead FF are two sides of the same corrupt, dictatorship coin and the electorate deserve better than these greedy, mean, selfish, ungodly politicians who only care about themselves.

dont vote at all

No Irish party with the current leaders deserves our vote. FF is lead by Martin, a man steeped in Bertie's corruption. FG is lead by Enda Kenny, who decided to go down a very poor choice of road since coming to power in 2011 (he was handed a golden opportunity to truly be our greatest leader and instead squandered it and once again decided to be a dictator on the side of corruption). Labour is the same. SF has a leader who may be involved in some very horrible crimes.

FG, SF, FF and Labour may well get someone decent leading them someday but not in the foreseeable. That's for sure.

• Advertisement

No Irish party with the current leaders deserves our vote. FF is lead by Martin, a man steeped in Bertie's corruption. FG is lead by Enda Kenny, who decided to go down a very poor choice of road since coming to power in 2011 (he was handed a golden opportunity to truly be our greatest leader and instead squandered it and once again decided to be a dictator on the side of corruption). Labour is the same. SF has a leader who may be involved in some very horrible crimes.

FG, SF, FF and Labour may well get someone decent leading them someday but not in the foreseeable. That's for sure.

s.f is led by somebody who put his country before his own personal safety.he put his life on the line for his country and stood up to the bullies. name one other party leader whp would be prepared to do this.

s.f is led by somebody who put his country before his own personal safety.he put his life on the line for his country and stood up to the bullies. name one other party leader whp would be prepared to do this.

In fairness to Michael martin, he did put all that developers cash in he's wife's account.

That was self sacrificing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Curiously consensus says that the best Taoiseach we had was Lemas, a gunman in his day and a genuine patriot who wished the best for the country, with some success.

Until the mohair suits got in it does appear the generation of gunmen did at least care and had a motivation other than personal advancement...

Curiously consensus says that the best Taoiseach we had was Lemas, a gunman in his day and a genuine patriot who wished the best for the country, with some success.

Until the mohair suits got in it does appear the generation of gunmen did at least care and had a motivation other than personal advancement...

Yes, he was our best Taoiseach and he cared about what he was doing. The values of the OLD IRA are gallant and noble and, while attrocities happened in those early wars and there were bad among the old IRA too, the values of good old IRA people like Lemass is what allowed Ireland to progress.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

When FG/Lab came to power , the troika was already in place and our destiny was fixed. If you want to judge them, look at what they do between now and the next election.

My view is that while the current government may be bad, we are still transitioning from ff style politics to less corrupt politics. Once we remove ff from our political landscape, the other parties will start to improve (hopefully)

Said on the news this morning that some very important documents to do with the banking enquiry have gone missing.

It seems Fianna fail are really covering there tracks!

When FG/Lab came to power , the troika was already in place and our destiny was fixed. If you want to judge them, look at what they do between now and the next election.

My view is that while the current government may be bad, we are still transitioning from ff style politics to less corrupt politics. Once we remove ff from our political landscape, the other parties will start to improve (hopefully)

Whether or not the troika has exited too early or not, one good point from now on is that our current government can no longer implement unpopular/wrong policies and shift the blame to the troika. They are from now on 100% responsible for their decisions (just like always: the troika never had to power to decide where to cut) and hopefully this will be an incentive for them to move away from dictatorship and embrace a more democratic and caring model.

Reverse the hospital, VEC, FAS, etc. cutbacks and re-employ all those ORDINARY workers who lost their jobs. Then, pension off all the overpaid elite (who have more than enough money and investments to live comfortably) and create more and more opportunities. Also, create a proper environment for the development of an entrepreneurial private sector that can thrive based on real and not pipe dream ideas. Any government who can do this has my vote.

I can never see FF totally gone but what I would hope is that FF Will be lead by less toxic people and hopefully this will influence Irish politics for the better. Either way, Kenny or Martin do not deserve to be Toaiseach. The people deserve better alternatives and FF and FG surely have more talent than that. If both parties are serious about reform any time soon, they have to get rid of anyone tainted with corruption/cutbacks/austerity/false promises. Otherwise, the trust between electorate and government will remain very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Sorry have to respond to this. The current leader of SF would be the most unsuitable person to lead this country. Whilst the other leaders have sins to confess to at least they do not have their hands drenched in blood from directly being responsible for murder. Adams does. He also was a parachuted candidate in Louth and initially seemed completely clueless about Politics down south of the border. He has questions to answer about his brothers child abuse of his niece. Maybe after he and all those directly involved in terrorist activities fade into the background then SF might become a viable option for the general population. Then again they have said one thing down here but have readily jumped onto the austerity bandwagon up in Northern Ireland so maybe we are looking at the party who will be taking Fianna Fails mantle in all ways as well ;)

Going back on topic. Whilst I am not a major fan of this current Government we have to look at them in several different contexts. They inherited a complete and utter shambles from the previous monkeys (Michael saw no evil, heard no evil and spoke on evil in his 14 years at the cabinet table apparently!), we were already in the clutches of the troika by the time they took power so in reality they had to continue along the path that the FF led Government had already capitulated to. We also have a coalition Government which means that they will be less effective given the two different sets of agendas and policies in the parties. I really find it hard to comprehend that people do not realise that when a party is in coalition that compromises will have to occur. I believe that they have done a average job so far but have an awful lot more to achieve, they are certainly a major improvement on the FF led Governments that surrendered our financial sovereignty.

From my perspective and given the recent noises coming from Hanafin and Coughlin it looks like FF are just as toxic as before and are ready to continue along the same vein that led us to disaster. I am already seeing stories in the press and hearing directly from people involved in construction of the FF supporting developers starting to stoke the property fire again in the Dublin area. Think about this before you vote for FF or mini FF (SF) at the next elections.

As for the argument that this Government should be creating jobs in the PS area that is rubbish as well. If this Government want to reduce the dole queues it needs to bring the cost of public services down for businesses and allow the SME sector of this country to flourish. This is the only way you will make a major dent into the over four hundred thousand out of work at the moment.

FF should never be forgiven for the complete mess they made of our country whilst they were in power and remember its not the first time that they have nearly destroyed this country financially. Again like SF and their murderers if they at least dropped all those associated with the previous Governments failed stewardship of the country then people could contemplate that they had turned a corner but given that some of the rats are crawling back out from the rocks they scurried under when the going got tough then I think we know what kind of organisation they are. One that is extremely toxic to the well being of the citizens of this country.

gandalf wrote: »
    Sorry have to respond to this. The current leader of SF would be the most unsuitable person to lead this country. Whilst the other leaders have sins to confess to at least they do not have their hands drenched in blood from directly being responsible for murder. Adams does. He also was a parachuted candidate in Louth and initially seemed completely clueless about Politics down south of the border. He has questions to answer about his brothers child abuse of his niece. Maybe after he and all those directly involved in terrorist activities fade into the background then SF might become a viable option for the general population. Then again they have said one thing down here but have readily jumped onto the austerity bandwagon up in Northern Ireland so maybe we are looking at the party who will be taking Fianna Fails mantle in all ways as well ;)

Going back on topic. Whilst I am not a major fan of this current Government we have to look at them in several different contexts. They inherited a complete and utter shambles from the previous monkeys (Michael saw no evil, heard no evil and spoke on evil in his 14 years at the cabinet table apparently!), we were already in the clutches of the troika by the time they took power so in reality they had to continue along the path that the FF led Government had already capitulated to. We also have a coalition Government which means that they will be less effective given the two different sets of agendas and policies in the parties. I really find it hard to comprehend that people do not realise that when a party is in coalition that compromises will have to occur. I believe that they have done a average job so far but have an awful lot more to achieve, they are certainly a major improvement on the FF led Governments that surrendered our financial sovereignty.

From my perspective and given the recent noises coming from Hanafin and Coughlin it looks like FF are just as toxic as before and are ready to continue along the same vein that led us to disaster. I am already seeing stories in the press and hearing directly from people involved in construction of the FF supporting developers starting to stoke the property fire again in the Dublin area. Think about this before you vote for FF or mini FF (SF) at the next elections.

As for the argument that this Government should be creating jobs in the PS area that is rubbish as well. If this Government want to reduce the dole queues it needs to bring the cost of public services down for businesses and allow the SME sector of this country to flourish. This is the only way you will make a major dent into the over four hundred thousand out of work at the moment.

FF should never be forgiven for the complete mess they made of our country whilst they we in power and remember its not the first time that they have nearly destroyed this country financially. Again like SF and their murderers if they at least dropped all those associated with the previous Governments failed stewardship of the country then people could contemplate that they had turned a corner but given that some of the rats are crawling back out from the rocks they scurried under when the going got tough then I think we know what kind of organisation they are. One that is extremely toxic to the well being of the citizens of this country.

what a long post didn't read it. I am going to guess it goes along the lines of the usual anti republican ****e, to be expected from blueshirts. It must be hard to take that s.f are growing bigger and stronger every day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

what a long post didn't read it. I am going to guess it goes along the lines of the usual anti republican ****e, to be expected from blueshirts. It must be hard to take that s.f are growing bigger and stronger every day.

I'm not particularly anti republican but I am anti parties who have no concrete fiscal policies. IF Adams and co want to be taken seriously they need to back off on the well worn slogans and start showing some actual substance.

Advertisement